By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Guided bus lane
23/12/2021 16:53:32

Look East announced to day on the lunch time news that the Cambridge Guided Bus Lane is being temporarily closed to address safety matters after two recent deaths.

Martin P

Thread: Android GO
12/12/2021 18:55:05

I have one of these, NUU Mobile A5L N5501L - Phone Specifications & Features (whatismyphone.com) does everything I want it to, cost £70 two years ago, works with 4G, takes reasonable pictures, its my second one as I tried to teach the first how to swim smiley

Martin P

Thread: A nice find
07/12/2021 10:20:11

Its a sliding door which reveals two adjustment spanners.

Martin P

05/12/2021 18:56:02

Brian

if I had a brain I would be dangerous, never dawned on me to unscrew the barrel smiley

Martin P

05/12/2021 14:50:56

Thor, Yes I got it for what I am happy with, Johnathan, I thought 7.5" was a strange number but that's what my Vernier measured it at fully assembled with the longest rod and spacer. I couldn't remember the correct name

Martin P

05/12/2021 13:24:35

Gentlemen,

In the next village to me there are two Garden Centres and one of them has a Antique Business in one of its buildings, I usually visit about once a month as he sometimes has some old clocks that interest me, he usually has a few boxes of tools, most not of interest but my last visit had me return home with three toolmakers clamps and a few other goodies.

Yesterday I wondered along to the centre and nice set of engineers compasses and a scriber stand caught my eye, I went to haggle the price and the owner presented to me a wooden box with lids top and bottom and a carry handle at one end, opening one lid I found three micrometers 0-1, 1-2 and a 2-3, two are made by Brown & Sharpe and the third was made by Ambrose & Shardlow Sheffield, I'd never heard of this company so a search was done when I got home.

Turning the box over and opening the other lid was a Starrett Bore micrometer various extension from 2" to 7.5", after a quick haggle it was mine including the other items.

img_8771.jpg

img_8774.jpg

img_8775.jpg

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 05/12/2021 13:25:32

Thread: Is there a demand for Whitworth tools?
04/12/2021 07:30:20

I restore and show Lister Petrol Stationary engines and the threads on these engines are all Whitworth so I use these spanners but I'm always looking for the tools with the Lister name on them, over the years I have collected a few but always looking for anything marked Lister.

Martin P

Thread: Over 70 Driving Licence Renewal
01/12/2021 21:11:00

As a insulin injecting Diabetic I have to renew my licence every three years, I've done this since 2015, at the beginning of this year I received a reminder and went on line for the first time and failed for the same reasons of others, my passport is no longer current and will not be renewed so I filled in the paperwork and posted it off, in eight days I had my new licence.

Martin P

Thread: Eletronic Prescriptions
26/11/2021 20:36:37

I might be slightly biased here, I work for a local Pharmacy on a part time basis, twenty hrs every two weeks, I share the job with another gentleman. I use the doctors web site which I log into every couple of weeks for my wife and I and its random as well, I'm presented with my medication, fifteen items, which have a box to tick if I can order them, no box if I cant, at the bottom of the page there is a comments box if I require items that don't at that time have a tick box. I start by writing good morning I have run out of the following/or soon to and end with thank you. I print a copy so that I know what I've ordered and click send, If I send on the Friday I can walk into the chemist for work on the following Monday and I'm sometimes given my drugs etc or its waiting to be prepared. In all the time I've been diabetic I've only once, a few months ago, not received anything and that was for the needles for my injections and this was because of supply issues by the manufacturer, there are many other manufacturers so with the doctors permission I had another make.

My chemist is ordering and receiving stock on a daily basis, every order is next day deliver but occasionally there is a shortage, this is sometimes topped up by generic items, the items are delivered by me and I have to face verbal annoyance because the generic tablet doesn't "work" even though under law it has to be manufactured exactly the same as the licenced manufacturer created it. The next issue is the verbal abuse the staff in the shop get from customers because the chemist hasn't done their prescription because they haven't received it from the doctors or the ten minute wait for the drugs because the staff and chemist are knee deep in paperwork from the doctors.

Martin P

Thread: Spot the oddity
07/11/2021 19:24:00

I own a 1924 Ruston Hornsby 2 1/2 HP open crank with the vacuum operated inlet valve and I use the valve to allow me to crank the engine up without trying to overcome the compression to start it.

Martin P

Thread: Replacement for thunderbird (emails)
04/11/2021 10:00:59

Gentlemen,

After reading your posts K J Kroeker's I found out how to opt out of S mode and have now got Thunderbird up and running.

Thank you all,

Martin P

03/11/2021 20:56:20

Gentlemen,

Can anybody give me a replacement for Thunderbird, I bought a new computer just over a week ago and this weekend I got around to setting it up then yesterday morning I got a DPC Watchdog Violation which froze the computer tried,supposedly, to sort out the issue, after two plus hours I turned the computer off and after an hour I restarted it, all that happened was the fan started and the CAPS Locking button lamp was flashing so the computer went back to Currys who happily replaced the computer, they didn't have any more of the HP model i'd bought so I had another which cost me another £50, an upgrade so I'm still happy.

I've been setting it up and tried to load Thunderbird but the computer wont accept it, it says I have to turn Windows 10s off which it doesnt want me to do so i'm now looking for a replacement

Martin P

Thread: Anyone updated to Windows11 yet ?
01/11/2021 22:44:18

My week old laptop got W 11 updates yesterday, in relation to my old laptop, both HP machine its considerably quicker but I dont think thats because of W 11 and I dont know whats changed. I have gone from Chrome to Edge not that I can see much different yet.

Martin P

Thread: Microwave Oven
25/10/2021 16:02:13

Rob,

Beryllium is the word your looking for, as said very good insulator but if damaged to powder state is toxic, natural colour is white.

Martin P

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
23/10/2021 12:50:45

In the mid 80's on the maintenance dept where I worked we had a mill wright who was a bit of a Del boy, what ever you wanted he could get and you name it he had been there and done, I was working with him and happened to mention that a few of us in the factory had formed an Aviation Society, he asked me if we would like a look around the AAIB at Farnborough, with a pinch of salt I said yes, next day he gave me a name and number to ring so I rang the chap and found out that I was talking to the mill wrights brother inlaw and he ran the site and when did we want to visit, we filled a large mini bus and enjoyed a good day out.

Martin P

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
22/10/2021 12:18:51

Moles are brilliant but dont assume they go point to point, I had gas installed over thirty years ago it was a direct route from the main to the side of my house with nothing in the way, five years ago I had half my lawn dug up and a concrete drive layed to allow for more vehicles, the mini digger driver asked where the gas line was so we showed him the entry and exit and he went carefully around the area and found no pipe, all good, he then moved away from the area to carry on and after a few minutes brought up the gas pipe, now broken, the pipe went in a curve and cost over £800 to be repaired. the best bit was the village busy body came out of her house and lit up, the gas men politly told her to put the cigarette out which she ignored and kept walking towards my house, one of the gas men screamed which part of put that F'ing cigarette out dont you understand, there were four gas vans and a garden full of engineers and a loud hissing noise and she couldnt see what the problem was. They used a large electric heater to join the pipes together, I talked to one of the gas men afterwards and asked him why they didnt isolate the gas and his answer was that there are no off valves in the general system to turn the gas off.

Martin P

26/09/2021 22:35:33

At a local garden centre with my wife, daughter and grandson this morning when I heard the sound of helicopter blades and spotted a red coloured James Bond style Autogyro passing overhead towards Bedford, something that I've rarely seen except at airshows.

Martin P

Thread: Post Office Deliveries
17/09/2021 08:39:35

We live in a village and apart from a short time where we were getting mail at 19:00 for a few weeks because of sickness, the lady postwoman was doing two rounds to cover, we have had normal deliveries, parcels come around 08:00 and mail comes at 11:00 - 12:00 every day.

Martin P

Thread: They see you coming
09/09/2021 21:26:13

I like others take my cars to our local village garage as does my son in law and daughter, when its finished if I cant collect it its delivered to my house and the bill is on my seat and I pay it the next day, also like others any work is not done until I've been spoken to.

As a slight aside my daughter and our 2 1/2 year old grandson came last Saturday to take grandma out, ten minutes after they left I received a phone call from my daughter to come and find her as whilst waiting at the village junction to the main road she had been rear ended, the young lad who hit her was in a state as he'd found out our grandson was in the car, anyway no injuries just an exchange of details, my daughter drove the car back to our house as we could now not get the rear door open as it was badly out of shape, I had to get my friend to give me a hand to dismantle my wifes mobility scooter and get it out via the rear doors, yesterday the car went off for repair and an hour later the bodyshop rang my daughter to ask how did she open the rear door as they couldnt see how to open it smiley the car is a Ford Ecosport.

Martin P

15/08/2021 08:59:55

Dave,

I'm now using it but yesterday I was loading my trailer with engines for sale for a pending bring and buy with a mate and still two pairs of eyes couldnt see anything, If I go into the house to look at the computer I get have you finished yet from the boss smiley

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest