By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevorh

Here is a list of all the postings Trevorh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
04/11/2016 10:41:46

I had the same drill and the same result - ended up stripping the whole drill down and breaking the chuck off piece by piece. Only problem was it was a nightmare to rebuild.

By the time I had finished it was actually cheaper to go buy a new drill......

Thread: Gaskets
19/09/2016 11:08:28

Try using a Paper Drill Bit - gives a perfect hole in most soft materials

google paper drill bits

cheers

Trevor

Thread: MEX Photos for those that stayed home
16/09/2016 15:50:05

Easy

"Good Grief"

shortly followed by

"its going to be a long day today"

Trevor

Thread: Alpine Engineering bench drill
13/09/2016 11:19:08

Hi John, Yes thats the one, the DM 50, it is a bit of a beast and not the easiest to work on,

I have already had to fit new spindle bearings and getting the drive pulley's off needed a lot of Persuasion with pullers and pry bars.

But having a MT 2 taper means I can cover most sizes, I am actually going to the show this weekend to look at down sizing to a WM16 or similar but want to have a look at the actual machine to get a feel for it

cheers

Edited By Trevorh on 13/09/2016 11:24:25

13/09/2016 09:02:57

Hi Mike

I have the Alpine Mill Drill machine and had the same problem as you, you can get access to the cap heads by cutting down an Allen key almost onto the bend, then with the middle set of pulley's removed you can get to all of the screws that hold the Bottom half of the guard in place

hope this helps

Trevor

Thread: tools with memories
26/08/2016 09:10:02

Now that does bring back horrible memories, we had to produce that same square with in a square piece using 1" plate, they made us chisel 1 edge (to apparently teach us how to use a hammer and chisel) Hacksaw the adjoining edge to stop us using the hacksaw like a rocking chair (got to keep those elbows straight)

the 2 opposing edges where by hand file

all had to be square, then remove the centre and make a square hole again filing for ever and ever until as square as could be seen by eye

now make a square plug for the hole

lastly polish both sides and keep wrapped in an oil soaked rag for 4 years and promptly throw away

Trevor

Thread: Wi Fi router
25/08/2016 14:25:54

Why not just run an ethernet cable from the router out to the shed

it would be faster and more stable

you wouldn't need anything else simply plug the ethernet cable directly into your computer or device be it a splitter box or ?

Trevor

Edited By Trevorh on 25/08/2016 14:34:25

Thread: Compressor only works for one cycle
25/08/2016 14:11:07

Probably the reed valves not sealing properly due to getting hot or there cracked

they are at least quite easy to strip the heads off and check

Abac actually sell spare parts as well

Trevor

Thread: what collets?
15/07/2016 10:28:50

Thanks for the reply Jason,

I will look into this, Just slightly confused as never had to work with collets before so I am unsure on the Pro's and cons of each variety/type and as you say trying to get down in size from the 1224 is another big factor, in hind sight I should have purchased a smaller lathe.

Thanks

Edited By Trevorh on 15/07/2016 10:30:05

15/07/2016 08:56:55

Sorry to Hijack the thread but is there a way to use collects on a Warco 1224? or is it the same answer that I would need a back plate first and again would there be a prefference to the best type suited to such a lathe

Trevor

Thread: Strange Tools
17/06/2016 14:25:59

Oh most definately my wife works in that department for cleaning them

Thats how I got first refusal on them

17/06/2016 12:27:56

Thanks for the comments lads, I was thinking along the lines of trying to reshape them to use on the lathe or possibley as a broaching part

the ones shown are already ground as some form of chisel and are quite weighty

cheers

17/06/2016 12:06:35

I have just been given these tools from my local hospital as they were being thrown out

1. What will they be made from

2. What can I change them into

Tools.jpgmany thanks

Thread: Brain Teaser
04/03/2016 16:31:45

but sam you are forgetting that you can get seamless pipe in stainless - I use it for my solvent installations, and I think there is also the seamless Black pipe

cheers

04/03/2016 15:29:51

Tube is measured by OD Pipe is measured by ID

i hope

Thread: HELP! Folding Engine Hoist/Crane
22/12/2015 13:53:55

Hi Grant have sent you a PM

22/12/2015 13:44:24

Hi Grant

I live in the same village and have one you can borrow

Let me know

Thread: Oil reservoirs
03/12/2015 13:58:40

Hi TM, in heavy industry we use the felt quite regularly for bearing lubrication, you can either pre soak the felt and then fit or once fitted, pump the oil into/onto the felt but you have to make sure its saturated - literally dripping wet

then as previously stated via capillary actionthe bearings will remain lubricated

Trevorh

Thread: Stirling Engine : Laura
26/11/2015 15:46:14

Can't argue with that John, had to do similar tasks during my apprenticship...

trevor

Thread: MEM Website
26/11/2015 15:25:07

Nice one

I was using Chrome on the ipad - never thought about that

enjoy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest