By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flying experience
20/01/2019 22:43:57

John D 1 - I can well understand the attraction of hang-gliding - described by some as the nearest you can get to flying like the birds. The tragedies you note are the other side of the coin and in the early days the easy access and lack of 'airmanship' was a recurring factor. It would seem that enthusiasm can still outweigh caution and commonsense ...

**LINK**

Might be worth him having a punt on the lottery!!

rgds

Bill

19/01/2019 18:57:32

Re. flying experience ... varied extensive and (most importantly), free! Joined at Cardington in 53, Swanton Morley training as Signaller during 54, then a total of 34 plus years, 6000 hours split 50/50 fixed wing/helo , operated in all crew positions except gunner, 2+ years Special Duties, completed Air Traffic controller course, test flying Boscombe Down, VC10 Sim console Op, then BA tech instructing (Tristar and 747 400) and Virgin 474. Signed off for full motion ops on all the sims plus demos on BAC 111 and 737-200.

That mish-mash plus having held Master Aircrew rank made my user name easy ... as in "of all trades" with acknowledgement of the complete version!!sad Best flying? unarguably 14+ years helo S&R - on line and instructing and the most satisfying piloting being the Whirlwind 10! - much the most difficult but much the most satisfying when you got it right!

15 years since last involvement - where does the time go?

rgds

Bill

19/01/2019 17:46:49

I watched the Andy Gough incident at Brize - tragic, obviously, but quite strange also. He arrived overhead on tow while the previous display was concluding. I was one of very few people to see it and the sequence was OK until the inverted downward portion, when he pushed then relaxed and pushed again. The second push removed the outer wing panels and he disappeared into the bomb dump. I haven't read the BoE report but if Martin's version is correct, it doesn't quite tie in with what I saw - certainly no aileron involvement.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Yet more confusion!
12/01/2019 14:53:03

As if Brexit wasn't enough of a problem ...**LINK**

Good excuse for the next time I get lost!!wink

rgds

Bill

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
04/01/2019 13:43:16

S O D - " This wasn't an isolated incident: bribery, sabotage, bigamy, seduction, arms trafficking, destabilising governments, he did it all. "

NO change there, then !

rgds

Bill

Thread: Model engineers - enlisted in war efforts?
02/01/2019 20:50:03

Sfuart Turner it was. They made small combined boiler/engine packs which were small and light enough to be used for Special Forces and similar, to power radios in the field. etc. Pretty sure that ME had an article about them maybe 20/30 years back

rgds

Bill

Thread: Drill sharpener
27/12/2018 13:25:50

Mark P - I have a Drill Doctor. Used once when first purchased some 5 years or so, ago. Drill size , maybe 6 - 8 mm and results seemed OK but innate laziness has taken over since! blush

rgds

Bill

Thread: New Products from ARC
26/12/2018 15:14:13

The DRO price reduction offer on this forum settled my Xmas pressie this year and very impressive too! That left SWMBO to sort out. Happened to mention that I had seen a "Myrtle the Turtle" robot vacuum cleaner in Lidls and the response was immediate! Managed to get one and have just given it a trial run. At 83 it represents the best possible fun to be had with one's clothes on!! The final 'icing on the cake', so to speak, is pressing the remote control 'Home' button and it stops what it's doing and navigates back to and plugs itself into the charging point. Better than telly ... well almost anything is, over Xmas!

PS   the cats think its absolutely fascinating too!

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 26/12/2018 15:15:22

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
22/12/2018 16:58:54

"Surely the authorities are obliged to consider the possibility of malicious intent."

Indeed so, Michael. That possibility, I would suggest, should be based on experience of such things, which, in spite of them being freely available for some years plus the demonstrations of evil intent among the bad guys, has resulted in just how many incidents? Exactly zero - not that that has any guarantees for the future but it does indicate that hiring a van is more 'productive'. Who needs some head-banger, faith-quoting loonies to cause chaos and disruption, when we can self-generate the Gatwick episode?

rgds

Bill

22/12/2018 14:50:11

Ron - the aerodynamic effect is what you would see as the difference between , for example, a 'frisbee' and a pebble. Apart from the distribution of mass, the airflow effect on a 'flying' object is entirely different from that on an object travelling on a trajectory. If you then combine it with the airflow distribution over the AIRBORNE aircraft (not on the ground, static) the situation is entirely different from that depicted in the demo clip. Additionally, the indicated damage, while appearing severe, is, I would suggest, not structurally or life-threatening.

Examples of aerodynamic interference are readily seen in air-to-air refuelling - getting the probe into the drogue requires a VERY large amount of trim change and that is at some considerable separation.

Finally, as I pointed out earlier, the sheer difficulty of intentionally positioning the drone would tax the talents of the very best of remote controllers - for demo, try model aircraft formation flying.

rgds

Bill

22/12/2018 12:25:38

I have to disagree with the suggestions that ... a. a drone strike is likely or

b. that the damage shown in the clip previously has much validity.

The clip shows an object (drone?) being propelled at 200 mph at a static wing. The drone is not IN AERODYNAMIC condition and the wing is STATIC (no aerodynamic effect). That would, possibly, replicate a solid object impact result but totally ignores the airflow effects of BOTH drone and aircraft wing. It does not equate with a bird strike. IF and it is an ENORMOUS IF, any drone operator could manoeuvre the drone into aircraft proximity, the likelihood of a strike is minimal. Birds represent a hazard only because of their numbers and, therefore, the large total area presented. I would suggest that the whole episode response has been totally disproportionate and, unfortunately, typical of what has become the litigious 'snowflake' society!

rgds

Bill

21/12/2018 18:07:56

Mods - any chance of the "No sex, politics or religion" embargo being activated. please?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, he/she/they are at it again apparentlydisgust

A question for those interested - How many aircraft/people have been killed or injured by bird strikes and how many by drones/model aircraft?? Second question - How many times have airfields been closed by sightings of bird flocks in the vicinity??

Discuss - if you feel so inclined.

rgds

Bill

20/12/2018 18:31:00

On another forum they have reached 56 pages!!!! on this item, so farsad Very few of the posters offer anything other than banning manufacture, buying , selling, flying etc. as possible remedies. One or two saner souls understand the utter futility of any such efforts, in the same way that the answer to 5000 DEATHS on British roads EACH YEAR would logically be to BAN the motor car. These things exist. Bad guys and standard human idiots exist! Banning the latter would be MUCH more effective.

My viewpoint may seem uncaring of what is thought to be the 'problem' - Kites have been in existence for hundreds of years; I was brought to earth by one such, wrapping its string around the main and tail rotor hubs of our helicopter such that the pitchchange rods were bent like bananas ... quite lucky to walk away from it. These things happen. I would not suggest that kites should be banned and I would suggest that a little less 'hysterical' commentary and a more pragmatic assessment by the aviation world would avoid the nonsensical scenes being enacted at Gatwick at the moment.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
20/12/2018 12:06:41

From another forum - something seasonal!

**LINK**

Merry Xmas/Bah Humbug (delete as required.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Engineering magazine
08/12/2018 18:02:45

Just an update on this. My memory (for once) served me well, except for the spelling! - the source was an old engineering magazine advert turned up on another forum. ...

fescol1.jpg

Presumably no longer in operation?

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 08/12/2018 18:03:26

08/12/2018 00:06:28

Had a couple of years as Ops and S&R on D Sqdn at Boscombe in the late 70s. Some of the trials flying was unusual to say the least - such as carrying six 'dummies' on a 'jungle penetrator' suspended 300' below a Seaking at slowly increasing speeds. From memory, we got to 40 knots before the rope went into violent gyrations and detached itself!! I believe this was classified as a 'failure'.surprise

Andrew -"...on the MRCA" ... Multi Racial Cost Accumulator, as it was known , at the timecheeky

rgds

Bill

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
07/12/2018 14:17:54

Not exactly today, but have, at long last, finished the 'nostalgia indulgence' for the weather vane and the 'Office'. One in brass and one in aluminium. Happy days!!

img_0013a.jpg

img_0015a.jpg

rgds

Bill

07/12/2018 11:30:05

An interesting read for the tech input. Unfortunately, the main problem was 'the holes in the cheese lined up'. The take-off had been made as a 'towering slow back up' which put it in an unrecoverable position for a tail rotor failure. The loss of T/R authority is quite manageable in low/medium power forward flight, if necessary going the autorotation route, but the Leicester scenario was never going to be recoverable.

Actual incident some years ago - Whirlwind 10 inbound from training to Valley.

Instructor -" Bloggs, get the ^&%* ball in the middle"

Stude - "I'm trying, Sir!"

Instructor - "Yes, I know you are but get the ball in the middle."

Stude - "I've got full pedal on , Sir and it's still slippingt!"

Instructor - "Ah, yes Bloggs, so I see. I have control, stand by for auto!"

Autorotation was duly completed into a nearby farmyard, which was noted (too late) as being well covered in slurry! Pulling in collective generated some 'interesting' gyrations!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Hi from Nelsons County
02/12/2018 19:42:34

Andrew, Pat - me too! ... an import, of course. Bacton Green (that's the other bit of Bacton-on-Seacheeky) Lots of kit but little activitysad

rgds

Bill

Thread: Engineering magazine
02/12/2018 12:15:44

One of the pre-flight 'walk-arround' checks on the 747 (and Tristar) was to confirm that there was" at least ** inches of the 'fescalised' portion of the oleo visible". Obviously, I know what is referred to, but it was years before I discovered the derivation of the term. It was either the Firm's name or the process which they applied. The only source for this was a Centenary issue of the 'Engineering' magazine and a batch of advert copies from the 30s/40s. My copy was trashed with the house and much else from my library. Does anyone have a copy of that magazine, or a normal issue from that period which carries that advert? If so, would it be possible to obtain a copy?

The derivation query comes up at regular intervals and it would be nice to have 'chapter and verse'

TIA

rgds

Bill

PS - I am aware of the supposed derivation from the rather esoteric culinary habits of the Greeks so would prefer to avoid any further reference to that, thank you!!

Edited By Cornish Jack on 02/12/2018 12:18:51

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest