By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Cox 1

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Cox 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 12 volt motor speed controller
19/07/2021 20:38:18
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/07/2021 17:22:40:
Posted by Michael Cox 1 on 19/07/2021 15:26:56:

I built a power drive for my mill table. This allows slow variable speed for cutting and full speed for the return. […]

That’s very tidy, Mike … thanks for the link

MichaelG.

Given the demise of Maplin : May I ask if this is the relevant module ?

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 19/07/2021 17:27:56

Michael - the speed control module I used MFAcomodrills part number 919D29, see:

https://www.mfacomodrills.com/pdfs/Speed%20regulators.pdf

Regards

Mike

19/07/2021 15:26:56

I built a power drive for my mill table. This allows slow variable speed for cutting and full speed for the return. The cut direction is selectable. The speed control is based on a pulse width modulated speed controller. Full details are here:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/mill-power-feed.html

Mike

Thread: Acrylic as an Insulator
01/07/2021 19:01:36

The only problem with acrylic as an insulator is that it has quite a low softening temperature. This makes it usuitable for situations exposed to heat or where the switch may get hot. In these situation phenolic plastics like bakelite , Tufnol and Paxolin are better as they are much more heat resistant.

Mike

Thread: Death.
09/06/2021 10:59:39

I never met John but I had several conversation with him and received very good advice on machining matter

RIP John

Mike

Thread: Component Suppliers - Recommendations?
31/03/2021 10:34:57

My go to source for electronic components is ESR Electronic Components. Always very helpful and goood delivery.

http://www.esr.co.uk/

Thread: Sieg X3 Tacho
23/02/2021 14:44:05

Clive, I do not know how similar your X3 is to my little X1 mill but I have added a tacho, see:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/mill-tachometer.html

The tacho unit was supplied with a hall efect sensor but the sensor was too large to fit in a convenient place so a made a simple optical reflective sensor which works well using a reflective strip on the spindle.

Mike

Thread: Chemically cleaning brass - gently
21/01/2021 15:54:54

Nearly all copper and zinc corrosion product will be soluble in household amminia solution. This will rapidly dissolve the corrosion products. Unfortunately household ammonia solution, which used to be a common cleaning agent during most of the 20 th century, is now quite difficult to find although it is readily available via ebay. If you use this wash with water afterwards and then rinse with alcohol (methalated spirit, denatured alcohol) and leave to dry.

Thread: Mery Christmas Everybody
25/12/2020 12:32:38

Merry Christmas to all. Lets hope that the New Year is better than 2020.

Mike

Thread: Parts Washer Pump
30/11/2020 17:19:58

If you go on ebay and search engine oil extractor or diesel oil pump there are many small low voltage (eg 12 V) pumps that typically pump about 5 litres/min available. They cost circa £10 and are rated at 60 watts.

Thread: is there an easy identification test for Nickel and Chromium ?
26/11/2020 09:16:13

Chrome plating is much harder than nickel plating and usually much brighter. Compare a few items that are chrome plated using a fine steel scribe. Do not press hard and try to scratch the surface. The difference between that and normal steel and nickel is striking. Do not press hard because the plating is thin and if you press hard then the metal underneath will deform and it may appear scratched, Practice on a few chrome plate items and mild steel to see the difference.

Thread: Whitening
07/10/2020 10:58:58

Whiting is finely ground chalk that is used as a pigment in paints and in papermaking. It is practically pure calcium carbonate. It is a fine white powder.

For information chalk used on blackboards is not calcium carbonate but calcium sulphate so do norrt be tempted to grind up these.

Thread: Home made cast Aluminium
25/08/2020 18:18:22

I have been melting aluminium and casting for a few years. It is relatively easy to make a propane gas fired furnace to melt aluminium from simple readily available materials. Old aluminium castings are the best source of material but I frequently mix old aluminium extrusions into a melt and this does not seem to be too detrimental. I usually make lost foam castings and these can have complex shapes. For stock for machining I usually cast in old tin cans for the larger diameters (50 mm -75 mm). The can after casting is simply cut and peeled off the solidified aluminium when cold. Smaller diameters are just cast in green sand using a bar of the right diameter as the pattern. The cast material usually machines very well. I once cast a rod from melted drinks cans but this was very gummy and it did not machine well.

To get a good clean casting without inclusions or void it is important to use a flux. I use a product called LoSalt which ios mixture of sodium and potassium chlorides as flux. This is readily available in supermarkets as it intended for people that need low salt diets. I desert spoonful of this in a one litre melt of aluminium brings all the dross up to the surface where it can be readily scraped of usinf a spoon.

I wrote an article that was published in MEW some years ago describing making the furnace and burner and describing some of the casting techniques. There is also some information on my website covering this, see:

**LINK**

Thread: SX1 Mill Motor Shaft
08/07/2020 23:23:57

I did my own belt drive conversion, see:

**LINK**

I hope this helps.

Mike

Thread: Measuring Gears (including pressure angle)
22/06/2020 20:44:50
Posted by Andy Pugh on 22/06/2020 09:33:40:
Posted by Michael Cox 1 on 22/06/2020 07:38:51:

Thanks for your post. Is this an original idea?

It is measuring "Basic Pitch".

I have an excel spreadsheet that does basic gear calculations, and one thing it gives is a "span across N" which can be used to check when the hobbing process has cut deep enough.
I found a reference online that mentioned using the difference between two spans to determine PA, but that only had an equation.

I used my spreadsheet to calculate the numbers for the range of gears shown

However, armed with these phrases, I have actually found a much more extensive table and a more detailed explanation:

**LINK**

Edited By Andy Pugh on 22/06/2020 09:34:26

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the post and the link.

Mike

22/06/2020 07:38:51

Thanks for your post. Is this an original idea? What is the maths behind it?

Regards Mike

Thread: How do I Calculate Pulley Diameter for Timing Belts
23/05/2020 16:12:27

Hi Neil,

You can look up the outside diameter of standard pulleys in manufacturers literature, see for example:

**LINK**.

When I have machined timing belt pulleys I use the given outside dimension for the number of teeth and then cut the grooves to give the require angular pitch.

Should be possible to use the same method to 3D drawing and then print.

Mike

Thread: Rotary Table Chucks
18/05/2020 16:09:37

The most useful chuck I use on my rotary table is an ER32 collet chuck on an MT2 morse taper. This also fits into my lathe using an MT2 to MT3 adaptor. THis is especially useful for gear cutting because you can turn a part to size on the lathe and transfer to the rotary table with no loss of concentricity.

Mike

Thread: CMD10/SeigX1 query
03/05/2020 17:03:26

I made a lever to clamp the quill that does away with the need for a hex key, see:

**LINK**

Thread: DIAMIND DISC
27/04/2020 20:44:34

I am, I believe, the author of the author of the article you are searching for. It was entitled " Re-purposing on old bench grinder" and I think It was published during 2016.There was also a follow up article published a little later entitled "Further modifications to an old bench grinder", I have spent a good part of the day unsuccessfully trying to find my copy of the article in order to give you an exact reference to the articles. I am also having trouble viewing the MEW digital archive so this provided no help.

There is a short write up of the project on my website, see:

**LINK**

If I can be of any further assistance please send me a pm.

Mike

Thread: Anaerobic adhesive question
24/04/2020 08:55:47

For many applications, such as the one being discuss, I prefer to use slow cure epoxy adhesive rather than anaerobic adhesive. This gives plenty of open time and it forms a very strong bond with steel (and most other metals).

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Warco
ChesterUK
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest