By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Indoor R/C Flight & a whole lot more
10/11/2019 10:12:29

Quite extraordinary!! The last indoor I went to was in the 80s, in the big hangar at Cardington - a rather different offering! IIRC we had the first demo (for the RAFMAA) of an R/C indoor model - balsa and microfilm and rudder only. How times have changed!

Most amusing? - the 'witch', of course. Most eye-watering? - as an ex-helo man, that demented green 'thing' at the end of the clip!!

Some mind-boggling aerodynamics going on there - excessive electric power, of course, but the low speed stuff and controllability of the Antonov, ATR , Horton twin jet and the Viggen etc.would make some very interesting Perf plots!

Thank you Jason

Thread: What is it/they called?
06/11/2019 19:30:20

Thank you Bazyle - that's what I assumed originally ... except that there is NO drawbar! Also, the lack of a 'proper' centre hole at the tool end means it can't apply pressure from there. It is a fairly complex item to manufacture with the internal rod securing the cutter using the knurled portion. All very puzzling!

rgds

Bill

06/11/2019 11:15:07

Been trying to find info on the following 'milling cutter' (??) , without success. The cutter bit is held in position by a central plunger tighhtened by the knurled portion. It will only fit to cut TOWARDS the taper mount. There is a slot in the knurled portion to allow a pin to be drifted out to split the shaft. The taper is friction fit only, so cannot provide cutting pressure for the blade. there is a hole at the cutter end but not suitable for a centre. Approximately halfway between the knurled portion and the cutter there is a groove which is fitted with a spring ring. All in all, a total mystery! suggestions would be very welcome!!

img_0060a1.jpg

img_0060a.jpg

img_0062a.jpg

rgds

Bill

Thread: Polishing Acetal/Delrin and other plastics
01/11/2019 20:59:20

Final gloss finish using Jeweller's rouge, perhaps? or, for cheapskates like me , toothpaste. Won't do for anything other than the very fine stage. Use to use it for watch glasses.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Heartbroken!
01/11/2019 11:08:07

Trevor - presumably yours, like mine, are only suitable for 4 flute taps?

rgds

Bill

31/10/2019 17:09:34

Having just broken an 8mm tap (best quality Chinese black chocolate!), this thread offered various 'escape' options. However, from the dim recesses of my remaining brain cell, I recalled a couple of oddments from 40 or so years back - see pic below.

img_0058a.jpg

The smaller of the two was adjusted to fit and ... Bingo! . It unscrewed easy-peasy!

I cannot recall having seen these mentioned previously nor seen them advertised. Anyone else own or use one?

rgds

Bill

Thread: Confession Time!
18/10/2019 17:02:19

Definitely one for the Tea Room!

I have used telescopic magnetic pick-ups ever since I started to mess about with metal. They are essential nowadays to cope with back problems. A rummage around Lidls yesterday found a batch of various mag tools and I grabbed a couple of combined pick-up and mirror packs. Broke open one of the packs when I got home and out fell an instruction leaflet!!! An instruction leaflet ... for a mag pickup?? Elfin Safety beyond ridiculous!! Just to confirm that H&S WERE over the top, I read the leaflet. ... Well, well, welll! Drawings AND instructions? Fitting new batteries ...? batteries? for magnets? Oh, wait a minute - that mag head actually has an LED fitted and 3 button cells to operate it! I HAD NO IDEA!!! Must be some new bright idea. Went out to the workshop and looked at my oldest similar one ... That was similarly fitted but having been in use for 6 or 7 years, the LED was well past its prime! It's been obvious for some time that I'm very good at 'Senior Moments' but this is Gold Medal standard!!

I realise that nobody else on the Forum would be so daft, but for anyone yet to use this tool, please note the extra facility!

More tablets, please, Nurse!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Combined interests?
13/10/2019 23:01:19

I know there are members who are into this sort of thing - (definitely NOT my bag! ) so, maybe of interest ... except for the price!!!

**LINK**

rgds

Bill

Thread: Plinth size?
13/10/2019 12:25:31

Thank you Emgee - sounds good.

Mike - it's reassuring that others have the problem! Scissors and card to the fore!

rgds

Bill

13/10/2019 11:08:16

I am hoping to make a brass profile of an aircraft to be hardwood mounted. The dimensions will be approximately 7" x 2 .5". I am totally lacking ANY art/proportional skills and would appreciate suggestions as to best size/ proportion for the plinth. I would also like to incorporate a bras plaque on the plinth with relevant details.

TIA

rgds

Bill

Thread: Free software and human nature
13/10/2019 09:39:33

It's the sharp division between 'old style' common courtesy and today's 'entitlement' culture'. Time was, "Please" and "Thank you" were standard currency, imposed in childhood and remained as adults. These pleasantries are now dismissed as unnecessary. I recently 'phoned the Council to thank one of their staff for having arranged a replacement 'wheelie bin' at short notice. The lady was absolutely amazed -" We NEVER get thanked by the Public". Such a sad commentary on Society!

Closer to home and the OP's well-founded comments, it woukd be nice if one could expect conclusive responses from forum members re. Sales and Wants - not at all universal, unfortunately!

rgds
Bill

Thread: Grinding wheel 'washers'
08/10/2019 09:12:32

Thank you all again.

From all the advice given, I'm concerned about the compressiblity of the cardboard I had intended to use. As I said, it's just a standard piece of a cardboard box and doesn't have the less compressible qualities of e.g. gasket material - maybe I'm over-worrying!

rgds

Bill

07/10/2019 21:00:02

John and Old Mart - thank you. Both your suggestions are much less 'spongy than the card I have - no writing tablet and no cereal packet . I have a nagging feeling that what I have produced is not ideal! I shall have to search further.

rgds

Bill

07/10/2019 19:50:26

I have a Tiplap grinder with two original Boremaster wheels. They aren't really suitable for general grinding, so I am fitting a carborundum cup wheel . I have made a new mounting adaptor but I am unsure about the type of 'washer' to fit on either side. I have cut our a couple from the cardboard of a tool package. Is this appropriate or should they be made from something less 'agricultural?

TIA

rgds

Bill

Thread: Battery charger problem
03/10/2019 21:23:11

Thank you, everyone for your help and information. I have to admit a great deal was above my "red is positive, black is negative" level of knowledge - got totally floored by NDIY's mention of 3.7 and 4.2. Am I to understand that I'm dealing with made up series connected packs to provide the 12v? That would entail a REAL stripdown of the cells to do anything remedial, so the bin is looking likely!

rgds

Bill

03/10/2019 17:38:33

Andrew and Neil, thank you.

Andrew - you have picked up on the major difficulty - there are three terminals. I see between 9 and 10v between two of them and zilch with the 3rd. A Youtube battery strip-down on a similar pack showed a small circuit board which puzzled the wiggly amps expert . He finally decided that it was a low voltage sensor to prevent asymmetric charging, since there was (he said) no balancing circuitry.dont know

rgds

Bill

03/10/2019 13:47:31

Thank you all. Some interesting information again and the 'culprit', apart from my stupidity, was the wrong charger (10.3V instead of 12). The main prob;em now is the shape of the pack but I have found and ordered a similar looking replacement.

Duncan - that had occurred to me but then I remembered my 'soldering skills'!

Peak4 - Hmm, I have the kit, as ever, expertise is wanting!! sad

rgds

Bill

03/10/2019 09:44:43

Thank you again for your replies.

John Olsen - that's the information I was after.

XD 351 - that (polarity swap) would seem to fit the bill. Unfortunately, the battery pack is one of the 'triangular' type and appears to be available only from the 'hen's tooth' factory! sad

rgds

Bill

02/10/2019 22:54:39

Thanks Bill - unfortunately, it's Li-on.

rgds

Bill

Thread: nutcracker
02/10/2019 18:25:03

Mick B1 - Sorry, don't know about the serrations - would guess cast-in; doesn't retain the kernel, it falls into the tray. PGK x2 - the actual thread is 'buttress(y) so presumably Acme or square.) Source, as with so much of my bits and pieces was a charity shop!

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest