By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Slight repair required
21/12/2019 09:41:32

With over 3000 hours helo time on a wide variety of such, I would have found some excuse to avoid the Piasecki 'Flying Banana' even in pristine condition - that particular piece of (possibly) mag alloy would best be left 'as is' as a warning!!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Scam alert
21/12/2019 09:23:29

Maybe I have misread/misunderstood some of the responses on this thread, but it appears that a phone call is answered and the unconfirmed ID caller instructs the recipient to "press 1" ... and they do just that!!! Am I misreading something here?

Extremely concerned!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Bandsaw woes.
19/12/2019 09:32:10

Robin - I have that same model from the same supplier. I would rate the chances of obtaining a 'straight' cut (in anything) as close to zero. In fact my particukar machine was sold at a discount as being "incapable of adjustment to correct cut by our engineers"! I occasionally manage a vague vertical but there's never going to be a 'no-fettling required' result. It is, therefore a muscle saver for crude approximations only - matches my skill level!

I wish you well with your endeavours and will follow closely

rgds

Bill

Thread: Wobbly Kitchenaid Mixer
16/12/2019 17:48:51

Loctite certainly does go on and on - mine bought part used over 20 years ago, still working. Keep Super glue in the refrigerator.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Hi from darkest Norfolk
08/12/2019 21:50:10

Welcome from NR12.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Calling all Stirling Engine enthusiasts
04/12/2019 17:40:31

Gray - one from Professor Senft, maybe?

rgds

Bill

Thread: Classified adds
03/12/2019 21:02:01

Clive - may i make a simple request ... if you gat a reply from any ads you place could you acknowledge them, please? It appears, nowadays that this particular courtesy is being ignored!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Greetings from Edinburgh and advice about Unimat Model 3 Lathe needed
03/12/2019 13:53:35

Thought 1 - overpriced!

Thought 2 - when purchased, it surely must have had the basic chucks and tooling , so these have been stripped out for extra profit .no

Thought 3 - you may well be a 'natural' machine user - I wasn't 'm not! Damage done during the learning process will nag you when you become proficient.

Thought 4 - If possible, find a local ME club and join. Get all the advice you can and, you could well find a useful 'starter machine' for sale within the membership.

Thought 5 - My 'contributions seem to be negative ... only so because a bad move now could sour your enthusiasm and that would be a shame.

Keep asking - the answers may well be unwelcome but they are well intended!

rgds

Bill

Just a PS re. the Cowells - the listing doesn't specify whether it is a 14 x 1.5 or a 14 x 1mm nose thread. For accessory availability that is important!

B

Edited By Cornish Jack on 03/12/2019 13:57:03

03/12/2019 09:06:59

Hmmm - in principle, it would suit some of your wants - (owned and used one for over 20 years and have 2 plus at present) HOWEVER, there appears to be a bidding war on that one and, for what's there, the price (at the moment) is excessive - No milling support or head or accessories. Unimat 3s are nice little machines as combined mill units but not terribly special as 'stand-alones'. I have a Cowells, Pultra and Taig/Peatol for comparison. The Taig has (in my opinion) advantages but if a Cowells was out of the question, I would look at the Sherline as next option.

As to skill progression, yes, the U3 (or similar) will introduce you to metal-working basics but techniques don't (for me) read across to my ML7. Lack of rigidity and limiting cut depth mean extended working time but may not be a factor for you.

Any further questions, feel free - on here or PM

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
27/11/2019 19:10:38

Sad news

No doubt Ian SC will be aware. **LINK**

rgds

Bill

Thread: ML7 Countershaft
25/11/2019 13:55:54

Mike - 19.00mm or, more likely 3/4" in old money. The uncertainty is because I have a clutch unit and the only measurable bit is a sliver on the outboard end. HTH

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 25/11/2019 13:58:21

Thread: This weeks offer at Lidl
25/11/2019 09:34:50

I assume that there will be a number of members who own Lidl battery powered tools. I have several, including those with the 'triangular' battery pack. Replacement battery packs and chargers have been on offer recently so I bought a 4AH battery and a 2 AH battery and charger pack. They are incompatible with the previous versions! The problem is size - the new versions are nearly 0.5mm too large 'across the corners'. I've managed to get the 4 AH battery to fit in a screwdriver by loosening the body screws but the combined pack charger will not accept the old battery. Very much caveat emptor!!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Ml7 New Owner.
24/11/2019 17:50:33

As Howard points out, the faceplate gives you considerable increase in swing. Re. speed control. I cannot recommend too highly fitting a VFD/3hase motor combo. Transforms speed control (even pn my TriLeva)

rgds

Bill

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
22/11/2019 21:46:05

Not today but yesterday - JUST in time for intended recipient's arrival! Intended as a memento of a 'mature' first solo and the aircraft plus the Naca 43012 aerofoil which supported him! He was very surprised and seemed pleased. Yes, that is intended to be a 'Black Box'! The whole thing just developed from a quite different original idea and generated more problems than almost anything I've done previously!

All construction materials from offcuts/ scraps/Os&Ssetc. No skill or ability for engraving, so made a waterslide transfer for the plaque.

img_0412a.jpg

img_0414b.jpg

Definitely not one to repeat!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Indoor R/C Flight & a whole lot more
10/11/2019 10:12:29

Quite extraordinary!! The last indoor I went to was in the 80s, in the big hangar at Cardington - a rather different offering! IIRC we had the first demo (for the RAFMAA) of an R/C indoor model - balsa and microfilm and rudder only. How times have changed!

Most amusing? - the 'witch', of course. Most eye-watering? - as an ex-helo man, that demented green 'thing' at the end of the clip!!

Some mind-boggling aerodynamics going on there - excessive electric power, of course, but the low speed stuff and controllability of the Antonov, ATR , Horton twin jet and the Viggen etc.would make some very interesting Perf plots!

Thank you Jason

Thread: What is it/they called?
06/11/2019 19:30:20

Thank you Bazyle - that's what I assumed originally ... except that there is NO drawbar! Also, the lack of a 'proper' centre hole at the tool end means it can't apply pressure from there. It is a fairly complex item to manufacture with the internal rod securing the cutter using the knurled portion. All very puzzling!

rgds

Bill

06/11/2019 11:15:07

Been trying to find info on the following 'milling cutter' (??) , without success. The cutter bit is held in position by a central plunger tighhtened by the knurled portion. It will only fit to cut TOWARDS the taper mount. There is a slot in the knurled portion to allow a pin to be drifted out to split the shaft. The taper is friction fit only, so cannot provide cutting pressure for the blade. there is a hole at the cutter end but not suitable for a centre. Approximately halfway between the knurled portion and the cutter there is a groove which is fitted with a spring ring. All in all, a total mystery! suggestions would be very welcome!!

img_0060a1.jpg

img_0060a.jpg

img_0062a.jpg

rgds

Bill

Thread: Polishing Acetal/Delrin and other plastics
01/11/2019 20:59:20

Final gloss finish using Jeweller's rouge, perhaps? or, for cheapskates like me , toothpaste. Won't do for anything other than the very fine stage. Use to use it for watch glasses.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Heartbroken!
01/11/2019 11:08:07

Trevor - presumably yours, like mine, are only suitable for 4 flute taps?

rgds

Bill

31/10/2019 17:09:34

Having just broken an 8mm tap (best quality Chinese black chocolate!), this thread offered various 'escape' options. However, from the dim recesses of my remaining brain cell, I recalled a couple of oddments from 40 or so years back - see pic below.

img_0058a.jpg

The smaller of the two was adjusted to fit and ... Bingo! . It unscrewed easy-peasy!

I cannot recall having seen these mentioned previously nor seen them advertised. Anyone else own or use one?

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest