By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Involute Curve

Here is a list of all the postings Involute Curve has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
17/08/2019 12:58:14

A while ago I posted some pictures of my new bikes frame build, as you can see from the pics its developed a bit, in fact its been more or less finished for a bit, first test was Croft a couple of months ago, then Oulton, our final test was Donnington last month, and now its off to the Classic TT, as usual we made pretty much the whole thing, its been a hell of a lot of work, and its basically taken all our spare time for the last year and a bit by the three of us involved, hence the name SNT, Shaun, Neil Tony, but it has been great fun hopefully the weather will be good, and we manage to finish ok cant wait.

Shaun

sntxrnf.jpg

sntxr.jpg

07/07/2019 09:31:05

That looks like the method used by Velocette as described by Phil Irving in some of his books and Technical papers on such matters.

Thread: Capstan query
15/03/2019 11:56:54

I have a capstan unit came with my M300, it looks like its never been used but is missing some of the arbors, I'm still undecided if I should keep it or move it on............ or move again to bigger workshop

Thread: Where to begin?
15/02/2019 10:17:46

A good starting position would be to identify the field you are most passionate about, Design or CNC machining, and concentrate on learning software that lends itself to that area of interest, initially I think Design would be the least expensive route, and Fusion 360 is as easy enough to learn, although I personally don't like cloud based solutions.

At work we use Siemens NX and Solidworks, we also use Delcam's Cam software.

You could move onto CNC programming and Cam later on, and if you can handle the boredom become a CNC operator. smiley

Also decide which industry

Injection moulded products design, this could be anything from a clothes pegs to a wheely bin

Consumer product design.

Automotive components.

Motorcycle components.

Cycling components.

Light Aircraft parts.

Offshore industry.

I list the above because I personally work in them all, but I started out in CNC making motorcycle parts at home.

Shaun

Thread: Alternative to a QCTP?
03/02/2019 10:44:06

My new to me Harrison M300 has a QCTP with 8 holders, and rear tool post, I still have the 140 which has both a 4 way and a 3 way plus a dedicated Boring bar tool post and a couple of singles, I am still not convinced the QCTP is the best option, at the moment I think I prefer the 4 and 3 way.

what do other prefer in use

Shaun

Thread: what is this for
27/01/2019 18:47:00

I have a floating carriage Micrometer with a fiducial setup very similar to the one above, I inherited it from my granddad, I've never used it, Ill dig it out of its storage box and take some pics if anyone interested.

Shaun

Thread: Cutting a large chunk of nice aluminium into workable pieces
20/01/2019 10:08:21

I often cut 5083, 50mm thick on my bandsaw quite easily, its great stuff especially for welded parts as it retains its strength after welding unlike 6082 which requires heat treatment after welding in order to return to full strength.

Shaun

Thread: Occasional usage Sand blaster
16/01/2019 17:08:33

Looks useful for occasional stuff as stated.

I have been toying with a small Vapour blaster idea for a while and have most of the drawings done, in essence they are quite simple machines and by default recycle the media, also they don't require as much air as normal blasters, we have four at work that are 1.5m x 1.2m internally, two are used for general cleaning of various mainly automotive components, but two we exclusively use for our race engine prep before rebuild, depending on media the finish is fantastic, I'm unsure why but after vapour blasting, aluminium seems to hold its finish for ages, even so most of our race engine crank cases now get Xylan coated.

Thread: CNC machines in the Uk
26/12/2018 15:16:39

Hiya Kevin, It may help if you visit a workshop with CNC capability like mine I'm in Co Durham.

Where in the country are you located.

Thread: New to CNC
09/12/2018 14:43:44

It would help if you posted the spec of the machine in question.

Very simplified CNC System.................

At its heart Mach3, 4, is an interface, trajectory planner, and G-code interpreter, however it can also be a motion controller in its own right, if you utilise the printer port(s), but this has it limitations.

A controller can include Mach3 as the interface but is actually a separate piece(s) of electronics kit that controls your Stepper and or Servo motors by receiving step and direction commands from Mach, it can also control relays, spindle etc etc etc.

CAD is where you create the drawings or 3D models.

CAM Software converts your 2D drawings or 3D cad model data into cutter path data.

Once the cutter paths are created they need to be output in a language your controller can understand, in Mach3's case G-code, this is done via a post processor, Mach3 closely emulates Fanuc, G-code, in my experience most Cam software will come with a standard Fanuc post processor, however its better to use a dedicated post processor for Mach3, some of which can be downloaded from the Mach download site, some Cam packages now come with a dedicated one for Mach, Fusion 360 being one of them.

HTH

Shaun

Thread: Small Scale CNC work required, any takers?
14/11/2018 09:03:16

Can I ask how much would you expect or hope to pay for this work?

just curious

Thread: JB cutting tools .com
19/10/2018 13:53:34

+1 more for JB tooling, I've been dealing with Jenny for years never had a problem, I stopped going to Ruforth when they did, so post only now.

Thread: Brazing carbide tips
19/10/2018 13:30:23

I use gas welding kit and sifbronze No1, but pretty much any brazing rod will do and you could prbably get away with Map gas if its a small tool and tip.

Thread: Quality/Durability of milling cutters
17/10/2018 17:13:58

I like Clarkson cutters, I tried the Chinese stuff and gave up, although I'm sure they do make decent cutters, I just haven't come across any,, I buy most of my cutters from Cutwell, as I get pretty good discount from them now but I probably spend a couple of grand a year with them.

Thread: Mach3 mystery error
16/10/2018 18:31:04

I have a Mach 4 license but have never used it as yet, (I got bored waiting for a stable version so gave up) I have Mach3 running on windows 7 and 8 no problem, however with these later versions of windows I use UC300ETH Controller, this is on the interact 2, I still use mach 3 on the Hurco via printer ports with windows xp but its new hardware, I can also run LinuxCNC on both, there are others out there, UCCNC being another thats cheaper than MachXX

16/10/2018 16:02:54

I would be nice to know which version of Mach3 you are using, some versions have more bugs than others, I know of a few versions that on G0 command Mach3 moves all drives faster than the set acceleration in motor tuning, this can cause drivers to error, how it should work on G0 is to use the acceleration of the slowest drive for all axis, however some of the later versions of Mach3 had this bug, Art Fernety recommended version is No 3.043.062, this is my prefered version, another good version recommended by John Stevenson is Version 3041, I have both of these if you pm me, but I think all these are still available on the download / support site for Artisoft.

HTH

Shaun

Thread: Steel for machining
04/10/2018 18:23:04

Material Cast Iron, my guess is the original will have been hollow, in order to make to manageable.

Shaun

Thread: G-Code editor with back plotting
02/10/2018 17:51:07

I used to use a program called NC plot, it had a nice editor and allowed for easy back plotting, I have a copy of the program installer but it dates back to 2006, I haven't run on later operating systems, I think its share or freeware, it had a nag screen that disappeared on click, pm me and ill send it to you.

Shaun

I just googled it its still available in a newer version, but its no longer free 

Edited By Involute Curve on 02/10/2018 17:55:34

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
20/09/2018 17:12:46

Quite a while ago it was mentioned in this thread about John Bradley's Racing Motorcycle books, these now sell for silly money second hand ont interweb, anyhow I received an email from John today informing me his latest book Volume three is now available, during a subsequent telephone conversation John informed me the plates for Volume 2 got destroyed when the publisher went into receivership so its unlikely to be reprinted, these book are the best ever written on this subject, especially if you build or prepare race bikes, but also have tons of info on suitability of materials etc, my guess is it will be a short print run, its available direct from John below

www.broadlandleisure.com

I should point out I have no commercial interest in this other than as a chuffed customer, who is looking forwards to his new book arriving soon.

Shaun

Edited By Involute Curve on 20/09/2018 17:30:44

Thread: Inverter Drives for Motors
03/08/2018 15:43:37

Inverter / VFD IDC cables, this is a related question to the above however slightly OT, I have a few VFDs in my workshop now, and just purchased another one its a cheapo 2.2kw from HY, I intend to use this on my Drill press, I also have a 3kw one I'm going to install on the M300 at a later date, whilst playing about with the HY one, I noticed the front control panel clips out as a complete unit, it has 14 pin 2.5mm pitch IDC socket on the back of the panel and a corresponding plug on the VFD itself, my question is where can I buy a ready made 14 pin IDC 2.5mm pitch male to female cable, say 600mm long, this I will use to relocate the control panel onto the front of the machine, I know you can buy a remote pendant and or operate the VFD via switches, I just think this would be a neater and simpler solution.

Below is a link to a similar VFD with the cable!!

**LINK**

Shaun

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest