By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian S C

Here is a list of all the postings Ian S C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mystery machine..........
21/07/2019 10:38:00

Hi Pete, sorry no pics here, you better go up to the green line at the top of the page, go along to the camera/albums and start an album, you transfer direct from your computer, best to reduce the size, I use 640 x 480. It took me months to get going, I was on dial up, and trying to put the photos direct without reduction, grrrr. Give it a go.

Ian S C

Thread: Deburring small items after parting off
21/07/2019 10:19:11

At the Menz Shed I am currently making parts for a tumbler for one of the many rock collectors around this district, there is a good source of aggates in the area. Basicly two rubber rollers 3" dia x 2ft long, and a 1/4hp 4 pole motor from a washing machine. I'v just finished rebuilding a diamond saw for cutting up some of the rocks.

Ian S C

Thread: Giberalter Toolpost
21/07/2019 09:56:53

ChrisB, I don't see any problem.

Ian S C

Thread: Unknown object
20/07/2019 13:17:39

I'v never seen one like that, but many years ago I made one, the rod I used was a double ended steel sock knitting needle about 8" long.

Ian S C

Thread: Finally sort of know which lathe to buy, but?
20/07/2019 12:55:40

I have no wish for a Myford, and I find the Box Ford A that I have use of lacking comparing those machines with my own 1326 BH Taiwanese lathe. My specs for a lathe whatever size, either belt or gear head with back gear/or infinitly variable like a Chipmaster or Raglan. Two shaft feed, ie., separate leadscrew and feed shaft.

Does the little Box Ford always chew out the bronze gear on the thread dial, it's obvious why with a keyway cut along the leadscrew.

If you buy an eastern lathe in NZ it usually comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, 2 centres and if needed a sleeve for the headstock to bring it down from 5MT to 3 MT. A fixed, and traveling steady. But if you are lucky as a mate of mine was, you open the box when you get the lathe home and you get 3 and 4 jaw chuck, 2 off each, steadies 2 off each, tool posts 2 off (some other poor blighter might have none). As the chucks are 8", I got a 6" 4 jaw about twenty years ago.

Interesting to read the machinery adds in Model Engineer, the Myford prices are away above reasonable(same here), I could have bought two of my larger lathe and still have had change when I compared it with a new Myford.

Ian S C

Thread: Angle grinders - Dangerous or not
19/07/2019 14:24:01

At least those things in the last link by Juddy are for a Weed Whacker, so limited to about 3000 rpm, not the high revs of an angle grinder. Still really too dangerous, one of those chains only needs to hit a rock to destroy it and bits of chainsaw chain flying every where.

Ian S C

Thread: Barrier Cream
17/07/2019 14:25:01

I used to use Kepthorn & Prossers lanolene barrier cream, there were two tubes, one for dry work, and the other for wet work. In the engine shop it was good when cleaning parts, and in the hanger when using paint stripper, and chemical etch on corrosion. The dry stuff was good for when you were cleaning the inside of the hopper on a top dressing aircraft.
Ian S C

Thread: Remembering Apollo 11
17/07/2019 13:56:41

Here in NZ we got radio live but the TV was delayed, the RNZAF sent a Canbera bomber over to Australia to pick up the film to go on the TV, I think the flight time record stayed until broken by Concorde(some time in the 1990s (I think). I have the LP "Apollo 11 We Have Landed On The Moon" produced by Capitol Records featuring official NASA tapes. Special narration by Paul Haney. It cost me the grand sum of $NZ1.99.

Ian S C

Thread: Supaburner's for Model & Toy Steam Boilers Explained
15/07/2019 12:48:13

Sorry Jim, can't even remember where I put it. The first one I built, the tank was vertical copper tube about 2 1/2" high x 1" dia, the loop tube 3/16" copper tube went into the tank near the bottom, and was bent up so the the hot end was above the top of the tank, it worked but was not a good design as the flame area was too high to be of any use. I did make a few more, but as I use gas for heating most of my hot air motors I didn't do too much development work, perhaps I'll have another go.

Got a tin boat about 26" long powered by a hot air motor with a single wick meths burner, perhaps a pressure burner would give it a bit of a boost, must try that.

Ian S C

Thread: Recent threads
14/07/2019 11:32:11

Bit OT, anything refering to gentlemen reminds me of a famous speech to the military at the beginning of WW2 by a certain RAF Air Vice Marshal sent by London to set up our Air Force for war. He started the speech "men and boys of the army and navy, and gentle men of the air force". I think that is all of the speech that was remembered by anyone, and it caused a major rift in the forces for a number of years, here maybe more back then all were/are concidered equal, in fact NZ servicemen during the war ,when serving in UK often got a bit of stick, as the men and officers were sometimes a bit too "friendly".

On here there is no "class", in general you don't know who your talking to, and that's good(well that's how I see it).

Ian S C

14/07/2019 11:06:54

Don't know what Blue Heeler used(probably similar). I use 1/4 OD copper mainly, but as I don't buy much, its a case of whats in the junk box. I did have some copper plated steel tube from a fridg, that worked ok, it was either 6 mm or 1/4".

Ian S C

Thread: idler pulley with spring loading
13/07/2019 10:53:57

Using a jockey wheel to tension the belt can also help to gain a greater wrap around, improving the drive efficiency.

Ian S C

12/07/2019 12:54:46

Fibreglass wick as for lamp for aromatic oils, or threads pulled from woven fibreglass cloth, think I'v got some of that, it was called Dynel cloth 50 years or so ago, we used it for abrasion resistance on the leading edge of the tailplane of our Cessna topdressing aircraft. I have mad similar burners, but both ends of the burner tube went into the fuel tank, and the burner end consisted of a complete loop with the little hole in the bottom of the loop. I used asbestos string.

On second thoughts don't use Dynel, it,s not fibreglass, but acrilic, I forgot that.

Ian S C

12/07/2019 12:46:14

Fibreglass wick as for lamp for aromatic oils, or threads pulled from woven fibreglass cloth, think I'v got some of that, it was called Dynal cloth 50 years or so ago, we used it for abrasion resistance on the leading edge of the tailplane of our Cessna topdressing aircraft. I have mad similar burners, but both ends of the burner tube went into the fuel tank, and the burner end consisted of a complete loop with the little hole in the bottom of the loop. I used asbestos string.

Ian S C

Thread: idler pulley with spring loading
12/07/2019 12:11:03

Depending on the load a skate board wheel might do the job. Mount it on a swinging arm that can be locked in place, think of the alternator in your car, or if you are like me(no car), a car.

Ian S C

Thread: One for the shooting fraternity!
10/07/2019 11:56:41

I had a Parker Hale sporting convertion of a SMLE Lee Enfield .303, I actually wanted a #4* that I had used in the RNZAF, in the 1960 that was our standard weapon, were as the army had gone semi auto 7.62 mm.

The PH 16 sight is for a BSA Sportsman .22 LR

Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 10/07/2019 12:29:28

Thread: Large Pulley wheels
10/07/2019 11:46:15

Old washing machine/clothes dryers, a bit over 12"(I think) A section belt.

Ian S C

Thread: Myford Super 7 Spindle Lock
10/07/2019 11:38:01

Someone might help me, I have a thread in the manual machinery section How to remove a chuck from a Boxford model A. It's back on the 1/5/18. I had quite a battle over a number of weeks(only able to work on it 2 mornings a week).

Ian S C

Thread: Power supply problems for CNC rotary table
10/07/2019 11:16:18

I maybe wrong(quite likely) could it (the 230v to 110v power supply), be frequency dependent, I think transformers for 60 hz have less iron than a 50 hz one, this could cause over heating if the load were to get near the transformer rating, although I suppose it's an electronic rather than transformer supply.

Ian S C

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
06/07/2019 11:34:53

The above company also has a Hawker Fury FB 11 that could pass that discription, it is all silver finish, not the flashy paint job and D day stripes of the P-47. Both machines big, fast and noisey.

Ian S C

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest