By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cornish Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Cornish Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Parkside (Lidl) Cordless Angle Grinder
27/10/2020 14:49:44

Just to update my earlier input re. the Lidl cordless angle grinder.

I did as suggested by inf and RMA above. Quite exceptional! - almost nil waiting to get through, a quick, to-the-point Q&A and an assurance that I would be fully reimbursed as they couldn't replace. Passed them my bank details, nothing for 8 days, then message to say full repayment made to my account. The machine may be crap, but that sort of customer service is excellent and I passed on my compliments.

Since ther was no request for the item's return, I am exploring the possibilities of restoring some of its function and have a separate thread seeking info.

Thanks to all and well done Lidls!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Cordless tool electronics
27/10/2020 12:07:42

Thank you to all responders - I understand the potential problems.

The angle grinder has been used on two occasions only and it just stopped with no warning and no smoke. Opening it up shows no signs of internal component distress, hence the query. I suspect that the electronic, as distinct from the electric, bits are the problem, but I wouldn't know where to start in repairing such. Are these obtainable as 'off-the-shelf' items or are they 'home brew'? All the mechanicals, plus charger and battery are fine, so, any suggestions other than the bin?

rgds

Bill

27/10/2020 10:13:59

It seems that most (all?) li-on battery powered tools incorporate some sort of electronic interface between the battery and the motor. They seem to be a potential (and actual) source of trouble. The only information I have found demonstrates by-passing this interface and just making a 'normal' battery-switch-motor circuit - which worked. This being so, what is the purpose, and importance, of this extra bit of circuitry?

I am aware that in the aviation world these batteries are viewed with suspicion and caution. Should we be similarly concerned?

rgds

Bill

PS I am considering 'repairing' a cordless angle-grinder using this method.

Thread: More on Austin cars
16/10/2020 10:19:24

My first car was a pre- WW2 Austin 8, bought in '56 in Aden. In retrospect (and unsurprisingly), it was lethal. The leaf springs were loose, the steering had over 3/4 of a turn play and the brakes were totally ineffective. An optimistic visit to a local 'garage mechanic' in Crater gave no improvement but resulted in one of the rear wheels detaching on the way back. I have no idea what I did with the thing when I left at 'Tourex' - and probably just heaved a sigh of relief!

rgds

Bill

Thread: In flight social distancing
16/10/2020 10:00:57

The following link might be helpful **LINK**

but the contributors are no more qualified, medically, than your average Joe Public.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Looking for a very small lathe.
06/10/2020 17:42:31

I have Cowells, Pultras, Taig, Unimats 3 and SL and two watchmakers lathes. In terms of useability, the Cowells heads the list, followed by the Unimat 3. If I were in your position, with no financial limit, I'd go for the Cowells (new spindle 14 x 1) ; with limited, but reasonably deep pockets, I'd look at the Sherline (local clockmaker has the extended bed version and swears by it).

rgds

Bill

Thread: Martin Cleeve Swing Clear Retracting Toolholder
04/10/2020 10:13:47

I have a pair of swing-up holders (one in use) purchased secondhand, and a bit 'agricultural'. Very handy for allowing easy dimension checks and resetting centre height for different tool sizes. John 'bog-standard' made an example of the self-retracting holder on another forum and seemed very enthusiastic.

rgds

Bill

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
03/10/2020 10:00:51

"playing in the shed" - ??? Would that I could play just a tenth as well as those pics show!sad

The wife of a distant friend was similarly dismissive of his hobby of model soldiers/battle re-enactment etc., and would refer to him as " out in the shed, playing with his privates again !"

rgds

Bill

Thread: Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues
02/10/2020 10:57:46

Neil - of course, you and the Mods are right - standard conversational embargo on Sex, Religion and Politics! Unfortunately, the forum median age would possibly rule out two of those, anyway!blushwink

rgds

Bill

Thread: Machinery hire?
02/10/2020 10:48:13

Just an update.

More in desperation than optimism, I phoned the NNDC yesterday morning. The usual multitude of options brought me, eventually, to a young man who had the remarkable talent to interface with potentially irate callers. He could not have been more conciliatory or helpful and assured me that he would process my query immediately and ensure that I got a response. In the middle of lunch, doorbell rings and a young lady said she was from the Council and was checking on our problem. She assured us we had been added to a list of affected properties and would definitely have the sand cleared in due course!

The exclamation mark of surprise is based on the previous reaction of the same Council when our house was destroyed in the 2013 storm. Totally 'chalk and cheese'! My innate cynicism says 'wait and see', but if things are as indicated I shall ensure that a letter of appreciation is sent. Maybe, ..... just maybe !

rgds

Bill

27/09/2020 10:42:11

Huge thank you to all for those most useful replies. Interestingly, our house features in Ady1's link video (the view showing the sandscaping scheme display - that's our wall).

The various machines available are a 'boys' toys' Xmas list! ... however, the wise counsels will prevailsad

Insurers first, (not hopeful), Council next (cash-strapped, so similar) and then to find a reliable 'man-who-can'. Our treasured long-term 'go-to' man isn't contactable so it will be search and hope.

Thank you all again, it has given much food for thought!

rgds

Bill

26/09/2020 18:47:44

We are just (I hope!) coming to the end of a particulary vicious 2 day gale. It has caused a somewhat difficult problem, in picking up, and dumping vast quantities of sand from the recently installed 'sandscaping' coastal protection. Drive, garden, patio, all buried under tons (literally) of the stuff. Years ago I would have set to with shovel and barrow but at 85, it's not really an option. I am not up to speed on what might be available as personal hire machinery which might suit the purpose. Can any members better informed suggest what might be suitable - one, limited mobility operator 3' width limit for gate access?

TIA

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 26/09/2020 18:48:36

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
26/09/2020 12:22:16

Apart from engendering respect for other creatures or life forms, pets, of whatever type are a huge benefit. As a 'cat person' I find their presence essential and our two are treated similarly to Samsaranda's. Winston Churchill's dictum that " Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you and pigs is (sic) equal" rings true! An Australian bumper sticker, apparently, proclaiming that "Dogs have owners, cats have staff" equally so. Interactions with dogs are pretty straightforward; with cats, much less so but more rewarding when they work. Yesterday's news of the deeds of a giant rat PDSA 'hero' was quite uplifting!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Parkside (Lidl) Cordless Angle Grinder
25/09/2020 10:23:27

Many thanks for those responses. The advice re. phone contact looks to be the way to go. I 'll let you know how I gat on

rgds

Bill

25/09/2020 09:14:21

Back on topic, I bought one of the complete kit versions (from memory) around £80. Expensive, but the no-wire was appealing. What swung it for me was that reassuring Lidl 3 year guarantee. It remained unused for several months and then showed its value on a 'one-off' job. A few weeks later I charged it up for another job, hit the switch and 'click' but no whirr! Checked the battery - absolutely fine. Covid arrived, so no shop visits. At long last, yesterday, managed to get to Lidl to return under guarantee - waste of time!! Their much vaunted "3 year guarantee" is not what it seems. The inevitable 'small print' informs that the item is only guaranteed for return to store "for 12 months". Thereafter it has to go back to the manufacturer (Chinese??). Caveat emptor, indeed!

Looking at the case securing screws, there are two, in particular that are very deep set (anti--'fiddling' device?). Have any members delved inside or have any tips for doing so? Might just as well have a look-see in case it is bodger fixable.

TIA

rgds

Bill

Thread: Reminiscences
21/09/2020 11:09:31

Dave W - Your mention of Sharjah brought back memories of an earlier time there - '56. We used to 'stage' through en-route to Bahrain, Habbaniyah and Cyprus, from Aden, on Valettas. Memories such as multiple weevils baked in bread, Mc Conachies Ready Meal (a tinned stew) to avoid the Mess food. Charlie's steam roller airfield repair - runways were oil soaked sand and needed re-surfacing after a couple of landings and take-offs. Got stuck there for 10 days when it was flooded! Went out in the desert, to recover a stuck Bedford, with 'Shanee' Wallis, a REME sergeant with his six wheel Scammell recovery machine. Also spent a couple of days with the local armourer restacking 1000 pounder bombs in the bomb dump, nervously eyeing 'Bomber' Wigley as he belted 6 inch nails into timber battens to move old stock for new arrivals ... "No point in worrying, if this lot goes, you won't know anything about it!!"

Recently reading Macmillan's diaries, he mentions an international 'incident', which we were involved in, and hadn't realised the significance of, at the time. Buraimi Oasis had, aparently, been infiltrated by the Saudis at the behest of an International oil company and were planning a take-over. We flew down from Sharjah with a 'cash convoy' for the local Trucial Oman Scouts and instructions for their commander. We flew down again the next day and picked up the 'prisoners' who had been rounded up in a 'dawn raid'. I was 'given charge' of these, with the aid of a couple of TOS troops, pike bayonets at the ready and me, with Smith and Wesson drawn, and likely to be more hindrance than help! Never heard it mentioned until reading 'Uncle Harold's ' biography account, 65 years later!

Best thing about Sharjah, (for those of us based in Aden) - air-conditioned accommodation!!! Unheard of at Khormaksar!

Ramble switch OFF!

rgds

Bill

Thread: Why are BA taps so blooming expensive??
21/09/2020 10:12:43

Brian has made a valid point which I was about to query - why insist on the 'design' values? I would suggest that these miniature engines were not designed to that degree and were the product of 'most available'.You aren't making interchangeable components, so adapt to something similar. Given my lack of expertise in this area, I'm possibly missing something ... but what?

rgds

Bill

Thread: which older mill to complement a ML7?
21/09/2020 10:00:39

Cannot disagree with your likely choice, however, a point, which may be relevant, the D-W was designed to be built on ... an ML7! I have my second (a Mk2) having previously had a Mk1; it nicely compliments the Trileva 7b (and all the tooling is compatible.)

rgds

Bill

Thread: Orion (asterism)
19/09/2020 17:32:30

Wish I'd thought of that.

I looked at that - and my brain hurt!!! 2000 light years!! Silly little brain cells can't accommodate the scale of that ... distance that you can see described as a time! Astronomers are a different breed frown

rgds

Bill

Thread: Reminiscences
19/09/2020 17:12:17

MichaelR - well remember the 'battery man' - once a fortnight brought exchange 6v accumulators, LT supply for the Murphy valve radio, the HT being a large 120v battery. Reception was only possible via a long (30'-40' )    aerial strung across the back garden supported on porcelain insulators. Switch on and wait for it to 'warm up' and then fiddle with the tuning knob to get BBC Home Service - "In Town Tonight"; "Saturday Night Theatre", "Dick Barton, Special Agent", "Mrs Dale's Diary"; "Happydrome"; The Archers (and Grace in the barn fire!); "Force's Favourites" for Sunday lunch and, and, and... very occasionally the Third Programme. John Snagge, Freddy Grisewood, Alvar Liddell, Barrington Dolby, Ralph Wightman, Wilfred Pickles ("Give her the money, Mabel" )  Gentle qualities from a different (better?) era.

Outdoor 'privies' with Newspapers serving a useful purpose, Water from wells, Milk delivered straight from the (probably insanitary) milkshed, decanted from a churn into a jug, horses providing farm 'power' with occasional Burrell, Fowler and Aveling and Porter steam, smell and noise for threshing. Steam trains on main and branch lines with soot and cinders in the eyes from leaning out of the leather strap conrtolled windows. Collar-detached shirts with collar studs, boots with hob-nails and 'segs'. Saturday night cinema, 1shilling in the stalls or 1 and 9d in the balcony. Lyons ice cream in the interval and continuous performance throughout the day.

Footballs made from leather and needing 'dubbin' to say pliable, knitted woolen bathing suits which gathered and retained sea-water for hours after immersion. Sandwiches with fishpaste, or cucumber and, once a week a bottle of Corona (non-virus!) Dandelion and Burdock, tripe, fried brains, sheep's head braun. faggots, saffron buns the size of tea-plates, scalded cream in a huge bowl golden and fissured surface waiting to scoop onto fresh-baked scones laden with home-made jam ...

... have to stop there, the keyboard isn't dribble proof1

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 19/09/2020 17:13:20

Edited By Cornish Jack on 19/09/2020 17:14:21

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest