By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Niloch

Here is a list of all the postings Niloch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Setting Up A Tormach PCNC Mill With ATC
21/07/2014 22:16:40

I see from your profile that you are UK based. Is your Tormach a personal import or is there now a dealer for these machines in the UK?

Thread: Drilling Holes in copper tube
07/06/2014 20:33:39

+3; 'have drilled 84 x 12mm & 2 x 20mm holes in 10SWG copper with this

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
09/05/2014 22:27:29

Rod, Norman and Graham,

I've got to be honest and say that the Ashmolean exhibition was slightly disappointing in terms of the quantity of Cezanne oils on show, a good number of rather less impressive Cezanne watercolours and several Chaim Soutine oils which were not to my taste at all. The Ashmolean has undergone expensive re-furbishment in the last three or four years and is much better for it.

Even Jamie's Italian had it's faults on this occasion; why is it that the use of chilli is so prevalent/fashionable?

My wife and I made use of Oxford's Park & Ride facility where we encountered a feature that we had not experienced previously. One had to enter the registration number of one's vehicle when purchasing the parking ticket and there was no need to take the ticket back to the car for display. However, I did notice a small van with two roof mounted registration plate recognition cameras going along the lanes slowly!

Graham, if you like sculpture Google the work of Jaume Plensa, my wife and I saw his exhibition at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park last year - wonderful. Far better than the contemporary British gang.

09/05/2014 20:15:31

Went to the Ashmolean for the Cezanne and the Modern exhibition.

Thread: ADMES
27/04/2014 20:21:43

The monsoons were late leaving Hampshire this year, in consequence ADMES' first open day for 2014 on April 6th was a rather damp affair.

We sincerely hope that the 4th May will be in complete contrast with the sunshine showing the bluebells and our location to their best.

Do come along to exploit our facilities and experience, most probably, the friendliest club you are likely to encounter. Even so, if intending to run steam, please bring along the appropriate documentation.

Earlier posts in this thread such as the one for 21/10/2012 gives a link for all the relevant information. See you there?

Thread: Myford Paint (Grey)
24/03/2014 12:32:09

Isn't this what you need?

Thread: 12mm copper pipe
21/03/2014 19:30:12

Well done KWIL for finding a source of supply even if it might be the Imperial equivalent. When I wanted some 12mm eighteen months ago I drew a blank everywhere including trying Screwfix and Wickes.

British mini-bore central heating copper pipe uses 10mm (not to be confused with the 6mm micro-bore) but the French use 12mm and I was fortunate enough to get some on ebay eventually.

As to whether you can get it in readiness for Monday, I'm doubtful but then you might be able to buy a foot-passenger passage on a ferry! There is a branch of LeroyMerlin in Calais, bring back a coil and sell off what you don't need, thereby paying your expenses!!

Thread: Schools Class 7.1/4"
21/03/2014 08:56:58

I suspect that an enquiry from this society would be the most fruitful. Until recently a fellow ADMES member owned one, I believe the original owner built it in 1936 but my colleague maintained it well and had it re-boilered. I also believe it was featured in the not too distant past in the 7.25" society magazine.

Thread: A coping saw for metal
20/03/2014 08:47:06

Vallorbe piercing saw blades also available from Cooksons

Edited By Katy Purvis on 19/06/2015 09:51:05

Thread: Machine Mart offers.
23/02/2014 22:38:46
Posted by Russ B on 23/02/2014 22:14:00:
My favourite, which I've yet to find in the UK is from LittleMachineShop, it's a mini metal cutting bandsaw (the horizontal type)

Maybe you would consider this Milwaukee version available from many British stockists:

Thread: Meddings pedestal drill
16/01/2014 09:15:41

Can only help with one of your issues, I fitted one of these to my drill two or three years ago.

Thread: Federation Boiler certificates UK
15/01/2014 07:32:02

There is a thread on the Model Engineering Clearing House Forum which is called Boiler Design, Construction and Testing which will probably answer your questions.

Edited By Niloch on 15/01/2014 07:35:33

Thread: Local Clubs, and where to find them?
06/01/2014 20:12:58

Guess!

06/01/2014 19:45:23

Stratfield Saye village hall is about 30 miles from me, Guildford Club House: 50. The former I'd love to do, the latter is too far. My Maserati Ghibli will only do 15m.p.g. I wouldn't have much to contribute but I find the company of model engineers stimulating. Can you think again please?

Please don't believe everything you read!

Thread: Horizontal Corliss Engine
06/01/2014 19:36:14

That Niloch is something of a simpleton, he can't count. No storage space Jo, don't be ridiculous; I'll have it here....................permanently!?!?!?

Thread: Local Clubs, and where to find them?
04/01/2014 12:03:41

ADMES (see above) has it's annual table top steam evening. I don't deny that there is a preponderance of Mamod, Wilesco and Jensen 'toy' engines but Stuart engines and boilers have also made an appearance. Perhaps, for the next such evening. I should invite Jo & JasonB to come and show us the results of their prodigious skills.

03/01/2014 22:46:28

Not forgetting ADMES and again here

Thread: Horizontal Corliss Engine
23/12/2013 23:10:31

I have just been given a set of drawings on 13 sheets, probably dye-line prints, for a very impressive horizontal Corliss engine model, probably a mill engine. Despite their susceptibility to fade in daylight, all sheets are in extremely good condition. They were drawn by Arnold Throp using Imperial dimensions and Superscale Ltd has been crossed out and replaced by Fleet Model Services. They were produced in March 1981 and all the drawings were 'approved' by a T.Fleet.

The flywheel is 9.75” in diameter with a face of 2” and to include the condenser the engine is about 28” long. It is drawn with a Hartnell Governor. Interestingly the sheet which shows the crankshaft gives five versions:

1. Shaft for single cylinder engine and all corliss compound.

2. Shaft for tandem compound with S.V. (Slide Valve ?) L.P. (Low Pressure?) cylinder.

3. Shaft for cross compound with S.V. L.P. Cylinder.

4. Shaft for cross compound all Corliss.

5. Shaft for twin tandem and four cylinder triple expansion, this component in model form is 12.75” long!

It seems likely that the drawings may include details for more than one version, e.g. one sheet includes 'tie-bars for tandem cylinders'.

Is there anything known about this model? Have the words and music appeared in the model engineering press? Are there images of a completed model? Are there castings available? It is way beyond my abilities, even at twice full size, the trip gear and dash pot arrangement looks fearsomely complicated. However, I would find it interesting to know a little more about the pedigree of the model. Thank you.

Thread: BR Leader class Steam engine
11/12/2013 23:38:24
Posted by John Besley on 11/12/2013 20:38:27:

- anyone remember the ACE2000 (American Coal Enterprise) plans back in the 1980's they even went as far as modifying Ross Rowland's C&O 4-8-4 to get some data together

There was available at one time a VHS video from here entitled C & O 614T Coal Tests - The March to Hinton showing details of the above. Regrettably the title doesn't seem to have made it to DVD. Ross Rowland was in fact chairman of American Coal Enterprises as well as the owner of 614T

Thread: Metalcrafting art
09/12/2013 21:31:48

I will not even attempt a definition of art but I have been guilty of buying both two and three dimensional original art works for forty years or more. All I care about is that these works appeal to me and continue to give me great satisfaction. They have been bought because of this appeal as opposed to any perceived investment value.

The Royal Academy Summer Show has been mentioned, I don’t think my wife and I have missed one for a dozen years or more, similarly Art in Action is high on our list of visits every July. I’m pleased to say that we own some works by at least half a dozen Royal Academicians not because they are RA’s but because their work appeals. We have even visited the studios of two RA’s and bought work at a discount.

Open studio events have increased tremendously in popularity in the last decade or so, they are a fertile ground to discover what does and what does not appeal to your sensibilities. It is not difficult to develop an ‘eye’ for the better quality work and to buy before an artist becomes popular and prices increase once they are taken on by a gallery (or galleries).

Ceramics and glass are amongst the 3D work that appeals; there are shows which cater for the ceramic collector, several British potters being held in high regard.

Commercial glass such as LaLique and Baccarat will always be popular but one has to understand that each piece is one of thousands despite the high prices. The London Glassblowing Centre (Google) is a fascinating place to visit as it is a working and selling studio/gallery; the furnaces ensure that even on a cold day you are nice and warm.

In the earlier posts of this thread there is some emphasis on the ‘best’ work of art and I guess ‘sculpture’ is the genre being considered. Not so long ago my wife and I had the pleasure of visiting the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, wherein, there was a ‘retrospective’ of the work of the Spanish artist Jaume Plensa. The work that I remember the most is this one:

**LINK**

In the YSP installation the gongs were in the form of a circle in a room where light was very much subdued and padded mallets were provided for the ‘viewers’ to tap the gongs. Their size and curvature was such that each one made an individual noise of low frequency, all very magical. Generating these innovative and new installations/ideas is what great art is all about.

The icing on the cake for us was to be able to buy in the YSP shop a limited edition print by Plensa at an acceptably low price.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate