By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for bricky

Here is a list of all the postings bricky has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rust Protection
24/10/2021 16:14:26

A Dehumidifier on economy seven, plus in mid winter hesian sacks ,this works well for me .I don't know how much this costs though,I might have to think again with the price rises forecast.I don't heat the workshop so that I don't get fluctuations in temperature which can cause condensation to form,I just dress appropriatley when working.

Frank

Thread: Super 7 questions
19/10/2021 19:29:18

I bought one of these guns when first on the market then about 90 gbp ,but it has always leakedwhere you arrowed and ptfe has never cured it ,I have resigned myself to a leaky gun.

Frank

Thread: Accuracy of BDMS
15/10/2021 09:32:58

I have not seen this machine but I used to have to cut from a 100mm log of lignum viti a slice 1 1/2" thick and cut it square to fit in an angle iron support.The engineer who I did this for would drill the timber to take a verticle shaft in a large food mixer and as it is self lubricating they lasted a long time.I don't know if that might be of any help but it worked.I did ask him why not use ball bearings he replied that they always did it like this and it worked so why change it.Cutting the timber did,t do my band saw a lot of good it's hard.

Frank

Thread: What was the purpose of these tools
07/10/2021 21:41:38

I stand corrected ,but for any level to get a correct fall in a long length of run would have to be dead central on the individual pipes.The level seems to be stuck on drainage ,has anyone got any ideas on the other object.

Frank

07/10/2021 21:41:12

I stand corrected ,but for any level to get a correct fall in a long length of run would have to be dead central on the individual pipes.The level seems to be stuck on drainage ,has anyone got any ideas on the other object.

Frank

07/10/2021 18:31:53

Sewers were laid to a fall of 1 in 40 so that solids would not be left in the drain .The way to lay drains is to set your staff in the proposed manhole and work out the fall to the next pit with a dumpy level or a water level ,pegs were driven into the trench bottom in the older drainage to pack bricks to lay the eathenware pipes on, with the use of boneing rods , modern plasic pipes would be laid on gravel we never used a level in drain laying apart from seting out.I have done a lot of drainage and have not seen anyone lay lengths of drainage with a level.I don't think that was it's use and the two items are not related .

Frank

07/10/2021 12:34:52

The brass slide has a 1" scale on it.Drains are laid with a 1 in 40 fall so that would leave a lot of scale unused.

Frank

07/10/2021 09:10:10

Forget that I didn't scroll down far enough and they are further down.

Frank

07/10/2021 09:07:08

This was my first attempt at including images in a post and I have not got any words included.I added them first is that correct.

07/10/2021 09:03:02

unadjustednonraw_thumb_258.jpgunadjustednonraw_thumb_257.jpgunadjustednonraw_thumb_255.jpgunadjustednonraw_thumb_254.jpgI have had these tools for years and don't know what they would have been used for .Does anybody knowunadjustednonraw_thumb_248.jpg

Thread: Gas engine
03/10/2021 10:27:21

The illutration for the engine are now in my album as I have never added images to my posts I don't know how many could be incorporated and as there are 15 it might be a challenge .

Frank

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2021 06:56:48

02/10/2021 13:07:38

Thanks Jason that valve is totaly different from the illustrated valve and yours looks simpler to make and is the way to go.I will try to get the illustrations on the post.The drawings are done full size and I cannot do cad drawing so unless I do a small scale drawings I can't post them but eventualy I will try.I am still at the stage of working out if I should proceed.

Frank

01/10/2021 20:58:50

Thanks to all the information given,it seems that it will run and that gives me encouragement to persue this project.

Frank

01/10/2021 15:43:08

I bought a Stationary Engine magazine June 2021 No567,In which was an article by George Barrett on THe Boys Own Paper Engine.This gas engine was designed by Henry Fuller Hobden in 1895 and was designed to be made on a 3.5' gap bed lathe.Mr barrett was seeking information on this engine as he wished to build it,I too am interested in this engine .I can't get make patterns for this engine as it requires a water jacket and my knowledge of patter makeing is limited,also there is no casting factory nearby.I have done a full size drawing of this engine from the illustrations so that I would be able to make it in stock material.The main question I have is that the given dimention for the combustion chamber at TDC is 1.375" and the diameter is 1.5" with a .5"gas inlet vave on the side of this chamber, this chamber seems huge.The air and gas are forced into an external 4"*.375"verticle steel tube on the cylinder head which is heated by a flame from below .The gas is forced into this hot tube and causes the ignition.The other question is what type of gas to use.I can make it but what is the opinion of others as to it working.In 2016 I think it was raised by George Barrett on the forum but I can't find the coments made at the time.

Frank

Edited By JasonB on 05/10/2021 07:29:54

Thread: Soft floor and lathe...
21/09/2021 19:20:07

As you are in a cellar.it sounds like the floor is layed on battens on the original cellar floor.If this is the case why not remove a section of the timber overlay and level back up with concrete.

Frank

Thread: wireing of electric motor
19/09/2021 12:24:00

Thank you Noel, I will try that.

Frank

19/09/2021 11:00:04

There are 4 wires other than the two capacitor wires.There is the earth wire a mauve and also a black wire in one spade connector and a brown wire in a spade connector.The mauve and black wires had brown tape wrapped around them and the brown wire had blue tape wrapped around it. I hope this is clearer.

Frank

19/09/2021 09:46:51

I have aquired a small motor for my toolpost grinder,but I don't know which is the live and which is the neutral.

The motor is a Remco

This is the information on the motor.Part two 35-2-77RX 240v 50Hz-0.67A 4MFD CAP-2850RPM-75Watts Thermal Protector ROT<------>

The wires are mauve and black in one spade and brown on its own with an earth wire.I have know idea which is the live and am hoping that someone can advise me please.

Frank

Thread: access to magazine archive
17/09/2021 22:21:22

Why am I no longer able to get access to magazines before No.180. I get a message showing that I need to upgrade to a new Flash player.What has happened.

Frank

Thread: Workholding Problem
12/09/2021 18:50:45

I would use a wooden dowell or a piece of brush shaft glued onto the item to be machined with gorilla glue, the foaming type and clamped in the vice overnight.You would have to drill a hole in the dowell to incorporate the spigate. Next day set up in the four jaw and machine.When finished I would saw the wood off close to the steel but in this case you would have to split it off and using an old wood chisel to shave of the adhesive.I learned this from an article by Brian Wood .

Frank

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest