By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Exceptional characters
17/08/2018 18:46:23

My exceptional character was a good friend, he was a farm worker who moved to Suffolk from the North Midlands with no skills to assemble tractors for a dealership in the fifties, he then built his own Bungalow from the floor up, everything bar the electrics, he applied for a job in the building trade and was asked what his skills were so he took his interviewer to his bungalow and got the job based on it.

He got me into restoring stationary engines, he bought a Colchester Student and taught himself how to use it by making parts for his engines and magneto's, there was nothing he wouldn't try. He had one little trick that he caught out with a few times, he would take hold of a plug on a running tractor and call me over and when I got close would grab my hand, I would jump up and down and he wouldn't bat an eye lid. He has been dead at least ten years and I still think of him whilst working on my engines.

Martin P

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
16/08/2018 21:15:11

I don't do model engineering as such, I make parts for my other hobbies, but I do enjoy visiting my local ME clubs to ride the trains, attend ME exhibitions etc and the no of grown ups who attend seems to be on the increase, my local fastener company will sometimes give me my fixings for nothing if I'm looking for the odd bolt as its cheaper than raising the paperwork, I always tend to buy a minimum of ten offs now so I have stock.

ME exhibitions are a source of tooling for me as are ARC and other companies so I buy on line as distance is the major drawback so there has to be a deal of trust that what you see is what you get and companies have to make sure they are squeaky clean otherwise they go out of business. 

Another thought is that this forum is only a small percentage of those that actually have ME as their hobby, 

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 16/08/2018 21:24:33

Thread: shoe sole glue
16/08/2018 19:07:18

I have specially made shoes for a condition I have and the manufacturers use a glue which seems allows the sole to become unstuck after a year wink, approximately, and I find Evostick works well with the repair.

Martin P

Thread: Kempes yearbook, worth getting?
14/08/2018 20:12:48

I have a two volume 1956 copy of Kempe's Engineers yearbook which is an interesting read.

Martin P

Thread: A good quality oil can..?
12/08/2018 20:11:58

I cant remember the name but I use two oil cans I bought from Halford's, flexible spouts and steel bodies, don't leak and get a lot of abuse when trying to oil a running engine.

Martin P

Thread: Sign up to boxes
09/08/2018 20:54:24
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 09/08/2018 20:44:22:

Oh dear Martin - the EYES as well (site /Sight).
Tongue in cheek BobH

BobH

I have a good excuse, just before I wrote the above I had just spoken to my 94 year old mother, she has Vascular Dementia and Macular degeneration, and I was trying to explain to her that the fact she thinks its dark is because she is going blind which doesnt sink in because of the Dementia.

Martin P

09/08/2018 20:10:22

I was concerned because it suddenly appeared on my screen with mistakes and my first thought was that the sight had been hacked.

Martin P

09/08/2018 18:23:47

Why unfortunately, does that mean more work from the moderators laugh

09/08/2018 17:58:02

Gentlemen,

Does anybody know if the ME and MEW sign up boxes on the home page are genuine as there is a spelling mistake in one.

Martin P

Thread: Hello from St Ives Cambs
09/08/2018 15:14:55

Simon,

Just to save confusion my Stationary Engines look like this.

dscf4014.jpg

Its a 1942 Hamworthy Compressor set driven by a Lister D petrol engine.

Martin P

09/08/2018 13:14:40

Simon,

Welcome, I to have the CL500M with most of the extra's, I've had mine for fifteen years and have no reason to improve on it it does everything I require of it.

I'm not that far from you, I live near Bedford and Sandy.

The only part of the lathe I dont use much is the Mill attachement only because I have two small milling machines that I use.

I have one mod that I want to do and that is fit an inverter with a three phase motor otherwise I'm happy with the lathe.

As to projects pick something that will be of use to you, I make parts for my Stationary engines and home maintenance, as said the Workshop Practice books are very good.

Martin P

Thread: Let's hear it for British manufacturing!
06/08/2018 18:33:23
Posted by Kiwi Bloke 1 on 06/08/2018 12:18:00:

Well, I can't fault Neil for closing a thread after mention of the Austin Allegro. After that, we all need a lift, don't we?

Having not read the previous thread may one ask what was wrong with the Austin Allegro, I had one for almost eleven years, in that time I replaced the front wheel bearings and a suspension balance pipe, it didnt rust that much, passed its MOT every time and took my wife and I all over the south west for holidays. I towed a trailer with it and I only sold it because I had a new company car, when I sold it it had over 100000 miles.

Martin P

Thread: Web links in Forum Posts
04/08/2018 18:58:01
Posted by JasonB on 04/08/2018 18:54:35:

There is also the risk of putting off people who are not that good at using computers if they feel they will get a slapped wrist for not posting in a particular way. I would rather have them participate whatever their post is laid out like than not post. Same applies for spelling and grammar.

There are also those like me who have struggled to get it to work in the past but after having it explained now know how to do it, hence my post.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 04/08/2018 18:58:40

04/08/2018 18:23:13

**LINK** like this

Martin P

Thread: Archdale 18" Vertical Milling Machine
04/08/2018 09:03:19

There's a name from the past, I used to maintain Archdale rotary deep hole drilling machines, massive machines.

Martin P

Thread: Inverter Drives for Motors
03/08/2018 18:44:42

The trouble is that while you may think its a con in my experience any portable equipment I took to a customers site had to carry a current tag stating that it was fit for use, if it didn't carry the tag it wasn't allowed on site. Building sites were very strict on this down to extension leads and computer power supplies. The company I worked for had everything necessary PAT tested as they couldn't afford for us to be stopped.

Martin P

Thread: Pillar or radial drill
03/08/2018 09:16:45

I have a friend whose son found a metal working radial drill at his works waiting for the scrap man, he told his dad and they checked it over and offered a price which was accepted, my friend worked for a car main dealer and he borrowed the sliding body recovery truck to move the drill, the problem was that having got it onto the back of the body the truck hydraulics point blankly refused to pull the body with the drill back into place, they had to find another way of getting it home and for the last couple of years it has helped build a half scale road locomotive.

Martin P

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
31/07/2018 18:21:36

Having spent seven years volunteering at Duxford I know the engine and what made me think the Typhoon and Tempest had radials god only knows, I will put it down to the heat.

Martin P

31/07/2018 11:10:46

There is a radial sleeve valve cut away engine at Old Warden which I assume is a Napier Sabre.

The Catalina droned back over Bedford towards Duxford yesterday afternoon, low in the sky again.

Martin P

Thread: Magneto windings
29/07/2018 20:52:12

Clem,

My magneto repairman friend uses "Magnetoman" as his handle but having just read a series of posts on the Brit bike forum its not my friend. A common name smiley

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
ChesterUK
Warco
Shapiro
TRANSWAVE Converters
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition