By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian S C

Here is a list of all the postings Ian S C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuck oil filter
12/09/2019 13:02:14

A few years back a neigbour had a similar problem changinging the filter on his partners car, and after about 4hrs into the evening he was just about to take the engine out, I went over with a big screwdriver and 10 minutes later the new filter was on.

Ian S C

Thread: Diecast/white metal model.
07/09/2019 13:34:10

I assembled a Fine Scale model of a ALCHIN royal CHESTER traction engine, the kit had been bought about twenty years pryor to me getting hold of it somewhere about the mid 1990s. It's around 4" long, and rather pricy, 3 or 4 hundred pounds. Made for a wealthy farmer who had owned a full size one until about 40 years ago. His son now owns the farm, and I think there is still some coal in one of the sheds.

Ian S C

Allchin Royal Chester

Thread: Aluminium cylinder, Viton rings
05/09/2019 11:19:57

Rather than O rings, maybe try Teflon plumbers tape. I would use a harder grade of alloy for the cylinder.

Ian S C

Thread: Decent Demagnetiser?
05/09/2019 11:04:15

I made a demagnetizer using a primary coil from the transform,er from a microwave oven, powered by a 12v transformer from a low voltage electric blanket. The coil is in the ply box on the left.

Ian S C

dsc00682 (640x480).jpg

Thread: Trip to New Zealand
30/08/2019 12:44:03

In the far north I remember Clapam's Clocks(C or K?) when on holiday up there early 1960s.

Ian S C

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
30/08/2019 12:36:12

Neil, they are keeping an eye on you, a fairly brief one at that. It's rare to see military aircraft around here, last one was a P-3 Orion a couple of years ago at least, atv about 10,000ft.

Ian S C

Thread: Home Made "Inserts" -Feelin' Groovy.
30/08/2019 12:11:18

A piece of saw blade with a tip on it, and a hole in the side would make a parting tool of your holder. You should grind the end of the tip square(green grit wheel or diamond). With a little tool like this take things quietly, don't just rip into a great big lump of steel bar at a million rpm..

Ian S C

29/08/2019 11:35:02

A useful insert can be made from a piece cut from a carbide tipped circular saw blade (note that each alternate tip is handed left and right. These blades are regularly thrown out when a tip is damaged). I have used these tips in ordenary lathe tools and boring bars, I choose ones that are about 1.5 mm squ x 3 mm long, they come in smaller and larger sizes.

Ian S C

dsc01182 (800x600).jpg

Thread: Naerok milling machine manual
28/08/2019 12:10:17

Put Naerok mill in the window with keyword in it, click down all topics and you will get the Naerok mill manual, could be useful.

Ian S C

Thread: Trip to New Zealand
27/08/2019 12:10:15

Christchurch: Steam Scene, and Ferrymede and the Airforce museum, the later do the full restoration hanger tour, And have a go on the Mosquito flight simulator, it was tuned by ex mosquito pilots to be as near to the real thing as possible without actually flying. Ferrymede are actualy rebuilding a Mossie for static display along with a Hudson bomber ans a F27 Friendship. Both the museums at Ashburton are worth a visit. While you are in Wellington, go see Weta Workshops. I,m not sure of the status of the two WW1 exhibits, but if either is open go to it.

While your in Canterbury, think about taking a day trip on the Trans Alpine rail trip, it's not cheap(you may think you just bought the train, Ideal trip is road one way, and rail the other, 9am the train goes west about 100M from my place, and about 6pm it comes back, it carries on another 40K to Christchurch.Considered one of the top train trips in the world.

Ian S C

Thread: Battery longevity
26/08/2019 15:06:56

In 1997 while mum was in hospital I installed a power operated door on the garage just to make things a little easier for her. The remote control still has the origional 9V battery.

Ian S C

Thread: Piston/Cylinder Materials
21/08/2019 12:08:13

For my hot air motors I try to use cast iron on cast iron for pistons and cylinders, if I can't do that I go for cast iron piston and steel cylinder. Hot air motors/Stirling Engines friction is the important thing to minamise.

This little motor has a 3/8" bore and 1/2" stroke CI piston and CI cylinder liner in the finned, vertical aluminium cylinder.

Ian S C

032 (640x480) (2).jpg

Edited By Ian S C on 21/08/2019 12:13:37

Thread: What coating/grease for long term tool storage
20/08/2019 14:38:24

For steel parts on US military aircraft, ie tubular fuselage structure(internal), use hot raw Linseed oil, at about 160*F. To prevent tools rusting you have to use them.

Ian S C

Thread: TTFN
19/08/2019 16:38:53

Andrew, perhaps you need something like a Piper PA 18 with about 150hp up front. Things are much slower, and not so much fun. I used to like watching the gliders getting towed up by Tigermoth, when I was just a wee chap. The local glider club uses air tow, but also has a winch.

Ian S C

Thread: Wasp trap - suggestions please
19/08/2019 16:18:26

Ifv you can get, or have some Carberil insecticide, put some (teaspoon full) in the bottom of a small plastic jar. Next the fun part, catch a wasp and put it in the jar, shake it around a bit, then let the wasp go, it will head back to the nest. The more you can treat this way the sooner the nest will die out, you should manage without getting stung.

Ian S C

Thread: TTFN
18/08/2019 12:58:48

Good to see you back Andrew, keep the wind under the wings of the Pawnee, and let us know how the traction engines are coming along every now and then. this one at the local model aircraft flying strip was doing some glider towing

Ian S C

dsc00940 (640x480).jpg

Thread: Protecting mild steel
18/08/2019 12:33:09

Very little paint used on my hot air motors that are stored in my uninsulated workshop, rarely is there ever a problem with rust. I haven't, but I have heard of aerosol hair spray being used as a rust preventitve, it's not hard wearing, but OK on items that are not handled much.

Ian S C

Thread: Heartbroken!
17/08/2019 08:24:37

Alum is usually available in garden shops, and the cooking dept of the super market.

Ian S C

Thread: HONING OF HOLES
16/08/2019 13:15:21

When I was over hauling aero engines, if a cylinder was within spec we used to break the glaze on a 2000hr cylinder with a quick wipe round with some wet and dry, about 600 to 800 grit, those cylinders usually lasted another 1000hrs at least, then some times, if the head was OK the unit would be rebarrelled.

Ian S C

Thread: Karcher pressure washer
10/08/2019 11:37:09

Not sure where you are Kiwi Bloke , but there are Karcher outlets in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, and Christchurch.

Ian S C

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest