By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mystery object
07/09/2019 22:38:10

Much used in model aircraft , for push-rod ends and similar. Almost anything requiring thin high strength - lantern pinions for clocks maybe? Very useful stuff, particularly as you appear to have a number of different gauges.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Bending Rolls
07/09/2019 16:37:31

If your 9F is of the same quality, it'll be a cracker! Super job!yes

rgds

Bill

Thread: Brooks Stent Grinder Plans
05/09/2019 17:37:34

I have both a Stent (near complete*) and a Worden (most bits plus dedicated motor) surplus to requirements. Both are in need of cleaning /derusting and I have neither time nor inclination.

* probably complete but would need to gather all the bits, as it has been dismantled!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Bandsaw blades
30/08/2019 21:13:47

Just an update on my bandsaw problem (or one of them, at least!) I ordered a replacement for the Naerok from Trucut (as recommended). Slight delivery delay but now received and fitted and working well (fingers crossed!) Its other problem, the breakup of the 'tyres' was solved by utilising an old leather belt, slitting it lengthwise to correct width and glueing it in place with inch length scarf ing at the join. Used one of the modern 'glue everything' clear variety with cyano at the joins. There are SOME advantages to getting old and FAT!!

Now to deal with the Axminster - tyre or no tyre??

rgds
Bill

25/08/2019 12:36:42

Not a good weekend for mechanical saws!! So far, one Naerok blade break, one Hegner similar, one Axminster blade came off the wheels - fingers crossed, the trusty old Kennedy carries on regardless. The query is re. the Axminster - there appears to be a 'tyre' only on the drive wheel - is this correct? also, that 'tyre' is spongy, very loose fitting and appears to have absorbed cutting fluid (WD40 for ali). Any comments, please, from members who are familiar with the Axminster or similar 4.5" saws?

TIA

rgds

Bill

Thread: Ultrasonic toothbrushes
23/08/2019 16:58:32

pgk - the "charcoal for poor folk" persisted into the 40s at least, although it was given as soot (from the common family range). Applied by finger, not brush and, supposedly had a natural whitening effect. War-time restrictions probably led to it being encouraged.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Myford ML7 tailstock bore, and threading the barrel to fit a chuck
23/08/2019 16:24:35

Only just come across this thread but it leaves me puzzled (not uncommon, these days!) . I must be misunderstanding the problem, 'cos I would have used my 2MT insert with an ML7 nose thread in the tailstock and then screwed on the 4 jaw. Obviously missed something but can't see what. This insert has been most useful over the years, allowing chucks at nose and tail 3s, 4s or one of each. If nothing else, it makes centring stock in the 4jaw easy-peasy. What am I missing/misreading, please?

rgds

Bill

22/08/2019 11:01:37

Thanks again for all the useful advice and, particularly, a PM from Ian W setting out the options. I think that I shall go for a primarily wood use replacement.

Gary W - yes, the Clarke model is a 'dead ringer'.

rgds

Bill

21/08/2019 18:04:15

Robin, Brian and Chris, many thanks. I think the made to order replacement is the way to go. Just a further query - what should one specify for an all-round blade (Bi-metal, tpi etc?) or should one get separate metal and wood use blades?

Thanks again

rgds

Bill

Thread: Are there any left?
21/08/2019 17:55:33

Started S&R helo flying in '64.The nature of the work required that we used throat mics rather than the conventional type. The RAF, as usual, failed to organise a supply so, on joining we were told to go to a particular surplus shop in Soho to buy an ex Army tank crew throat mic. - 7 shillings and sixpence, refundable on production of the receipt!! This item was then given to the Safety Equipment section who removed the connector and attached an aircraft compatible one. From memory, it was about 18 months before we received the custom designed replacements.

"Yes, dear, I was in Soho on Government orders" embarrassed

rgds

Bill

21/08/2019 17:18:01

Just broken the blade on my Naerok bandsaw - bought secondhand 40 years ago, so possibly a bit overdue!

It's a 70" length ??tpi and has been used on wood, ali and plastic. The only specified length replacement I can find is a 6 tpi wood use only. As a confirmed 'tool magpie', I have two stick welders and a recent Lidl purchase - Mig welder??? I have never welded anything, ever!, so I suspect that any attempt is doomed to failure BUT, is it worth trying? , and with which one? Also, can anyone suggest a UK source for Naerok compatible replacements

TIA

rgds

Bill

Thread: Blown Fuse
13/08/2019 11:44:36

Totally unqualified musing - was the material aluminium? ... Might there have been a magnesium/mag alloy inclusion which heated to explosion point (hence the flash and burned swarf) and a concurrent electric surge to blow the fuse?

retires to comfortable ignorancesad

rgds

Bill

Thread: "Oh, I do like to be beside ... "
03/08/2019 17:05:57

Steve F, yes, the Sand Engine and very impressive too!. 'Big Bertha', aka BAM318 has gone back to base in Holland to refuel. She has been on continuous working for more than a week, dredging in a couple of approved areas off Lowestoft. She comes back here, parks just offshore and pumps the sand/water mix through a large pipe. the pipe is constantly extended (very dexterous Cat drivers) and they progress along the beach. Eventually will extend from the Gas Terminal to Walcott - quite an undertaking.

rgds

Bill

03/08/2019 15:01:04

Summertime, holidays, sun tan and ice cream ... and sand castles. Here in Norfolk we do sand castles the proper way!

img_9166a.jpg

and a 36,000 ton 'Big Bertha' floating bucket to provide the wherewithal!

img_9168a.jpg

There's some serious 'big boys' Tonka Toys' out there - unfortunately at 83 I'm never going to be allowed to play with them!sad

Our living room view is changing - hopefully, no more 2013 episodes!

rgds

Bill

Thread: RENAULT DAUPHINE
02/08/2019 12:55:45

Re. the Imp, wasn't one of the major problems the pneumatic throttle operation? Never had one but heard tales of the throttle tube coming adrift. Seem to remember they were much favoured for racing.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Laser cut plates
01/08/2019 11:28:01

Re. laser cutting, yesterday I received a completed order from 'Original Forgery Ltd.' . It was just a simple set of decorative windvane direction letters but the quality was outstanding and the delivery lightning fast. No connection etc. but they will certainly be first port of call for any further work.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Cruise meeting crash
20/07/2019 14:24:33

In the aviation world, this is often characterised as "the Darwin Principle" and, as long as those 'damaged' are willing participants, commended for its beneficial effects on the human gene pool! The self-destruct impulse which energises these people is fine when limited to proper competitive arenas, otherwise stamp on it - heavily!

rgds

Bill

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 12:01:05

Points to make :-

1. It is an Apple initiative - 'nuff said!

2. These are new children's toys - let them play!

3. A great deal of today's written output (amateur and professional) is in dire need of amplification for meaning!

4. As a fully qualified 'old fart' myself, Dave's (S O D) description is very wide of the mark on a personal basis.

The oft-used example of the Judge's 'out of touch' query is, as I suspect Dave is aware, solely due to the need for recorded evidence to be understood by all - not just by the socially limited 'pop-culture'

standing by for 'incoming'

rgds

Bill

Thread: Any other business?
15/07/2019 21:27:47

Vic - the accident you refer to was a function of something which is not limited to flyght crew. Car drivers experience similar; if you make the same journey many times, how often do you suddenly reakise that you cannot recall bits of the journey? It's the repetition trick. If you do something over and over again, after a while it becomes automatic and you see and do what you want to see and do without conscious thought. When you do the pre-start/taxi/takeoff checks day-in, day-out and the panels are always correctly set, it takes a mighty effort of will to recognise something out of kilter. Oddly, I suppose that one answer would be for the engineers to deliberately misposiyion the switches/ circuit breakers etc. on every turn round ... not very practical!

The actual solution is a complete, undeviating adherence to check lists - nothing from memory! That's a mantra that stays with me,having nearly ended in the undershoot of an Eastern airport with a Captain who "can't be bothered with those things"

rgds

Bill

15/07/2019 19:11:59

A recent (now closed ) thread contained a block graph purporting to show the causes of aircraft accidents and apportioning the majority to 'pilot error'. While it is arguable that that term is applicable in a number of cases, it is also a 'catch-all' get-out for AAIB et al to cover 'cause not known' incidents, It is, for instance, arguable that the recent 737 Max 8 tragedies were 'pilot error' in that they failed to control an aircraft, fully serviceable apart from one designed-in anomaly. It is an area which requires more than usual caution in coming to conclusions.

Just a note for S O Ds graphic title writer - Woodworkers are possibly dangerous creatures but their tools (planes) are relatively safe. AEROplanes, (or aircraft) however, can be a different kettle of fish.

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest