By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lister advice
17/10/2019 20:53:18

Bill,

If you dont already know if you send me the serial no and spec no I will be able to tell you its age. I own ten D's in various states of repair and have a few spare parts for them.

martin p

17/10/2019 20:11:30

Bill,

The D is renowned with this problem, the head bolts rust and expand jamming the head on, there is no seal under the brass nuts and water can leak down, you can wedge the head off using hard wood wedges to create a gap to pass a saw blade to cut the studs, your going to need to replace the old ones anyway, the head gaskets are available as are the gaskets etc.

All the threads on the engine are Whitworth.

Martin P

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
16/10/2019 20:11:44

I'm going Saturday with a friend, I emailed Tracey Tools last night to see if they would take two particular thread taps for me to collect and this morning I got a reply from a very nice gentleman who wrote ask for me I will have them ready, I'm really pleased with that.

Martin P

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
13/10/2019 18:40:08

This morning it said unexpectedly switched off, your latest post popped up on my computer this afternoon so I've just had another look and it now says connection reset.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 13/10/2019 18:41:07

13/10/2019 14:31:09
Posted by JasonB on 13/10/2019 12:24:12:

I got all the Midget parts finished, 57 individual items plus a further 30 custom made nuts, screws etc.

Luckily I remembered how it all went back together. Valve timing was set by eye while turning the engine over slowly watching when the valves opened and closed. A little more oil than the normal running level into the crankcase, some Colemans with a drip of 2-stroke oil into the fuel jar and give it a go. I got some pops straight away and with a bit more retardation of the timing it fired into life.

Throttle is by rotating the jam jar fuel tank but quite slow to react due to sizeable flywheel, advance & retard are a better way to set the speed which I had always intended was going to be for looks and noise rather than outright speed and performance.

Just goes to show that you don't need to worry about working to umpteen decimal places, a micrometer was only used on the crankshaft and the 0.8 MOD gears on metric ctrs were cut with 32DP cutter but it seems to start and run . Just needs a bit of colour to finish it offwink

Jason,

Whats happened to the video.

Martin P

Thread: At last - no more chattering when parting off!
07/10/2019 11:11:12

Me thinks the slideway gentleman has forgotten more than he learned whilst he worked, he didnt notice that he was adjusting the end gib strip screws in free space and then found it didnt lap in the centre smiley

Martin P

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
29/09/2019 20:18:14

Yesterday mr Brother, Sister in law and I stepped aboard a Charter train in Milton Keynes, pulled along by a 1965 Class 86, all the way up to Carlisle where a Jubilee class steam locomotive called Leander took over and took us along the Cumbrian Coast back to Carnforth where the Class 86 took over to give us a fast run back to MK where we alighted and the train finished in Euston. Today a friend and I took some engines to Potton Apple day where one of my engines failed and we dodged the showers until 16:00 when we came home.

Martin P

Thread: Shell Petrol Can Puzzle
25/09/2019 16:41:37
Posted by Georgineer on 25/09/2019 13:31:29:
Posted by martin perman on 23/09/2019 08:48:44:
Posted by Georgineer on 22/09/2019 23:42:16:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/09/2019 19:05:24:

I looked for a date code on the rusty bottom of my can, but it's pretty ugly under there. Rather than having to scrape the whole thing, can anybody suggest where I should look first? The panel is corrugated rather than flat.

George

The date code will be two digits roughly in the middle of the base.

Martin P

Thanks Martin. I scratched around the middle and found a circular stamping with 'SM Co' at the top, 'London' at the bottom, '1' on the left and '32' on the right, which I interpret as January 1932.

I also investigated another can I inherited and found the date code for September 1934. All I need to do now is work out what to do with a gallon of petrol of indeterminate age, probably leaded, which it contains.

Another question - the seals in the brass caps look like leather. Would that be right?

George

The lid seals from memory were leather but I now use cork sheet cut into the appropriate circle.

Martin P

Thread: primus blowtorch
24/09/2019 21:12:05
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/09/2019 19:12:54:

I haven't checked recently, but ... Once upon a time; there was a company called Primus-Sievert

angel MichaelG.

Apparently between 1965 and 69/70

Martin P

Thread: How many Hammers
24/09/2019 20:23:37

I have a few but I have one very special 3lb lump hammer which goes everywhere I go and if one of my engines starts playing up I fetch the lump and lay it next to the engine and the problem goes away smiley

Martin P

Thread: What the he**
24/09/2019 18:51:39

I should be up for some breakages after typing this, in 48 years of driving I've had twenty private and company vehicles from a hillman imp to a Vauxhall Vivaro and have never had one broken spring.

Martin P

Thread: Album pictures
24/09/2019 18:13:37
Posted by mechman48 on 24/09/2019 13:34:57:

I make sure that any pics I have are saved in the correct orientation / adjusted in my pc albums under the 'Edit' section then I upload to the forum from there, works ok for me; Win10.

George.

I have taken a picture in portrait and loaded it into my folder and it has been dispayed in landscape, so how does that work.

Martin P

23/09/2019 08:48:44
Posted by Georgineer on 22/09/2019 23:42:16:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/09/2019 19:05:24:

I looked for a date code on the rusty bottom of my can, but it's pretty ugly under there. Rather than having to scrape the whole thing, can anybody suggest where I should look first? The panel is corrugated rather than flat.

George

The date code will be two digits roughly in the middle of the base.

Martin P

Thread: Internal Fire Museum of Power
22/09/2019 22:52:55

I was supposed to be going to the museum to deliver some literature I've collected from the owners of Stationary engine magazine on the 12th and 13th October, the end of season event, family problems has stopped this.

Mention was made of the phone exchange, I helped remove and delivered a lot of the equipment from the Nene Valley railway signal box, it filled a complete large room and had to be removed to make space for the new equipment, what the railway didnt realise was the two replacement units were only two boxes 18" x 18" x 4" thick.

To move the old stuff took my Vauxhall Vivaro van and a 12' long twin axle trailer to shift it all to IF.

I hope to go for the 26th October museums at night event.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 22/09/2019 22:53:59

Thread: Stuck oil filter
22/09/2019 21:15:35
Posted by Reman on 22/09/2019 20:27:44:
Posted by Dave Halford on 22/09/2019 19:23:45:

Miss fires can be found by a watering can - wet the exhaust manifold by the head with the engine running - last exhaust port to dry out is the naughty boy.

Simples

Never heard about that one before. Not a bad tip.

And a quick way to crack a cast manifold.

My Daughter and son in law have two cars, a nearly ten year old Focus (Family car) which is contract serviced by Ford and is tip top, my daughter has had it seven years, the second car is a 2001 Corsa B 1.0 ltr engine run around bought from my wifes sister for £100, it came with issues which got sorted. Yesterday SIL and me fitted a new auxilliary belt, with the manual at hand it took 2.5 hrs to change, jack up car, offside wheel off, remove plastic inner wings, remove filter airbox, MAF sensor, support engine on offside with trolley jack, remove off side engine mount, release tension on belt and lock with nail, remove belt, check bearings in idler pulley and reverse the above. SIL is a good lad and looks after his family but his mechanical skill in all departments are less than zero but he listens and watches so reassembly was quicker. Yesterday was also to take his mind off the fact that his younger sister, 38, passed away in a local Hospice from Breast Cancer Friday evening.

Martin P

22/09/2019 08:18:20

Out of curiousity whats the can date, look at the base and you will see a number.

Martin P

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
19/09/2019 22:05:22

This evening my wife and I were sat at Everton Rail Crossing watching the trains on the East Coast line and I happened to have the car roof open fully when I heard the distinct sound of a Harvards propeller blades when directly over us at about 500 ft a yellow Harvard in very close formation with Shuttleworths Lysander passed over us and circled around and moved away,

Martin P

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
18/09/2019 18:51:26
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 18/09/2019 18:32:00:
Posted by martin perman on 18/09/2019 17:36:08:
Posted by Mark Rand on 18/09/2019 14:29:48:

If you are a type 2 and are taking medication that could lead to hypoglycaemia, you are required to inform Swansea and your insurers. Blood glucose testing after significant accidents is standard policy with the ambulance service these days.

Glicazide, which I take, for instance.

Martin P

Has anyone actually read the document that I linked ?

... "could" doesn't come into the requirement to inform

MichaelG.

I've read it three times and I find it contradictory, its title states that if you dont inject you dont need to report it and then goes onto tell you about the effects of Hypo's and the fact that you have to report this. Ive been type 2 diabetic since I was 45, I'm now 65 and can say i've only suffered a serious hypo twice in those years, once was when on tablets only and once not long after going onto insulin as well, on both occasions I was busy working at home doing physical work, I know the signs and took the actions required, I dont think a court of law would let me off if I had had a hypo whilst driving because the DVLA said I didnt have to. My job and now my current part time job require me to drive and if my doctor advised me to report it I did and will because I value my license and its something I dont want taken away. If the medical profession tell me to do A and B and not C I do it as they know better than I and so far its kept me alive and well.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 18/09/2019 18:53:03

18/09/2019 17:36:08
Posted by Mark Rand on 18/09/2019 14:29:48:

If you are a type 2 and are taking medication that could lead to hypoglycaemia, you are required to inform Swansea and your insurers. Blood glucose testing after significant accidents is standard policy with the ambulance service these days.

Glicazide, which I take, for instance.

Martin P

18/09/2019 10:19:35

When I became a Diabetic I was tablet controlled and was advised by my doctor to inform the DVLA which I did.

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest