By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
04/07/2020 20:08:58
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 04/07/2020 18:19:22:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 04/07/2020 16:31:31:

I'm amazed an £80k Management candidate was expected to order a Fire Door. That's emphatically not a management skill! Good managers rarely need practical skills,

smiley

Dave

I wonder what some of our older forumites might think about your comment about managers not needing practical skills!!!

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 04/07/2020 18:20:12

+1 for the above, I served my time on a maintenance dept where the management were all ex fitters, electricians etc when you got given a job you knew they knew what they were talking about and they helped you through if you had issues, my last job was made difficult because my educated manager had no idea what the problems were and didnt want to know and only wanted to take the customers side to keep them sweet and I and others were only lambs to the slaughter if we couldnt sort the problems in an impossible time.

Martin P

Thread: SORTING OUT MY 4X6 BANDSAW
01/07/2020 18:58:46

Just to buck the trend once fitted I dont release the tension on my bandsaw blades and I can go weeks between cutting jobs.

I use a local saw doctor to me and they make my blades with no issues.

Martin P

Thread: Indian stationary engine of interest to Martin Perman ?
28/06/2020 20:17:56
Posted by Rik Shaw on 28/06/2020 18:33:25:

Knowing that Martin likes his stationary engines I wondered if he would be interested in this one!

**LINK**

Rik, thank you for that, I've actually seen it before but it still brings a smile, a very good go at a Lister CS single cylinder diesel which the Indians are now making well engineered copies of.

Martin P

Thread: Yipee the F1 is back on
28/06/2020 20:07:01

Touring cars better F1 is now a hight speed parade and I dont have or want SKY

Martin P

Thread: West Yorkshire Police
27/06/2020 11:51:55

Barrie, you said you avoided hitting the car in front so you were either stopped or hardly moving, are the air bag sensors set to go off above a certain speed which when you went under the othe car wasnt exceeded plus under breaking your nose was low enough to go under the rear of the car which didnt set the sensor off under impact.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 27/06/2020 11:53:53

26/06/2020 21:09:32

Doesnt it seem strange that he was in the outside lane when he was hit, Its the offside rear quarter thats taken the hit, if he had had a failure the car that hit him would have most likely hit him square on, it looks as if he was moving into the lane.

Martin P

Thread: Mamod safety valve
26/06/2020 18:09:56
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 26/06/2020 15:51:23:

I don't what you reckon your time is worth, but new Mamod safety valves are only about a tenner from Forest Classics and no doubt others as well.

Nick,

Its not about how much my time is worth its the fact that I'm capable of making one, I dont make engineering models I make parts whilst restoring old stationary engines to get them running again and making the safety valve is easy enough but I have to get the spring correct otherwise it will leak or damage the boiler hence my question.

Neil,

I dont have any access to ME magazines.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 26/06/2020 18:14:24

26/06/2020 14:00:25
Posted by Steve Withnell on 26/06/2020 09:13:53:

Hi Martin, what thread sizes did Mamod use for the boiler fittings? (Whistle, valve, drain). Dad has a couple or three engines with the various bits missing.

Steve

Steve,

Good afternoon, the safety valve and whistle are 1/4" BSF and the water drain plug is 3/16" BSF.

Thank you,

Martin P

26/06/2020 08:03:17

Thank you all,

I will take on your thoughts, I dont want to redesign the valve just make a new one, the spring being the main issue.

Martin P

25/06/2020 14:49:00

Gentlemen,

I was given A Mamod TE1A Traction engine for my Birthday when I was fourteen and forty two years later I want to refurbish it, I would like to make a new safety valve, I am aware I could buy a new one but I have the means and ability to make and test one, the operating pressure is 10 - 12 psi, my only problem is how do I calculate the spring required and again I could measure my old one but then I learn nothing.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 25/06/2020 14:50:36

Edited By martin perman on 25/06/2020 14:52:02

Thread: Clarke CL500M Mill Head
16/06/2020 18:46:30

Robert,

Ive just found this thread, did you fix the mill on your lathe.

Martin P

Thread: Generating force to cap beer bottle
13/06/2020 09:02:11

Automation systems tend to use Pneumatics or hydraulics because they are, relatively speaking, quick, efficient, cheap and easy to use, there is normally only two sensors on a cylinder so electrically simple as well and the force required can be easily obtained, as they say no point re inventing the wheel, when building the unit you may find the the cost of a compressor, a couple of valves and a cylinder would out way that of the controls, gearbox, motor and time required to get a different method working.

Martin P

Thread: Hermes Parcels
10/06/2020 19:17:07

I received two clocks via Hermes recently, both with large glass parts, all fragile stickers intact and all in good working order inside and out, I will say that suppliers packed them very well.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 10/06/2020 19:17:50

Thread: component tester
07/06/2020 22:02:07

Duncan,

I was installing a robot many moons ago on an Injection moulder and when I powered it up I accidently pressed the language button which immediately turned everything on the screen to japanese, I only had an english manual and had to contact my japanese collegues to tell me how to get it back to english. The R in the round makes me think its a register mark refering to the square of characters on its left, do you have multi lingual instructions that you can look at to see if there is some way of getting it back to english.

Martin P

Thread: paint colour
05/06/2020 21:31:52

Is that a model of Greene King 841, I'm just curious if it was the green that the Greene King Brewery used on their signs and wether there was a connection with the Brewery.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 05/06/2020 21:33:00

Thread: Good way of attaching instructions to a painted surface
04/06/2020 20:34:14
Posted by AdrianR on 04/06/2020 17:43:13:

I recently discovered that you can get water slide decal paper for your inkjet. Apparently print what you want, spray with clear spray varnish and put on like the old fashioned water transfers.

You could put another couple of costs of varnish over it after it has dried.

Adrian

+1 for this, I recently acquired a tractor and trailer for my 14 month old grandson and the stickers on them have come off, his name is Oliver and there was a company who built tractors called Oliver so I'm making new transfers for the tractor, I've already made names for his drinking bottles at Nursery which worked out well.

Martin P

Thread: Machines and equipment sourcing chronology...
01/06/2020 18:48:42

Just out of curiousity what are the benefits of a rear tool post, I would have to extend my cross slide as it wouldnt be long enough and I couldnt use the power feed unless I could turn towards the tailstock.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 01/06/2020 18:49:18

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
01/06/2020 08:48:21

Nigel this **LINK** is for a 2007 Kangoo, hope it helps.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 01/06/2020 08:49:36

31/05/2020 22:56:08

I have started to make a foot operated sprung latch to keep our back door open during this warm session, its now on hold as I dont have any M5 countersunk screws so onto my second project and I'm making an adjustable traverse axis stop with a half inch micrometer barrel for fine adjustment on my lathe but that also came to a stop as I dont have any M5 countersunks for that either, I will ring around tomorrow to see what I can get.

Martin P

31/05/2020 08:37:11
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 31/05/2020 00:51:26:

Un filter perdu, a boiler still not yet mounted, and lights confirmed...

'

A somewhat lazy day but I cleaned the inside of the car, a wheelchair-converted Renault Kangoo, and finally replaced its broken mirror - I've booked the MoT for Wednesday. (I'd struck the mirror on an overhanging hedge-branch, losing half the glass; but enough remained, held in with lots of duct tape, to be useable.)

I remembered an "advisory" from last year (year before?) about changing or cleaning the pollen filter I never knew it had. It's not called that in the Owner's handbook, which does include things my version does not have, but of course neither is its location given!

The Internet yielded only fair to poor videos of changing the filter on the new Renault Kangoo. Still, they gave a clue as to where it might be.

Thinking about it, the ventilation system could well be clogged because it emits far more noise than hot or cold air; and in some conditions demisting necessitates using a squeegee every few minutes. This though is a modern (ish) car, so Goodness only knows where they've hidden any of the system. As a neighbour put it, it would have been designed by people who came straight from university and had never serviced a car in their lives!

'

Nigel,

The usual trick is to access the filter either via the glove box, will need removing, or under the bonnet, passenger side, you may need to remove the valance bonnet seal to remove the valance, it maybe in their.

Martin P.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest