By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevorh

Here is a list of all the postings Trevorh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco GH 1224 screw cutting problems
31/01/2014 09:43:30

Looking for help and advice on my Warco GH 1224

I have been attempting to screw cut on my lathe, and it was disastrous, I followed the chart that is on the lathe - selected the correct gears to cut a 1.25 metric thread, treated myself to an external and internal cutting tool with the correct bit attached, set the lathe to a slow speed and put a light cut on

Engaged No 1 on the dial and away it went, stopped put the saddle back to the start and set it going again this time it cut right in the middle of the first cut....!!!

started again with the same result, then noticed a lot of back lash in the saddle and the cross slide - See Photo's in the album

Question 1 what am I doing wrong

Question 2 what can I do to get rid of the back lash

Suggestions please

Please bear in mind that I have never had to cut a thread using the lathe before in my life

The photo shows the back side of the saddle

Edited By Trevorh on 31/01/2014 09:52:23

Edited By Trevorh on 31/01/2014 10:01:05

Thread: In awe of Model Engineers.
28/01/2014 12:37:06

Now there's a true engineer at work

unbelievable

Thread: Warco 1224
15/01/2014 13:55:31

The link does go to a manual and its pretty close to the GH 1224 but not exact

David don't waste your money at warco on the book it's next to useless I bought a new GH1224 a couple of years ago from them, the lathe its self is fine but forget about any descent documentation

I have made a couple of changes to mine to make it a little more usable like removing some of the casting on the tail stock so that the top slide doesn't hit it when working on supported work

Also added a set of "T" slots on the top slide so I can mount extra fixtures

1 problem I do have is because the Chinese can't measure I have to use 12mm tool bits and not the 16mm as the tool post has been machined to take 15mm??

this will be remedied by fitting a quick change tool post so I can set the correct height

Enjoy

Thread: Local Clubs, and where to find them?
04/01/2014 19:19:52

Hi Ed

I'm a mile or so away from you, why not start your own club ?

you might be surprised how many people are close enough to make it happen

cheers

Thread: Drill press KTF-13
02/01/2014 09:04:09

Hi, if it is assembled like the old Alpine then its quite straight forward

with the spindle in the raised position you need to remove the coiled tensioner spring

next remove the 3 handles and gently pull out the splined shaft

once this is out you can now -by hand- lower the main shaft out as a unit

once out there will be a couple of circlips to be removed and then the inner shaft can be removed

you now have access to all of the main components - had to do this to my Alpine to change the Taper roller bearings the other month

cheers

Thread: Extra Special Subscription Gift for Model Engineers’ Workshop
05/12/2013 15:46:04

Freebie arrived yesterday looks good

no issues here

Thread: Decent vernier height gauges ?
18/11/2013 10:39:30

I went through the Filing for months on end and had the square block through the square hole exercise, we had to use the shaper on 1 face, file on the 2nd face, Mill on the 3rd face and a hand chisel on the 4th face then file all faces to fit, finishing off with a hand scraper and engineers blue, Bloody thing took for ever to make only to be tossed in the scrap bin when we had finished and passed the inspection....but it taught you all of the options in machining vs hand tools

But after that you could file to almost any given standard and produce good quality work

Even received my parchment paper indentures

Thread: Extra Special Subscription Gift for Model Engineers’ Workshop
18/11/2013 10:29:23

Hi David,

Just extended my subscription by Phone - very easy and painless, they even asked which promotional code I wanted, so gave the code x228 and hopefully in 20 or so days will get the drill chuck.

cheers

04/11/2013 12:54:17

Hi David,

So how does this work for those on automatic renewals Mine should be getting renewed any day now automatically as I pay by DD,

Should I cancel and then renew or do nothing and wait

Thanks for trying to explain to all and sundry

cheers

30/10/2013 12:34:51

Hi David

Thank god was about to buy one

trevor

Edited By Trevorh on 30/10/2013 12:58:06

Thread: A very small Shaping Machine ...
22/10/2013 09:10:24

Ok so where do I get the plans for the flat bed planer,

Haven't seen one of those since I worked in the oil industry when machine shops where real machine shops,

I use to operate 1 that had a bed travel/stroke of 10' - thats approx 3mtr in old money and was driven by old leather flat belts

Thread: Sharpening Carbide tipped tools
17/10/2013 09:12:08

Morning Thor/Mechman,

Thor I was thinking more along the lines of an "idiots" guide for example HSS use Pink grit wheel, for tungsten use Green and so on

Mechman sorry but I can't get your link to work

Thanks

16/10/2013 09:38:40

Would it not be a good idea for someone out there to post a list of the types and colours of of the grind wheels and stones, I can never remember what is best for what, I am sure someone will know

Thread: Prescription Safety Glasses
16/10/2013 09:33:35

Most one stop shops supply Over Safety Glasses that fit over and around existing glasses I have to use them when I go into various factories try Arco and the like

Thread: PTFE or not
18/09/2013 18:01:18

if the products are nylon then the colour refers to the hardness and machine-ability

white being the softest then Blue and finally black, there are If I remember 2 more colours in the set

all except white are good bearing materials with low co-efficient of slip and excellent machining qualities - used in the print/packaging industry all the time

cheers

Thread: gib strips
16/09/2013 15:41:33

sounds good to me

cheers

16/09/2013 14:29:14

Looking for some advise on the HH Drill Grinding rest, in the dovetails should the Gib strips be made of EN1 or Brass?

or does it not matter?

thanks

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
16/09/2013 08:52:43

Hi Martin,

if its the same as my 1224 then use the chuck key, I had to extend mine so I didn't keep loosing the odd knuckle - make sure you make a wooden tray to go under the chuck to protect the slideways

when they drop they go with a bang

Thread: Macc Models
22/08/2013 09:09:28

I too have never had problems with Macc although only ever ordered very small quantities

BUT why do people always assume that just because they press SEND that the email gets to its intended, Not true they go missing all of the time

I supply spare parts and we always followup with a phone call to check that the email arrived and then follow that with a confirmation and ask that they confirm receipt of the quote, you cannot assume rightly or wrongly that just because you sent the email that it got there

hoping that this actually gets to the forum!

Thread: Power Advice
22/08/2013 09:05:50

Kw x 1.341 = HP

regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
cowells
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest