By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevorh

Here is a list of all the postings Trevorh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New subscriptions, am I thick or what?
09/08/2013 12:01:16

correct, can you honestly say that you have ever seen a topic "done to death" as this one - what's wrong with these people, Like I say I think it's great that we have access to the volume of talent and information in these formats, where else are you going to get this....

not grumpy at all.....wink

09/08/2013 10:34:42

IMHO you either want the magazine in what ever format it is presented and think it is worth the cost or you don't.

If you don't then stop wingeing and don't renew

If you do then shut up and pay up

Me I personally think the magazine is excellant for our niche hobby - who else is there out there that covers so much

Didn't realise there were so many old women out there with nothing better to do than complain, just look at how long this thread is going round and round....

Sorry if I upset any of you but tough

Thread: Mounting an electronic edge-finder
18/07/2013 14:24:32

why not make a simple reducing adaptor one end at 16mm to go into your collet and the other say 25 with a hole at 20 in the end and use a grubscrew to secure/hold it similar to a step down Morse taper adaptor

Thread: Oh No, Not again!
17/07/2013 11:41:07

Press reload and it will sort its self out I'm using win 7 chrome

this is the first time I've had this problem

Thread: AEW Horizon. Lubricant level?
04/07/2013 10:46:57

Hi All

irrespective of the type of gearbox, in Industry we always fill to just below the shaft, this ensures that the lubricant is in contact with the gears and is splashed around to coat all other parts within and allows for expansion when it gets to its optimum temperature

cheers

Thread: To Grease or to Oil, that is the question.
04/07/2013 10:38:20

It doesn't really matter as long as there is some form of lubricant applied

the choice is usually decided upon the allowed working tolerances, oil can get where grease can't

but at normal running temperatures both will get there.

Grease has a longer lasting effect but is prone to clogging

oil is less lasting but keeps the bearings free of contamination

you pays your money you takes your choice.

Thread: Head Stock Bearings
02/07/2013 11:15:26

Hi Alan,

When pre loading bearings that run at a wide range of speed we use to use the "rule of Thumb" method .001" per 1" dia of the largest Chuck to get the amount of end float, run it up and then check the Bearing Temp, making sure not to under lubricate or over lubricate ie apply the grease by finger

cheers

Thread: 3D printing Harold Hall's Grinding Rest
30/05/2013 10:30:05

Hi Jason, Paul, I think you mis understood my comment, it wasn't to use the parts in place of but as an actual template.

A drawing even in 3D can only give a limited amount of "Feel" for the part you are designing or wanting to make, But to actually see it and "Play" with it often will give a better insight as to its design and what might need tweeking before committing to steel

I was also wondering as to what the melt temperatures are and are they adjustable as i work in the Extrusion industry all be it on a lot larger machines and as such also have access to all of the various resins/ploymers

cheers

30/05/2013 09:29:41

My son has just purchased one of these 3D printers and was looking for a project for it, I think I now have the perfect use for it

That does look good, what kind of precision did you get on the individual components?

how long did it take to print off

cheers

Thread: Adjustable Tool Rest for my 8" Bench Grinder
28/05/2013 11:46:40

For the locking handles do a google search for elesa (use to be clayton & elesa ) they have a miriad of choice

regards

Thread: Tool Clearance Sale
06/11/2012 14:32:24

the 18v cordless hammer is definately good value

Thread: Dovetail Cutters
30/10/2012 10:52:15

Thanks for the tip Kwil I will give them a ring

thanks for the advice

30/10/2012 10:22:29

In this particular case would that really be an issue as the same cutter would be used to create the 2 mating parts, I understand the argument for getting what you ask for ie 60 degree should be 60 degree but as long as I use the same cutter it shouldn't really make a difference - or would it?

30/10/2012 10:09:18

To be honest thats what prompted the question when I was looking at it - it just looked wrong so I then started to think which way was the dovetail measured

thanks

30/10/2012 09:40:29

I am just starting the HH Grinding rest and have what may seem to be a simple question, the dovetail cutter, when we say 30 degree or 60 degree from what plane is the angle talking about?

What I mean to say is - is it 30 degree from the horizontal or the vertical plane?

Hope I have explained myself

thanks

Thread: Tool and Cutter Grinder
09/10/2012 10:50:49

I'm just starting the HH type rest or was until my Alpine vertical Mill/Drill spindle bearing decided to collapse on me, wouldn't have minded but I was on the final cut on one of the 50mm blocks used

oh well need to strip it and get some new bearings - wasn't in a hurry anyway

Thread: Drilling out Grubscrews?
11/07/2012 14:56:10

try contacting Cromwell tools and getting either a stellite drill bit or better is the set of screw drills

I bought my engineerss a set each and they work great on any broken screw even taps

not to highly priced but well worth it

Thread: Fan motor
11/07/2012 14:42:06

Hi There you can always go to your local transmission company and ask for High Temp Grease

Most will go upto a minimum of 200 degree C, I use various brands on my Distillation units that boil solvents upto 200 degree

cheers

Thread: Novice beginner
08/03/2012 15:35:53
Posted by David Clark 1 on 20/02/2012 15:23:40:

Hi Kerbtrawler.
That is what I thought, small hole.
Bore a square block out to fit on the bar, drill and tap and use a grub screw to nip the block to the shaft.

Put the bar in the vice, squaring up with a square.

Drill undersize halfway through, turn the bar and block over, drill through from the other side.

Drill through the collar, from both sides if neccesary.

Assemble both parts and open up to finished size.

regards David

Taking Davids idea a little further I have now made several square bars to hold the various pins for the front end assembly - it makes drilling the 1/16" holes for the split pins so easy and all 5 have come out straight and parrallel

22/02/2012 19:20:55

Hi Jason,

Sorry about that I was sure it was you, either way it works really well, its the one that looks like syrup and sets white, but needs to be ideally forced together to go off correctly

cheers

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
cowells
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest