By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How Britain Worked
21/10/2012 22:14:14

I have been subjected to the unremitting 'trails' for this series and it appears that the presenter is Guy Martin. Nice chap, no doubt but I'm afraid that he should stick to what he's good at - Racing motor-bikes at insane speeds and angles ... TV presenter ??? No, No, No.

Rgds

Bill

Thread: The Greatest Mechanical invention
21/10/2012 22:01:34

Michael Williams - Your Nav tale brings back memories of my Valetta conversion course back in the 50s. One of the course exercises was a night Navex around the North Sea. Navigator's charts and logs were handed in for inspection after flight and marked for accuracy/activity etc. One chap produced an immaculate track plot which showed remarkable accuracy all the way round with the major plots coming from 'running fixes' on an MF radio beacon (I even remember the callsign - MQI!!). The oddity about this beacon was that it was (according to the Nav's plot, in the MIDDLE of the N Sea!. Further investigation revealed that it didn't exist and that all the fixes were 'back-plotted' i.e. drawn in to 'agree' with where he should have been. This was ultimately ascribed to hypoxia - 8000', not on oxygen ... hmm!

Said Nav aquired the nick-name'Mike Queenie Item' and was posted to El Adem as ...Station Navigation Officer!!! The ways of Auntie Betty's Flying Club are, indeed, weird and wonderfulwink

Rgds

Bill

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
21/10/2012 21:41:36

JS - that 'smoke-screen' device was rather impressive!!! Bet the stall-holder behind it enjoyed it as well. Not a mo'bike nut personally (Excelsior 150, Honda 75 and 90) so don't know much about the Jones - TT machine, presumably?

Rgds

Bill

Thread: Self adulation
19/10/2012 13:36:08

IF I misunderstood what was written, then an apology is due and unequivocally offered. However, given this quote ...

"Actually it's worse than that. If I get a TV with the intent of watching everything else that is broadcast OTHER than by BBC, I STILL have to pay the license fee that supports the BBC.(my editing) That is like having to pay a sub to EIM just so I can read (and pay for) MEW." ...

I have considerable difficulty in translating that into other than a rant at the licence fee. Maybe, in addition to a spoil chickenwinkthe forum needs a device to generate "What the general really meant to say was ..."

Rgds (and no further input)

Bill

19/10/2012 11:41:01

I note that Mr Jeffree propagates the same nonsense that many others do - viz. one pays for the Beeb but the commercial channels are "FREE"

What a terrible load of tosh - it may have passed his notice that what passes for independent programming is CONSTANTLY interrupted by prolonged repetitive rubbish attempting to inveigle the watcher to purchase yet more unnecessary 'things' or 'goods'!!

Perhaps he would care to enlighten us as to how he believes this invasive claptrap is financed??? One might hazard a guess that the various advertisers extract the cost FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS via the purchase price. Could, of course, be that the generous and open-hearted owners, directors, shareholders, whatever, pay for them out of their own pockets! Which, do you feel, is the likeliest option? Still, Beeb-bashing is a jolly good sport and one shouldn't let the facts get in the way of a populist rant.

Ther IS a choice as regards paying the licence fee - if it offends you, don't watch TV. Heaven knows there are enough intelligent alternatives available nowadays. If, however, you consider value against 'goods' received, just one season of the Proms does it quite nicely for me, thank you.

Rgds

Bill

18/10/2012 17:31:22

Just an interesting follow-up in respect of 'cheque book model engineering' - Full set of Myford 7 collets just sold on Ebay for ... £322.00!!!!!!!! NOT a misprint. Product of a bidding war, no doubt, but I would think that they were somewhat cheaper when new!!

Am I jealous?? ... you're bxxxxy right, I am

Rgds

Bill

18/10/2012 11:33:10

Bazyle - read through that correspondence just a couple of nights ago. Similar sort of furore and (I can't be bothered to buy a ME to check!) probably just about as relevant.

This is a HOBBY! ... just like Golf, Cart racing, Gliding etc., etc. Vast variations in costs involved - check parental input to the various teenage passions - horse riding et al. Likelihood of a continuing interest in ME by subject youth?? ... who knows and, frankly, who cares, other than those directly involved.

The young Appleyard(??) mentioned by Bazyle hasn't (as far as I know) featured heavily in the hobby recently so maybe yet another passing enthusiasm? Each to his/her own and "lots of dosh does not an engineer make" to paraphrase someone or other!!cheeky

Rgds

Bill

Thread: Switch for Myford ML7
08/10/2012 12:09:11

NJH -

Norman, totally OT, but where exactly do you do your workshop activities??? Obviously not in that demonstration hall in your photo - or is that your dining room ( eating off the floor, of course!!!)winkcheeky I was teetering on the edge of taking an (out of focus) piccy of my shambles for another current thread but I'm not sure that I shall ever venture into it again. Such exquisite squeaky cleanliness is very disheartening to we mortals!crying 2

Rgds

Bill

Thread: Milling internal rectangles?
02/10/2012 11:02:23

Ian and Jason, thank you.

Re. Rappahannock, I've been in contact with them and purchased some replacement bits - excellent service. Unfortunately there is a dearth of build info on this engine but your pointer to HH's Stuart guide is most welcome - hope it will explain, if nothing else, just WHY this valve thingy is shaped like Tobleronequestion

Rgds

Bill

01/10/2012 11:30:15

Trevor - thank you for your suggestion. As I understand it, it appears to be similar to Michael's corner drilling (for which, also thank you). If I ever manage to find out what the fitting requirements for this valve are - i.e. sliding, surface contact, interference etc., I will give it a whirl. The engine is intended to be a twin vertical cylinder and there are TWO steam chests. However the plan sheet specifies only ONE of the 'Toblerone' shaped valves. Being a 'bear of little brain' this leaves me much confused (state normal!) The probable moral of this tale is - don't buy part (badly) machined casting sets for items which have no web access references. The only info I've found on the web for this engine are a couple of small pics - not a lot of help.

Onward and, probably. downward to the rubbish bin!sad

Rgds

Bill

30/09/2012 21:52:52

Thank you Jason - caveat noted, so preferred option No1 is no good!

Neil - that sounds encouraging ... do you know of a suitable primer (on line) which explains the principles of steam valve operation?

NJH - you, Sir, are a man of impeccable judgement and to be heartily commended for your pragmatismthumbs upwink 2

Rgds

Bill

30/09/2012 17:39:27

Many thanks gentlemen. Lots of food for thought there. I like Bruce's suggestion - 'cos i was thinking along those lines already ... maybe a couple of pieces of gauge plate, hardened?

Michael - Ah, yes embarrassedI actually have a die filer but haven't yet ventured into using it!!!

Jason and John ... More blushes!! The answer is ... I don't know!!embarrassed I haven't built one of these previously and the plans are simply individual components with dimensions. I'm not at all sure how the bits fit together, leastways the 'internal' ones. I'm just making holes and swarf one bit at a time, to end up with a 'kit of parts'. It's good machining practice but not likely to end up as a thing of beauty - or, necessarily, functional! I have managed to 'lose' what I assumed was the valve casting (sort of bronze 'Toblerone' type thing) - presumably that shape is significant but I cannot see whydont know

If I manage to generate the required shapes and fit them together, I'll post piccies (suitably out of focus!)

Rgds

Bill

30/09/2012 14:27:35

G'day all.

Latest swarf making exercise is a Tiny Power Vertical Twin. Among the various bits still to do are the steam chests/valves. These appear to require internal rectangles produced from the rough casting cores. Can't see any obvious way of generating accurate cut-outs with rectangular corners in the mill. My milling cutters will all leave rounded corners (obviously!), even the smallest. Filing would, perhaps, be an option were it not for the fact that my results would be rubbish, Any pointers, p;lease?

Rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
25/09/2012 14:44:27

Ian S C -

My very first flight!! 26/4/54 - T/O 1900hrs, Landed 2205hrs, ANSON 'N', Pilot - Master Pilot Landsman (Czeck or Polish ex WW2), gentle aerial amble around E Anglia from Swanton Morley. Beautiful clear skies, surrounded by the clatter of a pair of 'Cheetahs' and the combined odours of leather, hydraulic oil, Avgas,yes Elsan fluid and old vomit!!!no Thought it was absolutely marvellous and continued flying and being involved with aircraft for close to 50 years! Nostalgia rules OK!

Thread: 3 Phase invertors for a Myford ML7
24/09/2012 14:51:21

Andrew - perhaps not technically helpful, but I have an ML7 (Trileva) and recently replaced the knackered single phase with a new 3 phase. Control provided by a secondhand Omron V7 inverter/controller. This was all connected, ready to go and just left me to (cautiously!!) rewire from delta to star (?) and plug it in. Result? ... superb! Soft start, easy speed control in any of the three belt selections (plus 3 backgear, if needed) - almost makes the clutch redundant. Highly recommended.

Rgds

Bill

Thread: Machining graphite?
13/09/2012 16:18:42

Hansrudolph - bought both rod and block on Ebay but they were 'one-offs'. I found them with a google search for graphite rod but a subsequent search came up zilch!! The rod is about 10 - 12 cms long and approx 20mm diam and cost 6 GBP. The block is approx 800 x 800 x 40 mm and cost 16 GBP. Don't have any comparative prices to judge whether those are good or bad pricesdont know

Rgds

Bill

13/09/2012 11:05:17

John, thank you - beautifully explained, as ever. Point well taken and will go that route when I get started.

Rgds

Bill

12/09/2012 14:23:20

Thank you, chaps, for most useful advice.

I particularly like John's newspaper 'filing' idea!! Just to follow that up, wouldn't the same caveat apply to the finished piston made thus, if the cylinder bore was in my usual 'badger's backside' finish?? I don't think I could improve on the 'as bought' finish on the rod which was why I thought that there might be some mileage in only having to generate an accurate bore - perhaps get some lapping practice in!!

Rgds

Bill

11/09/2012 21:37:32

G'day all.

One of my round 'tuits' is an own design hot air engine. In preparation, I bought some graphite rod. Haven't machined this stuff previously and would appreciate any advice re. the process. The rod diameter would, in fact, serve quite well, as is, for a piston or several and I'm wondering whether a better option would be to leave the graphite unmachined and bore the cylinders to suit?

Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.

TIA

Rgds

Bill

Thread: home made lathes and milling machines
03/09/2012 10:44:53

Ian

I have a part-built Len Mason design lathe which would be a reasonably good basis for the complete machine. Made from gauge plate and bar with Phos Bronze headstock bearimgs. I have the cross slide more or less finished and a reasonable attempt at the lead screw. It has been sitting around for over 20 years and has gathered a 'patina' of surface rust!!wink. I think that I have some bits of gauge plate lying around somewhere as well. Machining was completed in the, then, local Tech school workshops. Didn't complete it due to change of domestic circumstances and purchase of a Unimat 3.

PM me if interested.

Rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest