By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian S C

Here is a list of all the postings Ian S C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Free Electricity
17/01/2019 11:32:43

When I was a kid we built crystal sets, and late 50s got some OC 70 transistors, so made a simple amplifier with a single OC 70, then Dad suggested build another crystal set with broad tuning, instead of the single diode, a bridge made of 4 germanium diodes and an electrolytic capacitor across it, adjust the circuit for the greatest out put, and connect it to the radio. You need 2 good aerials. The main problem with simple radios is the headphones, in general you just can't get high impedance phones.

When I built my first (only) single valve(DAF 91) radio, what to do about HT battery.  Built a power supply with a transistor oscilator, feed that through a small low voltage transformer, rectify the HT, and smooth it, and out comes the 90V that I wanted, all from a little 9V battery.

Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 17/01/2019 11:45:55

Thread: Turning aluminium with carbide inserts
17/01/2019 10:50:31

The polished silver coloured ones are uncoated.

Ian S C

Thread: Model Turbines
15/01/2019 11:19:19

There was a plan for a Turbo Generator in ME, it was back in the 1950s/60s somewhere (I think). I also read in ME that someone had built a tool and cutter grinder using an air turbine to power the grinder. I don't know if he built his own turbine, or bought one, you can get quite cheap air powered drill/ die grinders.

Ian S C

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
15/01/2019 11:02:34

I think that rather than cast iron in the bronze cylinder, stainless steel might be better to reduce the effect of corrosion. Even if the engine was only run on compressed air, cast iron would be at risk of rusting because of the moisture in the air, and condensation on the cold cylinder. O-ring or Teflon tape seal in a polished bore, cast iron ring in a honed bore to retain oil in the fine scratches formed by the hone.

Ian S C

Thread: Ball bearing spindles
15/01/2019 10:26:58

Don't know if they are still available, but a good bearing for running a spindle is the "Magneto" type.

Ian S C

Thread: hot air engines
15/01/2019 10:11:20

Hi Frank, welcome to the world of Stirling Engines/hot air engines. As Dave says the engines are sealed (as well as you can), the main thing that limits success is friction, with a motor with B***** all power, there is no use taking up 1/2 of B***** all with friction.

Some motors have a snifter valve to make up pressure from the small amount that leaks out, I have not found that necessary in any of my little motors. Other types such as the Robinson use an air valve to govern the speed.

This is my smallest motor, power piston 3/8" bore x 1/2" stroke, made from bits and pieces found in the workshop.

Ian S C

032 (640x480) (2).jpg

Thread: Motor Setup
14/01/2019 11:07:26

The amount of belt tension can be adjusted on a hinged mounting plate by moving the motor further or closer to the hinge point. I might be worth turning your timing belt inside out, if nothing else it will be quieter.

Ian S C

Thread: Custom shape Electric radiator
14/01/2019 10:49:15

The elements in my "Night Store" heater could be bent to any shape you want. From what I remember the ones(3 of them)in my heater are folded in a rectangle about 300 mm x 400 mm, 1Kw each.

Ian S C

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
13/01/2019 11:28:38

Mosquito number three took it's first flight at 11.33 AM NZ summertime today, with two seat Spitfire MH 367 as chase plane. This one was the last RNZAF Mosquito to fly, and was sold to a buyer in the USA, and now it's going back there. Don't worry the next one goes to the UK.

Ian S C

Thread: 540 Motor as a generator
13/01/2019 10:55:21

Even a fairly small Stirling Engine will turn over a small DC motor to give enough volts, and current to power a small transistor radio, or light up a few LEDs.

This little motor has a power cylinder bore of 5/8", and a stroke of 1/2". The motor used as a generator came from an old cassette tape recorder. The hot air engine is based on a design by JustenJones and was featured in ME vol 178/4038 P 158. There are two versions of the motor GAMA, and BETTA, my one is the GAMA type which I suspect may have a slight power advantage. This design won the Gnat power competition 1996 (I think).

Ian S C

2.5 cc, and 3volt generator

Thread: Bronze for bushings
12/01/2019 10:26:51

About fifteen to twenty years ago one of the ?bronze bushes in the thread cutting gear box on my Taiwanese lathe failed, I had a bit of phosphor bronze hollow bar, and used that to make a new bush. It was bored on the lathe, no reamer was available, so it was fitted as bored.

Ian S C

Thread: Old Lathe
12/01/2019 10:18:52

A new barrel made of something like 4140, I don't think it would need heat treatment, but the end wont fall off. Which ever way you go, a 1/4", 6 mm hole is probably enough.

Ian S C

Thread: Hole cutter
12/01/2019 10:11:50

Any metal dealer that I know would take back the unwanted metal that you have, and either pay you, or swap it for the metal that you need.

Have you tried slowing the speed, don't be afraid to use back gear, it might be slow, but might be faster than taking .004" cuts.

Ian S C

Thread: Greetings from Blackpool
11/01/2019 09:35:23

Welcome Ceteri, your father did leave you at least one important thing, and that's why you'r here, and that is his love of model engineering.

Ian S C

Thread: 540 Motor as a generator
10/01/2019 10:28:27

I'v used small motors as generators on my hot air motors.

Ian S C

Thread: Welding wrought iron
10/01/2019 10:15:28

With wrought iron there is no contamination by other metals, or grades of steel, it is the first stage from raw ore, straight out of the ground, and into the furnace. As there is virtually no carbon in the smelted iron, the temperature to melt it to liquid is very high, so the metal got to a paste, this got puddled (stirred) to bring as much as possible of the slag to the surface for removal, as the metal cooled it was bought out in lumps known as blooms, and this is what the blacksmith got to work on. I think there is a group in England who are, in a very small way making wrought iron.

Ian S C

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
09/01/2019 10:47:47

The other night the Police Helicopter in Auckland NZ had to with - draw and land when it came within 5 /10 metres at about 420 metres altitude.

Ian S C

Thread: New member (South Wales)
07/01/2019 09:49:14

Steve, I forgot to mention that the Box-Ford "A" has a gear cutting gear box.

Ian S C

Thread: A Video for Ron
06/01/2019 10:35:36

I have not actually done the strip and degrease of the bearings I use, and most are shielded bearings. I think the general idea is to remove the shields, and the grease, but then use a very light oil in the smallest amount. On little bearings(3 mm/4 mm bore) a drop on the end of a pin.

Ian S C

Thread: New member (South Wales)
06/01/2019 10:17:19

Steven, maybe a Box- Ford A, hasn't got the heavy base with the motor underneath, you make the bench, and the lathe is easy to move. Personally, I would like something about that size as a second lathe, my wants would be, back gear and belt head. Separate lead screw and feed rod, the Box-Ford I use at the MenzShed (and all others)has the two combined and the keyway has stuffed up the gear on the screw cutting indicator dial. My own Taiwanese lathe has a lead screw and a feed rod. I'm not too sure about the fine thread on the lead screw of the Mini lathes.

When I first saw your thread, for some reason I read New South Wales, I was thinking that your nearby modeller might well be a couple of hundred miles down the road, but where you are it won't be too far away.

Ian S C

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
méridienne Nov 18
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest