By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Dawes

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Dawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Another silver solder question
15/08/2013 10:00:38

Thanks for advice guys, one final (for the moment) question, I am never sure what size of rod to use, is there a 'formula' or rule of thumb for this. I assume it depends on type of joint / mass of metal etc.

Regards

Bill D.

10/08/2013 13:42:58

Thanks guys and particularly Keith who helped me in the past with my GLR boiler. I understand better now the distinction between hot rodding as an addition to normal joint fluxing rather than trying to using it as the only means of fluxing.

Had another read of the Cup alloys guidance which is excellent.

I think I will have a few practice runs on different joints to try to brush up my technique, within the realms of affordability of the silver solder of course. Problem is that I have found that a small joint with very little mass of metal is easy to heat up and get a successful joint, very diifferent to heating up a whole boiler., would another gas cylinder and torch benefit in this respect?

Incidentally has solder come down in price, read the other day that silver prices have dropped sharply, maybe a good time to stock up a bit.

Regards

Bill D

09/08/2013 12:28:31

Hi all, as part of my deliberations on the building of Emma Victoria, (I have started, all the 'easy bits' so far) I am reviewing silver soldering practices in readiness for the day I get to the boiler. After my traumas with a GLR vertical boiler I look forward to this with some trepidation I have to admit as I am sure a loco boiler is several steps up from a simple verical boiler although hopefully I have learnt a thing or two now.

My question is, looking back through many issues of ME I have come across reference to people hot rodding, these people seem to be experienced model engineers, however on the Cup Alloys website for instance they advise that hot rodding is not a good idea.

Another issue I struggle with is one of direct heat, avoid direct heat is often quoted yet I have seen in several photos and UTube videos the flame being applied directly to the joint.

Any guidance will be appreciated from you silver solder gurus.

Regards

Bill D.

Thread: Emma Victoria component source
06/08/2013 22:34:24

Following on from my last post I also ordered some materials from Macc. All ok apart from a missing piece of stainless steel, ordered two but only one in the pack. It happens, so sent e-mail a couple of weeks ago and a chase last week but still no reply. I recall similar posts about slow response from Macc, will I eventually get a reply? Bill D

Thread: Complete novice
06/08/2013 22:22:41

Hi Paul, I have been in engineering all my working life but apart from my apprenticeship, about 50 years ago! my experience is all tech sales and design so I am not an accomplished machinist.Started model engineering a couple of years ago, so far built a Jan Ridders 2 stroke engine, a Weir pump, not quite complete and a GLR vertical boiler. Never had any interest in a loco until the series on Emma Victoria started, a 5" gauge saddle tank, this somehow fired my imagination. It is, I understand a relatively simple loco, so I made a start few weeks ago and finding it completely absorbing. Why not have look at this one? Bill D

Thread: Emma Victoria component source
26/07/2013 11:28:28

Thanks for help to all. Ordered bearings from Simply Bearings, Springs from Lee springs, both yesterday, ordered cast wheels from Reeves Wed evening, all arrived today. Excellent service I think deserving of a mention.Bill D

24/07/2013 19:27:04

Thanks for that Dave.

Another problem guys, I broke the tip of a centre drill (HSS) while drilling the cross beams, is it possible to soften it to enable drilling out or is it a 'scrapper'

Bill

24/07/2013 18:50:34

Thanks Guys, really useful.

Bill D

PS as you can see I can scroll down with the enter key as this is on my PC, can't do it on my laptop for some reason, any suggestions?

22/07/2013 23:36:22

Hi all, made a start on Emma, having trouble in sourcing specified sizes of Oilite bushes and the springs. Any suggestions? Also for you computer buffs, as you can see I am unable to scroll down for a new paragraph with the enter button on my laptop. My PC is ok so guess there is a setting somewhere. Bill D.

Thread: Emma Victoria
07/07/2013 11:23:29

Hi Stephen, good job you asked because they are not always consecutive issues, so here goes.14 Dec 2012, 28 Dec, 25 Jan 2013, 8 Feb, 8 March, 5 April, 3 May, 31 May. Sorry this is a bit messy, my line spacing has stopped working for some reason. Bill

Thread: Weir donkey pump
03/07/2013 18:58:09

Thanks to all for your help and especially John who has sent me a copy of the original ME article dated 1933!

I was determined to suss it out myself ( a man thing I suppose) but had to admit defeat in the end,

Just shows what a wealth of knowledge and willingness to help others is out there.

Regards to all.

Bill D

02/07/2013 10:52:58

Hi John, fantastic that was exactly the reply I was hoping for. Yes the drawing does mention the ME articles. If there is anway I could get a copy I would be grateful.

It is mainly the steam passages I am grappling with. Steam engines are new to me so hopefully when I have done a few it will begin to make more sense.

Thanks to you as well Eric.

Bill D.

01/07/2013 22:27:22

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help. I am currently building a Weir donkey pump I bought as a kit a while ago. This is for the GLR vertical boiler I have just finished. I am having a few problems getting to grips with some of the dimensions, there are very few on the drawing, it appears to assume you know how it all works anyway.The drawing is by LSBC and dated 1933.Has anyone else built this pump? Bill D.

23/06/2013 12:01:48

Hi Mike, thanks for that. Interested in your comment about the wheels, I have been debating whether to go the steel or cast route, was leaning towards cast ones. Looks as if I need to get them on order.Also had same debate on the cylinders but when I saw the price of the cast ones decided on fabricated ones. Bill D

22/06/2013 21:59:07

Hi all.

Gathering my thoughts together with a view to building Emma. Looking at prices of various materials I see that gun metal is quite a bit cheaper than phosphor bronze. Would GM be ok for the cylinders or is PB much more preferable.

My source supplies PB in 1 1/2" but GM in 1 5/8" which gives a bit over for machining to the finished 1 1/2"

(I see from previous posts that some people are not only on with the build but keeping up with the series, don't know how they do it!)

Many thanks.

Regards

Bill D.

Thread: Number drills
13/06/2013 22:07:17

I have been following the Emma Victoria series with interest.

I notice on the drawings that number drills are frequently specified.

Is it advisable to stick with these or is there a good reason not to use nearest metric equivalent.

Why are number drills still used, authenticity?

Advise from the experts would be appreciated, i am seriously considering having a go at this project so just getting my thoughts together and compiling a list of materials/tools I might need to aquire.

Regards to all

Bill D

Thread: Which vice?
08/04/2013 13:38:01

Vice or Vise? I have some very old engineers catalogues which refers to them as a Vise, I thought Vice was one of naughty things you should not have but do.

Anyone know when Vice became the common name for that grippy thing on your workbench?

Bill D

05/04/2013 12:20:50

Thanks guys and thanks to Hobbynut for photos, really useful.

Not sure when I will start on this one, it is in my ever growing list of future projects. Does anyone else do this, have a list of projects and maybe start to gather together bits of materials/tools or do you just concentrate on one project at a time.

Bill D.

04/04/2013 11:37:57

Hi all, I have never built a steam loco and up until recently did not have any particular interest in doing so, however there was something about Emma Victoria that caught my interest. Not started anything yet but have been following series so that if I do start I will have got things a bit sorted in my little brain. Having been in engineering all my life (but newcomer to model engineering) I thought I could read a drawing reasonably well so am a bit reluctant to admit I struggled to understand the fabricated cylinder block drawing (ME 8-21 March) does anyone that is well advanced on construction have any pics? Maybe I just need to spend a bit more pondering time until the penny drops. I suppose it helps if you are familiar with loco design (which I am not) and can visualise what the finished part looks like. Bill D. (sorry my enter key will not let me start a new paragraph for some reason)

Thread: silver solder disaster part 2
11/02/2013 23:50:58

Successful hydaulic test, check valve was fine, steam trial next. Thanks for you help on this and my previous woes.

Silver soldering a boiler is certainly a job to try and get right first time!

Bill D

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate