By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: It's not engineering but
30/03/2020 11:41:33

Eric - I don't have the personal skills to make sensible comments on such super craftswomanship, but picture 2 above generated an instant mental image of 1940s 'bathnights' - zinc bath and water from the 'copper'! Brilliant!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Pressure
30/03/2020 11:29:32

Last night's Beeb Wx forecast had a remark that we had just experienced the highest barometric pressure recorded for a hundred years , although the figure wasn't mentioned. We seem to be in a cycle of record meteorological 'events'. The barometric 'swing' has been exceptional with extreme LOW pressure in Norway recently threatening to ground some aircraft types - the altimeter sub-scales were not able to set to such values!!

The 'baro' graph from the Davis weather station shows a large transient 'spike' a couple of days ago - looks as though it might have been up around the 1050 mark!

Strange times, indeed

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 30/03/2020 11:30:14

Thread: What are you doing to stay safe
29/03/2020 15:09:44

RMA - what you are seeing on Flight Raidar are pax aircraft flying freight with empty cabins or occasionally packaged freight on seats.. You won't make profits on this sort of operation but it may cover costs. Most 'passenger flights' earn sizeable revenues with the holds carrying up to 20 tonnes of freight.

rgds

Bill

29/03/2020 12:32:50

" The journalist is not responsible"

Never a truer word said!!! ... and repeating it online even more so.!

However even if your distortions/lies are discredited you could, ultimately attain high office!angry

rgds

Bill

29/03/2020 10:49:04

Will people NEVER learn? Newspapers are NOT purveyors of FACTS - particularly when they can make unsubstantiated claims/rumours to excite their gullible 'readers'.The old saw 'never believe anything you read and only half of what you see', is more appropriate than ever in global communication. Reprinting this rubbish is doing nobody any favours, including the contributor!

pgk pgk has it right!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Videos
29/03/2020 10:26:59

Paul and Jason, thank you. Feeling somewhat embarrassed to ask, but where is the FAQ section? I used both search boxes but no results.

rgds

Bill

28/03/2020 21:40:50

Probably one for Neil or Jason - How does one upload videos to the forum. please?

rgds

Bill

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
28/03/2020 21:21:23

Neil - your Gt Grandad's Oxfordshire dialect would not have been out of place in my Grandad's Herefordshire village. The 'rubub etc.' etc. conjures up instant recollections of a genuine 'cottage garden' with a 3 hole privy, apple, pear and medlar trees and an old enamel bucket with the bottom missing inverted round the 'forced rubub'. Nostalgia!!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Coronavirus
28/03/2020 10:09:48

Obviously different usage but my wrist watch remains permanently on GMT. I set it to the pips about 10 years ago and haven't altered anything since - currently about 10 secs fast and varies slightly day-to-day. It's a Citizen Eco-Drive so never needs a battery change. At my age, my 'busy' life-style finds no great difficulty in coping with the 'adjustment!

rgds

Bill

Thread: 4 Wire motor wiring
27/03/2020 10:30:41

Thanks all -

SB5 - unfortunately too close centre-to-centre to twist.

Bruce - fiddling with wiggly-amps is a 'no-no'! ... I feel that I should point out that the pic shows my TIDY work area!!!blush

MG - Pic wiring is original - I did try the 2 and 3 reversed but no difference, as Bruce pointed out, so reinstated.

Have dug out another, similar sized motor, completely without ident info but double ended drive. Is it possible to SAFELY identify/connect it to use? ... Answers in the "John and Jane look at electric motors" category, please!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Machine feet/mounts?
26/03/2020 17:41:13

I have 3 or 4 different threads to dispose of. If no hurry, I'll get the search party active and let you know threads.

rgds

Bill

Thread: 4 Wire motor wiring
26/03/2020 17:36:48

Thank you - Brian and Journeyman again - that link is ideal

rgds

Bill

26/03/2020 16:42:01

Keith, Journeyman, Roger, Bruce - Thank you all. The no-reverse would seem to be the most likely. My wiggly-amps skill is best restricted to rewiring plugs. so I think I'll leave well alone! Mechanical options are possible, so I'll have a ponder.

Again thanks

rgds

Bill

26/03/2020 15:29:11

Recently bought this miniature sensitive drill and fitted the 'Universal' sewing machine motor to power it. img_0071a.jpg

Works OK apart from motor rotation. I would like to reverse the present setup. The connection is 4 pin and I (wrongly) assumed that swapping pins 2 and 3 would do the necessary

img_0070a.jpg

img_0073a.jpg

Can anyone suggest a. if it is possible to reverse the rotation and b. if it is , how to reconnect, please?

TIA

rgds

Bill

26/03/2020 11:49:24

Raphael Val Golez 1 -

Bravo, Bravo sir! Well done both for your commitment to your profession and your impeccable commitment to the sensible guidelines recommended to us. It cannot have been easy and that you stuck with it and returned to work has value much greater than the actions themselves.

You are a credit to your profession and a lesson to the rest of us!

Very best regards

Bill

Thread: Whats App...'Hoax' warning
25/03/2020 12:27:05

I'm sure the OP meant well but have we really not taken on board that the internet is anonymous and a breeding ground for stupidity? Does anyone think it wise to spread any 'chain letter' type rubbish without FULLY authenticating it!

I'm sure Mr Berners-Lee had higher hopes for his brain-child!

rgds

Bill

25/03/2020 12:11:24

"What do the insurance people have to say about that ?

Probably little of use and undoubtedly slanted to protect themselves.

An echo from the 1600s "It's a mad world , my masters"!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Websites for the Bored
25/03/2020 11:37:24

I have become 'hooked' on a number of boat building/repair/restore sites ...'Acorn to Arabella', 'Tally Ho - the Sampson Boat Co.' and, probably the most extensive - 'SV Seeker'. A mix of skills, not just metal working, and some fascinating machinery and techniques.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Do your bit and help each other
23/03/2020 14:11:32

Mike Woods1 - Government Property toilet paper was standard issue for the Services. It had qualities unlke any other and would have easily substituted for 600 grit sandpaper. One of the peculiarities was that each sheet contained a small printed square in one corner. Crew room chat pondered on this for a while until one wag suggested that it was included so that Civil Servants could use it to put a tick mark to indicate it had been used!!

The non-Government version was Izal - similar quality!

The particular advantage of using newsprint is that it is serving its most appropriate function!

rgds

Bill

Thread: ventilator production coronavirus
23/03/2020 12:19:45

Apart from the need for extra ventilators, there is a constant and just as essential need for PPE for the front line staff. The present issue, in a number of cases, is demonstrably insufficient - particularly face masks. Maybe someone has considered the following, but I haven't seen it mentioned. ...

Scattered around UK airports are large (and increasing) numbers of out-of-service airliners. Each one has at least 2 HERO quick-don oxygen masks, plus further similar for the cabins, They are regularly serviced and should be easily disinfected, if required. I would think it would be very quick and relatively simple to 'harvest' well over a thousand such initially, with more and more becoming available (unfortunately), Additionally oxygen facilities may well be suitable for removal and use. The airliners would not be held up for eventual return to service because of the other required servicing constraints Thoughts?

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest