By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DRO kit for Myford S7 from Machine DRO
16/06/2020 09:38:31

Hmm ... interesting. Different folks, different strokes!

I'm in the process of fitting a 2 axis M-Dro set (bought nearly 2 years ago!) to a D-W mill. Getting there, gradually, but had it not been for the Youtube videos published by ProDro, I would have given up before starting! The supplied 'instructions'- 5 booklets are printed at a print size suitable for magnifying glasses. The specific items feature at the very end of one general description booklet with nothing to guide you there. The only video Allendale publish is less than helpful.

The ProDro videos, while produced in a form suitable for children, cover all the basics in a way that makes sense and are tranlatable to any equivalent product. It would appear, also, that their kits are provided with accessories which are actually of use, as against the bright, shiny, 'don't fit anything here' bits which are included with the M Dro package.

If, and it's a big 'if', the kit is fitted and (more importantly) works, I shall be relieved, surprised and grateful to other than the kit providers.

rgds

Bill

PS - I should add, in fairness, that I have no engineering skills background, so the above is from the perspective of a complete beginner.

Thread: Mag scales and steel screws?
13/06/2020 17:21:42

Many thanks, gentlemen.

Jim Nic - of course, you're right but it's the proximity of the screw heads to the tape ( thous " ) which I saw as a possible problem.

Nigel - Thank you, I've got some slips which should be more than accurate enough to calibrate for my tolerances!

John - the scales are M - DRO supplied and none of their supplied fastenings (or supports etc.) are any use at all.

Rik - the end fitting idea sounds good - there are none supplied with the scales, which seems odd, but the package as a whole seems unimpressive - especially the 'instructions'!!!

rgds

Bill

13/06/2020 10:07:39

In the (slow) process of installing mag dro scales on a D-W mill. I'm using aluminium angle for mounting and have modified some m6 screws to hold the scales to the angle pieces. The screws are in counterbored 'pockets' in the scale strip holders and, thus, the mag tape passes directly across the screw heads. Is this likely to affect the scale readability and should I source some brass or other non-magnetic screws?

rgds

Bill

Thread: Tallyho project
10/06/2020 17:23:17

+1 several times over! Not just for the quality of the work completed but the work ethic of the main shipwright and those who help out. Inspiring springs to mind!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Model Engineer Back Issue
10/06/2020 13:39:55

David - you might want to re-check the issue details. I have the version you specify and the only LBSC item is a 'general' item about steam - nothing about Hielan Lassie.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Hermes Parcels
10/06/2020 09:02:19

" trouble is you cant tell the seller which courier to use. "

George - while you can't force the seller to use a particular system, you can organise the delivery yourself. Ask the seller for dimensions, weight, pick-up address, date and time and email and phone and book the delivery yourself. The barcode label will be sent to you and you copy it to the seller to print and attach. Very simple and, in many cases , welcomed by the seller (except those using p&p to increase their profit!)

rgds

Bill

Thread: Dore-Westbury info?
06/06/2020 12:08:26

Mike - Just had a look at your album photos .... hmmm - obviously a D-W, "but not as we mere mortals know it, Jim"

That's 'work of art' territory!! I reckon Edgar and Arnold would be rather impressed !

Enough of the tool jealousy - thank you for the photos - they are useful pointers.

rgds

Bill

06/06/2020 11:48:10

Thank you Mike - I'll have a look at the photos. I had considered something sounding similar but using square ali tube and putting the scale on that and the read head on the cross slide. I take your caveat on the x axis.

rgds

Bill

06/06/2020 11:42:34

Brian - you have a PM.

rgds

Bill

06/06/2020 11:21:28

Many thanks Brian - kind offer, gratefully accepted.

I'll email separately.

rgds

Bill

06/06/2020 10:30:10

Just had a cracked casting repaired on my D-W and taking the opportunity to fit a set of magnetic DRO scales. The Y axis scale is slightly problematical because the base casting sides are angled where the scales would best fit. Have any owners done the installation and have any recommendations for this , please?

rgds

Bill

Thread: Machine Tool Peripheral Hoists
02/06/2020 09:36:15

Clive - Thank you again for the 'mental nudge' re. counter-balance mounting. I have just the sort of thing you describe - ex commercial, foldable metal trolley on casters, covered with 'come-in-handy' items of considerable weight. Managed to 'clear a 7" x 7" space in the top shelf corner and the swivel boom swings to stay within the trolley outline. Sorted!

Once I get it bolted down, I'll take a piccie.

rgds

Bill

31/05/2020 22:33:43

Thank you Clive.

Your suggestion re. the rolling cart is a 'bulleye'! Even I ought to be able to rig up something suitable. The obvious potential 'gotcha' is the counterbalancing but I shall consider ... and, no doubt, procrastinate!

rgds

Bill

31/05/2020 17:29:27

Just noticed this thread.

The photos below show a bodge modification I made to an ex-car hoist for mobility scooters.I had to do a bit of rewiring and incorporating a transformer power supply (RS variable output). The base is 7" x 7" x 1/4" steel with corner holes for attachment. Original s.w.l. was, apparently, 160kgs (?) so probably OK for chucks etc. Not sure if I'll get round to installing it.

img_0114a.jpg

img_0115a.jpg

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
30/05/2020 09:55:08

V8 - interesting concept ... but ...

Rather too many battery-related aircraft incidents for unlimited confidence at the moment. Batteries are only an intermediate in the 'power train' ... the charge source (coal, nuclear, gas) really needs to be hydrogen to have any realistic value in climate change.

The discharge curve would make interesting viewing.

rgds

Bill

30/05/2020 09:41:45

Thank you , Neil - so that's what Horace said! yes

rgds

Bill

Thread: Repair advice, please!
28/05/2020 11:55:57

Adrian, thank you. In fact, I have such a tube - ex Shoprite(?? radial arm saw - the source of the patch shown in photo 2.

Keith, thank you also and your suggested source is noted - sounds possible. I don't have enough engineering knowledge to visualise the 'proper split cotter system' - could you expand a bit, please?

rgds

Bill

28/05/2020 09:41:33

Jon, Pete, John and Nick thank you. Your caveats re adhesives have been taken on board and that option moved to the bottom of the list. Nick., I have a set of original drawings, so could work from those.

John R - sounds like a possible option but I would see the need for some serious heat producers - e.g.Sievert or Rothenberger rather than my camping gas jobby.

Any way thank you all again - excellent brain food and I 'll let you know what results. It might even be a return to the present Zero Clips arrangement!

"Zero Clips"?? ... the black ridged item on the left hand end of photo 1. It is one of several (for me) 'must have' workshop items - a bodgers 'go-to'. The black ridged item is the basis for a plastic 'Jubilee Clip' which has a similar material securing collar producing an extraordinarily high clamping force. They can be joined to produce any length needed and I have (confidently) used them in the past as life-line type supports. The one in the photo has been used as a stop-gap clamp across the cracked area and has withstood all imposed loads, so far. The search for repair methods is to do away with such an obvious 'bodge!

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 28/05/2020 09:42:11

27/05/2020 22:58:11

Yet again, many thanks for useful comments and ideas but very particularly for Pete's most generous offer. The extraordinary open-hand towards a total stranger is very special. I think the logistics would probably defeat me but, if you're ever in the North Norfolk coast area, there are several 'thank-you beers' in the 'fridge!

Again, food for thought, including a reply from Araldite suggesting a guarded ' would probably work, with careful preparation and the metal strengthening plate'.The 'metal stitching' would almost certainly be the most reliable but the process is (unsurprisingly) an 'inhouse' affair -i.e. not diy and undoubtedly expensive.

Kettrinboy's experience and the proven results sound extremely encouraging. I would be more than happy with that quality of finish although mine more likely to be much less elegant. Your short account of the process was much appreciated - any further hints and tips would be very welcome.

pgk - good point made adding to the 'ching, ching, ching' factor!!

rgds

Bill

27/05/2020 12:23:56

Thank you all again, chaps. Some very interesting suggestions tempered by personal competence and age! Just had a look at robjon's suggestion - very impressive looking technique!

Howard's idea, particularly as modified by pgk, could be a 'goer' -certainly food for thought.

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate