By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Niloch

Here is a list of all the postings Niloch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Has anyone seen one of these pillar drills before?
30/03/2013 15:47:30
Posted by fizzy on 30/03/2013 15:25:36:

.........its a very desirable milling machine!!

I really must go to Specsavers, I can see neither an x nor a y axis! Isn't the junction between the bed/table and the remainder of the machine rather slender? Is it a marriage?

Thread: Visiting UK from Aus
29/03/2013 11:00:09

Sorry, but you have to make a detour.

Basingstoke to here about 45 minutes. Awesome!!!!!

And then, after having done some 'poor' map-reading (or so your wife will think) end up here by mistake.  Equally awesome!!!!

Edited By Niloch on 29/03/2013 11:05:58

27/03/2013 15:07:06

Also in Hampshire:**LINK**

Triple expansion steam engine currently electrically driven but they are the recipients of a large lottery grant to restore the Babcock boilers. Regrettably my information is that not all the asbestos was removed by contractors several years ago, thereby, causing delays presently.

There is also ADMES

Not quite in Hampshire, but one of my favourite railway sites

Thread: Milling Vice.
22/03/2013 23:45:01

Warco DH1 with three out of the four varieties of jaws available - excellent.

Thread: Speedy Boiler
22/03/2013 23:31:03
Posted by craig fowler on 21/03/2013 10:39:01:

The problem ive got is that ive designed an engine myself (a freelance generic design) and so ive designed the boiler myself.

The best article I've ever read about boiler design is entitled Safety of Copper Boilers by Kozo Hiraoka, I suspect it has appeared in several publications including his book Building the New Shay:

**LINK**

In the above book it extends to nine pages with graphs for:

(1) Minimum staybolt diameters;

(2) Maximum allowable pitch of symmetrically arranged staybolts;

(3) Minimum thickness for a cylindrical shell under internal pressure; etc. etc.

In terms of authorship per se, never mind the subject of the book, I suspect those familiar with Hiraoka's books might concur that they are amongst the best ever produced for the model engineer. The quantity, clarity and the draughtsmanship of his drawings/illustrations are a revelation.

It has to be said that his paper has been produced to meet American Society of Mechanical Engineers codes/regulations but I would find it very difficult to understand why a British boiler tester would fail a boiler produced to the exacting ASME standards.

The book is expensive so I would suggest a visit to your local public library.

Thread: Wood Turning Book recommendations
20/03/2013 23:10:56

You might find some useful information here:

**LINK**

Thread: Drill chuck arbor
09/03/2013 10:42:01

Thank you very much indeed.

09/03/2013 00:24:24

I'm afraid it doesn't Trevor, RDG's part no. 772 has a tang and not a thread for a drawbar. Thank you anyway.

08/03/2013 23:02:36

Does anyone know of a supplier, British or otherwise, of a MT2/B10 arbor with one end threaded for a drawbar? Thank you.

Thread: Traction engine
02/03/2013 22:51:26

An alternative and possibly cheaper option to buying the book is to try and acquire the relevant Model Engineer volumes. The words and music (construcion serial) for Minnie began in January 1969 ending in September 1970.

02/03/2013 14:26:21

What about the 1" Minnie from here or the 11/2" (is that your second specified scale?) Allchin from here

Thread: Centec
23/02/2013 20:51:02

You might get help here.

Thread: CNC Router
04/02/2013 23:03:08

Just like most people I suppose I only peruse those sections of a supplier’s catalogue that really interest me and/or are relevant to my needs. I hadn’t therefore previously encountered the video included in the High Speed Spindles, Motors & Inverters section of Arceurotrade’s on-line catalogue. On this occasion I did so just by chance.

There followed a good number of viewings of YouTube videos of CNC routers and readings of good number of the posts at the mycncuk .com forum. I wondered whether MEW could cover the subject in some depth in the not too distant future. Those of us who have been subscribers for a few years will , of course, remember the router construction series over three issues in early 2009, nos, 148, 149 & 150 where several of the components were made of wood.

I feel sure that the technology must have advanced a good deal and suppliers become more numerous since, witness for example, the Arceurotrade inventory. My own interest would lie in using such a machine for horological activities, therefore, a machine rigid enough to cut brass would be a pre-requisite.

Is there someone out there who could author a series for MEW with the Editor’s permission of course, in reviewing the current technology, listing suppliers, providing a glossary of terms and abbreviations and, foremost, detailing the construction of a viable machine.

As an aside it doesn’t take a Professor Brian Cox to realize that one of the contributors to mycncuk is a frequent poster here also, could his ancestor have had something to do with ‘The Rocket’ locomotive perhaps? Slightly different spelling though I believe. Perhaps he could identify an author.

Edited By Niloch on 04/02/2013 23:15:21

Thread: Buying way bellows !!
29/01/2013 11:37:36

Is this any use to you?

Thread: Dividing
26/01/2013 16:56:26

Hello Boldminer,

It may sound trite, smart alecky and unhelpful for your circumstances but the sale of my Myford dividing head in its original packaging plus one of Mrs Stevenson's plates raised 85% of the purchase price for one of these

I have used it to cut three of the large wheels for Wildings clock. A big thank you to Mr Jeffree - the designer!

Edited By Niloch on 26/01/2013 16:57:44

Thread: Stuart Turner S-Type Info needed
19/01/2013 11:52:42

Hello Jason,

I'm aware that my remark is highly subjective and probably contentious but couldn't you have chosen something rather more attractive than this ugly beast!

I have book-marked both your Bigger Benson and your bigger Easton & Anderson for future constructional consideration and I go back to them time and time again to learn some of your techniques. As a beginner I feel the more detail in your build threads the better.

I realise that the 'bigger' flywheel would be a challenge in both suggestions for those of us of limited skill and with 3.5" centre height lathes but what about a bigger Scotchcrank Engine of 1846 (ME November 1998), 9" dia. flywheel (standard size) or maybe a bigger McOnie's Oscillating Engine (ME April 2008) flywheel 8".

Best wishes and many thanks for your efforts..

Edited By Niloch on 19/01/2013 11:53:32

Thread: New DRO
18/01/2013 17:37:12

Al,

I have a Centec 2B, as well as do two other members of my mod. eng. soc. I installed three axis DRO (glass scales) from the company that advertises on the right here. 'Had to fabricate one small bracket myself for the X-axis, otherwise, those supplied by the company did the job, although, I freely admit that photographs of a colleagues 2B DRO system from the same supplier helped shorten my installation time considerably. My Centec is probably about 60 years old so Jim's comments above about (a) backlash is particularly relevant and (b) the transformation in usage of the machine is mightily significant.

Thread: Woodwork machinery site suggestions
18/01/2013 13:03:00

Whereabouts are you RobC? Four months ago I saw a couple of Union Graduate bowl turning lathes, i.e. no bed/tailstock at my local scrapyard in Hampshire. Clearly ex-school and therefore probably three-phase. No idea as to condition, price nor present availability.

Thread: Mr.Redgrave's wanted ad. regarding 5" Star/Castle loco.
12/01/2013 21:50:00

Sorry, 'have since seen your posting on the above forum, I was just trying to be helpful!

12/01/2013 12:57:22

I am not a locomotive builder but I do know that Mr. Peter Rich contributes occasionally to this forum, he may be able to help. His avatar is Taff and you will even be able to see his e-mail address if you search 'members'.

I tried sending you a PM via the hugely sophisticated software that this forum uses but was unable to do so a few moments ago.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate