By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevorh

Here is a list of all the postings Trevorh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Novice beginner
22/02/2012 17:51:40

Hi Les,

This method worked really well but I think I am also going to make a set of square and hexagonal blocks as David described - i think they can be really useful as a means of holding the small parts that will need drilling for split pins and so on

I must admit that when I first fitted the Tee slots to the top slide extension I didn't think I would ever need them

Just goes to show

Cheers - until the next problem

22/02/2012 17:48:31

Its a glue Jason B put me onto - it is a glue that bonds Metal and disimilar materials but not as strong as some epox glues or Loctites

I use it to fix any small or delicate parts onto larger metal pieces which then allows me to perform Light machining, you can get it from screw fix and even some of the larger Tesco stores

what I like is that after the machining you can break it away and lightly scrape the adhesive off

21/02/2012 09:17:35

Here is what I did

over view

There are a couple of more photo's showing the mod to the top slide and so on

cheers

21/02/2012 09:09:42

Just reporting Back, Success

I varied the idea's and mounted the part onto an angle block which i fitted to the modified top slide of my Warco 1224 and used a centre bit in the chuck to spot the ring and then went through with a 3/16" and then finished it off with a No 11 drill

I had previously secured the ring to the shaft using Gorilla glue which gives just enough grip to keep it in place

I will post some other photo's once I know how

Many thanks for the idea's

Edited By kerbtrawler on 21/02/2012 09:09:53

20/02/2012 15:31:11

Sorry,

forgot to say that Yes I am using a bench pillar drill with Added guidance that I have fitted to keep the mandrel true as there was a lot of movement even tho' it was new ( and cheap) ( and nasty)

20/02/2012 15:29:02

Now thats the kind of idea I can manage, I just couldn't get my head around how I could go 1/2 way, turn the job over and hope to hit the same spot.

Thank you very much for all of the suggestions, I will report back in the morning on how succesful it is

cheers

20/02/2012 14:14:04

Sorry I should have been more clear I am trying to drill a 3/16" hole through a 3/4" round bar that also has a collar on it that measures 1 1/4" od

I have to put a retaining pin through them both, I will see if I can take a photo and post it

cheers

20/02/2012 11:48:48

Hi David,

The only problem is I don't have a dividing head...

But thanks for the quick reply

20/02/2012 10:53:17

New problem,

I need to drill through the shaft that the Perch bracket sits on its 3/4" dia

each time I try on a sample peice the drill runs out - off centre by the time it comes out the other side

any tips on how to keep the drill true as it drills

04/11/2011 08:44:12
Finished fitting the yoke last night, opted for 2 taper pins in opposite diretcions through the yoke and shaft

cheers
02/11/2011 12:31:39
Thanks for the info
I might try using a couple of pins straight thro' and like you peen the ends over and then dress it back a little

thanks
02/11/2011 09:59:09
Hello all
time for the next question, I have now got to the stage of machining the front axal yoke and pinion . Which went quite well.
How do I secure the front axal yoke to the front axal?

The axal is a single machined piece of bright mild and the yoke is a plastow cast iron

Is there a preffered method because there are no suggestions on the plastow drawings

cheers

Thread: Emergency stop switch
24/04/2011 17:31:51
Hi Pailo,
as a machine installer I can confirm that yes you do have to have a stop hard wired in such a way that it is impossible for an auto restart when the e stop is released, also the machine has to come to a complete stand still within 9 seconds, further more that the E stop must be no further than 1 meter from where the machine is operated from.

cheers
10/02/2011 18:24:09
I'm actually using 1/8" copper rivets cut down to size, and giving them a slap with a 1 1/2 lb ball pain but that's not important right now.

the heating of the rivets doesn't involve any burn't fingers as i am only heating the top that requires to be formed and it certainly helps to get the desired finish, As Jason suggested it is definately easier modifying the snap to miss the edge of the aluminium cast wheel

Got say that I didn't expect this response on the subject but it just shows that there are many ways to "skin the cat"

cheers
10/02/2011 09:09:20
Many thanks for all of the input, What I will do is this weekend experiment with a combination of using a drift to start the profile of the rivet and then use the dolly to finish it off after first profiling the dolly as per your phot's jason

I will let you guys know what happens

cheers
08/02/2011 17:37:52
Ok I tried with the copper rivets and had reasonable results, first heating, then used the dolly, finally finished off with the hammer drill, quite time consuming but definatelty on the right track
Because of the amount of dissimilar metal contact, I'm not that concerned with the electrolytic reaction, if it becomes an issue it can always be cancelled out by placing a small charge through the body, but to be fair its the least of my concerns for now.

By Mistake I made a rivet with a flat head on 1 side and domed on the other - is this acceptable or is it more likley to shear under stress?

I will see if I can improve on the results and shorten the process again tonight

cheers and thanks for your supportive comments
07/02/2011 10:13:13
Hi everyone, Sorry I haven't posted for quite a while but my work load has been crazy these last couple of months, So an Update

I have finished the front axal and the hub for the front wheel, the spokes are all ready for final fitting as are the cover and locating pin, BUT I still cannot master this Bl***dy riveting

It really is driving me crazy, so tonight I am modifying a battery hammer drill along with a spare rivet snap to see what results I can achieve, I have also recently obtained an oxy/acet 1/4 size bottle set so my intention is to preheat the rivets and them use the hammer action to see if I can get a somewhere half descent result.

I will of course keep you posted, and thanks to Weldsol i know have a whole load of castings to fall back on
Thread: Midlands Model Engineering Show at Warwick
20/10/2010 13:07:32
I was there on the Saturday and was able to purchase all the items on the wish list, there seem to be a good turnout as well.
The weather held off so was able to go see the dispaly outside, all in all a good show, hadn't really noticed that some of the stands were smaller than last year.

bring on the next one - but not too quickly - need to save up again

cheers
16/08/2010 10:42:40
Well as previously mentioned Good news, I have started to assemble the spokes onto the wheel and hub assembly, What I have done is to clamp the assembly together and drill just the middle hole and secure it with a 3mm screw and nut.

my next issue is what is the best way to secure the other end of the spoke, do I rely on epoxy resin or do I drill/tap/countersink with screws on all of the spokes

Also how many screws are used to secure the cover plates over the spokes?, I have seen that 3 are used to secure the Brass outer cap.

Still pushing to have something to bring to the show.....

cheers all
14/08/2010 19:37:45
Great thanks Jason, Sam,
So basically what your saying is 
I cannot trust the scale, drawing information or the measurements (when given), so my question is this

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE DRAWINGS OTHER THAN TO GIVE AN IDEA OF WHAT THE PARTS LOOK LIKE!!!!

Why isn't there a warning about these drawings, its not as though they are cheap.....

Oh well thats got that off my chest, Back to the drawing board - in more ways than one LOL

I am now resigned to reproduce each part on Autocad to check the various assemblies which I suppose is not a bad thing, helps keep me upto speed with my cad

Have nearly finished replacing the parts that were wrong

Hope to post better news soon on the progression
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
JD Metals
walker midge
rapid Direct
BOLDON
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest