By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Involute Curve

Here is a list of all the postings Involute Curve has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Identify this rod
21/06/2020 16:53:29

yes

21/06/2020 15:16:27

A friend of a friend is trying to repair this clock, I was emailed this picture asking if I knew what this rod is for, can anyone shed light on this??

Thanks in advance

Shaun

clock.jpg

Edited By Involute Curve on 21/06/2020 15:17:17

Thread: Tig Welder recommendation
14/05/2020 16:05:53
Posted by Spurry on 13/05/2020 23:10:21:
Posted by Dave T on 13/05/2020 21:10:22:

Parweld XT 220 P AC/DC for me too

Dave T

Is it really a 220, Mr Google seems to prefer 202? Or am I not looking properly?

Thanks

Pete

its 202 I just didnt go look

13/05/2020 19:59:20

Parweld are nice, I sold my R-tech and replaced it with a XT 220 P AC/DC, has most of the bells and whistles, and comes with 3 year warranty, not had to use this yet but had good reports I now have a water cooler for one of them,  this is used to weld the swingarms on our race bikes with it some of its 8mm.

img_20200415_075245.jpg

Edited By Involute Curve on 13/05/2020 20:00:46

Thread: Import cutters and end mills
16/04/2020 15:48:42

I didn't mention dont buy imports etc, I just suggested don't buy cheap.

This is the finish you can achieve with good cutters .

dualfiller.jpg

Dual Filler for a endurance race bike

img-20200113-wa0000.jpg

This is testing the cutter due to long stick out, about 65mm its 12 x 1 tip rad, Clutch Basket again for one of my race bikes, all machined at home in my workshop.

Edited By Involute Curve on 16/04/2020 16:14:08

16/04/2020 08:32:03

Buy cheap buy twice, it really is false economy to buy cheap cutters, I have in the past bought cutters from the usual suppliers, and thought they where ok for the price, however after buying some proper expensive ones, that cost probably 4 times the price of cheaper stuff, an example being I bought for a particular Job, 4no 12mm x 0.5 tip rads WMT ALI CUT, thinking I would use them and buy more as the job progressed, I still have 3 new, and the used one has ran for hours making well over 20 pairs of motorcycle yokes for our race bikes, and loads of other bits and pieces, the difference in performance is night and day, I now only buy proper branded cutters because in the end they work out cheaper, give a much better finish, and cut almost silent in comparison to the cheap stuff, I am slowly replacing all my cutters, but find I no longer want to use the still brand new cheaper stuff, and because I have bought quite a few I now get pricing that is about twice that of the poor ones.

I do however understand using the cheap stuff whilst your new to this, because you tend to break cutters as opposed to wearing them out.

Edited By Involute Curve on 16/04/2020 08:33:18

Thread: Harrison L5 serial number
26/03/2020 14:31:53

On the outside edge of the bedway just above the tailstock end leadscrew support bearing, its only small so quite difficult to see.

Shaun

Edited By Involute Curve on 26/03/2020 14:32:28

Thread: Powder coating
08/03/2020 10:33:22

At work we have a coating division, We often use powder coat as a primer especially if the final coat is a candy or other exotic finish, in addition powder coats are often applied in two or three stages, primer and finish and them possibly a lacquer coat, I have on many occasions powder coated steel structures (Motorcycle Restoration) that have had corrosion damage, after stripping and blasting we pre heat the frame then apply polyester powder primer, this can then be sanded back to get a smooth surface effectively filling in the corrosion damage, it is then re heated and over coated until I am happy with it, this can easily be flatted off and then painted over with paint, I suppose you could describe polyester as plastic, but if your inclined to be pedantic you could describe most paints (polyurethanes, etc etc) and in fact most clothing as plastic.

As an aside some so called powder coats are no longer in powder form they are liquid and applied with a spray gun and then baked at up to 400 deg C on our race engines we use Xylan coating this stuff is amazing applied wet as a super thin coat, the only we we have found to remove it effectively is with glass bead and its a nightmare taking ages, this is a fluorocarbon base product, Another plastic.. ha-ha

Shaun

q111111111.jpg

Xylan coating both Silver and Grey

I've uploaded some more pics of this engine competing in last Years Classic TT to my Misc album just in case anyone is interested.

Edited By Involute Curve on 08/03/2020 10:36:50

Thread: CNC machining assistance requested
23/02/2020 11:46:49

PM me I'm in Durham if thats close enough and can probably help.

Shaun

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
17/08/2019 12:58:14

A while ago I posted some pictures of my new bikes frame build, as you can see from the pics its developed a bit, in fact its been more or less finished for a bit, first test was Croft a couple of months ago, then Oulton, our final test was Donnington last month, and now its off to the Classic TT, as usual we made pretty much the whole thing, its been a hell of a lot of work, and its basically taken all our spare time for the last year and a bit by the three of us involved, hence the name SNT, Shaun, Neil Tony, but it has been great fun hopefully the weather will be good, and we manage to finish ok cant wait.

Shaun

sntxrnf.jpg

sntxr.jpg

07/07/2019 09:31:05

That looks like the method used by Velocette as described by Phil Irving in some of his books and Technical papers on such matters.

Thread: Capstan query
15/03/2019 11:56:54

I have a capstan unit came with my M300, it looks like its never been used but is missing some of the arbors, I'm still undecided if I should keep it or move it on............ or move again to bigger workshop

Thread: Where to begin?
15/02/2019 10:17:46

A good starting position would be to identify the field you are most passionate about, Design or CNC machining, and concentrate on learning software that lends itself to that area of interest, initially I think Design would be the least expensive route, and Fusion 360 is as easy enough to learn, although I personally don't like cloud based solutions.

At work we use Siemens NX and Solidworks, we also use Delcam's Cam software.

You could move onto CNC programming and Cam later on, and if you can handle the boredom become a CNC operator. smiley

Also decide which industry

Injection moulded products design, this could be anything from a clothes pegs to a wheely bin

Consumer product design.

Automotive components.

Motorcycle components.

Cycling components.

Light Aircraft parts.

Offshore industry.

I list the above because I personally work in them all, but I started out in CNC making motorcycle parts at home.

Shaun

Thread: Alternative to a QCTP?
03/02/2019 10:44:06

My new to me Harrison M300 has a QCTP with 8 holders, and rear tool post, I still have the 140 which has both a 4 way and a 3 way plus a dedicated Boring bar tool post and a couple of singles, I am still not convinced the QCTP is the best option, at the moment I think I prefer the 4 and 3 way.

what do other prefer in use

Shaun

Thread: what is this for
27/01/2019 18:47:00

I have a floating carriage Micrometer with a fiducial setup very similar to the one above, I inherited it from my granddad, I've never used it, Ill dig it out of its storage box and take some pics if anyone interested.

Shaun

Thread: Cutting a large chunk of nice aluminium into workable pieces
20/01/2019 10:08:21

I often cut 5083, 50mm thick on my bandsaw quite easily, its great stuff especially for welded parts as it retains its strength after welding unlike 6082 which requires heat treatment after welding in order to return to full strength.

Shaun

Thread: Occasional usage Sand blaster
16/01/2019 17:08:33

Looks useful for occasional stuff as stated.

I have been toying with a small Vapour blaster idea for a while and have most of the drawings done, in essence they are quite simple machines and by default recycle the media, also they don't require as much air as normal blasters, we have four at work that are 1.5m x 1.2m internally, two are used for general cleaning of various mainly automotive components, but two we exclusively use for our race engine prep before rebuild, depending on media the finish is fantastic, I'm unsure why but after vapour blasting, aluminium seems to hold its finish for ages, even so most of our race engine crank cases now get Xylan coated.

Thread: CNC machines in the Uk
26/12/2018 15:16:39

Hiya Kevin, It may help if you visit a workshop with CNC capability like mine I'm in Co Durham.

Where in the country are you located.

Thread: New to CNC
09/12/2018 14:43:44

It would help if you posted the spec of the machine in question.

Very simplified CNC System.................

At its heart Mach3, 4, is an interface, trajectory planner, and G-code interpreter, however it can also be a motion controller in its own right, if you utilise the printer port(s), but this has it limitations.

A controller can include Mach3 as the interface but is actually a separate piece(s) of electronics kit that controls your Stepper and or Servo motors by receiving step and direction commands from Mach, it can also control relays, spindle etc etc etc.

CAD is where you create the drawings or 3D models.

CAM Software converts your 2D drawings or 3D cad model data into cutter path data.

Once the cutter paths are created they need to be output in a language your controller can understand, in Mach3's case G-code, this is done via a post processor, Mach3 closely emulates Fanuc, G-code, in my experience most Cam software will come with a standard Fanuc post processor, however its better to use a dedicated post processor for Mach3, some of which can be downloaded from the Mach download site, some Cam packages now come with a dedicated one for Mach, Fusion 360 being one of them.

HTH

Shaun

Thread: Small Scale CNC work required, any takers?
14/11/2018 09:03:16

Can I ask how much would you expect or hope to pay for this work?

just curious

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest