By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quality issues with a SIEG SX2.7 mini mill
21/02/2019 17:37:41
Posted by HOWARDT on 21/02/2019 15:42:14:

Our hobby machines, I use a Sieg SC3 lathe and a SX2P which I bought three years ago, new. Both machines have been partially stripped for one reason or another more than once, and some improvements (as far as I am concerned) made in that time. But other than checking tailstock alignment, I haven't bothered with any other accuracy checks. Once you start chasing microns as a hobby machinist you would be better to walk away and find another hobby, you will never be satisfied. The drawings from LSBC or whoever have no tolerances, so if two bits fit together and look about right then that is it, What ever we produce is a kit of parts which with varying degrees of hand fitting may produce a finished working assembly. Alright in the past model engineers probably got a few of the more accurate parts produced on the side at work but they also had less accurate machines with no DRO, but any of these where probably time served indentured engineers. Work with what you have and strive to achieve the fits required by thoughtful processes.

In the late 70's I found myself finishing my engineering apprenticeship and at my new bench as a machine tool fitter, having learnt the theory and the basics I was about to learn the proper stuff, I was let alone on some jobs on the understanding that if I had a problem I was to call for assistance, I worked on Multi spindle lathes, single spindle turret lathes, Index's usually and as time passed I began to shadow other fitters working on centerless grinders, external and internal grinders, one of the makes of machine was UVA internal grinders and we had approx fifty of them in the factory, these machines ground the internal bores of Diesel fuel injectors and were maintained by a couple of fitters who new their stuff, I was left in their care to learn about the machines and they showed me how to chase microns, they mounted a TDI on the nose of a grinding spindle set it to zero and got me to place my hand on the spindle and after a while the TDI dial started to move, this exercise was to show what I was going to be working against as when a operator said he had a two micron bump in a bore, we had had to find and sort it and the fitters wanted me to see how difficult it was likely to be.

Martin P

Thread: Model Engineering ca 1919
21/02/2019 09:50:09

What a lovely book, I can only hope my paternal Grandfather learned his model steam knowledge from similar publications.

Martin P

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
20/02/2019 21:09:27

They must have skirted around the edges of Bedfordshire on the way up from Duxford. As far as Look East was concerned they went from Duxford to High Wycombe direct.

Martin P

20/02/2019 20:57:16

The reason people buy Chinese is they are 'value for money' and - for many purposes - 'fit for purpose'. Has anyone ever proved by turning a mild steel rod to size that a Super 7 produces more accurate results than a mini-lathe? No. The Super 7 might do the job faster, but with a little care a mini-lathe will produce an identical result. For many people that's plenty "good enough".

Dave

I bought a second hand Clarke CL500M, which to many is the lowest of the low in the mini lathe world, and dont regret a minute of it, I manage to make parts for my stationary engines to the required tolerances required. I've had to tinker to make the lathe how I want it but working on machine tools is what I did in my working life, it cuts threads albeit a little fast and can produce a good finish when needed. I go to exhibitions and look at nice shiny new lathes and think can that do any better than my lathe at home.

Martin P

20/02/2019 17:29:47

Was out about the North Bedford area this afternoon and still didnt see them.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 20/02/2019 17:32:14

Thread: Can anybody help.
20/02/2019 10:50:15

Gentlemen,

A friend of mine has recently bought one of the engines on EBay and he is interested in finding out about the engines manufacturer, assuming that is what the label is for.

Can anybody help please.

Martin Pnicks engine.jpg

20/02/2019 09:10:49
Posted by Ketan Swali on 19/02/2019 16:19:42:
Posted by Martin Hamilton 1 on 19/02/2019 14:08:06:

The certificates issued by most reputable factories are correct and issued after the machines have been assembled and accuracy adjusted after assembly, at the factory. We are regularly offered these certificates, and I have seen the checkers do their job to check the accuracy. But ARC refuses to accept these certificates because we don't know what will/will not effect the machine until it is installed. So, in this respect, the certificate is only true at the point just before the machine is packed in a 'reputable' factory, wherever it is from in the world. This holds more true for 'lighter' machines, built in this way. e.g. SX2.7 is light, and a Bridgeport is heavy.

Ketan at ARC.

As an ex machine tool fitter I would not be allowed to issue calibration certificates until the machine in question had been checked at the factory by the customer and then after it had been installed at the customers site after manufacturing test had shown the machine was as described and depending on the size and type of machine it could take days or weeks to acheive.

Martin P

19/02/2019 16:41:55

According to the time table they should have been in the Bedford area around 13:20 but didnt see hide nor hair of them.

Martin P

Thread: National Trust and Gift Aid
17/02/2019 19:46:37

today I visited a local museum and politely declined gift aid for the reasons above.

Martin P

Thread: Can it be cut - and still operate?
14/02/2019 14:34:54

I have just cut 26mm off another make without any issues.

Martin P

Thread: Y axis problem
13/02/2019 21:07:14

Andy, Jason,

I dont wish to highjack this thread but Ive never worked with this machine code before but is it as simple as I think it is.

Nxxx line no

T type of cutter

S speed

G coordinates

X,Y,Z Axis

R radius

% end program

F feedrate

M Motor

H home position

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 13/02/2019 21:08:00

Edited By martin perman on 13/02/2019 21:10:11

Edited By martin perman on 13/02/2019 21:12:11

Thread: Talktalk new web site
09/02/2019 20:08:38
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 09/02/2019 20:04:59:

Which version of Windows are you using? (half expects "Windows 95"

If Vista or later why not try Windows Mail

Thunderbird works fine, but is clunky.

I wouldn't want to be without Outlook though.

Neil

Neil, What do you mean by clunky, its not how I would describe it, for me it does what does quickly and with no issues.

Martin P

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
07/02/2019 17:21:50

Spent most of the day in and out of my garage tinkering but got fed up with the wind which kept shutting the up and over door, tried to find a piece of wood long enought, no joy so settled for a length of copper tube until I could see the pipe bending. Going in for my lunch I spotted the obvious, my wifes extendable clothes prop, I went to Argos to buy one and after cutting the hook off and making a top hat pressed into the tube I now have a door stop. As to time in the garage I've been busy cleaning up and sorting tools and started to make a table for my bandsaw, when in vertical mode.

Martin P

Thread: Piston rings too thick
06/02/2019 21:45:49

Thick piece of glass with fine emery cloth laid on it then put some water on the cloth and carfully rub back and forth checking for size every other pass.

Martin P

Thread: Wickman tangential screwcutting tool
06/02/2019 21:42:32

Served my apprenticeship as a machine tool fitter on Wickman 6 and 8 spindle multi spindle lathes, was taught how to make the cams that drove the slides with the tooling fitted, wouldnt have a clue now smiley

Martin P

06/02/2019 16:58:45
Posted by Rik Shaw on 06/02/2019 15:26:29:

Just back from a short trip to our local Emmaus to check for anything interesting bookwise. Bought a book titled "British Steam Engines" and another on the history of Sywell aerodrome.

I could not help admiring the lovely German made grandfather clock they had which chimes beautifully on the quarter, half and the hour and has moving moons.

So I bought that as well. moonclockmoon

Got home and realised we had forgotten the milk.

Rik

Not been there with my wife for a while and when we go there is not usually stuff I like and now I know why laugh

Martin P

Thread: Trends in Radio Ads
06/02/2019 13:05:17

I listen to Radio 4 whenever I'm driving and those programs pop up during my day and I've never noticed what your speaking about, one thinks that your concentrating to much on the Radio and not on editing the magazine laugh

Martin P

Thread: Neil:- Is the spelling chucker broken?
05/02/2019 09:18:06

Just changed settings as per Neil instructions for W10, still doesnt work.

Martin P

Thread: Is it a drone?
04/02/2019 10:41:13

The birds for me said it all, if they were happy then its perfect.

Martin P

02/02/2019 17:48:16

I have changed the linear scale on my mill/drill table this morning, my old one died two years ago but I didnt find the same type and make until my recent visit to the London model engineering exhibition, I had to cut 26mm off of the dead end to make it fit my mounts which having looked at the old scale I had done the same to that. After a lunch/warm up break I decided to clean, service and adjust backlash on my lathe. The cross slide had backlash so I drove the slideway off the leadscrew then removed and cleaned the nut, I then gave the the adjusting screw a half turn on the split nut then replaced it and pulled the slide onto the leadscrew and checked the play to find my first attempt had been enough. I then got the garage vacuum up and running and deswarfed the lathe particularly between the coolant tray and the bed underside, I found drills, taps, centre drills, spanners, pieces of bar stock, allen keys all of which I have replaced as I thought I'd lost them all smileyno micrometer spanners though.

My leadscrews run in bushes at the handle ends and the bushes are held in place with grub screws, which have a habit of undoing, this also includes the tailstock I want to use thread lock but need to clean the oil from the threads can anybody suggest a cleaner, preferably an aerosol with a tube to get into the threads.

I finished with a good oil up of all the leadscrews and slideways, indoors now watching the England six nations game.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 02/02/2019 17:52:07

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest