By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
04/12/2019 09:51:02

I've always wondered why Ford never mad a Ka si

Martin P

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
01/12/2019 22:50:52

A slight aside, I was sent to Martin Baker's site on the Isle of Man to service some machine tools many moons ago, I had never been before and when I walked out of the Airport building I got into a cab and said the Martin Baker Factory please, he drove 50yds and did a 180 deg turn and 50 yds again on the other side of the carriageway stopped and said there you are sir no charge. Silly me.

Martin P

01/12/2019 19:52:47
Posted by Martin Connelly on 01/12/2019 17:26:00:

From experience I can state that sonic booms and ejection seats going off sound very similar.

Martin C

Martin,

As a passenger I wouldn't be to chuffed if I heard a bang and saw a flash from the front of a passenger plane cheeky

Martin P

01/12/2019 15:02:54

As an aviation enthusiast I've never heard a sonic boom and even though im only 35 miles from Buncefield I never heard that either but I dont have a problem with RAF sonic booms when allowed as its much better than a rogue aircraft any day.

Martin P

Thread: Heavy Duty Castors
27/11/2019 18:09:41

john,

A quick search found a cast iron furniture castor capable of 113kg for £19.00 ea

martin p

Thread: Royal Mail tracking
22/11/2019 20:37:52

I must say I'm not surprised parcels etc dont get delivered to properties, I have a part time job delivering medication for a local chemist and its amazing how many door bells that dont work and knockers that have been silenced, I have to knock seven bells out of some doors to get attention, If I slip a note through the door and leave within half an hour I've had a message to go back and I then get my ear bent "BECAUSE THEY WERE IN"

Martin P

Thread: A unlucky accident
21/11/2019 13:25:39

Gentlemen,

I received a phone call the other evening from a friends wife, my friend, late 60s/70s, had asked her to ask me to help sell his Stationary engines, I enquired why because during the year we rally together and no mention had been made. His wife told me he had been in the Lister Hospital for the last eleven weeks, they had visited their son and my friend went with their son into the garage where for reasons unknown he fainted, unfortunately he banged the back of his neck on the way down and is now paralised from the neck down and waiting to be transfered to Stoke Manderville Hospital, sadly it seems that he is to remain that way, Life can be a bugger sometimes.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 21/11/2019 13:26:47

18/11/2019 17:09:21
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 18/11/2019 16:48:29:

Good grief, you need to be poised over the keyboard ready to post these days, or you get gazumped!

The Skyvan morphed into stretched versions, the Shorts 330 and 360. The wing always looked far too small, especially for an aircraft that could operate from relatively short runways.

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Johnston on 18/11/2019 16:49:03

Sorry Andrew devil I've been out doing my part time delivery job this afternoon and when I got home I made SWMBO and I a cup of tea and I sat down with it and saw an email and answered the thread, I may not know much but aircraft recognition is as you know an interest of mine.

Martin P

18/11/2019 16:39:11

Martin,

Its a Short SC7 Skyvan made by Shorts of Belfast, **LINK** they tend to be used these days as a bus for parachutists.

Martin P

Thread: A simple material stand for a power saw
17/11/2019 20:43:43

Gentlemen,

This maybe of no interest to anybody but I'm about to start cutting long lengths of 4" x 4" box section to make an engine trolley for my Lister M ready to show next season, I needed a stand to support the steel box whilst cutting to length and came up with the following.

I have a pair of axle stands, (1st picture) I took one as the base of the stand and removed the piece the car sits on, (2nd picture) I then took a Dexion tension piece that holds self assembly racking together and after measuring the height from the floor to the saw vice table cut the tension piece from the top of the flat face to the correct point along the tube, I then cut off the upright angled piece off and cleaned up the edges and (3rd picture) finally placed the the tube into the stand.

One simple but useful support for my saw and its also still an axle stand.

Martin P

img_20191115_151629.jpg

img_20191115_151651.jpg

img_20191115_151732.jpg

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
13/11/2019 17:30:09
Posted by Martin Kyte on 13/11/2019 14:55:30:

Whatever you want to do in your own workshop and whatever you think of Health and Safety you cannot refute the fact that workplace injuries and deaths have reduced considerably over time. See Charts 5 to 7

**LINK**

regards Martin

Martin,

Interesting reading but it relates to industrial injuries, I would assume most of us me included are either semi or fully retired, apart from household management who would we report our injuries to, I conjecture when asked by a doctor/nurse we would tell a little white lie to hide our embarrassment/stupidity wink

Martin P

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
11/11/2019 16:41:37

Ron,

Unless you were referring to just models, opening the points or exhaust valve were used as govenor control on full size engines for several years until the fuel throttle controlled by govenor became more reliable.

Martin P

Thread: Workshop series
10/11/2019 19:27:45

I have a small library of the workshop series of books and as said read them cover to cover then as and when dip in and out.

Martin P

Thread: Tool Grinder Clamp
07/11/2019 18:27:04

I assume your lubricating it with a mist lubricator when running it.

Martin P

07/11/2019 16:03:26

How big was it, high or low wing, what colour, was it boxy in shape and were the propellors to large for the fuselage.

Martin P

07/11/2019 07:42:10

Going slightly of track I've been using my local saw doctor a lot with them making me new blades for my powered saw, I aksed one day if they could show me their machines and was taken into the workshop where they had a mixture of old and new machines, one machine had a cover over it and I asked if it was still used and was told the the local health and safety office had insisted they fit guarding to it, the company said they couldnt because its design guarding would make it impossible to use so H & E banned them from using it. I think that we who have removed our guards have the same thoughts of the saw company, we use our machines knowing that we have to be careful and adjust our operations to cater for the lack of the guarding most of us use splash guarding which afford some safety but are easily removed to make setting easier. In industry I found that safety issues were addressed by putting physical blocks in the way as it was cheaper long term to do this than to train operators to properly use the machines, I say that knowing that mechanical blocks work and machine operators were cheap labour doing laborious repetative jobs.

Martin P

Thread: New lathe next week
05/11/2019 21:26:59

Nick,

I will PM my email to you for the odd chat.

Martin P

05/11/2019 20:38:41

Well done that man, no more rugby to distract you, shame we lost, all you need now is something to make or repair like a Stationary engine.

Martin P

31/10/2019 15:32:46

My CL500M had the guard removed but I do have a mag base with a large piece of Perspex fitted that travels along  on the traverse, I never stand inline with the chuck.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 31/10/2019 15:33:30

Thread: What to do with a stationary engine
31/10/2019 08:52:33

Gentlemen,

NDIY, the dipper stays the same, the inlet and exhaust are identical and the reverse rotation magneto is different internally to obtain the best spark, Listers used a few impulse magneto's for trials but stuck with non impulse mags overall.

oldvelo, Listers built many reverse rotation engines along side standard engines on the production line to suit customers needs.

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Dec 4th 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest