By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevorh

Here is a list of all the postings Trevorh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Moving Machines
26/03/2014 16:28:47

I used an engine hoist 2T on wheels it even had a telescopic boom, Fleabay £80

My Warco weighed over 150 kg, I was able to pull it into place no problem, BUT you do need head room for the boom and to get the angle on the lifting slings Min 120 Degree

cheers

Thread: Removing laquer from clock brass
17/03/2014 14:05:29

If you know anyone in the printing industry try Ethyl Acetate or MEK they tend to shift all know laquers and coatings

need to where gloves tho' as they are serious degreasing agents and very flammable

Thread: Tool grinding jig
17/03/2014 12:31:27

Hi John how would you actually use this tool holder - have it moveable or have the grinder moveable?

17/03/2014 12:30:23

Have a look at this link here

cheers

Thread: Colouring Aluminium
07/02/2014 12:38:41

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I'm after

That's my weekend sorted then

cheers

Thread: Milling ceramic tiles - socket cutouts etc
07/02/2014 12:16:31

Hi Martin

Maybe one of these - but will it cut laterally I wonder?

**LINK**

yes it will on a slow feed and you will end up with a neat and smooth cut out

I have used these in the middle of large-ish tiles with no problem

Even used a hand drill and had reasonable results

enjoy

07/02/2014 12:02:34

The part that I am making or will be is a customised Light sabre handle - don't ask!

but non the less it needs to be coloured

cheers

07/02/2014 11:58:04

Thanks Ian,

I don't have any preference as long as its not the original colour of the aluminium, probably Black or any other strong colour such as Red or Blue, that's the reason for the question really as I am not sure what is available out there.

I don't really want to paint it as I am not sure of the finish I could get

cheers

Thread: QCTP for Warco WM240 Lathe
07/02/2014 11:47:44

For,

I have just purchased the QCTP for my Warco GH1224 from Warco as the others didn't match the post that it fit's to

Very pleased with it and the ease of setting the tool height is very easy

cheers

07/02/2014 11:33:37

I have a project that calls for some Aluminium round bar to be coloured permanently, what options do I have, what colours?

it will be a type of Handle/Grip similar to the handle on a sword or staff

thanks

Thread: Milling ceramic tiles - socket cutouts etc
07/02/2014 08:57:58

Use diamond grit tipped hole cutter and just traverse the tile - worked for me

you can get a good clean hole at reasonable speeds

Edited By Trevorh on 07/02/2014 08:58:39

Thread: Beware-Scammers (new thread title)
04/02/2014 08:27:20

Works fine for me

cheers

Thread: Warco GH 1224 screw cutting problems
03/02/2014 09:32:14

Well Just reporting back

Success on the screw cutting front, I rebuilt the saddle giving it a much needed oil change, cleaned up the various gibbs and slide ways, Opened up the lubrication oil ways that were completely blocked by what appears to be sand, Changed all of the Chinese screws,caps and grub screws for standard European ones and finally removed the some of the backlash in the moving parts

Read the Grizzly manual and applied the comments already received

Guess what - First attempt managed to cut a nice M12, then an M10 and M6

On this particular lathe the Half nut must be kept engaged when cutting metric threads but is dis engaged when cutting imperial threads as per the advise given

Now that I know the VERY basics I am happy to invest in a book to learn the intricacies of threading

Many many thanks to those who posted

01/02/2014 09:11:44

Hi John,

If the book had any relavance to the controls and methods required to screw cut on my particular model lathe then of course I would have purchased a copy but as it has very little information that would be useful in this situation I didn't bother

Its better to understand the controls first then understand the operation you perform

Before you take a driving lesson you are taught what the controls are first.

31/01/2014 20:46:40

thank you for all of the support and answers

I will be rebuilding the saddle over the weekend and have downloaded a copy of the manual

Shall be experimenting next week so will keep you all posted on the outcome

cheers

31/01/2014 13:09:32

Many thanks Martin, Bazyle,

That's excellent information for me

1. Martin, Once I have re assembled the saddle I will experiment with how you have described, actually sounds logical

2. Bazyle, Thanks for that, I hadn't understood what was doing what when screw cutting so that again makes sense, and it is actually as you have stated

Its looking at least that its me and not the equipment, which is somewhat of a relief, because at least I can learn by my mistakes

Cheers

31/01/2014 11:41:04

Hi Mick,

good question, I don't know but it came with the gears to cut both and as you can see from the chart it does list both, I did wonder about keeping the Half nuts closed and just stopping and reversing back to the front but that comes back to my initial point that due to the backlash in the saddle it still kept damaging the first cut

It could be possible that I do need to reset the half nuts but that will not address the play in all of the saddle gearing - I mean it really is a lot of play (shake rattle and roll type play)

Please see the other photo's in my album

cheers

Edited By Trevorh on 31/01/2014 11:42:54

31/01/2014 11:26:16

Hi Martin, thank you for your reply,

You say that the threading is from 1 direction but how do you then remove back to the start of the thread?, surely you have to wind out the cutter and then move the saddle back to the end of the bar, turn the cross slide back to the original distance and add a little to cut deeper (I assume I am suppose to take multiple cuts to get the depth correct)

Next point

Please see the photo's of the tables img_2915.jpg

img_2916.jpg

My example is that I wanted a 1.25 mm pitch so according to the chart

I select M II and B 2 using the gears 22T and 45T, if I am reading it correctly will traverse and cut at 1.25

If that's not the case could you explain Please

Tonight I will clean and check the setting of the half nuts but I need to clean the whole unit first and replace some Chinese fittings for something more reliable

cheers

Edited By Trevorh on 31/01/2014 11:27:40

31/01/2014 09:59:30

Then there's all the dirt in the bottom of the housing

img_2904.jpg

31/01/2014 09:58:06

I have actually removed the saddle completely off the lathe and have begun to strip it down and have found several things that do not look to clever, for example the siliconed plug - bear in mind this is how it arrived from New, I never saw it as its located on the base of the saddle

img_2899.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest