By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for bricky

Here is a list of all the postings bricky has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Digital Callipers - again
24/02/2021 21:06:38

I have a Baty digital which has been very good.

Frank

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
23/02/2021 22:25:21

I got the city wrong,it was Bingley Hall Birmingham that I saw the merlin engine.

Frank

Thread: Building a small bench
23/02/2021 21:57:05

I built my bench from 8'*3' pine with 4" legs with cross members to take an 8'sheetof 3/4"ply 2' 6" wide which I have now reduced to 6'.This bench is a mistake as one stores everything on top and one still works in a small space.I like the ply top as the tea does not get cold to soon and screwing items to the top is a bonus,and nicks in the edge are convenient for holding small items for filing.I have had this bench for 40 years and built it from spare materials off site when I was a site foreman.

Frank

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
23/02/2021 21:39:30

I saw a merlin engine model at a hall in Leicester that has burnt down I think.This would be around 40 years ago.It was run but I could not get near enough to see it,but boy could you hear it.At this show was an spectacular radial engine that I could never imagine having the skill to achieve anything like it and I haven't come anywhere close.

Frank

Thread: Recommendation for next project
07/02/2021 23:35:18

Brian Rupnow does great plans for a small 4 stroke single cylinder engine .It's called a Rockerblock and it works a treat,I am now building an air cooled verticle engine of his design.His plans are excellent and at a reasonable price,He is also helpful if you need help ,the plans are sent to your computer as a file.The present engine is called a Thumper Rockerblock.The bulk of the aluminium cost about 200gbp.

Frank

Thread: Hey you! What lathe? Why?
06/02/2021 12:56:41

I have two Myfords,the oldest has no gearbox and is 63years old .I had it reground at Myfords 2006 and it is still a very accurate lathe .My other lahte is a large bore S7 Plus, which I bought at the Myford closing down sale it is a nice lathe to use for what I make.I made a 2" traction engine but Bought a Ward2A to turn the wheels and you certainly notice the difference in rigidity .I sold it to a factory for what I paid for it 400gbp in the mid eighties. Get the biggest you can accomodate and afford, you have to decide on the size of your projects in the future also.

Frank

Thread: JB weld
03/02/2021 23:13:15

I am building an engine with two flywheels with fan blades instead of spokes for air cooling.It has caused me to make jigs to build them.The blades will be spot welded in position. I will use JB weld to create fillets at the joins and was wondering if the JB weld in a small spot will hold the blades whilst they are spot welded.Can someone recomend the correct JB and a supplier.

Frank

Thread: Myford drive belt
30/01/2021 11:52:33

Brammer belt, but the one with the metal rivet head if they are still availible ,they are a composite material and give a good grip.I have an old S7 which was fitted with a Brammer belt to stop vibration 32 years ago and is still going.I tried the new twist type of belt on my other S7 but got nothing but slippage,so I removed the spindle and fitted the correct v belt which cured the problem.

Frank

Thread: flywheel construction
27/01/2021 19:13:40

Thanks Jason,you have to bore the hub to size as there is a jig to make with a 45 deg, slope to fit a pin of 1/2" so that the slots for the blades can be cut in the hub.I will do as you suggest .The jig for welding will be next after the rims.Thanks again.

Frank

27/01/2021 13:06:50

I am building 2 flywheels for Brian Rupnows Thumper Rockerblock i/c engine.I have made the hubs and am starting on the 6" rims which are joined to the hubs with veins at an angle to make fans to cool the cylinder.These fan blades are welded in both the hubs and the rims.The rims finish at 3/4" and I ask for advice on how much to leave on the rims in case of distortion after being welded.

Thread: New Hampshire member
27/01/2021 08:51:50

High Clay and welcome.I too was a builder for 50 years and have been into this hobby since the mid 70,s.Get started and all the help you require will be answered by someone on the forum,you can't ask for a better forum.

Frank

Thread: THUMBS
24/01/2021 10:10:58

I have acute arthritus in my thumbs, I can sympathise with you as I have difficulty in turning my rotary table and had to make a 4" hand wheel to relieve the pain.Picking up small items and hand tapping is also a problem,turning feed screws is also painful.I love this hobby,if I did not I would give it up but I will not be beat.All the best to every one and stay safe.

Frank

Thread: Myford ml7 about to buy
12/01/2021 15:18:39

My old S7 1957 vintage had a regrind at Myfords in 09 and was 317GBP so given inflation in 11 years I'm not surprised at that price.Well worth the expense and it made a new lathe out of it.

Frank

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
10/01/2021 11:14:42

Money for nothing ,this programe lets people believe this is possible.Have you tried to get scrap from your tip.I got a block of steel 6'*6'*6" from the tip but had to pay the operator 10 pounds to sneak it into my boot without the foreman noticing.The presenters time at the tip is not considered in the costing or the travel involved,so don't kid us it's money for nothing.

Thread: Gloves and machine tools - my stupidity.
04/01/2021 19:34:28

I always use nitrile gloves on the mill and lathe,but on the bandsaw I use a pair of very thick industrial leather gloves which have saved me on occasion.When I used to work I was using a 9" disc cutter on brickwork when finished it was idleing to stop when inatention let it catch my wrist, just missing my artery it ground a groove but didn't bleed ,then I noticed a fibre off the wheel sticking out,this fibre had travelled under the skin nearly around my wrist.I pulled it out with a pair of pliers.A very close shave and another lesson learned.

Frank

Thread: face milling
30/12/2020 15:23:19

Tank you all, I was feeding to slow and rpm not fast enough ,it is great to have such a quick response and a great forum.

Frank

30/12/2020 10:49:02

That is correct Jason it is 40mm.I have been milling 2" flat mild steel.

30/12/2020 08:12:38

I have a arc euro three insert face mill cutter and using on a SX3 mill.I have been taking .5mm cuts and with new inserts and the head wags side to side at 400 rpm.Is the cut to deep and the feed to fast.I find that my flycutter at 75mm sweep at.5mm and 400rpm creates barely a murmer at the head ,can someone put me right.Feed for both was 1" per minute.

Frank

Thread: Hacksaw blade orientation - your opinion please
12/12/2020 13:38:19

I have used japanese pull saws for years but they were soon used only for bench work as site work was to demanding on the upper arm muscle when cutting tmber.I could see the same being true on a large hacksaw but it would not pose a problem on a junior one.

Frank

Thread: Pea shooters illegal
12/12/2020 13:22:14

Back in the mid 50's we used to buy dried peas from the seed merchants and take them to the Saturday flicks.The manager finally told us that they were banned as repeated firing at the film was damaging the screen.The Saturday morning flicks were 6d .

Frank

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest