By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: B&D workmate
26/04/2021 09:59:02

Until it was stolen by the 'builders', I had one of the original versions (mid 60s), with the thick beechwood clamps. It was one of the first 'tools' I bought after getting married and I recall part of the instructions contained a warning, something like -

" When using this device while sitting astride, be VERY cautious when closing the jaws !"

... manufacurers with a sense of humour are, regrettably, rare !

rgds

Bill

Thread: Band saw blades
12/04/2021 10:27:58

Jim and Robin - thank you both.

My natural sense of timing working well, then !sad

Luckily the 'heaviest' bits are 95% done, so 'Armstrong' will have to do.

rgds

Bill

11/04/2021 21:18:48

Another broken blade - on an Axminster standard twi wheel machine.

I shall be looking to Tuffsaws for a replacement but I can't find an appropriate listing on their website. I want a bi-metallic for metal work - can anyone suggest the correct detail to ask for, please?

rgds

Bill

Thread: Hauser watchmakers machinery
08/04/2021 09:11:45

Lovely machinery ! My first mill/drill was a Hauser jig borer - built like the proverbial outhouse with a capability way beyond my skill level. The paint scheme on that (original, as far as I know) was a darkish green/grey - certainly not black.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Boremaster Tiplap Grinder
27/03/2021 10:04:09

Andy(dextrous?) - if you are able, I would appreciate a copy of the manual, also. Happy to add a nominated charity contribution plus any costs.

T I A

rgds

Bill

Thread: Was Draw Filing ever a chargeable offence in the RAF?
25/03/2021 10:42:23

How odd ! Not an engineer, but at Brize, I used to 'haunt' the Station Workshops for cast-off materials and advice for modelling. One such offering was always to draw-file the edges of aluminium off-cuts at the area of bending, to avoid cracks at these stress points. Certainly worked for me !

rgds

Bill

Thread: Electric motor for L C Mason's Small Lathe
10/02/2021 13:48:08

Still have the part complete bits from an attempted build some 30+ years ago. I intended to use a Parvalux, which, from memory, was around 100 watts. I based it on the Unimat 3, which I still have, but was a bit concerned that the plain bearings might have needed slightly more. I would have thought that Parvalux would still have something suitable in their range.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Peatol Lathe
02/01/2021 10:23:24

I have one, surplus to requirements, if you are determined to go down that path. It would require some effort to 'unearth' it and, from memory, it would have a 3 jaw chuck and the milling accessory.

PM if seriously interested.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
22/12/2020 10:17:50

The following may be of more interest to Andrew, but for anyone interested in fliying, unpowered or powered, there are lessons to be learned.

Two people owe their continued existence to the (lack of) height of a geographical feature and the stress capacity of a set of wings!!!

**LINK**

Festive wishes

Bill

Thread: Seen It All Now - Bah Humbug
18/12/2020 09:51:58

Interesting ! - the lady in question was an acquaintance some time back and the original scenes and animals depicted were from 'live' subjects. The business has expanded enormously and (I understand) Jacqui was 'taken over' during the process. I suspect that, like most such transitions, the original ethos has been lost to modern commercial practice. We lived on the other side of 'The Green' which features and, ME-wise, John Wilding lives close by.

Re. Xmas, loathe it, personally, but m'lady is a fan, 'so needs must ...'

For various reasons, roll on 2021!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Christmas Cracker Jokes .. and similar
07/12/2020 14:13:57

Q. What do cannibals who live in the jungle eat?

A. Snake and pygmy pie

Sir Lancelot arrived at an isolated country house in a raging storm with a lame horse. He asked for a replacement but the owner had none. He did, however, have a giant mastiff and suggested that as an alternative. Sir Lancelot said - " You wouldn't send a knoght out on a dog like this"

... and there's the dyslexic, insomniac,atheist who lies awake thinking about dog.

...enough, enough, already!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
02/12/2020 11:57:11

Martin - Possible, but AAR practice is usually done on a 'race-track' tow-line in the Wash area. We (N Norfolk coast) seem to get daily 'one-on-ones' overhead.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Scroll Saw
28/11/2020 09:53:38

Timing is everything! I have a spare Hegner single speed to be disposed of which would have suited your budget. Good luck with your machine Selecting the right blade (manufacturer and type) is the problem area!

rgds

Bill

Thread: New Toys Day!
22/11/2020 10:04:52

Anyone hazard a guess as to how much it's worth?

It's worth, to you, whatever you paid for it.

Its worth, to anyone else, is whatever they are prepared to pay for it.

I find it strange (and not a little irritating) that a hobby/interest primarily based on tool usage, constantly harps on about whether or not it was a "bargain". Seems to me that the criteria should always be - does it work, if it doesn't, can it be fixed, do I have a use for it, etc.? Unlikely, however that practicality will outweigh the 'gloat' factor!wink

rgds

Bill

Thread: Tri-Leva decal artwork?
13/11/2020 11:52:15

A decent photo editing programme and some water transfer printing paper on a colour printer (laser preferably) might work??

rgds

Bill

Thread: Recommendations for a good/decent mobile hoist?
12/11/2020 10:18:51

The pic is of a bodged up unit based on a used mobility scooter car lift - so weight limited to that sort of range. Base mounting is a 7" x 7" steel plate and I clamp it to a castered trolley/table for mobility.

img_0114a.jpg

rgds

Bill

Thread: Parkside (Lidl) Cordless Angle Grinder
05/11/2020 11:36:36

Thank you Adrian - sounds like a possibility ... and an excuse to browse the 'boys' toys' section!!

rgds

Bill

05/11/2020 10:07:39

Adrian - it is becoming clear that there are varying versions of the grinder being sold by Lidl. The original version (mine) was fixed speed and the newer ones have speed variation. My type are no longer produced - possibly just as well. The theory for thir 20v range was, apparently, that they would use a common battery type. I assumed, therefore, that the (still working) battery from the grinder would be useful for other tools in their range - not so! The body mounting slots are about 3 mm wider than my other 20v unit so unusable. Other users might find it worth checking.

rgds

Bill

Thread: lead acid battery charging, will this work
04/11/2020 21:23:27

Thank you, Robert and Peter - The grinder is a Lidl branded 20v item and dismantling it (VERY tricky) shows a compact installation with a thin oblong completely sealed unit between the battery and the on/off switch. This, I assume, contains the monitor and balance functions and is (for all practical purposes) internally inaccessable. The monitor item I was considering was somewhat simpler than your item, Peter, having built-in digital voltage read-outs and (I assumed) intended to be wired directly between the battery and on/off switch to give real-time battery voltage state. The thought was to monitor this value and stop using the grinder when the indication was at an appropriate (rechargeable) level. The supplied charger has all the necessary protection circuits and is fully serviceable, as is the battery pack (at the moment). There are probably difficulties which I haven't appreciated due to lack of knowledge - hence the call for advice.

rgds

Bill

Thread: What air compressor should I buy?
04/11/2020 11:56:26

"You want quiet then its either belt drive or Hydrovane. "

My Bambi is most definitely quieter than anything else I have heard in action.

rgds

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest