By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars
12/07/2019 11:46:39

As I understand it, one function of petrol powered car catalytic exhausts is pollution reduction - BUT to be effective, they need to be at working temperature. Diesels, on the other hand, operate at a similar level throughout. The majority of car journeys are short distance, shopping etc. For me, the Q.E.D is obvious but not to our 'Leaders', indeed it's not ever mentioned in the various discussions. Thoughts??

rgds

Bill

Thread: DA collets
11/07/2019 16:20:23

Phil - very impressive. The sort of thing I would like to do but age and incompetence rule against!. My query was a roundabout way of finding out if a sale item would be suitable for an existing collet holder.

rgds

Bill

10/07/2019 21:19:31

Thank you Jason and Emgee - " if your collets are close to these dimensions should be OK, " ,,, that's what I was after; Yet another raid on the piggy bank!

rgds

Bill

10/07/2019 18:32:20

Thank you Neil - I appreciate what you say about possible fragility but my query is actually about identification. The D1 etc. values shown on the 'net are Imperial to 3 decimal places and the items I have differ by 2 or 3 third place values. They are not marked as to type so I'm wondering if I actually have DA200s or some other type? The closeness of approximation is such as to generate a doubt but I can't find acceptable tolerances for collets and holders. Hope that makes sense - (got to be a first time for everything!!sad)

rgds

Bill

10/07/2019 11:23:12

I have some DA collets which were bought secondhand. Checking against the published dimensions I appear to have a partial saet of DA200s. The checked dimensions are CLOSE TO the published for that range, but not exact. What degree of tolerance should one expect for the D1, D2 and L values ? (I'm assuming the holding value will be to spec)

Any advice appreciated

rgds

Bill

Thread: A Chinese puzzle!
29/06/2019 18:41:28

Martin X 2 - many thanks - helpful (and reassuring) It would seem that my overly tight fit is the better bet.

Tim - I quite understand the point you make but for the price paid (including delivery from China,) I could have bought half of the materials (if I was lucky) and then produced an object no more accurate than this. I could well have paid more for the super little chuck than the whole package, so no moans from me on that score.

Hollowpoint - indeed - as noted from time to time in these threads.

rgds

Bill

29/06/2019 16:16:07

Couple of pics below of some imported components for a drill spindle. Looks to be well made and needs to be assembled. Thereby lies the problem - the tolerances are 'marginal', in that one of the bearings slotted into place with finger pressure., the other is very much an interference fit. The spindle, as is, won't accept either bearing. Not sure what the fit discrepancy is but I've had the spindle in the freezer for a week or so and still not a finger pressure fit in the bearings. I can foresee jamming problems so would greatly appreciate adfvice on best practice assembly routine for spindle to second bearing and then to housing or second bearing to housing THEN spindle through both at the same time.??? Plus any action to the remaining bearing - heating (and how). Ideas very welcome!

rgds

Bill

img_0036a.jpg

img_0035a.jpg

Thread: ABRA File or Modern equivalent ?
26/06/2019 17:18:54

Michael - the Vitrex are 9", no grade that I can see. The Abrafiles are a mix, some 8", some 9"" and the only ones I can see graded are two VERY old packs of 'Coarse'

HTH

rgds

Bill

26/06/2019 14:27:20

Update on the above post. I now have the Abrafile/Vitrex to hand. There are some 20+ packs, all displaying signs of long term storage. 2 packs only of Vitrex, the rest Abrafile. Give or take a penny or so, they will cost £4.20 for a pack of three (something for the weekend, Sir?), plus postage . These will be long-term available (although at 83, 'long-term' maybe a relative value!!)

rgds

Bill

20/06/2019 21:16:36

For general info - I have bought the job lot of Abrafiles (and the Vertex copies) which were on Ebay. This was done to prevent the dreadful rip-off pricing which happened last time this product was being sought. Once I have received them I will make them available at cost plus postage in SMALL lots only. I would not expect delivery for at least 7 to 8 days.

The advantage of Abrafile, as against any of the others is the small diameter fixing pins which allow the blade to be started in the middle of a sheet with minimum material loss.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Cheap Carbide Lathe Tools
17/06/2019 12:19:37

Just received the following **LINK**

11 days for delivery and, at the price, appears to be extraordinarily good value. Had a quick look and it all looks good - the bearings spin sweetly, the chuck is a little jewel and the drive pulley looks to be standard. Don't know whether the "only one left" is 'click-bait' but seems a reasonable bet, price-wise.

rgds

Bill

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
11/06/2019 21:26:38

More a matter of the last week or so, watching the start of 37 million quids worth of trying to modify Nature - or, to be precise, the North Norfolk coast. The antics of the accompanying twin-hulled tow craft are quite amazing. one hopes the results will help to avoid a repeat of the 2013 'excitement' !!

img_9161a.jpg

img_9164a.jpg

rgds

Bill

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 14:15:38

Samsaranda - mixing mercury and aircraft was always tricky ! The Britannia you mentioned was a complete write-off - no possible way of tracing all the little globules. Can't remember which, but I seem to remember that at least one of my operational types had mercury triggered crash switches. Post retirement, I worked part-time in a watch and clock shop for a friend. He informed me one morning that he had dropped and broken a stick barometer the previous evening and had swept the resultant mess into the rubbish bin. I did an online search and showed him the results - he was suitably impressed!!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Sherline owners
29/05/2019 11:25:39

Very impressive machine with an equally impressive range of accessories and modifications available. Unfortunately, UK buyers suffer the usual cost problem of U,S, of A imports. I recently had a mantel clock repaired by a local c hap whose main workshop machine was a 'long bed' Sherline and he swore by it. When I first considered it, a big plus was the company's on-line manuals of methods of operation - very informative.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Chernobyl TV Series
29/05/2019 00:30:26

I am confused! ... not an unusual conditionsad

I remember Chernobyl but NOT any radiation fears in the UK . Given the normal geostrophic wind patterns of generally West to East I wouldn't have expected any major pollution. The pollution scare which DID register was the Windscale/ Sellafield explosion which caused very specific problems with Welsh sheep for some considerable time afterwards., plus a general concern expressed by our European, particularly Scandinavian, neighbours.

Chernobyl was indeed horrible but one memory remains immovable - the military helicopter crews who VOLUNTARILY flew and hovered over the site dumping concrete to try to contain it, knowing it was a death sentence. How does anyone do that? The ultimate in heroism. R I P

rgds

Bill

Thread: What do YOU call it?
22/05/2019 19:48:06

Varies between 'gloating' and 'despairing'

The gloating bit comes from remembering the time when the only modifying tool I could afford was a Stanley knife, to having (almost) every machine tool I've ever wanted.

The despair comes from realising I lack the skill to do anything useful with them and the workshop is too overcrowded for comfort, anyway.

Sod's Law is immutable!sad

rgds

Bill

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
21/05/2019 16:55:06

Thanks, Joe blush

Ask me another on sport ... equally rubbish at that!!

rgds

Bill

21/05/2019 11:29:17

Joe -

.-. --- -... . .-. - --.---.. .-. .--. ..

rgds

Bill

Thread: Interesting??
20/05/2019 12:28:36

My original posting was looking for comments or a reasoned rebuttal (which I was totally incapable of providing) in a forum with many well qualified to do so. Pity it didn't happen!

However back to the source and this was posted :-

"

Originally Posted by Haraka View Post
As a kid I thought I had invented a similar type of system,but it required the geared intervention of an interrupter plate that blocked magnetism .....That was after my attempt to square the circle. (which also went down in flames) .

I also had the same idea as a kid, what is interesting is that I was in college before I finally found an answer to where the 'hidden loss' was that would keep it from working given lossless mechanical perfection, probably not exact but close enough:

Any material that can block magnetism will have induced eddy currents that will create a drag, hence the action of moving the interrupter plate requires more energy than it would if not in a magnetic field.

Even though I knew it would not work I asked various science teachers what the flaw was and none had an answer other than it would not work. I figure out the answer on my own while taking some long forgotten course.

One of the reasons that the 'inventors' of free energy devices get as far as they do is that they rely on the classic "show me why it wont work" (other than conservation of energy of course) rather than proving it will work.

As to Steorn, I believe they may have genuinely thought it was real, my theory on why it failed outside demos is that they were unknowingly tapping energy from the slightly unbalanced magnetic fields of a nearby high tension transmission line. "

Thanks to MurphyWasRight

rgds

Bill

19/05/2019 11:54:22

From the vantage point of 'O' level General Science nearly 70 years ago, I bow to all of the above. However, I seem to remember that the world of professional Physics can prove that the bee is incapable of flight (or was it some other insect?) Just saying wink wink

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest