By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian S C

Here is a list of all the postings Ian S C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Newbie with a chuck query
26/03/2019 10:51:53

I have use of a Box-Ford A with a Burnerd 4" three jaw chuck, I had quite a battle getting things right until I found that one jaw had had the first tooth broken off, A bit of fiddling around and its ok(sort of).

Ian S C

Thread: Heat hardening?
25/03/2019 11:02:05

If you heat brass to hardening temp for steel, it will melt, copper takes a bit more temperature. I often use brass for brazed steel joints.

Ian S C

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
23/03/2019 11:32:08

Andrew, could you arrange a method of holding the pieces direct on the table and doing away with the vice, a 1/4" bar across each end, and maybe something each side, I use that method when facing similar bits with the face cutter on the vertical mill and don't have any trouble with the metal getting thrown out side ways ( I thought that might be a problem). I'v only got the useless tilting vice that came with the mill.

Ian S C

Thread: An engine to watch
23/03/2019 11:17:18

I knew the bloke who mainly built the Hayes motor, Jim Stuart lived just behind my place in Riverton, and worked at Haye;s workshop in Invercargill. I think that when I first saw it the beam was made of wood, as well as it having a wooden piston, but each time I saw it changes had been made, I suppose that now it's sort of in it's final state.

Ian S C

Thread: New Lathe
23/03/2019 10:51:55

I would add to SOD's list: Two feed shafts, separate lead screw and self feed. If the motor is electronicly controled, there needs to be a high and low ratio, and back gear would be an advantage.

Ian S C

Thread: Why do we do it?
23/03/2019 10:40:30

My idea of a forum on the internet is a discussion group talking as if they are a group gathered together as if for example is someones workshop, talking together eye to eye. Such discussion can wander off at times, then you go and have a cupper.

Ian S C

Thread: Concrete workshop floor paint
22/03/2019 10:47:38

Back in the 1960s I helped paint the floor in our aero engine overhaul shop, it may even still have the same epoxy paint. Don't mix too much at a time(we did, and no we didn't read the instructions until after mixing), we used 30" brooms to paint the floor, and got it all covered in extra quick time, when we had finished there was a ball(about cricket ball size) that was too hot to pick up, it had smoke coming off it.

Ian S C

rex aviation engine and propeller shop (640x427).jpg

Thread: A Simple Protective Coating For Steel, Indoors
22/03/2019 10:37:49

A bit of an unusual odour for the workshop, aerosol hair spray. Not too durable, but OK on stuff thats sitting on the shelf.

Ian S C

Thread: Making split bronze bearings [ silver soldering ]
22/03/2019 10:31:08

The way I make con rods with bushed and split big end, bore the hole to take the bronze for the bush, fit the piece of bronze, either a light press fit or Loctite, drill and tap for the big end bolts, now split the bearing and fit the bolts, bore the bearing to size. Usually I drill the bronze before fitting if its been in the lathe to take the OD down to size. Not too practical for main bearings, but one thing is, the bearing can't rotate in the housing, it's oval on the OD.

Ian S C

Thread: 1/2" x22tpi tap?
19/03/2019 10:48:40

I put 22 tpi x 1/2" for Ford Model T in Google, and came up with the flare nuts on the Rambler Mechanical engine oiler. someone on that site suggested Tracy Tools list the tap on stock. That was 2008, but might be worth investigating.

Ian S C

Thread: Tool Post Milling/Drilling Attachment
17/03/2019 08:32:17

Most tread mill motors are PM DC motors, they also make quite good alternators.

Ian S C

Thread: Alternative materials
16/03/2019 23:31:54

Don't use sintered metal of any kind, it is for bearing that will be encased in a housing as the sintered metal has very little strength on its own.

Ian S C

Thread: Why do both power hacksaws and bandsaws exist?
16/03/2019 23:24:24

It's easier to build a power hacksaw at home than a bandsaw, I;v done it, it's gone now, replaced by a bandsaw.

Ian S C

Thread: Removing large flange nuts
16/03/2019 10:39:51

It's sometimes useful to use two C spanners on a tight nut, you can put twice the torque on the nut before doing any damage.

Ian S C

Thread: New Zealand Terror Attack
16/03/2019 10:07:55

The Bangladesh cricket team was very lucky that a press conference went over time, the players were heading to Friday Prayers, and were about a couple of hundred metres away from the Deans Av Mosque.  They had already lost two tests, and were due to play the third and final test at Hagley Oval, about two hundred metres as the crow flys from the Mosque, they went home today.

Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 16/03/2019 10:20:14

Edited By JasonB on 17/03/2019 05:19:56

Thread: Removing large flange nuts
15/03/2019 11:56:13

It looks as though there is enough thread sticking out from the nut to see if it is left or right handed. While you whack the C spanner, it is handy to have someone else to hold the shaft.

Ian S C

Thread: Aluminium Firebox
15/03/2019 11:40:33

It doesn't take too much heat for aluminium to loose it's strength, here's a couple of examples of using aluminium containers for displacers in hot air motors, I'm a slow learner, well actually the second one was put in in a hurry for a demonstration run, and it did demonstrate the reason not to use aluminium after running about half an hour there was a clatter, then stop, the motor now has a stainless steel displacer can.

Ian S C

dsc01133 (800x600).jpg

Thread: Newbie Boxford owner saying hello
15/03/2019 11:24:38

Hi Andrew, I have the use of a Box-Ford A, but I have not done any screw cutting on it. The gear on the thread cutting dial has been chewed out by the lead screw, why the heck do they put a keyway down a lead screw, I don't know, my Taiwanese lathe uses a separate shaft. At least I know how to cut threads without a dial, learned that nearly 60yrs ago at school.

Ian S C

Thread: Huloo from North East Scotland
15/03/2019 11:16:07

Roy, you'll soon find, or already found or other glider tug pilot. I'm sure you'll be as careful in the workshop as in the cockpit. Welcome aboard.

Ian S C

Thread: New Zealand Terror Attack
15/03/2019 11:09:09

I was in the local library, went after lunch to sort out some jigsaw puzzles, then someone came in and said have you heard about the shooting in town, the place is in lock down, next thing every one gets herded out and the library is closed. 49 dead as I write, and a similar number in hospital with gunshot wounds. The shootings took place at the two mosques in Christchurch about 7k apart. 4 people arrested, 1 charged so far(he's not a Kiwi).

Ian S C

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest