By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian S C

Here is a list of all the postings Ian S C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting a worm?
21/05/2019 13:25:37

With the two shafts geared together 99 to 100, then coupled together with the gear via the two worms I would guess that before one revolution it will jamb up. Shouldn't the gear ratio be 1:1?

Ian S C

Thread: Help a beautiful lady
20/05/2019 12:44:49

I usually can't find 1/2 sizes ( there is usually only two sizes,Too big and too small), and width fitting is just about unheard of.

Ian S C

Thread: Warrington Model Engineering Developments
20/05/2019 12:11:37

Philip, go to the top green line on the page, click on the camera/Albums section, and follow the "dots", you'll find your way OK.

Ian S C

Thread: Interesting??
19/05/2019 12:12:48

You'r right Bill. it's the bumble bee, nobody told the bumble bee it couldn't fly.

Over the years we'v had numerous experts on the Stirling Engine Forum with ideas of how to get more out of a Stirling Engine than they put in.

Ian S C

Thread: DC Treadmill Motor
18/05/2019 11:12:09

An indication of what's around, my E bike has a Shimano battery pack, it's 36v 11,6 Ah Li ion, the size is 90 x 90 x 300, the weight is 2.67 Kg, the thing against it is the price which I'm lead to believe is about $NZ800 which is near enough to 400 quid. The bike has a 300W motor.

Ian S C

Thread: Jensen #35 Steam Engine - Working multiple Stamping Mills
17/05/2019 14:19:45

A OK now Jim thanks.

Ian S C

Thread: Parting off query
17/05/2019 13:51:32

The parting tool should be flat on the top for brass(bottom if going in reverse), and dead square across the end or it will pull to the leading point. An angled end seems ok in steel.

Ian S C

Thread: Rudder Bushes on Boat
17/05/2019 13:42:38

I think I used Delrin for the bushes on the rudders of my brother in law's 16 m/ 12 tonne catamaran. Built to Safe Ship Management survey standards, steering is hydraulic. Folie a Deux is a twin 150hp Volvo powered ocean cruising boat now based in Australia. The rudders did have a problem on the voyage from NZ to Fiji, over use of the steering caused the hydraulic fluid to over heat, so the sensitivity of the steering (electronically controlled with a Navman G pilot 3100 autopilot), I don't think it was tight bushes that put a load on the steering as the manual steering was quite free.

Ian S Cimg_20170510_0001 (640x426).jpg

17/05/2019 13:03:25

Mervyn, a better motor might be an old 12v windscreen wiper motor, I use an old Lucas one for the feed on the mill table, I have a 10 tooth sprocket on an extended shaft on the worm wheel, driving a 20 tooth sprocket on the mill lead screw. I run it of a 18v DC power supply and just use a rotary switch with resistors to control the speed. The drive is via a bit of bike chain that is loose enough to be lifted off to remove the power drive. Cheap, simple, and fairly ugly.

Ian S C

Thread: Hello - Vintage Drummond Lathe user
17/05/2019 12:18:14

Hi Chris, go to the top of the page/ the green line, go along to the camera/albums then just follow the dots. You should reduce photo size, I use 640 x 480.

Ian S C

Thread: Jensen #35 Steam Engine - Working multiple Stamping Mills
16/05/2019 13:27:23

Sorry Jim, nothing came through from youtube.

Ian S C

Thread: George Punter of Queensland
16/05/2019 13:19:25

Congratulations George. Goerge found the Sanderson tractor in a machinery museum in Geraldine, just a few miles south of where I am in Canterbury (NZ).

Ian S C

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
16/05/2019 13:10:07

110 would be better than 1100, if you are not sure what speed, go low speed to start with. Well that's my way!

Ian S C

Thread: Antique Steam Engine from Doorknob
16/05/2019 13:00:02

I assume that the gear is on the crankshaft, and drives the small flywheel at increased speed. Love it, it's a great model from the past.

Ian S C

Thread: Door knob collar
16/05/2019 12:45:08

Get them cast, make one as a pattern, or even a number of them, they can be made of metal, aluminium or brass, or plastic or wood, leave the back flat is the easy way that's what I did when I had 200(twice)horse brasses cast for the souvenir shop at the local museum.

Ian S C

16/05/2019 12:32:19

The tread mill motor that I had was 1,2 hp at 200v DC, permanent magnet. To reverse just swap the + -. It worked well as a generator, but now back in motor service driving a water pump from a generator driven by a single cylinder stationary engine(demo at shows).

Ian S C

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/05/2019 13:07:13

I made a wind vane model of my favourate aeroplane, a Cessna 185 B at least 10 years ago using plastic realestate signs made of Coreflute or similar type of plastic, no structural failures, even with wind to 100 kph, and snow loaded about a foot on top of it at another time. Had to replace the prop bearing 4 or 5 years ago. Can't remember what glue was used, probably epoxy from the $2 dollar shop.

Ian S C

004 (640x480).jpg

Thread: Impressive Workshop in Germany
14/05/2019 13:51:01

Notice the blue disk on the workshop door, it's got a boot on it!

Ian S C

Thread: James Maiwald Flame Licker / Flame Gulper doing some work
13/05/2019 12:36:47

Here is one of my flame gulpers with a brake on it, the weight is 1 oz, sorry no video, belted up to a small electric motor as a generator it will power a small transistor radio.

Ian S C

dsc01198 (640x480).jpg

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
11/05/2019 13:44:08

The NZ govt has been looking at increasing the amount of geothermal power generation along with wind and solar. The greenies have put an end to any much more hydro power schemes. Eventually Nuclear power will probably be required, but a good many of the locals are a bit funny about this idea.

Ian S C

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest