By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What started your interest?
16/07/2019 10:14:17
Posted by Mick Henshall on 16/07/2019 09:25:53:

Hi Lainchy,

That is spooky my Gramps making Petrolea and he passed in 82 also, currently I am making Rob Roy will I ever finish it !?. Recently got into Suffolk lawnmower engines and that started when in the darkest corner of workshop I found a 1950's engine that Gramp had fitted to a home made circular saw table, I now have 3 engines 2x 75cc and a 98cc.and that won't be the end of the collection

Mick 🇬🇧

Mick,

Be careful, I bought my first Stationary engine over thirty years ago and now have over twenty, restored and waiting, dont leave the engines together as they will breed.

Martin P

16/07/2019 08:44:23

I personally dont do model engineering but my Brother and I were brought up with model engineering and engineering through our Grandfather and Father, Grandad was a taxi driver in London and a self taught model engineer and Dad was an engineering Draftsman so when I came to loooking for work my Brother and I both got engineering apprenticeships with the same company, Grandad made a traction engine and several coal fired steam tugs which we were allowed to assist with, one of our jobs was to break the coal into little pieces to fit the shovel to get into the boilers, we used to tow his Triumph Herald Estate with the 3" scale traction engine and he showed us how to use his lathe to make stuff.

Martin P

Thread: Recent threads
14/07/2019 10:12:39

Gentlemen,

I enjoy reading the various topics that crop up on this forum and learn a lot but recently there seem to be a lot of one upmanship, using acronym's that are difficult to decipher and even swearing, putting people down when they have made an opinion and arguing over sometimes silly points. Why cant we all get along and respect each others views or opinions without reducing it to written abuse.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 14/07/2019 10:14:25

Thread: Electric Cars
13/07/2019 22:43:22

Based on this nobody has an original thought as we are programmed, taught or what ever by our parents and betters. Everything we do or say has originated from somewhere else in the past.

Is it possible to have an original thought?

The answer is yes and no. Yes, there are original ways to express thoughts, ideas, concepts and philosophies, but no, the actual subject upon which these thought, ideas, concepts and philosophies are based on, are not original. ... There's no such thing as originality, just authenticity.

Martin P

Thread: Supaburner's for Model & Toy Steam Boilers Explained
13/07/2019 09:13:05
Posted by Ian S C on 12/07/2019 12:54:46:

Fibreglass wick as for lamp for aromatic oils, or threads pulled from woven fibreglass cloth, think I'v got some of that, it was called Dynel cloth 50 years or so ago, we used it for abrasion resistance on the leading edge of the tailplane of our Cessna topdressing aircraft. I have mad similar burners, but both ends of the burner tube went into the fuel tank, and the burner end consisted of a complete loop with the little hole in the bottom of the loop. I used asbestos string.

On second thoughts don't use Dynel, it,s not fibreglass, but acrilic, I forgot that.

Ian S C

Ian,

I collect campingstoves and have a stove that runs on petrol it is a closed loop as you describe, the burner hole is at the bottom of the rim and when lit is very efficient, the filler cap doesnt have a open whole in the cap, there is one but is has solder over it so that if the stove over heats it melts the solder to dump the pressure, the stove was made in the 40's - 50's possibly earlier.

Martin P

Thread: Electric Cars
12/07/2019 21:21:54
Posted by not done it yet on 12/07/2019 19:46:32:
Posted by Clive Hartland on 12/07/2019 14:31:38:

It would help if all the naysayers would do a little research before posting? Or is it just ‘heads in the sand’ mindset?

I personally dont see the point of searching for something I will never be able to aspire to or afford and I certainly dont have my head buried in the sand.

Martin P

12/07/2019 08:42:15

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is wether people can afford to buy an EV particularly when over a very short period of time petrol, diesel and gas vehicles will depreciate rapidly such that they will not be able to use them as a trade in making it even more expensive to buy a EV or Hybrid.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 12/07/2019 08:43:08

11/07/2019 13:52:38
Posted by Brian G on 11/07/2019 12:53:17:
Posted by 34046 on 11/07/2019 12:36:41:

Not at all mildly depressed - all in favour.

Our Renault Zoe will save us a 15 mile round trip to the nearest petrol station plus the normal 10 minute wait to fill up.

Bill

Edited By 34046 on 11/07/2019 12:49:59

Only if you have the facility to charge at home, for me it would be a 30 mile round trip to the nearest charging station and a 75 minute wait. In reality I wouldn't be going though, as the reduced luggage space on most electric cars would mean my wheelchair wouldn't fit.

Brian

I have to mobility scooters to carry and my hobby in a trailer, I will stick with diesel estate thank you plus my wife and I cant afford a second hand electric vehicle, on radio 4 yesterday they discussed this subject and one chap rang in and said he bought one and all was well until it packed up and he got quoted £8000 for a battery pack for the car, I could by a good second hand diesel with that.

Martin P

Martin P

Thread: Universal T milling machine from Chester : Issue with Starting
10/07/2019 18:25:34
Posted by MOHAMMED MECHERI on 10/07/2019 08:36:27:

@Jasn B : I tried it. I pulled the emergency stop. but it still the same

Mohammed, you say you pulled the EM stop but did you turn it clockwise as the arrows moulded on the button indicate, you need to twist clockwise and pull.

Martin P

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
06/07/2019 12:45:18

According to two company websites there are two FB11's at Duxford, the owners of the P47's FB11 is camoflaged with pale blue undersides, the other companies is silver but they both have clipped wing tips, Andrew has to confirm if he noticed invasion strips if yes its the P47 smiley

Martrin P

05/07/2019 08:43:12

Andrew,

There is a P47 that belongs to the company who keep the two seater ME109 and two seater spitfire at Sywell **LINK**

Martin P

Thread: Treppaning a flywheel
03/07/2019 20:58:50
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 03/07/2019 19:39:23:

+1 on a round insert tool. Had to grind a bit of extra relief so the bottom of the holder didn't foul.

Silly me, I forgot to mention about the tool relief underneath.

Martin P

03/07/2019 18:45:16

I recently made four rollers, also similar to yours in size, I used a round insert tool set up similarly to yours I also had 45 deg set on the top slide because the outer edge needed a 45 deg on it, To give me a guide I blued up the face to see where the two edges were then plunged in up to 1mm with the traverse then used the crossslide to move to the boss in the centre and treversed out. This was done until I had gone in up tp 5mm deep, it took a while but worked well.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 03/07/2019 18:46:26

Thread: What do you use your lathe for?
03/07/2019 08:37:47

I make/repair parts for my Lister engines I restore, make new parts for friends and repair anything else thats broken.

Martin P

Thread: Mystery Bamford engine
26/06/2019 11:25:36

Pat,

Just PM'd you with my Mag repairer details, ring him after 18:00 though.

Martin P

26/06/2019 10:38:42

Wico,Lucas, ML single cylinder mags all have accessible capacitors

Martin P

26/06/2019 08:41:35

The early magneto's can be reversed but it usually means new mechanical parts including the impulse couplings, changing the direction of a magneto without parts is possible but its not easy and can be hit and miss trying to find the sweet spot. A single cylinder magneto would make life easier to set up and things like the capacitor are usually mounted in the magneto cap and not the windings.

If you can wait until November there is a big bring and buy sale held here where you may find another magneto and parts for the engine.

Martin P

Saturday 2nd November

Cotswold Oil Engine and Preservation Society

Bring and Buy Sales

Oakley Airfield, Worminghall, Bucks HP18 9PH

25/06/2019 22:08:15

Nigel,

The engine has been confirmed as a 2 1/2hp tulip top by a collector of Bamford open cranks and would have had a Webster magneto.

Pat as SM has suggested check the condensor/capacitor.

Martin P

25/06/2019 18:55:19

Pat,

The correct magneto would be a Websters low tension type, sadly you dont appear to have the mechanism to operate it, which is why it was modified to use a high tension magneto.

if you have not done so remove the points and give them a good clean particularly the contacts as they oxide up, how good is the surpressor/condensor this will kill the spark if dead and remove the coil and put a meter across the two main connections if it reads a dead short it needs rewinding but as you have a spark its unlikely. You may also have a weak magnet, it can be all sorted but I dont know a local mag repairer in your area, my local man is in Wellingborough.

Martin P

25/06/2019 16:28:20

There is a family connection, if you go to this website you can read about the history **LINK**

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 25/06/2019 16:29:43

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest