By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for bricky

Here is a list of all the postings bricky has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: slipping chuck
18/05/2022 17:10:12

Thanks to all for the input,I will check everything as suggested and possibly use locktite.

Frank

Thread: Time to Say Goodbye
17/05/2022 21:21:09

My magazine has always been delivered which I prefer to reading digital copy.I have no complaints .

Frank

Thread: slipping chuck
17/05/2022 21:05:37

The drill is a startrite Mk2 and I have owned this, drill bought from a factory,Frank for 30+ years and never had a problem until now.I don't know what the quill taper is but the chuck is original.I don't take a a ball pein hammer to it but a dead blow hammer to just tap it back up.

Frank

17/05/2022 12:35:48

I have a problem with my drill chuck comeing adrift from it's taper,having hammered it back on a few times I could do with some ideas how to prevent this as it's getting tiresome.

Frank

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
30/04/2022 20:54:14

I drilled and tapped a 1/2" steel plate with a 5/8" acme thread.The tap was from Tracy tools and I was just able to use it on the SX3 with the use of two angle plates bolted at right angles with the horizontal angle plate having a 3/4" hole in it so that the tap could go through the plate and piece I was tapping.My friend who was going to add pressure to the tap with a centre in the quill while I turned the tap,but he was out and I had to do it myself.This was a brutal exercise and I was knackered when finished.Until I had finished I didn't know if I was tapping or reaming the hole .What a great relief when I had got through to find that I had a thred and even better when I tried the lead screw that I had cut previously fitted .The next one has to go through 1" cast iron and I definately will need help,but I am happy with todays work.The cast Came from M-Machine tools orderd at 1am and delivered next day at 12am and the same with Tracy tools .I am not associated with these companies ,but what service.

Frank

Thread: tumbler gear arbours on a myford
23/04/2022 19:11:36

Thanks Bernard that explains it .My lathe is a S7 Plus large bore,thanks to all who replied.

Frank

23/04/2022 11:55:45

Following the debacle over the jiggered lathe I am trying to remove the arbours but with little success I don't know wether they are right or left hand threaded and there is little to get hold of .Has anyone had to remove these arbours,if so I need suggestions as they have been soaking in WD40 for two days and I can't shift them.

Frank

Thread: jiggered lathe
21/04/2022 14:57:47

Thank you for that link I have been able to obtain the other gear, a great result.thumbs up

Frank

21/04/2022 12:21:29

I phoned RDG and the lady who answered said that they were not Myford I needed the Myford site,but she asked what I needed and when I gave her the code numbers she looked them up and found that there was one availiable and out of stock with the other.She sold me the gear and they must have access to each others products.Whilst I am on does anyone know how the pinion arbours are attached to the reverse lever as they don't have any means of undoing them from the front unless one grips the front and unscrews them.I don't want to create another disaster.

Frank

20/04/2022 22:28:37

Thats good to know David,I checked the set up and as it is a left hand thread I tried the tailstock centre and it was not tight in the centre hole anymore and I think that the thread was forceing the work into the collet causing the work to ocilate and the tool to jam breaking the gears.I have sourced one gear from RDG but they say they are out of stock of the other and won't have another order for two months.

Frank

19/04/2022 21:59:06

Thank you both for that info.

frank

19/04/2022 20:23:34

After making a acme lead screw I decided to make a tap.I chose some silver steel and started to cut the thread ,the silver steel was a big mistake as nearing the end of the first pass there was a horrid noise.I have nackered the tumbler gears,fortunately they are made from a composite material and are designed to destruct under stress to save the lathes gears.Not only have I got to buy new gears but a 5/8" 8Tpi L/h tap too.Don't you just love making a fool of yourself.I hope RDG stock replacement Myford gears.

Frank

Thread: Acme internal threading
17/04/2022 19:31:00

Finished the leadscrew and now I will make the tap from silver steel,thanks to Andy's post I now know what I am up against.

Frank

15/04/2022 20:32:02

I have the same problem .I have to cut the thread and then cut the nut.The thread is acme 5/8" 8 8Tpi,.The leadscrew is for a shaper I am making, with 275mm of thread in the middle of 595mm overall leadscrew.I have cut threads before but never this long ,daunting prospect but I am looking foreward to it.The threaded nut not so much,as I have a leadscrew from a milling machine and I thought I could use part of the unworn section and make a tapered tap and case harden it and then will buy a tap to finish.I don't know if this will work ,but I will have a go and would appreciate any thoughts on my idea.

Frank

Thread: Gear cutting basics help needed.
03/04/2022 20:53:45

I have made two regulators in the past and I made my own fly cutters from broken centre drills and mounted in a cutter bar made from stock.This cutter bar can be mounted in the mill.In my case I had two revolving centres with the cutterbar mounted between centres with a pulley attached driven from a motor at the rear, as the lathe is not fast enough for a fly cutter.The Myford dividing head was set at an angle on a adjustable milling slide and driven over the cutter.I never bought any cutters for either clock.

Frank

Thread: You meet the nicest people with a Cowells
31/03/2022 15:32:05

I started out clock making with a basic turns and then I was fortunate in buying a Perris lathe ,this was a great machine and I learned a lot from using it.The Cowell lathe is an upmarket version of the Perris and is good machine for it's size.

Frank

Thread: tapered tap
06/03/2022 13:33:55

I have in my posetion a wooden pantograph by Conti of Paris,both of the split tapered collets for holding the lead and a stylus have their tapered threaded closers missing.I have this implement for 40years and was given it by an old friend whose farther used it at the turn of the last century.I would like to make the collet closers and I am unawhere of any suppliers of tapered taps unless someone knows of one.Failing not being able to get one I will have to make one.The dimentions of the collet are 8.85mm long 6mm tapering to 4.13 the thread is 0.7 mm.My trigonemetry is not good so if someone can work out an included angle for me it would be much appreciated.Working with pencil and paper I got it to 8 degrees but I am sure I will be out.

Frank

Thread: Financial surnames
05/03/2022 16:14:54

My last dentists name was Payne.

Frank

05/03/2022 09:42:23

A ground worker who worked for our firm was call bob but was reffered to as shilling.

Frank

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
04/03/2022 15:47:47

Trying to flatten the cross rail for the shaper I am building on the mill.As the rail is 420 long and 100 wide there is only the side slot uncovered .After clamping, I milled one side at a time.As the bow was in the middle I could only clamp at the ends and this didn't help the bow which was reduced but still there.I filed the area where the rail bolts onto the table riser.I was then able to turn it over and clamp the rail in the middle through the nut slot.I had to reduce the ends and then moved the clamps and milled the middle section.I now have a flat rail.

Frank

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest