By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Reminiscences
21/09/2020 11:09:31

Dave W - Your mention of Sharjah brought back memories of an earlier time there - '56. We used to 'stage' through en-route to Bahrain, Habbaniyah and Cyprus, from Aden, on Valettas. Memories such as multiple weevils baked in bread, Mc Conachies Ready Meal (a tinned stew) to avoid the Mess food. Charlie's steam roller airfield repair - runways were oil soaked sand and needed re-surfacing after a couple of landings and take-offs. Got stuck there for 10 days when it was flooded! Went out in the desert, to recover a stuck Bedford, with 'Shanee' Wallis, a REME sergeant with his six wheel Scammell recovery machine. Also spent a couple of days with the local armourer restacking 1000 pounder bombs in the bomb dump, nervously eyeing 'Bomber' Wigley as he belted 6 inch nails into timber battens to move old stock for new arrivals ... "No point in worrying, if this lot goes, you won't know anything about it!!"

Recently reading Macmillan's diaries, he mentions an international 'incident', which we were involved in, and hadn't realised the significance of, at the time. Buraimi Oasis had, aparently, been infiltrated by the Saudis at the behest of an International oil company and were planning a take-over. We flew down from Sharjah with a 'cash convoy' for the local Trucial Oman Scouts and instructions for their commander. We flew down again the next day and picked up the 'prisoners' who had been rounded up in a 'dawn raid'. I was 'given charge' of these, with the aid of a couple of TOS troops, pike bayonets at the ready and me, with Smith and Wesson drawn, and likely to be more hindrance than help! Never heard it mentioned until reading 'Uncle Harold's ' biography account, 65 years later!

Best thing about Sharjah, (for those of us based in Aden) - air-conditioned accommodation!!! Unheard of at Khormaksar!

Ramble switch OFF!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Why are BA taps so blooming expensive??
21/09/2020 10:12:43

Brian has made a valid point which I was about to query - why insist on the 'design' values? I would suggest that these miniature engines were not designed to that degree and were the product of 'most available'.You aren't making interchangeable components, so adapt to something similar. Given my lack of expertise in this area, I'm possibly missing something ... but what?

rgds

Bill

Thread: which older mill to complement a ML7?
21/09/2020 10:00:39

Cannot disagree with your likely choice, however, a point, which may be relevant, the D-W was designed to be built on ... an ML7! I have my second (a Mk2) having previously had a Mk1; it nicely compliments the Trileva 7b (and all the tooling is compatible.)

rgds

Bill

Thread: Orion (asterism)
19/09/2020 17:32:30

Wish I'd thought of that.

I looked at that - and my brain hurt!!! 2000 light years!! Silly little brain cells can't accommodate the scale of that ... distance that you can see described as a time! Astronomers are a different breed frown

rgds

Bill

Thread: Reminiscences
19/09/2020 17:12:17

MichaelR - well remember the 'battery man' - once a fortnight brought exchange 6v accumulators, LT supply for the Murphy valve radio, the HT being a large 120v battery. Reception was only possible via a long (30'-40' )    aerial strung across the back garden supported on porcelain insulators. Switch on and wait for it to 'warm up' and then fiddle with the tuning knob to get BBC Home Service - "In Town Tonight"; "Saturday Night Theatre", "Dick Barton, Special Agent", "Mrs Dale's Diary"; "Happydrome"; The Archers (and Grace in the barn fire!); "Force's Favourites" for Sunday lunch and, and, and... very occasionally the Third Programme. John Snagge, Freddy Grisewood, Alvar Liddell, Barrington Dolby, Ralph Wightman, Wilfred Pickles ("Give her the money, Mabel" )  Gentle qualities from a different (better?) era.

Outdoor 'privies' with Newspapers serving a useful purpose, Water from wells, Milk delivered straight from the (probably insanitary) milkshed, decanted from a churn into a jug, horses providing farm 'power' with occasional Burrell, Fowler and Aveling and Porter steam, smell and noise for threshing. Steam trains on main and branch lines with soot and cinders in the eyes from leaning out of the leather strap conrtolled windows. Collar-detached shirts with collar studs, boots with hob-nails and 'segs'. Saturday night cinema, 1shilling in the stalls or 1 and 9d in the balcony. Lyons ice cream in the interval and continuous performance throughout the day.

Footballs made from leather and needing 'dubbin' to say pliable, knitted woolen bathing suits which gathered and retained sea-water for hours after immersion. Sandwiches with fishpaste, or cucumber and, once a week a bottle of Corona (non-virus!) Dandelion and Burdock, tripe, fried brains, sheep's head braun. faggots, saffron buns the size of tea-plates, scalded cream in a huge bowl golden and fissured surface waiting to scoop onto fresh-baked scones laden with home-made jam ...

... have to stop there, the keyboard isn't dribble proof1

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 19/09/2020 17:13:20

Edited By Cornish Jack on 19/09/2020 17:14:21

Thread: Dore Westbury milling machine
16/09/2020 21:33:55

Kevan - I have one and it is my second. Quality is very much down to the original builder - mine have both been second or third hand. Brian Wood (forum member) is particularly well-versed in the pros and cons. From the viewpoint of an untrained 'bodger', I find them to be ideal for my purposes, especially since I have a Myford lathe and the two are compatible. I would expect there to be more expert assessments from other members.

rgds

Bill

Thread: "The Unique"
16/09/2020 21:26:42

S.O.D's explanation of the dollar(Thaler) history could also include the British using one particular version - the Maria Theresa Thaler as a 'trusted' currency. In Aden in the 50s and before and since, the MT Thaler was the primary unit of currency with the 'locals' and they all had to carry the same date 186... something? Local Levee garrisons were paid in them and the 'cash convoys' were heavyweight boxes!I cannot now remember the equivalent exchange rate.

I left UK ,for a 3 year overseas tour, just as decimal coinage was being introduced. As a result, I have never completely come to terms with PENCE, and still find myself doing mental conversions into £.s.d. Pounds, (proper ones!) shillings and pence and farthings, halfpennies, threepenny bits (brass and silver), florins, halfcrowns, ten bob notes,all still seem perfectly natural.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Scaling back forum activity
12/09/2020 10:42:16

I have real concern in revisiting this particular thread - it should have been moderated CLOSED some time back.

I neither know, nor would care to know, Mr Lever, but his self-promoting conceits leave quite the nastiest residual 'taste' I can recall on this forum.

To smugly bleat on about his exceptional talents being denied the (free) oxygen he clearly feels that they deserve, on the forum he, so unfairly, denigrates, is almost beyond belief. To then, further, use that same despised forum to advertise his pathetic need for further gratuitous 'exposure' says even more about his character than I could express without justifiable moderation!

Justin, Neil, whoever, preferably, delete!

rgds

Bill

10/09/2020 14:33:56

How very odd!!

Possibly being an out of touch wrinkly, I see this and the few other forums that I visit, as somebody else's property to which I am given access. The owners and their representatives are at liberty to set their own rules and I'm at a loss to understand why anyone should feel aggrieved by that. Could somebody update me on modern concepts of socially acceptable behaviour, please?

rgds

Bill

Thread: Jobs we had as kids
08/09/2020 18:36:21

Bazyle's point is well made re. town versus country - village life in West Cornwall only offered NDIY's type of jobs. Generally unpaid except for potato picking (1 shilling an hour!) - back breaking, even for kids. Once went hop-picking in Hereford and can still remember the smell. Only regular income during school years was threepence a week for 'blowing' the church organ morning and evening on Sundays. Short period from school-leaving to joining the RAF, spent working on a mobile fish and chip bus (Smokey Joe's). Regular timetable visits lunchtime and evenings to the local villages. £1.50 for a 6 day week with free lunches. Joining the RAF reduced the pay to £1. 8 shillings for the first 6 months then, ... riches beyond compare, when we started flying ... £2 .2. 0 ... minus 'barrack damages' and compulsory savings. It's hardly surprising that we have difficulty understanding/sympathising with some of todays' moans!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Hermes Parcels
07/09/2020 10:29:23

Hermes are used for delivery because they are comparatively cheap.

If an item gets to 'out for delivery' status, the quality of the driver is key.

S O D's theory on competition is just that ... a theory, nowhere near universal in practice.

With some notable exceptions, profiteering trumps (unfortunate terminology) customer service.

The Post Office works better because it employs, rather than hires staff.

Wasn't 'Get Carter' to do with somewhere North of the Watford gap - almost not British at all? wink

rgds

Bill

Thread: Classified For Sale
04/09/2020 13:57:33

Oldiron- unless someone better qualified can advise, I assume that 'Former Member' refers to one of our more talented members, who left for a while, but has recently returned to provide more of his much-missed expertise. His original user name was changed when he resigned.

rgds

Bill

04/09/2020 12:41:32

Ian - Thank you for that update. Query has now been sorted. Apologies for any offence caused.

rgds

Bill

04/09/2020 11:18:39

Thank you, Jason - No, I didn't - because I was unaware such a problem existed. However, having had no response to the forum message, I used the advertiser's email address on the message form and sent a message direct - no response to that either.

rgds

Bill

PS - if your caveat refers to the incorporated message note " this message was sent by ... etc" , I never delete that, but do find it confusing as to where one's own text should start - above that warning or after it? Never had this problem with the runner with a cleft stick!!cheeky

PPS - perhaps filling the entire 'for sale' box has exhausted the member concerned!

Edited By Cornish Jack on 04/09/2020 11:22:21

04/09/2020 10:05:11

... and yet again , made an enquiry re. an advertised item - still listed, no response, not even the courtesy of "Sorry, already sold"

Sign of the times, bad manners, couldn't care less ... or what? Very irritating, whatever the reason

rgds

Bill

Thread: An interesting consequence of Moore’s Law
02/09/2020 09:59:09

I still have my first digital cameras - Minoltas, the first one having the lens detachable as a block and connectable via a 3' cable - clever idea which was never developed. Digital cameras are probably one of the more extreme examples of price drop versus performance increase.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Simple Gearing for Metric Threads on Myford ML7 lathes with gearboxes
01/09/2020 09:02:01

Maximiser - thank you for that info. I did confirm availability on their site, but, their 'certificate' gave my anti-virus (Avast) a hissy fit with dire warnings of doom! Went back to Tracy Tools and they now list what I want, so going that route.

Thank you for your help, nevertheless.

rgds

Bill

31/08/2020 17:18:06

Thank you, Clive - 0.4 it shall be , then ... if I can find one !

rgds

Bill

31/08/2020 11:30:47

Sort of on topic or, at least, related.

I've restarted a part-completed Bengs models Sophie. Have now got to the need for 2mm thread production, Internal no problem but I don't have a 2 mm die and the usual go-to, (Tracy Tools), catalogue confuses me (easily done!) There appears to be 2 possibles (2mm x 4 and 2mm x 25) only one of which is in stock. I cannot find a similar reference on the 2 mm tap and don't understand the difference. Can anyone explain, please or point to a likely source?

TIA

regds

Bill

Thread: Getting an ML7
12/08/2020 13:36:25

For either short, or longer, term reference, it's worth considering re-motoring and installing a VFD. Even on my TriLeva the difference is worthwhile. My installation forced the removal of the drive belt guard but other ML's may not need it.

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest