By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevorh

Here is a list of all the postings Trevorh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fitting DRO to Warco GH1224 Lathe
16/03/2017 12:37:15

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 2 axis DRO from the Allendale Group (M-DRO) and wondered if anyone had installed one on a Warco GH 1224 or similar

are there any pitfalls with regard to best location for mounting them

It should arrive tomorrow so will begin to install it over the weekend hopefully

Thanks in advance for the comments

Trevor

Thread: Fitting DRO to a WM16 Mill
06/03/2017 10:39:55

So now that I have a shinny new mill what are the checks on alignment I should be doing in the knowledge that it is a chinese machine,

is there a list of "mods" under the banner of improvements that I should be looking out for

What is the correct procedure for checking run out - up/down, In/out and side to side

what is reasonable and more important is what equipment do I need to perform such tasks

Hope I get the same type of response as per the DRO

Thanks

06/03/2017 09:05:36

Many thanks to all and thanks to some excellent photo's I now have a fitted and working DRO, never had one before, but then again never had a new Mill before

I have used a combination of methods to achieve the maximum travel on both axis and am generally pleased with the result, its only the basic magnetic type but is more than accurate for my needs

I will hopefully add some photo's to my album for future ref

Once again thanks all

04/03/2017 12:12:43

Hi

I have just taken delivery of a WM16 and cannot see how to fit the DRO to the table.

The Table measures 700mm long and at 1 end has the coolant drain fitted

I have fitted the X axis with home made brackets but can't seem to find where to mount the reader head for the table

Any ideas please

sorry about not starting a new thread for this

Edited By JasonB on 04/03/2017 13:13:59

Thread: Posilock collets
20/02/2017 13:56:04

Hi John,

That was going to be another question on whether its possible to use the threaded Mills in that type of holder as the OD is the same along the complete length of the shank inclusive of the threaded area

cheers Trevor

20/02/2017 12:29:40

Thanks Neil,

that's certainly worth considering as I have both metric and imperial sets

cheers

20/02/2017 09:47:09

Hi Neil, thanks, I didn't realise that the arbor could be changed

I will check tonight

Thanks

20/02/2017 09:33:18

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Warco WM 16, My previous Mill/Drill was an old Alpine DM 25

Question - the Alpine has an MT3 where as the WM 16 has MT2

I have a set of MT3 posilock chuck, mill and cutters

Will the collets fit an MT2 chuck or do I have to start over?

All of my mills are threaded

Sorry if I haven't explained very well

Cheers

Trevor

Thread: Warco open day, March 11th
02/02/2017 11:06:49

Yes But Depends on what you are after,

Several years ago I picked up my Alpine Mill/Drill quite cheaply from one of their open days, just about to sell it back to them as I have just purchased their WM 16

Enjoy the day but beware of the Parking as it is limited and gets quite busy

Trevor

Thread: Alexandra Palace this weekend
22/01/2017 19:30:33

I went today (Sunday) and It looked quite full even at 10 when the doors opened

I went to see the warco range of mills and came away having ordered the WM16 to replace my old Alpine DM25, then went over to Machine DRO and purchased the 3 axis DRO

Now that was an expensive Day - But Planned for

Excellent show even with reduced suppliers still lots to see

Trevor

Edited By Trevorh on 22/01/2017 19:31:32

Thread: Cheap but decent Mini Tape Measure
06/01/2017 08:53:43

We still use the OD tapes in the printing industry to get the repeat size of what is being printed

just wrap it around the print cylinder and read off, this then allowed you to select the correct gearing for the print repeat you were looking for

Trevor

Thread: Best way to cut stock to size
21/12/2016 11:51:45

You can get aluminium cutting discs for the 4" angle grinder- screwfix and other places

the 1mm ones are good for neat cutting but can and do flex

cheers

trevor

Thread: WIN10 on new Laptop.
13/12/2016 09:18:28

Hi Clive

Back to your original question yes you can back load win 7

I have just had it done on my new laptop because I just could not get on with Win 10

Unfortunately I didn't do it but took it to they place of purchase and they quite happily uninstalled 10 and loaded 7

but they did comment that there is a time limit on being allowed to do this and after said time you could only get new laptops with win 10

cheers

trevor

Thread: Payment problems
07/12/2016 15:23:14

All resolved thanks Ketan

trevor

07/12/2016 14:57:57

Hi Ketan

I have sent you a pm

thanks

trevor

07/12/2016 11:52:42

Just tried to purchase a couple of parts from arceurotrade, got all the way to make payment and then get an error server message

so I press skip this stage then I get payment declined

I have sent an email to them yesterday - nothing

sent another to the contact us email

is it me or has anyone else had trouble

trevor

Thread: Help finding part
23/11/2016 16:21:57

Looks like a plug and socket for the cables

trevor

Thread: 7 x 10 etc
22/11/2016 10:05:07

Les is quite correct - I have a 1224 warco so its got a 12" swing and 24" between centres

Trevor

Thread: Scary stuff you can buy on the net
14/11/2016 12:55:25

I work in the printing industry and we use all manner of chemicals all of which are freely available as ink dilutions such as Toluene and IMS (industrial meth spirits or ethanol)

Tolly was banned a long time ago as it was just too carcinogenic/explosive when we distill it, they replaced it with MEK - justas dangerous but eco friendly apparently

IMS does have a colourant added but it gets taken out when we distill it to clean and reuse it

and yes some printers have been known to get addicted to it - but not for very long as it causes permanent brain damage and loss of sight

Trevor

Thread: Any electricians on here - advice needed
10/11/2016 15:13:57

An Installation comprises of 1 or more items and need to be bonded together and have individual earths then all earths are taken to a common point

The size of the earth wire is also as important as the Mains and shouldn't really be less than 6mm

The spikes should be driven down until you get a good reading of less than 1 ohm, if thats not possible then you start adding spikes moving away from the building usually at 5 mtr intervals until you do get the correct reading

Usually the deeper you go the better because you are more than likely to hit wet ground or the water table

I had an electrician years ago actually say to me that if you don't get a good reading just P**s on it to drag the reading down, would have served him right if he had gotten a belt from it

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest