By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stewart Hart

Here is a list of all the postings Stewart Hart has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Simplex Gremlins Strike Again
03/03/2018 07:15:19

Thanks for your input and discussion Gents

I'm coming round to the opinion of David that the wear was caused by uneven axle loading, as I've eliminated crank pin and rod alignment issues.

I have material to make new axle boxes and axles but I'm contemplating bushing out the axles with either a phosphor bronze or oilite bearing as this would save a lot of time, I can use the unworn box with stops to help set up the worn box and use a boring head in the mill to open it out, I'd do the unworn one as well so both are the same.

I use a slightly different approach to making axle boxes to David but both methods ensure that the critical feature of ensuring both boxes are aligned identical with the bore in the centre.

Using the four jaw I bore the boxes and finish off with a reamer.

dsc02803.jpg

Then I turn up a mandrel a close fit on the bore, I then centre this mandrel true in the spin indexer

dsc02807.jpg

Mount the axle box on the mandrel then mill the groove for the horn box taking the same amount of each side, so when the axle will be exactly in the centre of the horn.

dsc02813.jpg

To quarter the wheels I use my home made quartering jig.

dsc02814.jpg

Stew

02/03/2018 06:24:23
Posted by J Hancock on 01/03/2018 11:58:10:

The axle doesn't show too much sign of wear , which tends to tell me 'it' is the surface which is softer and holding the abrasive (ash) ?

The axle journal on that side has worn down 0.4mm the other side has negligible wear.

Hi David

I roll mine on its side after each run unfortunately its been the same side, the effected bearing always ended up on top so the bearing wasn't that visible and I missed it, I did notice the spring hanger was coming lose and just kept tightening it up, but it never occurred to me that it would cause the bearing to wear.

I've got material to make a new axle and boxes, but I'm thinking about boring out the boxes and inserting an Oilite bearings with a new axle.

Stew

01/03/2018 11:00:41
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 01/03/2018 09:56:38:

WOW, just a 100 hours use - makes you think. I wonder how much better they would have been with bronze bushes?

Well over 100 hours I don't log my running time so it could be approach 200

01/03/2018 10:06:07
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 01/03/2018 09:29:57:

Out of curiosity, had you noticed any deterioration in performance?

Neil

Nope:- she was running like a little sewing machine.

Stew

01/03/2018 08:11:43

I completed my Simplex three years ago and I've had it in steam for well over 100 hours in that time and its run very well.

I decided to give it a good check over and clean the clack,injectors etc ready for the running season when the weather improves.

And I found that one of the rear axle boxes had excessive wear, all the other axle boxes showed no sign of wear.

dsc03262.jpg

As the ash pan sits over the top of this axle I thought that ash was getting onto the axle, but I have a brass guard over the axle that on inspection seems to be doing its job.

All the bearings get a good oiling before I run so I don't think its lack of oil and the oil ways were clear.

A friend said that he had seen this before on a 7 1/4" loco and suggested that it may be due to uneven axle loading from the springing, resulting in a lot of the weight being carried by that one axle causing it to run hot and wear. When I stripped it down I did find that one of the spring hangers had come lose which supports this suggestion.

Has any one else come across this or has any other ideas as to its cause.

Stew

Thread: can i silver solder cast iron
28/02/2018 07:11:15
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 27/02/2018 23:06:41:

Yes. Even I can do it

One approach is to heat bit red hot and let it gcool, this burns off surface carbon. Then flux, reheat and silver solder as normal.

Keith Hale's book goes into some detail on teh subject.

Neil

As Neil said but give the parts a good wire brushing to get rid of the ash/crud after it cools, I've used this method and it worked for me.

Stew

Thread: 2-6-0 Horwich Crab
27/02/2018 07:58:01

Just to give you some idea of whats involved in making the valve linkage

This is the Radius Rod

Square up a length of mild steel bar mill the slots and drill holes and corner positions, then chew out the material not wanted.

dsc03256.jpg

dsc03257.jpg

This gives you some idea where they go on the loco.

dsc03260.jpg

Stew

Thread: One Hand Operated Depth Gauge
23/02/2018 07:45:01
Posted by Ian Hewson on 22/02/2018 09:28:06:

Just a thought, would a 118 degree taper on the end of the pin be better for the depth of a drilled hole?

Depends where you want to measure:- depth of full diameter or to the point also the point is a radius so I guess a pin with a radius would be the way to go. For full diameter simply drop a rod in of known diameter and length and measure to the top of that, but to be honest most jobs wouldn't require that amount of precision.

Stew

22/02/2018 09:16:11

Nice Job Jim smiley

Stew

Thread: 2-6-0 Horwich Crab
12/02/2018 07:37:26

I think its about time I post an update of progress so far.

I've been slowly beavering away at the build except for a few small tooling projects just as a change. I've got the slide bars and cross head made and I'm making the valve linkage at the moments I did buy a set of laser cut linkages but I didn't like the way you have to fabricate the forked ends so I'm making them out of solid so that they can be case hardened.

Any way her's a few photos.

dsc03238.jpg

dsc03239.jpg

The motion plate is made from a laser cut part with the edge fluting milled in the same as for the radius Link Bracket that's shown her clamp roughly in place as a trial fit it won't get fitted till I have the rest of the valve links fitted so that it can be correctly placed.

dsc03240.jpg

And I've recently taken delivery taken delivery of the Boiler from Western Steam and I must say they've made a lovely job of it with great service.

dsc03245.jpg

Stew

Edited By Stewart Hart on 12/02/2018 07:39:22

Thread: Simple Mill Engine - Stewart Hart ME.4460 - Part CP11
28/01/2018 13:04:33
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 28/01/2018 12:38:49:
Posted by Stewart Hart on 28/01/2018 07:09:36:

Hi Duffer

Sorry I missed your post on 30/10/17 I was on holiday at the time and got behind with following the forum.

Your build is looking good, have you got her running ?.

Stew

Stew

Yes she goes but I left off the inner brass washers whilst pinning the crankshaft and bent it slightly on re-assembly. Although the valve is rather stiff and the crankshaft's bent the engine runs given enough air. Now waiting for me to make another crankshaft and ease the valve where it's binding on the guide. Then beautifying. Your paint and wood work photos have given me something to aspire to. The engine build is temporarily paused while I play with a computer project but it's still top of my metal bashing list.

Dave

Hi Dave

Pleased you got a runner we all go through a learning curve no mater what we attempt, the important thing is to learn from mistakes and don't give up.

Stew

28/01/2018 13:02:06
Posted by Hopper on 28/01/2018 11:50:00:
Posted by Stewart Hart on 16/03/2015 08:08:04:

Stewart, on the brass bands around the wooden lagging strips on the cylinder, are those brass rivets' holes drilled into the metal cylinder, or are they just into the wood?

Also, where's a good place to buy the graphite packing for the piston ring and glands?

The method I used on the brass banding wasn't one of my better ideas I used two way sticky tape the rivets are just dummy, but the darn stuff starts to peal off and I have to press it back down, for the follow on engine I drilled through the banding into the cylinder and used some small M2 dome headed cap screws to fasten it down, you can get the screws from model fixings http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/

I had terrible trouble the first time I tried to clad a cylinder then someone told the trick of first gluing the batons with copydex to a piece of cotton material then cut to shape and fix the whole lot to the cylinder, the batons are coffee sterers.

You can get the graphite from Macc Models or Blackgates but you could use ptfe thread tape that you get from plumbers merchants just twist it into a string and use a graphite packing works just as well.

Hope this helps

Stew

28/01/2018 07:09:36

Hi Duffer

Sorry I missed your post on 30/10/17 I was on holiday at the time and got behind with following the forum.

Your build is looking good, have you got her running ?.

Stew

Hi Jim

That,s looking good too, best way to shake out the tight spots is to loosen all the screws, then tighten them up one by one any screw that causes it to bind needs investigating and the cause fixing.

Look forward to seeing the completed engines and a video if posible

Cheers

Stew

Thread: Bath Indicator ? . Any One know how it works
27/01/2018 10:50:18

Thanks Michael

That's a lot clearer I thought the part that houses the mechanism was solid.

And thanks for the links I'll dip into them later.

Much appreciated

Stew

27/01/2018 09:46:54

I Came across this in an old magazine never seen anything like it I think it works a bit like a wobble bar but not sure, has any one seen anything like it or even got one and knows how it works.

bath indicator.jpg

Cheers

Stew

Thread: Budenberg Dead Weight Pressure Tester
26/01/2018 07:41:45

Thanks for your input and debate Chaps

Some useful information and insight to take account of.

Cheers

Stew

24/01/2018 13:40:26

Our Clubs had a Budenberg Dead Weight Pressure Tester donated to it. Its Complete with all the weights and reference pressure gauge, I contacted Budenberg in the UK and they were very helpful they identified the model and year of manufacture (1965) and sent me the operation instruction. I've had it working and tested the reference gauge and its bob on, I've also tested a few other pressure gauges large and small.

I know that the small gauges you get to fit on Locos are not that accurate so I'm aware that you have to be careful just how you interpret the results.

I'm still unsure just how we can get the best out of it so I'd welcome some comments. Photos below

Stew

dsc03241.jpg

dsc03243.jpg

img_4369.jpg

img_4371.jpg

Thread: Sine Protractor
12/01/2018 16:34:53
Posted by Nobby on 12/01/2018 09:04:21:

Hi Stew
Thank you Those gauge blocks you can see i made to save using the best slips are standard sizes for 20 30 degrees etc
I hope you did'n mind me jumping in on you thread your sine protractor is brilliant
Nobby

Don't mind at all Nobby in fact you gave me an idea, there's a small vice on our clubs sale table, if its still there I'll buy it if its suitable to be used.

Stew

12/01/2018 07:30:45
Posted by Nobby on 11/01/2018 18:49:49:

I used a Vice I bought to alter into a 5" sine vice very useful angles

Edited By Nobby on 11/01/2018 18:55:01

That vice does look useful Nobby

Stew

11/01/2018 18:42:57

Just completed this sine protractor.

dsc03218.jpg

Its simple to use the distance between the centres is 100mm so to set it to desired angle its just the sine of the angle times 100 move the decimal place two jumps to the right.

This is how you set it:-

Zero you digital height gauge on the top of the roller.

dsc03220.jpg

For 30 deg the sine is 0.5 so the height to set the roller is 50mm

dsc03221.jpg

Then just use it to set your work at the angle

dsc03227.jpg

You can obviously work the other way and use it to measure angles.

Stew

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest