By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
07/12/2018 14:17:54

Not exactly today, but have, at long last, finished the 'nostalgia indulgence' for the weather vane and the 'Office'. One in brass and one in aluminium. Happy days!!

img_0013a.jpg

img_0015a.jpg

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
07/12/2018 11:30:05

An interesting read for the tech input. Unfortunately, the main problem was 'the holes in the cheese lined up'. The take-off had been made as a 'towering slow back up' which put it in an unrecoverable position for a tail rotor failure. The loss of T/R authority is quite manageable in low/medium power forward flight, if necessary going the autorotation route, but the Leicester scenario was never going to be recoverable.

Actual incident some years ago - Whirlwind 10 inbound from training to Valley.

Instructor -" Bloggs, get the ^&%* ball in the middle"

Stude - "I'm trying, Sir!"

Instructor - "Yes, I know you are but get the ball in the middle."

Stude - "I've got full pedal on , Sir and it's still slippingt!"

Instructor - "Ah, yes Bloggs, so I see. I have control, stand by for auto!"

Autorotation was duly completed into a nearby farmyard, which was noted (too late) as being well covered in slurry! Pulling in collective generated some 'interesting' gyrations!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Hi from Nelsons County
02/12/2018 19:42:34

Andrew, Pat - me too! ... an import, of course. Bacton Green (that's the other bit of Bacton-on-Seacheeky) Lots of kit but little activitysad

rgds

Bill

Thread: Engineering magazine
02/12/2018 12:15:44

One of the pre-flight 'walk-arround' checks on the 747 (and Tristar) was to confirm that there was" at least ** inches of the 'fescalised' portion of the oleo visible". Obviously, I know what is referred to, but it was years before I discovered the derivation of the term. It was either the Firm's name or the process which they applied. The only source for this was a Centenary issue of the 'Engineering' magazine and a batch of advert copies from the 30s/40s. My copy was trashed with the house and much else from my library. Does anyone have a copy of that magazine, or a normal issue from that period which carries that advert? If so, would it be possible to obtain a copy?

The derivation query comes up at regular intervals and it would be nice to have 'chapter and verse'

TIA

rgds

Bill

PS - I am aware of the supposed derivation from the rather esoteric culinary habits of the Greeks so would prefer to avoid any further reference to that, thank you!!

Edited By Cornish Jack on 02/12/2018 12:18:51

30/11/2018 16:41:40

The much-missed, late Sir John summed it up nicely in describing the effect on the expressions of those viewing her work at the MEX. The change from the happy expectant faces of those going up the stairs, to the realisation of those coming down that their best efforts wouldn't match up, summed up the quality they had just seen. The thing I find most remarkable is that I can see a photograph of one of her masterpieces and recognise her 'authorship' with no further clues! Truly amazing!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Windows 10 again
30/11/2018 16:20:49

If you are thinking of a 'new' machine, (i.e. refurbished) ask the seller to install W7 64 bit Professional. No compatabilitry problems and as much RAM as you want. My latest will be such, with 16 Gb RAM - ,,, sitting on the desk, waiting for me to obtain a circular tuit!!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Todays Mystery Objects?
27/11/2018 22:15:25

John - possible but , there are some relatively pointy, damage inducing shapes there. I think I'd be happier having them on (e.g) tents (non moving) than helos. Not come across anything similar in 14 years S&R, helo Support or test flying.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Anyone bought a new Myford
27/11/2018 14:07:38

"Out of the 2, the ML7 was better because of a Trilever attachment I fitted to it. In my opinion, the best speed change facility on a lathe Ive ever seen,"

+1 for that, and of course, the ability to use it as a spindle lock

rgds

Bill

Thread: Todays Mystery Objects?
27/11/2018 14:00:20

John P and Robert A - not for any helo i operated on!! Release from helos has, almost by definition, to be pilot/crew controlled. From experience, even that constraint can lead to problems!! Many years ago, a headache-making net of sand-filled ammo boxes arrived unintended and unannounced on what is now one of HM Prisons. In context, perhaps, the underslung load hooks were manufactured by ... Hobbies of Dereham!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Allendale Group - Black Friday Sale
23/11/2018 17:58:12

Duncan, John and Dave, many thanks.

Your replies have sorted out the Yes/No decision - the Mag/Optical decision has firmed up to Mag, unless someone with real world experience advises strongly against. Now I've got to behave myself for a month!!

rgds

Bill

23/11/2018 15:49:36

Thank you for the quick reply, Brian.

Which type of encoder, please - Magnetic or Optical ? Any reasons for choice?

rgds

Bill

23/11/2018 14:27:49

DRO possibilities for a 'Sanity Clause' pressie to self ... but, which type??? Optical or Magnetic? Fitment would be to a D-W mill. Limited research suggests Magnetic - can anyone with experience or expertise advise, please?

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
21/11/2018 17:05:06

"Vincents only rip in straight lines (according to my Dad, who should know..."

My (long-since) late Dad would have agreed!!

He overslept one morning and missed the only bus - once-a-day country-style service. The mechanic in the garage opposite noticed the problem and offered to provide a 'catch-up' service ... with his Black Shadow!! Dad duly embarked on the pillion and (clutching his trilby tightly) set off in pursuit! About 2 miles was sufficient (in both senses!) Bearing in mind Dad's military background , India, fighting up through Italy etc., his view of the experience was gratitude that it was so short!!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Another what is it
17/11/2018 21:21:34

Thank you, Tim. It does, however, mean that it requires tail stock running centre support to prevent the taper being extracted ?

rgds

Bill

17/11/2018 19:18:01

One more for the experts. Recently bought these 'cos they are MT2 driven (for the Myford) The seller didn't know what they were for - and neither do I!!!blush Back spot facing large diameters, perhaps? Any thoughts, please, anyone?

wotsit1.jpg

rgds

Bill

09/11/2018 23:55:26

Trevor Crossman1 - Bevs - when and where?? Self, 58 - 61, 'Dirty 30' at Dishforth and 53 at Abingdon. PM if appropriate.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Dial Gauge Advice
31/10/2018 17:21:54

Mick B1 - quite so. I have two such items - one on a 3MT arbour with an adjustable cross-slide, tailor boxed , by Pratt and Whitney and another on a 2 morse. If I was more competent and did more in the shed, they would probably be used more!

rgds

Bill

Thread: ML7 clutch repair/overhaul
11/10/2018 17:13:17

Just an update. Mark's tip was very timely - don't know quite what adjustment I made on the lever arm screw(but it was fairly minor) and all now appears to be working. A little tip for anyone else having to do this - the small operating rod from the centre to the swing arm is not attached at either end!! Obviously, the workshop gremlins have a Bank Holiday today, as when I discovered this, it didn't drop out and roll away into the swarf but jammed more or less in position! laugh Much 'Happy Bear-ness' in the CJ shed!!

rgds

Bill

10/10/2018 23:12:50

Many thanks, Mark. The Raleigh Runabout tip could be very useful - still available on Ebay. Haven't tried the adjuster screw yet but will tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

rgds

Bill

10/10/2018 19:58:24

Swarf, Mostly - thank you for the reply. It's the ML7 - Tri-Leva version ... which is handy, as I can use the speed change levers as temporary clutches!

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest