By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stewart Hart

Here is a list of all the postings Stewart Hart has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2 1/2" Gauge Society Event at South Cheshire MES
01/05/2019 14:51:41

img_1936.jpg

South Cheshire Model Engineering Society will be hosting the 2 1/2" Gauge society this Sunday 5th May. Who will be bringing along LBSC locomotive AYESHA this Locomotive is famous for the "Battle of the Boilers" held in 1922:- this battle raged between Henry Greenly, Curly Lawrence and others in the Model Engineering press for many months until they decided to settle the argument by holding and efficiency competition where Curly pitted the performance of AYESHA against other locomotives the result was a close run thing and was far from conclusive, so the controversy continued. AYESHA was at last years event and managed a sedate lap of our track which is remarkable for an 90 year old locomotive.

Visitors will be most welcome.

Our Track is Rear of Peacock Hotel, Crewe Road Nantwich Cw5 6NE www.southcheshiremes.com

Thread: Starrett type clamps
11/04/2019 07:51:56

Thanks for your comments and interest chaps

They wern't that dificult to make.

To make the bodies a matching pair I simply bolted them together and machined them as one. I was unsure just how much the cold rolled bar would distort due to releasing the stresses:- so I roughed them out first and let them stand for a couple of days then I skimmed the base and top flat this took out the distortion.

Roughing out

dsc03542.jpg

Finishing off body

dsc03551.jpg

The jaws couidn't have been easier you just have to drill the M3 hole for the keep first before drilling 6.5 using the self centerng four jaw chuck

dsc03557.jpg

I used a M8 coach bolt to fabricate the screw and welded the knurled head in place.

dsc03528.jpg

dsc03531.jpg

Total material cost about £6 and not much more than a days job

Drawing

model makers clamps.jpg

Stew

10/04/2019 09:36:17

These clamps are Based on Starrett No 160 tool makers clamps whilst I wouldn't call these clamps tool makers quality due to the constraints of home workshop construction they will be more than adequate for most home workshop. I made them as a perfect matching pair to enhance there usefulness.

There has been a number of discussions on the forum regarding these clamps with a lot of interest shown in them, the original Starrett clamps can be picked up on flebay they go for about £30 to £50 pounds and Starrett still sell them for around the same price.

lsstarrettcompan00unse_0050.jpg

Any way this is my attempt

dsc03568.jpg

And to show them as to one of their uses.

dsc03570.jpg

They are made from standard size mild steel bar Body 1"*5/8" jaw 5/8" Sq bolt M8. Starrett fixed the jaw with a cerclip but I've used a M3 keep screw.

dsc03564.jpg

Stew

Thread: A close shave or why safety glasses are a must
09/04/2019 07:46:02

I was using a burr in a dremel a few months back and for some reason or other it came adrift and flew out i just couldn't find it until the other day when I found it embedded in the roof, you can only imagine what would have happened if it had gone in my eye.

I do wear prescription safety glasses all the time when I'm in my shed, never the less its was quite sobering.

dsc03543.jpg

Be warned

Stew

Thread: Stress Relieving Rolled Mild Steel
05/04/2019 10:00:30

Thanks for your input chaps

the part is 1”x5/8x21/2” with the middle bit removed so it’ll bend like a banana putting the ends out of square which I want to avoid

I’ll see what roughing it out first does to it I may be able to live with the results

cheers

Stew

05/04/2019 09:11:24

Thanks Tony

The trick with the air tight tin/foil would do the trick to prevent scale, thanks for the tip

I have enough bar to have a couple of tries so I think I'll try rough machining first to see how much it warps.

Stew

05/04/2019 09:05:58

Hi Nick

Thanks for the useful graph, as I thought it shows the temp for stress relieving to be around 600 C our oven won't be hot enough.

Cheers

Stew

05/04/2019 08:17:16

I want to machine a part from cold rolled mild steel bar from experience I know that the part will warp out of square and this would be a no no, also for what I have in mind hot rolled bar would not be suitable

So has any one tried stress relieving rolled mild steel bar?. I thought about sticking it in the oven but our ovens max temp is 240 C I don't think this will be hot enough as far as I can find out you stress relieve at around 600 - 700 C I,ve also considered putting it into a barbeque but that would be a bit hit and miss.and I don't want to scale the bar

My other option would be to rough the part out and let it sit for a week or two to let the stresses work on to part, then to finish machine it but I'm unsure if this will be effective enough.

Any ideas views enlightened

Stew

Thread: Potty mill
03/04/2019 19:19:01
Posted by Chris Bakery�s on 03/04/2019 13:13:04:

Does anybody have or know where I can get the plans for the “potty mill engine “

Hi Chris

Just send me a PM with your email address and I’ll send you the plans

Cheers

Stew

Thread: Potty overcrank
29/03/2019 17:16:35

Well I’m tickled pink to see so many well made engines to my designs great job chaps: keep them coming

Stew

29/03/2019 08:13:41

Blimeye just how many of these engines are out there

Yet another lovely build well done Jes

Stew

29/03/2019 06:16:45

Wow another very nice build well done George.

If anyone would like a copy of the plans for this engine just drop me a private message with your email address and I'll mail them to you.

Stew

28/03/2019 04:55:32

Sorro Eric for missing this when you first posted it. You’ve made a lovely job of the engine and the floor sets it off a treat excellent

Stew

Thread: Mystery Starrett vice
23/03/2019 08:48:22
Posted by John Reese on 22/03/2019 21:37:54:

Stewart,

I found the vise. It is marked LSS Co. Athol MA.

Here are the dimensions:

OAL, body only: 2.000"

OAL, screw full out: 3.110"

Width: .597"

Height: .757"

Depth of jaw" .444"

Minimum grip: .368"

Maximum grip: 1.065"

I am missing the long jaw.

Thanks for looking the vice out and posting the sizes John, I have drawn it up 3" long so 1 1/2 times its real size, I'll draw it up again closer to the actual size, but on the plus side being smaller will make them easier to make.

The only draw back with them is the fact that the jaw is not on a slide so they will tend to tip the work out of square especially if the part is thin. The illustrations of them in use show parts that are being gripped by the full length of the jaws so this won't be a problem, perhaps they should be called clamps rather than vices. But having said that I still think they would be a useful addition to the tool box.

Stew

Thread: Potty:- Helping Dad Grasshopper Engine
22/03/2019 16:03:38
Posted by Jim Greenhill on 22/03/2019 11:43:15:

Hi Stew hope you do finish the and is put in the magazine, I have just completed the first, put a few photos on just trying to get it to run at present, can seem to get the time needed, story of my life.

my plan is to do the three then start on Minnie TE ,

Thanks Jim

Well I've just spent the afternoon finishing off the article it hasn't been easy to pull it together as all the pictures are spread around and its some time since I made it so its tasked my memory a lot. I'll email it off to the editors on Monday:- then its up to them.

Stew

Thread: Mystery Starrett vice
21/03/2019 08:57:34
Posted by John Reese on 20/03/2019 23:10:47:

I have one similar. I don't remember if it is Starrett or Brown & Sharpe. Mine has a flat back and a countersunk hole through the back, apparently for mounting the vise to something. I think the main purpose of these vises was to hold small work in a larger vise. The vise I have is nicely color case hardened.

Hi John

Could you tell me the overall size of your vice when I drew it up I was guessing the sizes and I've just started to cut the metal to make a couple and I'm thinking i'm making them too large.

Stew

21/03/2019 06:55:44

Some time ago I had a fad of searching through old American Machinist magazine on line and spotted the starret clamp with some of the uses it can be put to. I also found a photo of similar giant set of clamp in use at the North British Loco Works clamping together three sets of loco frames whilst they were being drilled on two huge radial drills.

The bottom drawing is my take on the idea, these clamps are more useful if they come in matching sets, I never got round to making them though its just another job on a long list of jobs

Stew

lsstarrettcompan00unse_0050.jpg

crop1.jpg

americanmachinis53newyuoft_1290.jpg

tool makers steel clamp.jpg

20/03/2019 22:32:53

Drew one of those last year never got round to maki one. Also found some interesting novel use of them I’ll have to dig my papers out

Stew

Thread: Potty:- Helping Dad Grasshopper Engine
18/03/2019 07:58:57

Thanks for all your interest chaps.

I wrote the article for this engine as a follow on from the other two engines and as a lot of the parts were common I referenced back to them. Now with the passage of time it really needs a stand alone article, that I did start to write but never finished, so I guess I need to get my act together and finish it off.

Cheers

Stew

17/03/2019 20:06:30

There's is just one condition to you getting the plans and that is that you post a picture of the finished engine her on this Forum

smiley

Stew

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest