By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stewart Hart

Here is a list of all the postings Stewart Hart has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rainhill Question what is this part
22/09/2018 06:24:09

A friend is making Ivan Laws' lovely model of Rainhill and he's asked me if I know what the part circled in red on the photo is. I think its a snifter valve but another friend thinks it may be a pot lubricator is there any one whose built this model give us the answer.

Stewrainhill .jpg

Thread: South Cheshire ME Society 50th Anniversary Gala Pictures
15/09/2018 07:23:44

Her's a few more pictures taken by another club member.

This first one shows the screen with name plates that were being etched

dsc_0668.jpg

dsc_0026 v2.jpg

dsc_0037 v2.jpg

dsc_0684 v2.jpg

Stew

Edited By Stewart Hart on 15/09/2018 07:26:56

13/09/2018 21:29:08

The machine uses a redundant Mitatoya inspection microscope body so the slides are very good my friend added stepper motors and reciprocating ball screws in the the x,y and z axis and all the electronicy stuff don't ask me what soft ware they use as I have no idea

img_2078 v3.jpg

Stew

13/09/2018 21:18:45
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 13/09/2018 20:52:36:
Posted by V8Eng on 13/09/2018 20:33:01:

Please excuse me if this a silly question: what is happening in the fourth picture? In spite of the empty cup I assume it’s not a fancy coffee machine.wink

Presumably making the decorative plates [visible on the table] ... but I can't make out what the 'cutter' looks like.

A cropped image might be helpful. < please Stewart >

MichaelG.

Yes they are decorative plates, the plates are ally painted black the decoration is scratched into the surface using a tungsten pointed tool that is spring loaded, my friend bought the scratch tools from a supplier, I think they call the technique scratch engraving.

I'll see if I have a closer picture

Stew

Edited By Stewart Hart on 13/09/2018 21:19:53

13/09/2018 21:04:00

Thanks for your interest and comment chaps

Taking your comments turn:-

That's yours truely Neil driving my famous engine Gremlin or so my youngest Grandson recons, and yes it does look like a steam beard never spotted that its amazing what a damp atmospher does to the steam, it makes for interesting pictures.

I think I see a Murray's Hypocycloidal at the far end on the lowest shelf in pic 2...

Her's some closer shot of the stationary engines you may spot some of my engines that have been in ME.

img_2064.jpg

img_2065.jpg

img_2068.jpg

Please excuse me if this a silly question: what is happening in the fourth picture? In spite of the empty cup I assume it’s not a fancy coffee machine.wink

Its an home brew cnc machine that my friend and his son made they are using it to etch name plate for children's bed rooms one is being cut whilst two finish ones are on the table he also uses it to make fancy door numbers.

Stew

13/09/2018 08:43:03

We held our 50th Anniversary Gala on 8th September it turned out to be a rainy day but every one still enjoyed the day he'rs a few pictures.

img_2051 v2.jpg

img_2062.jpg

img_2077.jpg

img_2078 v2.jpg

img_2099 v2.jpg

img_2102 v3.jpg

img_2106 v2.jpg

img_2126 v2.jpg

img_2128.jpg

img_2130.jpg

Thread: A good quality oil can..?
01/09/2018 15:45:00

Make your own this design was published in model engineer last year.

I've made two and they work perfectly, you can get the material to make 1/2 dozen for the cost of a railing can.

Stew

dsc02857.jpg

dsc02833.jpgEdited By Stewart Hart on 01/09/2018 15:46:27

Edited By Stewart Hart on 01/09/2018 15:47:28

Thread: South Cheshire Model Engineering Society 50th Anniversary Gala
30/08/2018 20:26:05
Just a preview of what to expect at our Gala

https://youtu.be/GC7unMVUWoM

Edited By Stewart Hart on 30/08/2018 20:28:34

Thread: A Rant to our suppliers of drills
20/08/2018 12:13:10

I know that generally the drills supplied to the model engineering community due to the less demanding use are not of the same quality you will find in industry, but that said they still have to do the job required of them. On two occasions over the last moth I've run into problems resulting in scrap work due to faulty drills. On the first occasion I was using a 3.4mm drill that I'd bought off ebay (yes I know serves me right) the darn thing wouldn't cut on close examination the point was ground with negative rake it was never going to cut it was ok after i'd reground it.

On the second occasion I used a letter drill bought as part of a set at an exhibition from one of the well known suppliers, I'd not used the drills from the set much, but on this occasion I wanted the part to fit on a odd sized shaft, the darn drill cut over size by about 0.30mm again on inspection the point was ground with uneven lip length a regrind sorted the problem but the part needed remaking.

To keep the cost down these drills probably came from the far east, but surly by now the buyers know the risk associated buying from this source, so why isn't some sort of receipt inspection carried out on delivery and if they are wrong send them back. I know this would probably push up the cost a little but if it cuts out some of the frustration the increase would be accepted.

Luckily I have the experience and background to spot what was wrong but I wonder just how many newcomers to the hobby have been driven away because of their struggles with inferior tooling,

Stew

Edited By Stewart Hart on 20/08/2018 12:14:48

Thread: South Cheshire Model Engineering Society 50th Anniversary Gala
17/08/2018 07:36:34
South Cheshire Model Engineering Society 50th Anniversary Gala September 8th 11:--am to 4:30pm at Peacock Track Rear of Peacock Hotel Crewe Road Nantwich CW5 6NE
http://southcheshiremes.com
Steam Train Rides, Exhibition of Models Refreshements
50th anniversary.jpg
Thread: Friction Turning a Smoke Box Door
30/07/2018 06:25:11

Thanks for your comments Chaps,

I've used the double sided tape and supper glue in the past especially where you can't use the running centre to clamp the parts, but in cases where you can the masking tape works just as well if not better:- what is does is improve the coefficient of friction between the parts giving you more grip against a steel on steel drive.

One of the trouble with using the double sided tape or adhesive is that the heat generated by machining can cause is to come unstuck, and then you've got the added job of cleaning the stuff off afterwards.

Cheers

Stew

29/07/2018 11:01:11

Hi I thought this would be of interest to you chaps. Friction Turning a Smoke Box door for a 5" Gauge Loco. Basically what I've done is covered the face plate with masking tape and trapped the door up against the face plate using a running centre the friction gives enough drive to enable you to machine across the face.

This video will shows you how

Cheers

Stew

Edited By Stewart Hart on 29/07/2018 11:25:06

Edited By Stewart Hart on 29/07/2018 11:25:58

Thread: Popcorn engine
23/06/2018 18:22:22

I’ll get drawings to you soon Bob

Stew

Thread: fixed steady
15/06/2018 09:13:33

LBSC made them from wood to skim up the face of Boilers, it work as well i followed his advice and made one to skim a boiler tube up sorry I don't have a picture and the wood was reused for something else.

Stew

15/06/2018 09:11:35

LBSC made them from wood to skim up the face of Boilers

Stew

Thread: Draft Site G code generator
02/06/2018 08:17:00

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of G-Simple chaps.

I've converted the drawing successfully in G code but what do I do next, my friend with the CNC mill who is a complete novice like me says its not in the same format he uses ?. he says he gets a line of code . What i've got is a drawing with the tools paths. ?. I.m going over to see him later today we'll try and load what I have to the machine and see what happens question

Thanks for your help

Stew

29/05/2018 07:18:15

I use the free 2D draft site soft ware for my drawings, that doesn't have the G code generator activated I don't think the free version has this facility.

A quick search online comes up with a number of free G code generators can any of you chaps recommend one, this is my first attempt at CNC so I need something simple.

Cheers

Stew

Thread: AYESHA At South Cheshire MES
08/05/2018 19:59:19

Last Sunday we had the anual visit from the 2 1/2" gauge society, as well as holding one of our public running days and as I was busy helping with the public running a steaming my own 5" gauge loco I just snapped off a few pictures of the 2 1/2" loco, it was only at the end of the day when we were clearing away that someone told me that one of the Locos was none other than LBSC AYESHA could have kicked my self angry if I'd known I would have taken a video of her running and run she did.

These are the pictures I took by way of compensation.

img_1936.jpg

img_1929.jpg

img_1930.jpg

img_1942.jpg

Ho well perhaps I'll get a chance to make that video next year

Stew

Thread: Pressure as a unit of time
25/04/2018 16:23:24
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 25/04/2018 15:41:46:

When I was working, TIME = PRESSURE. in pressure terms, 0 Psi = breakfast at home, 70 Psi after the morning meeting, Mild panic at midday, no time for lunch. Most pressure came towards the end of the day at 300Psi so the clock was about right.
BobH

Never thought of it in them terms:- working under time pressure, or pressured by time, lack of time pressure etc etc.

Stew

25/04/2018 13:37:38
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 25/04/2018 13:33:20:

Maybe when I visit the UK we can go for a pint at about 25 psi.

I don't drink pints only feet and inches crook but yes any time your over we'll make it a date.

Stew

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest