By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
26/09/2021 22:35:33

At a local garden centre with my wife, daughter and grandson this morning when I heard the sound of helicopter blades and spotted a red coloured James Bond style Autogyro passing overhead towards Bedford, something that I've rarely seen except at airshows.

Martin P

Thread: Post Office Deliveries
17/09/2021 08:39:35

We live in a village and apart from a short time where we were getting mail at 19:00 for a few weeks because of sickness, the lady postwoman was doing two rounds to cover, we have had normal deliveries, parcels come around 08:00 and mail comes at 11:00 - 12:00 every day.

Martin P

Thread: They see you coming
09/09/2021 21:26:13

I like others take my cars to our local village garage as does my son in law and daughter, when its finished if I cant collect it its delivered to my house and the bill is on my seat and I pay it the next day, also like others any work is not done until I've been spoken to.

As a slight aside my daughter and our 2 1/2 year old grandson came last Saturday to take grandma out, ten minutes after they left I received a phone call from my daughter to come and find her as whilst waiting at the village junction to the main road she had been rear ended, the young lad who hit her was in a state as he'd found out our grandson was in the car, anyway no injuries just an exchange of details, my daughter drove the car back to our house as we could now not get the rear door open as it was badly out of shape, I had to get my friend to give me a hand to dismantle my wifes mobility scooter and get it out via the rear doors, yesterday the car went off for repair and an hour later the bodyshop rang my daughter to ask how did she open the rear door as they couldnt see how to open it smiley the car is a Ford Ecosport.

Martin P

15/08/2021 08:59:55

Dave,

I'm now using it but yesterday I was loading my trailer with engines for sale for a pending bring and buy with a mate and still two pairs of eyes couldnt see anything, If I go into the house to look at the computer I get have you finished yet from the boss smiley

Martin P

14/08/2021 21:31:50

Bugger, I kept hearing a twin engined aircraft but couldnt see where it was coming from. Based in Berkshire and has a nice history including military history.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 14/08/2021 21:40:38

08/08/2021 10:24:46

Samsaranda,

Morning, I've sent you a PM

Martin P

07/08/2021 17:38:08

Your location it would likely be the Lancaster.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 07/08/2021 17:38:28

07/08/2021 12:07:16

I loved every opportunity to have a flight in something, from a gliding course from which I went solo three times with the ATC through thirty six types up to a 747, flying backwards in a transport command Bristol Brittania was fun, as we got to Prestwick the aircraft developed an oil leak within the right wing and we returned to Lynham with all of the ambulances and fire trucks waiting at the beggining of the runway as we landed smiley

Going to Cambridge for air experience flights in the University Chipmunks and being instructed in the escape routine with the final words jump, jump, jump, please dont say pardon you will be talking to yourself.

Martin P

Thread: pH electrodes [advice requested]
06/08/2021 20:45:37

The last fourteen years of my working life I was using portable pH meters daily, yes the probes dont have a long life and yes they are not cheap, as stated they are immersed in distilled water and need washing after use. We used Hanna Instruments Leighton Buzzard.

Martin P

06/08/2021 20:13:39

As a lad I lived in a town surrounded by the countries biggest airport, East Anglia, we were surrounded by military and civilian airfields, Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Wattisham, Honnington, I can remember Super Sabres at Lakenheath, SR71's at Mildenhall, eight years in the ATC got visits to most of the bases etc, summer camps at Wittering, Colerne where they had a hanger full of WW2 german aircraft, Wattisham had a ME109 for years in bits in a hanger, just over 7 years at Duxford volunteering on the Museums B17G, from a crate of parts to standing on its undercarriage.

We live about four miles from the Shuttleworth Museum so there is always something to look at overhead.

Martin P

06/08/2021 18:17:43

All the more reason to find him and report him, the rules are not there to be broken, we have several airfields around us and we had one particular pilot who regularly used to practice his aerobatic manoeuvres directly above the village, a phone call to the local airfields with his registration and he doesnt do it anymore, I spend hours reading about and spotting aircraft etc but I dont see why they should get away with it.

Martin P

06/08/2021 12:59:19

Unless his wheels were down he wouldnt have been below 500 ft over rural areas and 1000 ft over built up areas.

Martin P

Thread: Broken window key
31/07/2021 10:42:58

I recently broke a brass key on my caravan leaving the piece inside the lock, two scriber points in either side of the broken piece pulled it out.

Martin P

Thread: Royal Mail Tracking Numbers!
23/07/2021 13:42:14

We have an issue here with the post, our deliveries are usually between 11:00 and 13:00 but this week weve hardly had any post and at 19:45 last night we had a load.

Martin P

Thread: Driving style predicts Alzeimer’s …
13/07/2021 11:38:45

Just spent four days at the Goodwood festival of speed, 280 mile round trip towing my flat pack caravan, only problems I had was younger drivers who dont seem to know what the pretty orange lights are for on their cars, very speed conscious as towing above 60 mph does seem to draw attention to you.

Martin P

Thread: Which grease?
01/07/2021 20:22:01
Posted by brian jones 11 on 01/07/2021 19:44:40:

sorry its an ML7 with a sML7 cross slide - maybe i can add this to a regular footnote

No one suggested drilling an oil hole in the apron casting above the lead nut then?

come to think of it, all those years i never touched the compound slide lead screws in all the machines i usedfrown

Wow that piece of information about the Myford lathe has made my day, my never to be metioned in conversation Clarke CL500M has an oiling point directly above the cross slide nut which has a hole through the nut support post to allow oil onto the cross slide thread angel

Martin P

01/07/2021 19:00:17

Agree with Nick, stick with oil, grease is more likely to gather rubbish and swarf to make an abrasive paste, can you get access from the rear, squirt directly at the lead screw.

martin P

Edited By martin perman on 01/07/2021 19:00:52

Thread: Easy Start
29/06/2021 11:03:18

I helped move an ex military JP four pot Lister with a large generator attached from MK to Internal Fire in Wales, a mate took the engine and I took the generator on a trailer, when it was reassembled it took four grown men, two on the handle and two on a length of rope to spin it over with the decompressors open, on our first attempt one compressor was closed and we all stopped winding smiley

Martin P

28/06/2021 21:01:20
Posted by john halfpenny on 28/06/2021 20:47:24:

Martin has it. Engines do not become addicted to Easy Start, they are simply worn to a state where starting is difficult in adverse (typically cold) conditions, and will not start without it because their mechanical condition does not improve over time.

Sadly the point I was trying to make was there was nothing wrong with our engine, it was an ex army recon unit we bought and fitted to the truck straight out of the crate as surplus stock.

Martin P

28/06/2021 20:37:23

My Brother and I ran a Bedford TK for several years, during the summer months it would start on the button from cold but come the winter it wouldnt start to save its life unless it had a squirt of easy start, a new pump and injectors and a successful compression test made no difference until the warmer months when it would happily start without its fix.

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest