By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter G. Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Peter G. Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Censorship on this forum
19/02/2021 11:26:48

Given the damage that is now being recognised as being caused by American companies such as Facebook, then I personally think that information and proposals such as that being promulgated by the Australian government should be shouted from the hilltops etc. to ensure that everyone, and I do mean everyone, is aware of what is going on.

Danny, I don't know what was said, and hence don't know whether I agree with you or not, but your post does imply that Facebook are (unsurprisingly) engaging in bullying tactics in order to get their way. All power to your government.

Come back Danny, we'll miss you.

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Facebook's Portal & Privacy
16/02/2021 13:32:27

Well, I've had a good look around for Guest services with BT & the HomeHub5. It does seem to be a no-no unless I am prepared to spend money on additional/replacement equipment and then mess around setting it all up. As a result, I have come to the conclusion that my present setup (fixed IP's for the laptops and Portal) along with allowing communication between the laptops whilst at the same time denying any attempts at communication between Portal and the laptops is about the best I'm going to get.

I thank you all for your thoughts.

Peter G. Shaw

15/02/2021 21:54:04

Hello Bazyle,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I can find no reference to such a thing. Maybe the router is too old, being as far as I can tell, about 5 years old.

Peter G. Shaw

15/02/2021 15:57:19

JohnF,

Unfortunately, it was bought for us by our elder son mainly, I think, for his 5 year old daughter, to talk to us without parental assistance. But it does enable family group chats with upto, I think, four groups. I have to say that when he first mentioned it to me, I did look on the internet and discovered that there is a PC version so I started reading the small print - and almost immediately gave up when I came across something along the lines of "You agree that we may have access to.....". It was at this point I started saying things like "Not on your nelly, mate. I've managed for 77 years without such a thing: I can manage a few more without it." Plus a few more uncomplimentary remarks. Anyway, it's here now, and our youngest son set it up to use our LAN. And so a rearguard action is required.

And like you, I am now using DuckDuckGo in place of Google, especially as Google, and YouTube, are now both asking you to login before using their facilities. Again, "Sod off, mate. I've managed quite well up to now without you!"

Dave/SOD,

Thankyou for your reply. I've a sneaky suspicion that after much messing about, and not really getting anywhere, I've sort of ended up doing what you suggested. By accident, of course. The problem was that the internet stuff for GUFW is, I think, based at/aimed at earlier/different versions of GUFW - I'm on v 18.04.0 - and the info I found at some stage or other did not agree with what I had on screen. Then, this morning I found the genuine Ubuntu instructions which used the command line and UFW, and it all started to fall into place. This, then, is what I have done:

All three laptops use their own fixed address - set up in the router. To which I have added Portal. The idea being that I now know what connection any device should be using.

All three laptops have had SSH Server added via the command line. (sudo apt update, then sudo apt-get install openssh-server)

All three laptops are then set up to access the other laptops , a long winded affair which involves typing in all sorts of information (File/Connect to Server)

Once set up, then by using, via the command line on each laptop, something like:

sudo ufw allow ip address to any for both the other laptops, followed by

sudo ufw deny ip address for the Portal.

Using GUFW then shows (under Rules):

22 ALLOW IN 192.xxx.y.zz1

22 ALLOW IN 192.xxx.y.zz2

Anywhere DENY IN 192.xxx.y.zz3

where 192.xxx.y.zz1 (&zz2) are the IP addresses of the two computers, and 192.xxx.y.zz3 is Portal.

So, hopefully, I've improved my security somewhat.

Cheers,

Peter G. Shaw

15/02/2021 09:30:38

Good morning people,

Recently one of our children has given us a device known as Portal and which is produced by Facebook, the idea being to assist communications between ourselves and our children & grandchildren. And in this it works very well, is easy to use, and seems far better than Skype. It works by connecting to our home network by wifi, and hence to the internet via high speed broadband.

But, I do have a nagging suspicion about Facebook.

To put it bluntly, I don't trust them to not use the access onto the home network to start snooping around my computers, and let's face it, these American corporations are not known for their respect of peoples privacy, hence the uproar by various countries/organisations.

Now, my home network consists of three laptops, all running Linux Mint 19.3, all using SSH to connect with the router (a BT Homehub 5) and with each other for the purposes of data transfer, and have been set within the router to use fixed IP's on the home network. I suspect that I need to use GUFW on each laptop, but don't really understand what I'm doing. What I want to do is to set each laptop to allow traffic between the three laptops, and the internet, yet prevent any traffic to/from Portal aimed at the laptops. So far, I have also set Portal to use a fixed IP as well.

So, any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Peter G. Shaw

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 15/02/2021 09:32:05

Thread: Covid test
13/02/2021 17:26:32

Had my Astra-Zenica jab Thursday 21.Jan. Do not recall any side-effects. And I'm on a chemotherapy drug. And drugs following a mild heart attack. But then I've had most of the 'flu jabs over the last 10 years (I think it is) with no side effects at all.

(I say most of the 'flu jabs because one was missed due, I suspect, to a letter being sent to the wrong Peter Shaw.)

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
13/02/2021 11:37:28

Re: white text on black background.

This is what I use on my desktop. Deliberately. No fancy pictures. No real colouring because it seems that for my chosen scheme, Linux icons are mostly monochrome. And that's how I like it. Plain and easy to read.

I do use different schemes elsewhere, eg I have a DOS based database which uses black lettering on a pale gray background. But it also uses a few colours as well - red frame, yellow highlighting, green showing where the cursor is. All plain simple colours. Whilst experimenting, I did end up red headings, pale blue highlighting and brown cursor line. And frankly, it's hideous, but I can't be bothered amending it.

But, in general, I want a non-existent background upon which the data, whatever that data may be, stands out.

Just my 2-pennorth.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: MEW issue 301
10/02/2021 12:41:17

Not sure now whether or not it was Saturday or Monday when it arrived.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Hey you! What lathe? Why?
09/02/2021 10:44:04

Just another couple of totally unrelated comments:

Firstly, as someone else has said, I took "Hey You" to be nothing more than an eye-catching statement. Certainly I did not see anything wrong in it.

Secondly, we used to have a black Labrador. Idle, good for nothing, friendly family pet who had some unfortunate, but not bad habits, things such as raking a paw down your leg if he wanted some attention. Plus, of course, as a Labrador he seemed permanently hungry! Anyway, I digress. Unfortunately for him, the 220 lathe must have produced some sort of high frequency noise which he could hear. We couldn't hear anything, but if I started up the lathe he immediately went as far away as he could get. It wasn't just the lathe, because when my daughter ran her washing machine at night, again he could hear something that distressed him. And if you could imagine about 90lbs of quaking labrador...

As an aside, just to show how gentle he actually was, I was reading the paper one night, the dog was laid in his usual position and our youngest was crawling about the floor. Then I heard some quiet groans, and when I looked up, the baby was laid on top of the dog who other than groaning wasn't doing anything to escape. This is, until he heard something in the kitchen which meant a titbit, at which point he stood up at the front, the baby slid off onto the floor, the dog then stood up at the back, turned on the spot, carefully stepped over the baby and trotted off into the kitchen. Which told me that the the dog knew exactly what he was doing. And more importantly that he could escape at any time.

Peter G. Shaw

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 09/02/2021 10:46:27

08/02/2021 11:31:03

Chris & others,

At about, or more likely shortly before, I was looking into a larger lathe, there were a few articles in ME about this subject, the end result, as I understand it, being that yes, you can do whatever you wish in/on your private property until such time as the local council receives a complaint at which point said council is legally obliged to investigate.

In my case, my 13 year old daughter had been, shall we say, somewhat cheeky to a neighbour (and we all know just what 13 year old girls can be like), plus my elder son out walking our dog along an unmade up lane had been told off by a relation of the neighbour and who threatened to shoot the dog on the grounds that he owned the lane and son & dog were trespassing. Needless to say after a conversation with the local council, and the police, to establish exactly where we stood resulted in me making a visit to this person who quickly started talking about shooting with a camera! Hence afterwards, I attempted to at least keep on the right side of the neighbours on our street - which was somewhat awkward when Warco delivered the 220 lathe inside an rather large panel van emblazoned with Warco Machine Tools etc, at 2200 hours! No offence intended to Warco, by the way - that was just the way it happened. Fortunately nothing came of that, but in view of the ME articles, and my run-ins with the neighbour & relatives, I was indeed rather wary.

I should point out that all of my activities took place either at a weekend, or early evening usually ending somewhere between 20:30 and 21:00.

Incidently, shortly after these events and nothing to do with them, and once early retirement became a realistic proposition, we took the opportunity to relocate from that city suburb to our present address on the edge of the Lake District. That being 25 years ago.

Cheers,

Peter G. Shaw

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 08/02/2021 11:32:50

07/02/2021 12:04:14

In MEW299, an article of mine was published which in addition to the other stuff I covered, gave an insight into how I ended up with the Warco 220. What that article didn't do, was to go into, in any real depth, just how I came to buy the Warco. Hopefully, this will flesh out that article, and perhaps give you some things to think about.

I had actually used a lathe, a Portass, at school, but not on metalwork so in reality, I didn't know that much about their capabilities, or even their requirements when I started down this trail. For instance, I knew nothing about rigidity and the concomitant weight, hence the idea of a home-made lathe from pieces of bent metal was a non-starter even before I attempted it. Similarly, whilst the Unimat 1 would, eventually, have done what I wanted, power requirements was another feature about which I was blissfully ignorant. Unfortunately, the Unimat 1 had something like a 15W motor, far too low in reality! Indeed, you could say that the Hobbymat was the first proper lathe which had something like a reasonable amount of power and was of a suitably appropriate weight. But it eventually proved to be too small. Not only that, but its speed ranges were somewhat on the high side - 250, 500, 1000, 2000, rpm. I have a book, "Using the Small Lathe", by L.C. Mason in which he states that by and large, the lower speeds are generally the more useful: he, of course, was talking about the Myford he owned with a speed range of, I think, down to 37 rpm.

Although the Hobbymat was a good machine for me to learn on, what I eventually discovered was that there was a large casting flaw in the headstock, hidden under a permanently attached instruction plate. That machine was exchanged by the importers. The replacement machine was eventually shown to be cutting very slightly convex. At least, that's what I thought at the time - it could, of course, be my technique that was wrong especially as I was still in the first few years of lathe ownership when it could be said that I didn't really know what I was doing. Perhaps that still applies today?

But then onto the 220. By now, I knew that I simply did not know enough to be able to buy a good second hand machine, and I was not prepared to risk £100's on something that might be duff, and so I decided on new. Of course, there was also the thought about not wanting to import something into a residential estate which could be described as a small industrial machine which rather restricted my choice to lathes for the hobby market. I also knew that I wanted a larger machine. So I went through the mill of obtaining and comparing specifications and prices. Remember that in 1994, we did not have the variety of imports that we have today. I even wrote to ME (no MEW or website back then) and telephoned Tubal Cain/T.D. Walshaw. Predictably Walshaw recommended a refurbished Myford (who refused to take the Hobbymat in part exchange unless I bought new) whilst the only thing I can remember from the letter in ME was "Buy-Buy before Bye-Bye", a comment based on the quantity of equipment being offered for sale due to death.

And so, I ended up with the 220. Some people could not get on with it, and yes it does have its problems, but for my purposes it has proved satisfactory and over the years I have learnt how to overcome those problems. Would I buy one today? No! Knowing what I know now, would I have bought one back in 1994. Probably not as the 918 despite its poorer specification, is probably a better machine, certainly it, and its successors, are still available whilst the 220 is not. But with the knowledge, or more correctly lack of knowledge, I had back then, I would still have bought the 220.

What features do I find most useful. All of them! Ok, that is somewhat cynical. Or is it sarcastic. I never know the difference. Anyway, since buying the lathe, I've done all sorts of things on it so all the features have been used. I don't have a gearbox, so I do have to mess about with oily, geasy, gearwheels etc so a gearbox might be handy. But in reality, I don't do that much screwcutting, and in any case, a gearbox does not cover all possible combinations of threads that a machine such as mine can do. What about power cross-feed. Now that might be nice to have, or is it? Power longitudinal feed is essential, but cross-feed? Maximum diameter on mine is 200mm over the bed, or about 130mm over the saddle so in general, maximum cross-feed is perhaps 65mm. Is that too much for smooth manual facing? Dunno. I do tend to use the tailstock a lot for drilling and tapping so that feature is essential. There is a ring of 12 holes in the mandrel flange. Supposedly for basic indexing. Mostly used as a temporary lock for the mandrel so probably of little use. I don't have a cross-slide lock and have wished for one many times. (An aquaintence with the same lathe uses a nylon screw down one of the tapped holes on the cross-slide for this purpose.)

Well, there we are, I'll finish with a comment from L.C.Mason from the same book mentioned above: "So whether it is a real tiddler or a factory-size toolroom job, acquire a lathe somehow. You'll have lifelong pleasure from it!"

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Covoid jabs
01/02/2021 17:07:30

I too was impressed with the organisation of my jab recently, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one impressed. As others have said, marshals in the car park, marshals inside who directed me to a particular chair, then almost immediately called into a room where there was a GP, a nurse, and someone on the computer. Back out and then round a separate route to get back outside. I would have been in and out in 5 minutes or so were it not for having to visit the inhouse pharmacy (nowt to do with Covid). As it was 15 mins at most for both.

So, well done Cockermouth & Derwent Surgery.

In respect of the 15 mins post-jab wait, if you came with a driver, then there was no wait, otherwise if on your own, you were asked to wait the requisite 15 mins.

And mine was Astra-Zenica.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Rejoice, Rejoice, I have at long last achieved something!
13/01/2021 14:12:01

Thanks for that Neil. I wonder if passage of time has dulled the memory and mine did indeed have a 60W max sticker. Oh, well, I'll never know. What I do know is that both the lampholder and the connecting flexible wire have been changed at some point in the dark & distant past. Now I do know that some of these "plastic" lampholders do start to smell if used on their maximum power rating, and also, that the insulation in the flexible cable do tend to become brittle and crack/fail when exposed to too much heat. So what did I do? And when? $64,000 question, and there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then. Also, although I have been trying to use CFL's in it, I really have no idea for how long.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I was just overjoyed to have found a resolution to the problem of over-heavy lamps.

Peter G. Shaw

08/01/2021 14:19:06

Bill,

For me, can't speak for others, we do not have any dimmers.

David,

I don't remember with what the Anglepoise was originally fitted.

As it happens, within the last 12 months I have scrapped a 5 arm fitting which did indeed have brass bulb holders with an earthing terminal/screw. This particular fitting has been rewired 3 times during its 45-50 year old lifespan, the last time being only a few years ago. At that time, I specifically asked for heat resistant flex from the electrical shop - this was because the previous flex had disintegrated under the effects of the heat. Whatever I was given wasn't suitable for the task as when I dismantled the fitting, I discovered that the outer sleeve was "wet" with a liquid. Not only that, but one or two of the cord clamp screws had corroded into the brass shell such that they were irremovable.

Peter G. Shaw

08/01/2021 11:05:29

I do tend to think of it as a quality thing - poor electronics that can't cope with heat. When all said and done, heat is to be expected so the lamps should be able to cope with it without the user having to remove shades. This is why I particularly mentioned the makes I have found satisfactory - Phillips, Osram & Crompton.

In respect of heat, I have noticed that some devices, eg the Anglepoise mentioned initially, and various table lamps, do actually have spaces or gaps where the hot air can escape, whereas two room fittings, did not.

I must admit to being somewhat surprised at Ring or Bell (I actually can't remember which of these, or maybe it's both) being unreliable. When all said and done, both Ring and Bell have been around for a long time, but then, that's life is it not, we can only go by our experiences, and now I give those two makes, along with Mega-whatever a wide birth - I just can't do these days with continually having to change lamps and then take them back under warranty. (Except for the fact that the shop that sold me the 16W lamps has now closed permanently, - nothing to do with Covid 19, by the way.)

Peter G. Shaw

p.s. There are too many Peter's around here! Hence my use of my full(ish) name.

p.p.s. Unfortunately, I've also found that Peter Shaw is even more common, so have to include the middle initial!

Thread: Car Identity
08/01/2021 10:43:21

The middle car is not an Austin Maxi Hi-Line 1750. I don't know what it is, but after having had two Maxis, that ain't one of them. For a start, the Maxis were 5 door - the one in the photo is 3 doors.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: Rejoice, Rejoice, I have at long last achieved something!
08/01/2021 09:46:15

Hello Oven Man/Peter,

I've wondered about heat, indeed when we got this three-legged thing, before we started down the CFL/LED trail, they did indeed have the incandescent bulbs pointing upwards inside a shade with no means of allowing air to circulate. With the change to CFL's, and the thought that heat may be doing them in, I turned the holders through 180 degrees, still with the shades on but no difference. When we went over to LED's, we didn't bother doing anything, just left things as they were, after all, even at 16W the LED's are still lower power than the CFL's. Still though with shades and no facility for a through flow of air. Once the LED's started failing, I removed the shades but still had failures until we bought the Crompton's mentioned above.

So, at the moment, we have this three legged light fitting with no shades on it and the lamps pointing down. And so far, no problems. So, is it heat? Or is that Cromptons are a better made product? I'll let you know in 12 months time, if a) I'm still here, and b) if I can remember.

Cheers,

Peter G. Shaw

07/01/2021 21:19:12

Don't know about life, but that's how they are.

Peter

Thread: Model Engineer Index
07/01/2021 17:08:43

I have a DOS based database into which I type information about any article which may be of future interest to me. These articles are categorized into various categories (sorry about that!) such as Myford, Drills & Drilling, Workshop Equipment etc. In addition, I scan any articles which may be of relative immediate interest and after cleaning up with the GIMP, a Photoshop equivalent, I store on the computer as a JPG ready for printing. These articles are categorised eg, lathe, milling machine, miscellaneous, etc.

The main problem is that it requires a certain mindset to do this regularly, and ideally requires doing from the very first magazine bought.

Peter G. Shaw

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
07/01/2021 16:56:41

Yes indeed, mine arrived this am just in time to take with me on my 4 weekly trip to the hospital.

Some repeat stuff, but I was very interested in John Crammonds version of L.C. Mason's Small lathe. Well done John.

Not really interested in re-building an MGB - had enough of that when trying to keep a VW Beetle running. But I do understand that some people enjoy that sort of stuff.

But still, mustn't complain, after all, we are still receiving the mag. Long may it continue.

Thanks, Neil.

Peter G. Shaw

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest