By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
21/05/2019 16:55:06

Thanks, Joe blush

Ask me another on sport ... equally rubbish at that!!

rgds

Bill

21/05/2019 11:29:17

Joe -

.-. --- -... . .-. - --.---.. .-. .--. ..

rgds

Bill

Thread: Interesting??
20/05/2019 12:28:36

My original posting was looking for comments or a reasoned rebuttal (which I was totally incapable of providing) in a forum with many well qualified to do so. Pity it didn't happen!

However back to the source and this was posted :-

"

Originally Posted by Haraka View Post
As a kid I thought I had invented a similar type of system,but it required the geared intervention of an interrupter plate that blocked magnetism .....That was after my attempt to square the circle. (which also went down in flames) .

I also had the same idea as a kid, what is interesting is that I was in college before I finally found an answer to where the 'hidden loss' was that would keep it from working given lossless mechanical perfection, probably not exact but close enough:

Any material that can block magnetism will have induced eddy currents that will create a drag, hence the action of moving the interrupter plate requires more energy than it would if not in a magnetic field.

Even though I knew it would not work I asked various science teachers what the flaw was and none had an answer other than it would not work. I figure out the answer on my own while taking some long forgotten course.

One of the reasons that the 'inventors' of free energy devices get as far as they do is that they rely on the classic "show me why it wont work" (other than conservation of energy of course) rather than proving it will work.

As to Steorn, I believe they may have genuinely thought it was real, my theory on why it failed outside demos is that they were unknowingly tapping energy from the slightly unbalanced magnetic fields of a nearby high tension transmission line. "

Thanks to MurphyWasRight

rgds

Bill

19/05/2019 11:54:22

From the vantage point of 'O' level General Science nearly 70 years ago, I bow to all of the above. However, I seem to remember that the world of professional Physics can prove that the bee is incapable of flight (or was it some other insect?) Just saying wink wink

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
18/05/2019 21:40:06

"flying with three aircraft on one exercise is quite rare."

Oh, how things have changed!

Nicosia mid 60s, para drop exercise, mixed Hastings and Bevs. Called downwind and got the reply "Roger, Number 12 to finals call base leg" ... and we were not 'tail end charlie' in the stream!

rgds

Bill

18/05/2019 14:36:25

£1 to look ????? Is there a paywall? None from here.

The article looks at the use of rare earth magnets used (in opposition ?) to generate useful power.

Does this work?

**LINK**

rgds

Bill

Thread: Fake Websites
18/05/2019 13:27:44

Been around for years and are in the same league as the search results for almost any item, particukarly drivers.

Standard internet rubbish!

rgds

Bill

18/05/2019 13:23:02

From another website - **LINK**

Any thoughts??

rgds

Bill

Thread: "Screwing" a car round a corner!
03/05/2019 21:32:23

Couldn't ever afford any 'performance' metal when I was young enough to enjoy it, so had to make do with our staff transport in Bangkok - a Morris J2!! Couple Thai tarmac with total front end weight and frustrated youth (speedwise) and the results were quite spectacular! All that AND a column change to boot!

Aaaaah - days of yore!

rgds

Bill

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
28/04/2019 14:20:50

Observation of brakelight operating patterns plus the use/non-use of indicators is one of the more useful prompts for survival in the constant battle with the Great British Driving Idiot! I would, perhaps, be a little less than sympathetic towards anyone who complains about being 'undertaken' - that situation would indicate that the complainant was one of the ubiquitous 'middle/outside lane hogs'sad

It would be nice but naive to believe that British driving standards will in any way improve - emphasis by manufacturers on 'safety features', and officialdom on meaningless speed restrictions, will ensure yet more of the 'I don't have to think for myself - someone else will take care of it' attitude.

Personally, "Everyone else on the road is a homicidal maniac" is a mantra which has served me well, and safely, through my 83 years and million plus miles of accident-free world-wide driving.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Where's my Dykem blue gone - there's no need to read this
21/04/2019 17:48:41

Bought SWMBO a 'new' computer (more RAM /HD etc.) and wanted to transfer files from old machine. Have to do similar on my own box so bought two USB bridge Link cables. Stored them safely waiting for a blank couple of hours to do the job. Came the day ... cables nowhere to be seen - and I KNEW that they were in little plastic bags. Searched everywhere likely (and unlikely!!) and gave in and, yesterday ordered another two. Packing a parcel of goodies for a relation today and using a pile of Os&Ss to rest the package on and one bit of the pile fell onto the floor. Picked up a BLUE BOX containing a - Yes, that's right and its mate was similarly placed!!

I'm wondering if the recent medical news, that dead pig's brains can be 'activated' by some sort of intervention, might have some significance!!blushdisgust

rgds

Bill

Thread: Notre Dame
16/04/2019 18:58:17

Two possibilities??

Clean up the remains and leave as is ... like the original Coventry Cathedral.

or

Rebuild as was BUT ... it will only ever be a replica!!

As to available craftsmen - check on the Guedelon site - **LINK**

Genuine original skills AND French, to boot!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Arc tangent to two ellipses
12/04/2019 14:52:53

Have had a 'Flexicurve' for many years and very useful too but was offered this, some years ago. It offers a reasonable variety.img_0029a.jpg

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to its origin? Ex Weybridge chaps might be at an advantage!

rgds

Bill

Thread: What makes your bristle?
12/04/2019 14:35:45

Well then chaps - for all those who have been waiting with 'bated breath and unable to contain their excitement at the possible revelations, we have an answer ... it was the toothbrush what done it!!! Hopper pointed out the investigatory route and Sam correctly identified the cause and the culprit. The two brushes are, indeed, very slightly different in design and the culprit version allows minute quantities of 'slurry' to percolate through the body, down to the charger base, where it settles into 'yucky goo ... that is a technical term, of course!. Soooo, problem identified but not cured. Thank you to all contributors - ME Forum is magic!!smileyyes

rgds

Bill

09/04/2019 12:12:08

Hopper and Sam, thank you, Hopper, particukarly for waking up my dormant intelligence cells!!blush (especially for NOT pointing out that it was "bleeding obvious"!!) Of course that should be the first step and has now been done - results will require a week or so.

Neil - only me, SWMBO has her own.

Mark - constantly - but none have access to my bathrooms!!

rgds

Bill

08/04/2019 12:16:36

Thank you all. Sam, quite right, of course ..." better than a thousand words", so -

Downstairs

img_0023a.jpg

andimg_0025a.jpg

whereas, Upstairs -

img_0026a.jpg

and

img_0028a.jpg

... toothpaste, by the way, similar for both. Just doesn't make sense to me!

rgds

Bill

07/04/2019 21:34:34

Sort of on topic and the extraordinary knowledge base on this forum will, I'm sure, solve a mystery for me!

I have two Oral B rechargeable toothbrushes - one for the downstairs and one for the upstairs bathroom. I use one in the morning after my shower and one upstairs at night before bed. Useage is essentially similar, similar toothpaste, similar cleaning time, both carefully dried after use and replaced in charger. After a couple of days use, the upstairs on its base starts to collect a hardening blob of toofh paste between the brush handle and the base, the downstairs one remains consistently clean. I have just cleaned the upstairs unit for the third time in a year and it's driving me crackers!! Why the difference and, given that both are cleaned and dried after use, where is the toothpaste residue coming from????? Other than overtime by the workshop gremlin, I have no idea!!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Have your fathers habits rubbed off on you. Just for fun
30/03/2019 14:59:03

Fairly limited influence from my Dad, as for my first eight years he was fighting through India, the Middle East and then up through Italy before getting a home leave. Back again after the War but he died while I was in Aden on my first overseas tour. One cardinal rule of his which stays with me is 'Tell the truth, no matter how many problems it causes YOU, but try to take care of others" Hugely difficult, at times, and not always succeeded sad

rgds

Bill

Thread: Tri leva grease and bar removal help
28/03/2019 11:08:23

Choochoo - have you got the Trileva manual diagram? If not I can copy and post here, if it helps?

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
08/03/2019 11:28:46

Just come across this - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-08/nasa-captures-incredible-images-of-supersonic-shockwaves-intera/10882590

Don't understand the technical significance but VERY impressive images!

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest