By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Dawes

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Dawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which New Lathe; choices, choices...
28/11/2010 17:35:58
I bought a Clarke CL500M a couple of years ago. I was not sure if the desire to get involved in model engineering would last or how serious it would get but I thought that for about £800 for a brand new machine I could not go far wrong. I have to say that so far I am pleased with my choice. I accept it does not have the quality of Myford etc but having seen a recent advert for a Myford for about 9 grand, well it takes a lot of justification for that sort of money. Lovely looking machine and would love to have one but that is some way off if ever.
The versatilty of the lathe/mill has been a godsend. i know all the arguments about used quality machines etc and this no doubt is the way many people prefer to go and I wouldn't argue that is the right way for them but for the moment the CL500M does me just fine. I have improved it lately by changing to a 3 phase motor and a WEG inverter which is brilliant although still refining the right combination of pulley ratios to get optimum speed/torque out of the motor.
The weight of the CL500M is about 350kg if I remember right but as someone else said it is not likely you will be moving it around frequently (I assume) a one off hire charge for an engine hoist sorted that problem out.
Bill Dawes
Thread: Belts - Maintainence & when to change?
09/10/2010 13:07:59
PS.
Would reiterate advice on spraying, vee/wedge belts don't need it, I remember from my apprenticeship days this was common on the old flat belt days (a sticky tar like substance) we had 'Johnny the oiler' who came round squirting oil over everything and 'dressing' the belts. Drive ratios were changed with a deft flick of the hand to flip the belt up/down a pulley, taking care to avoid slashing your hand on the clip that joined the belt together. Ah the good old days, would be H&S nightmare now.
Bill D.
09/10/2010 13:00:25
Try the ERIKS website, they are the people that bought out the famous Fenner brand, lots of useful info on all power transmission products although could not find a PDF specifically on belt maintenenance.
Bill D.
Thread: Soft Jaws
28/08/2010 19:44:16
Hi all, does anyone know if I am likely to find a source of supply for soft jaws for a 3 jaw chuck I have. It is a 5" and bears the name 'Baige', Chinese made I think and supplied by Machine Mart but they are unable to help.
Bill D.
Thread: Brazing torch
23/03/2010 19:11:09
I am looking to buy a gas torch for brazing/silver soldering but a bit confused with all the options of butane, propane, butane/propane mix & MAPP.
I was thinking along the lines of a torch with disposable canister attached ( I anticipate it will be occasional use only) however as we do caravanning do have larger gas bottles (both propane and butane at the moment) but any guidance welcome.
I have a camping gaz butane canister torch that I have used for many years on plumbing jobs but assume it will not be hot enough for brazing.
Bill Dawes.
Thread: Subscription and delivery of MEW
05/03/2010 10:25:23
It seems to be just a recent problem, have subscribed to ME for 2 years without any problems, subs to MEW in Dec at exhibition and received issue 161 before (after much chasing) 160 arrived. Hope it all goes smoothly from now on.
Bill Dawes
Thread: Sandown Model Engineer Exhibition 2009
14/12/2009 20:22:01
I do of course mean the 24 cylinder Napier.
Bill D.
Thread: Index
14/12/2009 19:35:06
Hi all, I have been subscribing to ME for about 18 months now and have 1 index- up to Dec 08. Have I mislaid later ones and can I download copy or have they not been published.

Bill D.
Thread: Sandown Model Engineer Exhibition 2009
14/12/2009 19:19:23
Went to Sandown on Sat. 12th. This was my first visit to a MEX and was very impressed.
I live in Somerset but was worth the 140 mile trip. An absolute Alladins cave of bits and superb exhibits. Could have gone home with a truckful but had to make do with a set of Glanze turning tools (birthday presssie) My wife bless her came along too and she also enjoyed it, was particularly awe inspired with the Napier 12 cyl engine, an absolute masterpiece.
Felt sorry for the chap trying to get his jet engine going, did he in the end?
Bill D.
Thread: Gear milling
10/12/2009 21:47:05
That's great, thank you very much. Had a look at Tracy Tools website and have sent off for catalogue.

Best regards
Bill Dawes
10/12/2009 12:59:03
Anyone done any gear cutting with a milling cutter. I did some proper gear hobbing in my apprenticeship days many moons ago but my workshop won't run to that. Not found any supplier so far that does such a cutter.
I have Tubal Caines hand little book and it states that the type of cutter determines the size of gear you can cut (or visa versa I suppose)

Bill D.
Thread: Gear wheels
06/12/2009 11:54:32
 Less haste more speed!! It's Sunday morning and breaking off decorating to attend to this.

Thanks to all, useful info. Thought the HPC website excellent.
Bill D.
06/12/2009 11:51:14
Thanks to all, useful info. Tthought the HPC website excelleny.
Bill D.
04/12/2009 12:38:44
Hi all.
I am planning to make the sheet metal rolls featured some time ago in ME.
This requires some gears to link the rolls, I have done many searches on the web but not yet found anything, does anyone have a source of supply for such things. I am talking steel gears rather than plastic of course.
Bill D.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest