By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Deleting adverts
23/02/2011 16:31:42
I queried this a while back and DC1 kindly explained how it was done. Have just tried to find the 'My Adverts' input on my account and it doesn't appear. (apparently this is how adverts are removed) Help, please, DC1 or anyone?
- item has been sold (elsewhere)
Rgds
Bill
Thread: Castings problem remedial advice, please
20/02/2011 11:39:57
Many thanks, Ramon.
Very explicit and (I hope) within my capabilities. I shall give it a try and let you know what results. To paraphrase Capt Oates - I may be gone for a while!! Not the fastest of machinists - by a large country mile.
Again thanks to all
Rgds
Bill
19/02/2011 19:27:38
Terry, Jason and Ramon, thank you again.
As a dyed-in-the-wool member of the 'close enough for Government work' school, there would appear to be a few possibilities there. Re. Ramon's bell collet, I have checked both castings against the smallest (ID) Myford collet I have and they pull in nicely with about a quarter inch proud of the bottom of the trunk guide. Still wouldn't give me a universal reference but might be a starting point?
In the middle of cooking a nice looking piece of sirloin at the moment so will tend to the inner man and see what a night's sleep will produce.
Rgds
Bill
PS Ramon - unfortunately the top of the standards hasn't been turned on its circumference, only across the width
B

19/02/2011 17:29:26
Thank you Terry and Jason.
Terry - The rough measurements for the two standards are as follows :-
No 1 -Foot1, LHside 3.7, RHside4.0: Foot 2, 3.6 and 3.8
Diameter at top of trunk guide 17.7 and 17.9 and bottom 17.6
Flange thickness 5.3 one side 5.6 diametrically opposite.
No2 Foot1LH 4.5/4.3, RH4.4/4.5
T guide Diam top 17.9, bottom 17.7
F thickness 5.3/5.6
Plan requires ......%£*!!^£ Imperial!!!
Trunk guide bore approx 17.5!!
Flange thickness approx 2.5
The problem with all these measurements is that they are taken with one anvil on a ROUGH casting surface so not very exact.
Jason, I understand the principle but it's back to the original problem of not having a reference surface to clamp to.
I have, so far 'flatted' the bottom of the feet and the top surface of the flange on some W&D laid on a large mag chuck. Would it make sense to lay some ground flat stock (bar/strip) across the flange and the bottom of the feet and caliper their separation to give some measure of the out of true of the surfaces? Not sure how that would help but the mental processes are not at their best
Rgds
Bill
19/02/2011 13:55:45
Apologies to all for not acknowledging your most informative suggestions earlier but I hadn't realised the thread had gone on beyond my last post on the 12th!!
Thank you all but there are more problems (aren't there always?) to whit - in addition to the standards having been 'bodge' bored, they have been bored taper and both top and bottom have been 'cleaned up'. Result is NO reliable reference surface The tops are different thicknesses, the feet are, similarly, variable and I can't think of any way I can hold them to rectify matters. If I clamp the feet to a faceplate it won't be vertical nor would it be if clamped by the top. Trying to shim to verticality would require at least one accurate reference surface and my poor little brain can't see how it can be done. The exterior is, of course rough casting so doesn't offer anything useful.
ANY suggestions gratefully received.
Rgds
Bill

12/02/2011 11:31:25
Ramon and Jason
Thank you for your suggestions - Loctite would seem to be the way to go then.
Jason - my correspondence with Ronnie Baird at Tiny Power indicated that the castings were bronze. Is GM substantially different?
Rgds
Bill

11/02/2011 21:33:55
I recently purchased a set of castings for a Tiny Power twin. The previous owner had started to machine them and has made a bit of a bodge of it. The standards have been drilled (bored?) but off-centre, such that the 'skirt' of the trunk guide has been reduced to approx. 0.060ins on one side and 0.120-0.130 on the diametrically opposite bit.
Question is - would it make sense( be possible) to sleeve the whole thing with a piece of brass tube Araldite'd into place and then mill this out to match the original side openings?
Alternatively, would it be asking for trouble to leave dimensions as is and accept that it is asymmetrically set up? ... both standards have been machined to similar dimensions and would match in offsets when mounted to the base plate.
Final alternative - order a new set of standards
TIA
Bill
Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
27/01/2011 11:12:09
MW and Ramon - re. Indoor Flying. we had a couple of enthusiasts in the Brize Club when I was Secretary and I was 'encouraged' to have a go ... Total Disaster!! my efforts were weighable in ozs not grams and resolutely refused to fly. I was finally convinced that this was not 'my game' when we invited ??? Parham to give a Club talk and demo. He had a number of demo models one of which he wound and launched at the start of his talk and nearly an hour later it was still circling at ceiling height with the prop revs easily countable!!
Fantastic!!
On topic re. aircraft generally, does anyone know of any organisation which would be happy to receive a number of Tech and Perf manuals for Tristar and 747 (Classic and 400). They were kept for possible consultancy work after retirement but that's not going to happen now!! They are mainly A4 size and. as a job lot, heavy, so not easy to move. I specify organisation rather than individual because of the possible security implications. I'm based in Norfolk, which, perhaps, adds to the logistical problems. Any suggestions, anyone, please?
Rgds
Thread: Stringer EW lathe
14/01/2011 14:34:37
Tony
Yes, I would think that they will handle most anything within their centre height capacity. They are, indeed, well made. Back gear and self act as standard are helpful. I haven't done a great deal with mine as the main machine is a TriLeva 7b.
To consider the opposing view, as is often pointed out, it is possible to machine small components on a large machine  but difficult, if not impossible, to machine large components on a small machine. As ever, 'horses for courses'.
Rgds
Bill

14/01/2011 12:12:11
Tony
Cowells lathes ? ... little gems! I have two (don't ask!!) They are excellently designed and manufactured BUT (the BIG but) costly. Don't come up for sale very often and tend to go for considerable sums. Needless to say, the accessories are similarly priced. Should you go that route (can recommend it, if cash allows) look for the later models with the 14x1 nose thread instead of the original 14x1.5. That way, it is possible to use compatible Unimat threaded items. It is also possible to purchase a replacement headstock spindle to do the same thing.
No involvement with Cowells other than as a minor buyer of bits a couple of times.
Rgds
Bill
Thread: A bi-metallic balance wheel
10/01/2011 11:50:47
Sam
No sort of expert on this, but would the RELEVANT dimension change be the diametrical distance change between circumferential weights? If the whole balance wheel is expanding/contracting I would have thought the gap change would be minimal.
Rgds
Bill
Thread: Tiny Power 2V-10
07/01/2011 12:14:20
Thank you, Jason.
Yes, I had a look at their site initially and it seems likely that the castings ARE for the 2V-10.
I've just received a very fast response from Ronnie at Rappahannock Boats with a parts list for comparison and that they stock plans and parts for all their products - prices appear very reasonable. I have sent a further message to them for final confirmation and will, almost certainly, be ordering the plans.
Could keep me out of mischief for quite a while!
Rgds
Bill
06/01/2011 18:00:36
HNY to all.
I have recently purchased a set of castings which I believe may be for the Tiny Power 2V-10. If so, the set is produced by the Rappahannock Boat Works in the U.S. The seller had no information to offer and no accompanying plans. Does anyone have any experience of, or information about, this company or its products, please?
I have emailed them for more info and have found a site which has a photo of the completed engine but no build details.
Any relevant information would be much appreciated.
TIA
Rgds
Bill
Thread: Spiralux Drill Grinding Attachment
05/01/2011 12:14:32
Slightly OT, I have a Miller Falls device which I assume was intended for drill (and mill cutter??) sharpening. I have no instructions for it and have not yet tried to use it. It is rather more complex and 'engineered' than the Spiralux et al. Does any body have any experience of this model or suggestions for operation, please? ... Have tried the Miller Falls site, but nothing mentioned there
Rgds
Thread: Twin Oscillator build book?
03/01/2011 15:50:40
Thank you, David. Found it and done and dusted. HNY
03/01/2011 11:47:00
Probably directed to DC1 -
Some months ago there was a 'puff'  for a new construction book on a twin oscillator. apparently just completed by our esteemed editor. I have the castings and immediately attempted to buy same on line. Could not complete purchase and soon after DC1 indicated that there was a delay with publication. Since then, nothing!! (or, at least, I haven't seen anything).
Any updates, please, David?
Rgds
Thread: Myford puzzle?
27/12/2010 17:19:36
Thank you one and all.
I wouldn't consider using a die to produce a thread of this diameter. The query was just why such a ubiquitous machine would not have a REASONABLY priced tap and die set for thread FINISHING purposes. Thread chasing is obviously the way to go, as JS et al have said. 
Season's greetings and a warm workshop to all for 2011
Rgds

27/12/2010 14:36:35
Well, it is to me.
There must be a great many Myfords in use and the various accessories are pretty numerous also but I have not, so far, come across a reasonably priced source of Myford nose thread dies. Even taps are not much in evidence. The only die I have thus far discovered was priced at an eye-watering £GBP156.00!!!! and that was just an hexagonal job - not the adjustable sort. I managed to get a tap at a reasonable price but no dies. Anyone know anything different or does one just rely on getting a good finish from thread cutting?
Rgds
Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
27/12/2010 14:24:43
Ramon
Re. the mass airdrop - no, not '63 (I was suffering the hardships of a bachelor's life in Bangkok, at that time!!) 'the one I referred to was a few years earlier in '59. Same sort of deal and same routing to get there. We were lead Bev for the drop with the Hastings ahead of us and I have a VIVID mental picture of the last Hastings 'losing it' on the run-in. He must have got into the one ahead's slipstream and there wasn't much control leeway when you were configured for the drop. The paras must have been 'stood up' by then so they probably had an interesting few moments, as well !!
Your mate's name doesn't ring any bells but the S&R world was quite well spread out and I spent six of the fourteen helo'  years instructing.
Most definitely an age thing- sorry, what was I saying?
Rgds
Bill
25/12/2010 20:49:18
Hastings, Beverleys??? Para dispatching in the first, crewing on the second, still have post quad Centaurus deafness and memories of pumping top-up oil at 8000' plus en route!!! The mass of Bevs at Nicosia was part of a big para exercise with similar numbers of Hastings and gave (for me) the unique experience of calling downwind to be given "No. 14, call Finals"!! It was also the occasion of the 'getaway' Bev which jumped the towbar with no-one on the brakes and savaged one of its brethren further down the taxy track!
While I can understand the general enthusiasm for some of the more eye-popping aviation antics, having for a number of years operated S&R helos, I have had to recover the less amusing results of those who got it wrong - and the majority, even the best, do, eventually
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest