By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Cox 1

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Cox 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting a keyway without a broach
08/11/2018 21:59:27

Here is an easily made adjustable broach:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/small-hole-slotting-tool.html

I would suggest that you remove most of the material by drilling or milling first and then use the adjustable broach to clean up the slot.

|Mike

Thread: mini lathe lever tailstock feed
03/11/2018 11:21:36

The block is mild steel. I think it is clear in Photo 6 that it is not brass. If it looks brassy in Photo 2 then it is just a lighting effect.

The block is 40 mm high. I seem to have omitted to include this dimension. My apologies for this omission.

The dimensions of the new feedscrew are given in Fig 8.

I hope this clarifies the drawing.

Mike

Thread: Cost of mini lathes
09/09/2018 18:51:20

A new machine can cost anywhere between £400 and £600.

Used ones occaisionjally come up in the ads section of this site and on ebay.

Thread: Boring bar size
08/09/2018 13:08:27

You can also buy blacksmith drill with a 12 mm shank that will drill to 25 mm or more.

Thread: Tailstock tapping chuck
31/08/2018 12:52:11

I had the same problem. A while back Michael Horner posted a simple idea for tapping on the lathe, see:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/tailstock-tap-holder.html

This works very well.

I also made this chuck:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/improved-chuck-for-taps.html

for use on my pillar tool. This was based on an idea for a tap wrench published in ME by W E Briley in 1964. This is a more complex chuck but it also works very well and can handle a wide range of tap sizes.

Thread: 3D printing companies
29/08/2018 14:55:25

Thanks Neil. I am following up the Shapeways option.

29/08/2018 12:48:58

A friend has asked me where to source some plastic parts. The are part is for broken office stapling machines. The part is small weighing only 0.4 grams. It sounds like a perfect job for a 3D printer. He has several of these staplers to mend and would be looking for about 30 of the parts. I have drawn up the part and can supply the drawing in .DFX or .DWG format. I think the part printed in PLA or ABS would be strong enough.

Does anyone know of a small company or individual that might be interested in doing this work?

Mike

Thread: Spares for cheap Bandsaw
06/08/2018 21:30:42

Hi Rob,

I had the same problem with my band saw. I bought some neoprene rubber strip from ebay and cut it to the correct width and made a scarf joint and then superglue it to make a new tyre. It has been satisfactory for at least a year.

Thread: What type of glue to use...
24/07/2018 08:39:02

I have printed patterns onto A4 self adhesive label stock. These stick readily to clean metal. They are easily removed by wetting the label with white spirit and then peeling off.

Thread: New member from Sweden
02/04/2018 21:32:25

Hej Jan,

Valkommen.

I lived I Jonkoping for a few years.

Mike

Thread: Castable refractory - any experiences with Ciment Fondu?
30/03/2018 00:12:35

The ability of any cement to withstand temperature depends on the ratio of alkali to aluminum/ silicon oxides. Portland cement is not the best because of the high alkali (lime) content. Adding additional clayeffectively reduces the lime content and thus increases the temperature resistance.

Mike

Thread: Good source of gear to make threading attachment for lathe
26/03/2018 18:38:26

Try here:

https://www.technobotsonline.com/

I have sourced gears/ timing belt pulleys etc from this company. Fast efficient service and good prices.

Just a satisfied customer.

Mike

Thread: Castable refractory - any experiences with Ciment Fondu?
26/03/2018 11:05:45

Hi Robin,

My furnace still has the same refractory lining that I made for the description given in MEW 181. The refractory is low density giving excellent insulation. The furnace has probably been used at least 50 times since the original refractory was cast in position and it is still sound. It is important to dry the refractory slowly to get a strong lining.

On the subject of perlite versus vermiculite my understanding is that perlite is firstly more heat resistant that vermiculite and secondly vermiculite will take up water from the atmosphere. This means that whenever the furnace is used the adsorbed water in the vermiculaite has to be driven out of the refractory.

Portland cement on its own does not have good heat resistance and thermal properties which is why more clay was added to the mix.

High alumina cement (ciment fondu) would be a good alternative to the portland ciment/clay mix but it is not as readily available. I tried to make my furnace using readily available materials.

Mike

Thread: DC motor controler ?
24/03/2018 16:41:25

Hi Carl,

Here is a motor/ controller combination similar to the one posted by oldvelo. This one is rated for 240 volts and available in the UK.

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/collections/spare-parts/products/katsu-550w-power-head-attachment-for-mini-lathe-machine-165013-and-165012

Mike

Thread: Bandsaw woes
22/03/2018 15:06:50

Many thanks to everyone who made suggestions for overcoming my bandsaw woes.

I have made a new tyre out of solid neoprene rubber strip 3 x 12 mm. This was spliced with a scarf joint and bonded using cyanoacrylate adhesive. This photo below shows the join. Double sided carpet tape was then used to bond the tyre to the wheel.

The new tyre seems to be working well and the bandsaw is now back in use.

dscf3703.jpg

Thread: Shortening screws
13/03/2018 16:23:15

Here are a couple of good methods from Rick Sparber:

http://rick.sparber.org/aubc.pdf

http://rick.sparber.org/BCF.pdf

He also has a simple jig for bevelling the ends of cut bolts:

http://rick.sparber.org/ubb.pdf

Mike

Thread: Diamond grinding wheels
28/02/2018 11:00:17
Posted by John Haine on 28/02/2018 09:53:45:

Diamond is reputed to have a bad effect on HSS but I'm not sure how real this is especially for the amateur

It is not the diamond that has a bad effect on HSS it is the other way round. Diamond is a form of carbon and when hot and in contact with iron (steel) the diamond form of carbon transforms to the graphite form of carbon and it is absorbed into the iron. Thus the steel destroys the diamond. However, I have used diamond abrasives for taking light cuts on steel and there seems to be little damage to the diamond wheel. Heavy cuts quickly destroy the diamond disc.

Mike

Thread: New to flaceplatery - a question of balance
22/02/2018 22:59:38

You need the gadget described by Andy Johnstone in MEW 263. The article is entitled "Mounting item on a faceplate".

I made a similar gadget based on this article last week and it is very helpful for getting a good balance on the faceplate with the moiunted work.

Mike

Thread: Bandsaw woes
19/02/2018 16:07:54

Thanks for all the ideas. There are certainly a few to follow up.

Robin/Vic - ebay was the first place I looked but there are none specific to my machine.

Robbo - the Clarke CBS 190 seems to be a different machine because the specified blade length is not the same. The machines are indeed very similar though and I shall download the manual since it is more understandable than the Swedish version.

Peak4 - I like this idea but to wrap around a 237 mm wheel I will need a strip 750 mm long. I cannot find the cork gasket material in a sufficiently long length. However, I have found solid neoprene rubber strip that is self adhesive and available 12 mm wide and 3 mm thick in 5 metre lengths at a sensible price so I am going to order some and give it a try.

Brian - I shall wrap some insulation tape around the existing temporary solution to try to improve matters pending the arrival of the neoprene strip.

Mike

19/02/2018 11:47:36

About 19 years ago I bought a small bandsaw for woodworking. I was living in Sweden at the time and the saw was a Chinese saw badged "Bruksbo" for one of the retail chains. The saw has been used for cutting wood and plastic materials. It has not been used much but it is very good for cutting out intricate shapes. I am sure the same saw must have been sold here in the UK badged for retailers here.

bruksbo.jpg

The saw is shown above.

I was using it yesterday and it suddenly started making a grating noise. On opening the cover it was apparent that the plastic tyre on the upper wheel had disintegrated into three pieces. It had become brittle with age. The tyre was about 3 mm thick, 12 mm wide and the upper wheel has a diameter of 237 mm. The photo below shows the saw with the door open.

bruksbo open.jpg

I have made a temporary repair by sticking the three pieces of broken belt back onto the wheel using double sided carpet tape. This seems to be working OK but I would like to buy two new tyres in order to replace the two original tyres

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of bandsaw tyres for these small hobby bandsaws?

I am sorry the photos are on the side rather than upright. I have spent a long time trying to get them into the correct orientation but without success.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
walker midge
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest