By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Dawes

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Dawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is this a daft idea please?
05/03/2021 12:24:13

I guess it would be a daft idea if you have typical shed wooden floor!!

Assume it is concrete however, so go for it I say if it fits and you have room to actually work it.

Bill D.

Thread: 2-Part Covid Vaccinations
03/03/2021 14:48:56

That would be logical explanation although I would expect the conventional way for the Y axis would be hundreds x 1000.

Bill D.

03/03/2021 10:03:20

Looking at Peter Greene's graph I must be particularly dense this morning, it is peaking around the 6000 mark, I don't know what the UK figure were on the first day or so of roll out but for some time now we have been in the hundreds of thousands per day, over half a million at times, someone put me out of my misery please and explain where I am going wrong in my interpretation, surprised no one else has not commented which makes me think it is me.

Bill D.

Thread: You think you have trouble starting your car on a cold morning?
19/02/2021 14:11:53

I remember back in the 60s still living with my parents in Brum being woken up every morning by a builder trying to start his Ford Cortina estate, it just churned over and over for what seemed eternity. From that day on I have always contended that Ford were pioneers in long life batteries.

Bill D.

Thread: To oil or not to oil
12/02/2021 17:51:22

When I bought my first lathe about 10 years ago (maybe more) full of enthusiasm and memories of my apprentiship shop floor days, I also bought a 'suds' pump. Used it a few times but got fed up with the mess and haven't used it for some time. Sometimes use suds oil in an old ketchup squeezy bottle or even just a squirt of oil from my oil can. Difference between model engineering and industrial scale heavy machining.

Machined a lot of cast iron in those days (imagine a 16 year old tramping up the road on the way home, had it been Barnsley rather than Brum I would have been mistaken for a miner) which is pretty much self lubricating, lubricant creates one hell of a mess I can tell you and especially drilling the mixture of fine dust and a liquid would quickly jam the drill.

I have found my early days of working to the book on this and cutting speeds have pretty much gone, I just judge what seems to be the correct speed, like most people I guess.

Bill D.

Thread: crane uprate - where would you add some metal ?
08/02/2021 23:01:41

The etc etc does of course include strength of the lifting chain and hook, shear strength of the section where the chain is attached to the jib, etc etc.

Bill D.

08/02/2021 22:57:59

I would say the weakest component is the jib which is subject to bending forces. The resultant force in the upright will be tensile so will have greater stength than bending resistance in the jib, but taking into account the ram power and its fixing point at the bottom, the resistance to splaying of the feet, strength of the castors etc etc, I go along with the others, don't do it, theoretically it could be done but you would finish up making a new one, not worth the effort or risk.

Bill D.

Thread: Poor websites
30/01/2021 15:45:10

I take the point about cost but I would think small companies these days use off the shelf e-commerce solutions.

I come back to my comments about companies like Macc and BA bolts that I have used , excellent websites.

Bill D.

27/01/2021 18:37:22

Agree James, not all business suited to online ordering it has to be proprietary stuff off the shelf really, my own company has a website but you can't order anything, too many whistles and bells. The fact is though that thankfully most of the suppliers we use in the world of ME have good websites.

Bill D.

26/01/2021 22:49:39

I should be ashamed of myself really not making one having spent a lifetime in industrial fan enginerering and semi retired engineering manager of a fan company. I decided i'm taking long enough making my 5" loco without making fans!!

I could get one made at work i suppose if I don't mind 8mm plate and a 200kw motor!

On the subject of making related items I will have a driving truck to make/aquire, having another browse came across Phoenix locos who do driving trucks amongst others including a running chassis kit.

Anyone had any experience of these.

Bill D.

26/01/2021 18:46:23

It just smacks of can't be arsed to me.

Phoning is fine if you can get through, a sore point with me at the moment suffering from hair tearing frustration at trying to get through to some companies by any means let alone phone, giving email adresses these days seems a no go for some companies. To be fair these have been large utilities, a total nightmare at the moment, not any of our suppliers.

Will give someone a ring for my blower and hope for the best. On which subject any suggestions for supplier of these that will give me good service?

Bill D.

26/01/2021 18:11:48

In this day and age is there any excuse for some of the poor websites of certain suppliers.

Just browsing for a steam raising blower I came across one site that just had a picture and bit of description, no means of ordering on line.

If Macc models, one man and his wife as far as I can make out, can have an excellent website why can't they all.

Bill D.

Thread: So Much For CE Labels!
25/01/2021 12:16:16

Firstly I agree with comments about the CE mark not being a guarantee, it does not indicate anything other than goods thus marked must comply with all relevent EU Directives and Regulations. Now obviously like all trade marks it can be a false claim by unscrupulous parties, all too frequent these days. Compliance with these Directives usually involves manufacturing to a BS, EN or ISO standard (or BS EN ISO). A bit like the ISO9001 quality system, it gurantees nothing other than you have a good system of recording and traceability etc.

I work part time now as engineering manager and have been closely involved for many years with compliance, lately changing documentation and checking compliance with equivalent UK regulations. They are pretty much as EU ones as they were incorporated into UK law.

So we now have the UKCA (United Kingdom Conformity Assessed) mark.

The CE mark can be used alongside for this year probably.

UKCA applies to England Scotalnd and Wales, Northern Ireland remains as CE mark only.

The UKCA mark is not accepted in the EU so the CE mark remains.

Generally I found this fairly straightforward, I think the main problem we will have is actually knowing where our products are going to ensure the correct marking. With the CE mark previously the problem was theoretically the same but in reality we just put the CE mark on everything and seemed to work ok. Unfortunately our EU friends in their wisdom have decided they will have no truck with the UKCA mark appearing.

Bill D.

Thread: Clarke collet chuck
21/01/2021 19:29:13

Hi all, does anyone know if the Clarke collet chuck is to any particular standard, they don't seem to sell a range of optional size collets, looking for some imperial ones, they are longer than say ER collets.

I have an ER chuck for my mill, but bought this Clarke one when I had a CL500M lathe, thought I would keep the Clarke one to use in my later Warco lathe.

Bill D.

Thread: Dome bush
21/01/2021 19:13:31

Hi all, an issue that has nagged at me ever since i started soldering up my boiler, should the dome bush have been profiled to fit the curvature of the boiler. The drawing (Emma Victoria) does not seem to show this so it was done as the words and music meaning of course that it is retained by the silver solder just around the hole in the boiler shell rather than over the greater area of the bush diameter.

None of the other top bushes are profiled but they are not so large and therefore less obvious.

Just finishing off the smokebox stays so pretty much finished (well until I pressure test and find I have tp start again!!)

Appreciate your experiences guys.

Bill D.

Thread: Value opinions for used clarke CL500M
23/12/2020 18:30:54

Two grand for a second hand one? they are only about £1500 new at the moment, I paid about £1100 with stand for mine and they seemed to stay at that price for years.

Bill D.

22/12/2020 17:34:26

I bought a new 500M some while ago, served my purpose for a few years and gave me a milling head which, if limited, was useful. Now uograded to a Warco 290V which I love, powered feeds and variable speed so useful, a lot more money of course.

Sold my 500M for about £500 which after about 5 years use was not a bad deal.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you want in terms of features and quality versus what you can afford.

Unless you have an unlimited budget most things we buy are a compromise between features and quality.

I remember seeing a Myford at a ME exhibition, probably the last before they went bust, and was quite shocked at the price, about £13k if I remember correctly, about 4 times what I paid for my Warco, very nice quality but fairly basic by todays standards. On that score surprised they haven't been reintroduced as a made in china job by the people that bought them.

Bill D.

Thread: Applause 4 Arc
16/12/2020 16:22:35

In my experience you will not go far wrong ordering from Ketan.

To be fair though I have always been pleased with service I have had from our suppliers particularly Macc who I use a lot for materials.

My wife recently ordered a birthday present for me off Machine Mart and was very impressed with the amount of updates on progress and the speed of arrival.

Bill D.

Thread: My Bungalow fogs up outside
15/12/2020 17:43:00

We had new DG windows last year and also experienced this phenomenon, I put it down to more efficient heat retention than the old ones making the outside glass colder.

Bill D.

Thread: Amazon
12/12/2020 19:48:44

Thanks guys, haven't had time today so will try again tomorrow.

Bill D.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate