By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stewart Hart

Here is a list of all the postings Stewart Hart has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sine Protractor
11/01/2018 18:42:57

Just completed this sine protractor.

dsc03218.jpg

Its simple to use the distance between the centres is 100mm so to set it to desired angle its just the sine of the angle times 100 move the decimal place two jumps to the right.

This is how you set it:-

Zero you digital height gauge on the top of the roller.

dsc03220.jpg

For 30 deg the sine is 0.5 so the height to set the roller is 50mm

dsc03221.jpg

Then just use it to set your work at the angle

dsc03227.jpg

You can obviously work the other way and use it to measure angles.

Stew

Thread: Tool Makers Clamps Variations on a Theme
09/01/2018 06:13:39
Posted by Robert Dodds on 08/01/2018 15:13:25:

Stewart,

Two views of an angle clamp based on the classic toolmakers clamp. Made in 1940's and still useful today.
Bob D

That's a useful looking bit of Kit Robert it looks as though the angle plate has been fabricated.

Stew

08/01/2018 14:41:44

We've all come across the classic tool makers clamps I bet quite a few of you made them when you were at school or college. But I didn't realise just how many variations there were until I started browsing through some old American Machinist Magazines on line:-

So this is the score so far

The Classic these are my well used collection.

dsc03196.jpg

And a few variations I've come across:-

americanmachinis53newyuoft_0617 crop.jpg

americanmachinis57newyuoft_0158 crop.jpg

image (10) crop.jpg

image (11) crop.jpg

image (17) crop.jpg

image (3) crop.jpg

And this is my own effort of the last example

dsc03193.jpg

I made them as I thought they would be easy to use one handed whilst the other hand held something in place

dsc03194.jpg

Can any one add to the list ?.

Stew

Thread: One Hand Operated Depth Gauge
06/01/2018 19:04:38

I came across this in an old American Machinist Magazine, and thought it would make a simple project, that would produce a handy bit of kit.

crop 3.jpg

This is what I came up with :-

img_4340.jpg

Its very Simple to use

Just press the rod until its reaches the bottom, the spring loaded plunger keeps the rod in place.

dsc03155.jpg

Then zero the digi vernier on the thick bar and then take the direct measurement of the hole depth,

dsc03157.jpg

I knocked this up in a couple of hours this morning.

Stew

Thread: Starrett Tool Makers Steel Clamps
19/12/2017 07:40:47
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/12/2017 19:37:10:

I wish MEW readers would submit 'halftones' and figure like that with their tips cheeky

Neil

Yes I know what you mean Neil I can appreciate the art in a a good technical illustration, Ashley Best does some very nice illustration for his tram articles in ME.

The American Machinist articles come from a time when photography was very much in its infancy, so you had to rely on the skill of the technical illustrator but this was the weakness in the system as the illustrator had to fully understand the issues of what he is illustrating, the clamps being used to Centre a bar is a good example of this:- In the accompanying text, it explains that the clamps have to be mounted the opposite way round so that the part is pulled on the centre line, but for this to happen the clamps needs to swivel slightly so that the parts comes across the diagonal the illustration doesn't show this.

crop1.jpg

Now a days with digital photography taking a photographs has never been easier and it captures everything but this is its weakness it captures all the background clutter and unnecessary detail and can hide the whole point of the picture.

Cheers

Stew

18/12/2017 17:11:20

Idle hand and all that, when the cold spell drove me out of the shed I did a little on line search on the archive.org site and came across some old 1900 ish publication called American Machinist https://archive.org/search.php?query=american%20machinist

And low and behold I came across these ideas for using the clamps.

americanmachinis52newyuoft_0184.jpg

americanmachinis53newyuoft_1290.jpg

Be warned that the link comes with a warning you can easily lose a couple of days of your life browsing it.

Stew

27/11/2017 19:09:52

Thanks for your input Chaps, some I'd thought about some had passed me by.

I was a little puzzled why they are described as clamps then I realised that they didn't' have the tong, groove and keep to stop the jaw tilting, so I guess that's why they call them clamps, and not vices, because of this I think you must have to use them differently to keep the work square. I'm still thinking about the best way to configure the screw:- on centre, above, or below, what I do think though is that it must have quite a sloppy fit to allow it freedom to tilt and push the work up against the square fixed jaw and keep the work square.

I had a good look at the ones on ebay and the odd ones show signs of being modified.

Jason I did buy a pair from Uncle Ketan but was disappointed to find that they were far from being a matched set but to be fair to Ketan I didn't stipulate that I wanted a matched pair.

I've come to the conclusion that they would be most use as a matched set, so I've drawn them up as a pair tied together with some spacers plus I've put a groove down the side for clamping and I've left the end square I'll also add a V on the inside of the jaw for round bar and I'll put a V goove along the bottom of one so that it could be used as a V block not quite worked out a clamp for this yet.

Her's whot I've roughed out. Don't know when I'll get round to making them as I'm busy making the motion bracket for the loco I'm building.

Cheers

Stew

tool makers steel clamp.jpg

Edited By Stewart Hart on 27/11/2017 19:16:31

27/11/2017 16:10:41

Hi whilst browsing through an old Starrett catalogue I came across these Tool Makers Clamps

lsstarrettcompan00unse_0050.jpg

They are something I've not come across before and as they looked as if they could be a useful bit of kit I did a bit more research, and found out that Starrett still market a version of Chinese manufacture at about $60 each.

Starrett did sell them as a matched pair which would make them even more useful I've since found out that Brown and Sharp sold something similar but they had a V along the bottom so they could be used as a small V block

Has any one come across these before and have they got any experience of using them ?.

I don't think it would be to difficult to make a matching set.

Stew

Thread: Beam Compass we called them Trammels
23/11/2017 12:27:17
Posted by Martin Connelly on 23/11/2017 11:24:13:

When the change from film and board based draughting was changing over to CAD based I salvaged a couple of Harling roller pattern beam compass sets. I still use them for full sized layouts on film for manufacturing.

See the second item down in this link **LINK**

Martin

Thanks for the link Martin, I think some of those old sets of drawing instruments are works of art in them selves, and as for those ink pens that comes with every set I don't know if any one has tried to use them when I did I had blots and splashes all over the place, in short I mad a right old mess, when you see the quality of the drawings those old guys did with them you have to take your hat off to them.

Stew

22/11/2017 21:05:57
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/11/2017 20:49:50:

Nice one Stew, Do write it up

Neil

Just doing it Neil

laugh

Stew

22/11/2017 19:18:19

Over the week end I made a Beam Compass or as we use to call them Trammels but I thing Beam Compass is a better description as the man said it does was it says on the tin.

Your probably wondering why I needed one of these old fashion drawing/marking out instruments in the modern days of cad. The reason is quite simple I need to draw large arcs in order to model the valve gear on the loco I'm building and my little lap top was just too small to be able to see what was happening so it was a mater of good old pen a paper to the rescue.

dsc03124.jpg

dsc03125.jpg

Cheers

Stew

Edited By Stewart Hart on 22/11/2017 19:19:59

Thread: Smoke box door internal clamp
19/11/2017 14:48:02

Just found this thead: I'm building an LMS 2-6-0 Crab that has the clamped smoke box door bin trying to think of away round the problems this may lead to a solution my club has a set of back issue for ME so will look them up.

Stew

Thread: SX3 Mill Power Feed Help Wanted
12/11/2017 06:37:11

Thanks Jason

I've managed to get it to an electronics guy who I use to work with he's going to have a look at it for me.

Stew

11/11/2017 08:03:36

I fitted a Power Feed to my beloved SX3 from Axminster about 6 years ago its been on the blink for about a month now yesterday it finally gave up the ghost and stopped working I think the problem stems from the direction switch or the capacitor it will jog when I press the stop button so its getting power to the motor I removed the covers and checked for lose/broken wires but could find nothing obvious, that exhausted my electronic capabilities.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to electricity I can just about wire up a plug:- so does any one know of a firm I could send it to to have it repaired it will set me back £400 to buy a replacement so a repair is well worth considering.

Cheers

Stew

Thread: Simple Mill Engine - Stewart Hart ME.4460 - Part CP11
30/10/2017 07:21:05
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 28/10/2017 18:06:29:

Looks good from over here

Neil

Looks very good from her

Nice work Jim

Its always great to see one of these engines being made by a beginner, as it was designed as a beginners engine, there must have been quite a lot made by now.

Can't wait to see a picture of the finished engine or even a video of it running

Cheers

Stew

Thread: pottyengineering Clamping Drill
22/09/2017 09:51:33

You'll get the exclusive Neil

Stew

22/09/2017 07:46:44
Posted by Robert Knox 1 on 21/09/2017 16:41:33:

Nice one Stewart! When we going to see it in the mag?

I'll probably write it up and submit it to Neil.

I've got to draw it up first though as it was one of those jobs that sort of evolved around the bits and pieces I had around me with just a few rough sketches.

Thanks for your interest

Stew

22/09/2017 07:42:48
Posted by Clive Foster on 21/09/2017 14:44:18:

Handy device Stewart. Clamp system is great.

Cheats way to do more or less the same thing is to modify one of those "turn your electric pistol drill into a pillar drill" accessory thingies. I've kept my Black & Decker one for 20 odd years after the drill died "just in case of need" with that sort of job in mind. Worth splurging 50 pence at a boot fair if you haven't got one in stock. Or even a whole £ if there is suitable job planned next year.

Clive.

Never thought of looking in the car boots for one of those Black and decker jobs they would do the job with a bit of modification

Cheers

Stew

21/09/2017 09:09:09

Just completed this clamping drill.

You can clamp the complete unit to a large work piece the idea is that I can use it to drill the frame of the 5" loco i'm building giving me greater control of the drilling operation.

It just comprises of a windy drill/die grinder attached to a large toolmakers, it slides up and down the pillar via a lever mechanism.

dsc03043.jpg

dsc03045.jpg

Cheers
Stew
Thread: English dialect
19/09/2017 07:11:23

Don't forget people from Stoke being clayheads

And as for fit you can't beet: "as lose as a prick in a shirt sleev"

As for finish you have:- "as rough as a Bear's arse". 

Edited By Stewart Hart on 19/09/2017 07:39:44

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest