By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Cox 1

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Cox 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Latest forum posts
13/06/2017 12:17:57

When the website first started items would remain on the 'Latest Forum Posts' list on the front page for some time. However the site traffic is now large and unless their is a lot of discussion for a particular posting it disappears very quickly of the end of the list and it is easily possible to miss an item of interest. I know it is possible to view the full list but this is not very convenient. Could the list on the home page be made longer?

Mike

Thread: Braided hemp sash cord....
06/06/2017 08:09:13

The waxed cord could be easily dewaxed using white spirit (mineral spirit in the U.S.).

Another Mike

Thread: DIY hearth
25/05/2017 08:51:25

I have used a mix of 1 part clay (cat litter), 1 part portland cement and 7 parts perlite to make my furnace. It has been in use ,on and off, for several years for melting aluminium. Preparing the mix in the right way is important. For more detail, see:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/furnace.html

Mike

Thread: Collet trays
21/05/2017 19:35:37

I was in a local B&M store today and notice these ice cube trays at £1.99 for a pack of two:dscf3487.jpg

What struck me about these was that the holes were round and about the same size as an ER32 collet. I bought a pack and when I got home found that they were absolutely perfect for storing ER32 collets as shown here:

dscf3490.jpg

Mike

Thread: Mini Lathe Change Gear Specification?
30/04/2017 22:54:16

On my minilathe, a Clark CM300, made by Sieg, the gears are Mod 1 with a 20 degree pressure angle ( see: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/change-gear-pressure-angle.html). The gears are 8 mm wide and they are bored 12 mm. The key is 3 mm square. However, the Real Bull minilathes (Chester, Warco, Amadeal), I am told have 4 mm keys.

I hope this helps

Mike

Thread: Machining a concave radius on the end of a round bar
18/04/2017 21:57:27

I do not know what accuracy is required for the radius but I have used a hole saw in the drill press and the piece mounted in the drill vice to do something similar. Very quick, cheap and straightforward.

Mike

Thread: Any Chemists (rust)
18/04/2017 08:55:49

Whilst they are chelating agents oxalic and citric acids are also acids and they will attack steel and etch the surface albeit relatively slowly. However, there are chelating agents, such as sodium EDTA (ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid) which are neutral salts that do not attack steel surfaces but which will chelate and dissolve metal oxides. I suspect that these may be the active ingredient in Evaporust.

Mike

Thread: M-Machine
01/04/2017 12:07:22

I use M-Machine as my main supplier of raw material. I have never had any issues with them and always prompt efficient service. I suspect that, as Brian says, that they may be closed for some reason (holiday, show etc)

Mike

Thread: Westminster Attack 22 March 2017
22/03/2017 19:52:52

I too send my sympathies to all those affected by this event.

Mike

Thread: Grinding wheel supplier recommendation
14/03/2017 07:54:09

I use a company called Abtec, www.abtec4abrasives.com, for abrasive wheels. They have a great selection of products, good prices and will provide knowledgeable advice if asked.

Mike

Thread: Planning a power hacksaw build
21/02/2017 10:08:30

If you look on ebay under "dc power supplies" you will find many cheap 12 V power supplies, mostly from China.

Mike

21/02/2017 07:46:12

A few years back there was an article in MEW about constructing a power hacksaw and the motor used was a windscreen wiper motor.

Mike

Thread: Preventing Rust
16/02/2017 10:25:53

Some vegetable oils such as coconut oil are nearly 100% saturated and they do not go sticky or thicken in air even after prolonged exposure. Coconut oil in the UK is a solid at normal temperature but liquid where it is produced, in the tropics, hence it is still called an oil.

I have tried it as a cutting fluid on the lathe and for tapping and it seems to work well.

I note that our Oz friends have already mentioned wool fat (aka lanolin). There was a long discussion while back on the Madmodder website about lanolin and the concensus was that it was a very effective rust inhibitor.

Mike

Thread: Working with gauge plate.
14/02/2017 23:01:54
Posted by Tim Stevens on 14/02/2017 20:49:13:

Hello

Yesterday, Michael Cox 1 told us all:

Gauge plate cuts and drills easily in the as received appealed condition.

He is correct, of course, but it might help others to know that the as bought condition is 'annealed' ,not 'appealed'. Just in case you want to look it up in Machinery's Handbook.

I expect that this message, which is intended to be helpful, will be deleted. Let's see ...

Regards, Tim

Sorry for the mis-spelling of annealing. I blame the predictive text on my tablet !!!!!

Mike

14/02/2017 18:55:04

A normal HSS Dormer bit should be fine. The important thing when drilling deep holes in tough materials like gauge plate is to peck away at the hole and never allow material to build up in the drill flutes If material clogs the flutes the torque on the drill increase dramatically and it is likely to break.

Mike

13/02/2017 18:53:42

Hi Steve

Gauge plate cuts and drills easily in the as received appealed condition.

Mike

Thread: Hi From NW UK
13/02/2017 11:13:41

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the group. I am only down the road to you near Frodsham.

Mike

Thread: Oil coolant pumps - which type of pump
02/02/2017 09:43:22

I too use a windscreen washer pump to pump coolant. Most windscreen washer pumps are gear pumps. They are not designed for continuous use but if run on 6 volts or less rather than 12 volts they seem to run well without getting noticeably hot for extended periods.

There is a write up on my website, see:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/coolant-pump-system.html

Mike

Thread: Cast Steel, Nickel Steel, Phos Bronze?
06/01/2017 11:02:35

Another possibility is that it is Monel, an alloy of copper and nickel. This is similar in appearance to stainless steel.

It is corrosion resistant but any corrosion that does form will be greenish ( both copper and nickel hydrated salts are green).

It was used for special purposes such as chemical plant etc . but most commonly it was used for items in contact with seawater such as propellors and propellor shafts.

Mike

Thread: Hi from Natal,South Africa
20/12/2016 16:36:55

Dave, If I buy hot rolled steel from a model engineering supplier such as M-machine then I find that hydrochloric acid (brick cleaner) will rapidly remove the black oxide scale. However, on occasions, I have bought it in B&Q and the oxide scale is resistant to the acid even if immersed for some time. I suspect that the B&Q material is lacquered to prevent it rusting during transport and display in the store. May be other suppliers also have stock with some sort of protection.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Warco
cowells
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest