By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Value opinions for used clarke CL500M
23/12/2020 09:37:26

Stuart,

I bought mine second hand from a company I worked for, it was bought for light machining but never used, it had a few extras like steadies, face plate and four jaw chuck, it also came on its original stand, I moved from my van into my garage using an engine hoist, I've had it at least 15 years and used it for making and repairing my stationary engines and recently for making parts for fixtures on clocks.

Its more than accurate for my purposes and I dont see the need for upgrading it for something "better", I'm currently about to start fitting a new motor and a VFD as its slow speed is a bit quick, as suggested adjust your gib strips but first replace your grup screw for longer ones so that you can fit half nuts to lock the screws in place.

I have never used the mill only because I have a mill drill and small horizontal mill in working order.

I've made several things on the machine and happy with its accuracy and finish, I never put anything on display here as none of it runs on steam and is shiny laugh

Martin P

Thread: Cutting copper tube square
21/12/2020 08:49:13
Posted by Martin Connelly on 21/12/2020 08:44:33:

I don't think there was a problem with a pipe cutter if you have one that will do that diameter. Most other suggestions were ways of doing it without spending money on a tool that will only be used once.

Martin C

thanks for that, I'm not a plumber but as someone who used pipe cutters as part of his job I just assumed we all had one.

Martin P

21/12/2020 08:28:10

I've a feeling this is a daft question or I've missed something but whats wrong with a normal pipe cutter to cut a square edge.

Martin P

Thread: Tracking
20/12/2020 16:02:20

My perception of the above must be where you live, in the last six weeks I've ordered from several sources including a small open crank engine from China, due to arrive in January, I've now had it a week, various items from Arc Euro ordered last Sunday and received it Tuesday via postman, I use the tracking they all offer and invariably, particularly Amazon, can watch the van truddle towards me on the computer so I can be at the door when it arrives, nothing is arriving late.

Martin P

Thread: Applause 4 Arc
16/12/2020 16:14:34

+1, ordered three items sunday night and they arrived yesterday morning via the postman, currently looking at ordering other items.

Martin P

Thread: miniature spark plug connectors
15/12/2020 19:23:43

Jason,

Thanks to that, the brass ones look similar to what I use on full size engines.

Will measure tomorrow and send an email.

Martin P

15/12/2020 18:43:08

Gentlemen,

I've treated myself to a small hit and miss open crank engine, it has a tiny spark plug similar to those that are fitted to model aircraft engines, can anybody point me towards a plug cap that I can use instead of the current method of jamming the wire to the plug by plastic tube.

Martin P

Thread: STAR Hit & Miss Engine
12/12/2020 21:22:52

I display stationary engines at steam rally's, I dont own a hit and miss engine but have like you watched many and as you say the miss's can be random. I would like to suggest your problem is more down to the fact that your engine is new and the mechanisms need to bed in and are likely to be sticking, have you tried running it without the governor working so that it fires every stroke or give it a decent load to make it run continuously.

Martin P

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
11/12/2020 20:52:38

For me its just another expensive toy that I've no use for.

Martin P

Thread: clarke cl500 improvements
08/12/2020 10:17:18

I to have a CL500M, I use it regularly and have bought a VFD to improve the machining speeds, its the first time I've read this thread and it annoys me that the first post after your lead wasnt well done nice work but somebody with the need to knock a perfectly good machine, I like your mods and have a few I've collected, one in particular was to replace all of the gib strip adjustment with longer grub screws so that I could fit lock nuts as I found that the gib strips would come loose, I have made a a drawbar so that I can use an MT3 ER32 chuck in the headstock.

Martin P

08/12/2020 10:15:53

I to have a CL500M, I use it regularly and have bought a VFD to improve the machining speeds, its the first time I've read this thread and it annoys me that the first post after your lead wasnt well done nice work but somebody with the need to knock a perfectly good machine, I like your mods and have a few I've collected, one in particular was to replace all of the gib strip adjustment with longer grub screws so that I could fit lock nuts as I found that the gib strips would come loose, I have made a a drawbar so that I can use an MT3 ER32 chuck in the headstock.

Martin P

Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
04/12/2020 19:54:50
Posted by not done it yet on 04/12/2020 19:40:56:

Agricultural vehicles run on diesel - nobody calls it gas oil - but they order diesel, not DERV.

DERV is taxed as it is for Diesel-Engined Road Vehicles (what the abbreviation stands for and gives a clue of why it is taxed so heavily).

Or Duty Exempt Road Vehicle.

Martin P

Thread: Chuck faceplate Clarke for lathes
29/11/2020 21:58:43
Posted by John Forster 1 on 29/11/2020 18:44:10:

Hi Guys,

This is the third attempt at posting this so if it come up three times I apologise.

I have a CL500 M lathe and want to replace the 3 and 4 jaw chucks with a collet chuck. does anyone know if Clarke do one? or can anyone tell me the PCD of the boltholes that hold the chucks to the spindle flange?

Also doe anyone know if Clarke do a QCTP for the said lathe? I bought an online one for a mini latheno completely the wrong one AND it was 'Ali' so soft a clart.

Regards. Any info appreciated, especially if MG has a more detailed diagram of item to in the head stock exploded view

I have a CL500M, Clarke dont have a collet chuck but there is a taper in the spindle nose so I bought an ER collet chuck with the same taper but there is a limitation, you have to make a draw bar which means short jobs.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 29/11/2020 21:59:29

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
29/11/2020 17:43:53

I'm not making anything like what preceeds my post but I am making a punch and die set to punch a a small hole into a piece of 0.6mm thin spring steel to make a suspension spring for one of my clocks.

The die consists of two off 6mm thick by 40mm wide bright mild steel plates that are bolted together to hold the spring strip in place and today I have machined in both pieces a 2mm wide x 4.03mm long slot through both plates.

Some of you may think "and" well I've never used such a small end mill and I didnt know whether my mills maximum speed would be fast enough for the cutter. I first drilled two holes 1.9mm dia, 2mm between centres then very carefully, my machine by the way is a large round column mill/drill, took my cutter into the first hole to a depth of 0,5mm and traversed across to the next hole and then down 0.5mm again until I finally started to break into the second plate, I then unbolted the first plate and carried out the same process until a slot appeared in the second plate. I dont have any power feed so it was very slowly fed by hand and when I had finished both slots I decided to start breathing again.

For what ever reason I decided to but a pair of 2mm dia carbide end mills and I must say I'm pleased with the results and finish.

Just out of curiosity what spindle speed should these cutters rotate at, my Mills maximum speed is just short of 3000 rpm.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 29/11/2020 17:45:54 Spelling mistooks

Edited By martin perman on 29/11/2020 17:49:53

Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
29/11/2020 17:14:18

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to the cold I seem to be able to tolerate it, today I've spent several hours in my garage, with the door shut, with an old fleece top and a very thin body warmer on but I can end up very cold without noticing it, because the NHS makes my footware I'm restricted to what I can wear on my feet so fleece working boots etc are a no no but I've got soft rubber mats that I stand on, not that I can feel the ground I stand on or temperature which I learnt quickly when I stepped into a scalding hot bath a few years ago and burnt mt feet even though I couldnt feel it. I do have a heater in the garage but it doesnt chuck out much and I tend not to turn it on.

Martin P

Thread: Electric vehicles
23/11/2020 21:40:44
Posted by Andrew Firman on 23/11/2020 21:23:00:

What are peoples’ views on the ability of electric cars to tow trailers and caravans? Will it be possible?

I have a friend who has a Mitsubishi Hybrid 4 x 4 who tows a caravan and a museum dispay to rally's and he says when towing the battery side goes out the window very quickly. I use a 4 x 4 to tow my trailer of engines to rallys and can tow 1.5 tons behind me, I know Tesla's can tow but how much I dont know and I doubt the batteries would last and its a totally impractical vehicle if only for the low ground clearance on fields that I attend. The other issue I would have is attending the Dorset Steam Fair for instance 155 miles for me and when I get there there is no where in a field to charge so it sits for six days nad I've then got to get home again, My 2kw generator has difficulties charging my mobility scooter batteries every day so I've no chance.

Martin P

22/11/2020 21:23:22

Several years ago I had some tree's down at the front of the house and the drive rebuilt, the builder had a mini digger on site to pull out the tree roots, while he was clearing the ground around the tree the digger driver spotted a yellow pipe, my gas supply, he stopped and called the builder to come and spot for him and whilst he waited he took the digger 20 feet further away and put the bucket in the ground and came up with a now busted gas pipe, I went indoors and turned the electric off and got my wife outside and phoned the gasboard and within an hour had the advanced guard who cleared the houses either side and checked our lofts, we all stood waiting the repair team to turn up when the village gossip came out of her house and walking towards us light a cigarette, the gas man shouted to her to put it out with no response so he ran towards her screaming all sorts of expletives until she took the hint. The repair team turned up and I asked where do you turn the supply off and was told there are no off valves and the repair was done live with a form of induction heater coil, the leak cost £800 to repair.

Martin P

Thread: Another engineering masterclass
22/11/2020 19:18:37

Alan Millyard is a clever fella, onof his projects was to fit a V10 from a Viper car, he is on the Motorcycle show series as well.

Martin P

Thread: Spares stock...
20/11/2020 16:26:53

Tilt

Edited By martin perman on 20/11/2020 16:28:15

20/11/2020 16:26:52

I don't keep any spares for my machines, belts, bearings and other consumables can be obtained from local sources, I keep a stock of materials and top up as I use it.

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest