By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Baker 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Baker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tool and Cutter Grinders.
27/10/2016 07:44:56

Greetings,

many years ago, I built a Stent, from partially machined castings, obtained from Blackgates. I should say that I mainly build locos.

I didn't use it that much because of the seeming endless supply of second hand endmills that came from factory closures, but I did start to use it,because I started to value the the quality of cut obtained from a super sharp end mill, and my "endless supplies" dried up when I moved.

I have now completed a 4 facit drill grinding jig, designed for the Stent, and I have to say it is now in almost daily use.

So, is it worthwhile to own one, the answer must be yes, if you are going to be a model engineer, rather than just using the machine tools to make odd items.

BB

Thread: Beginner Steam Loco
08/10/2016 19:28:27

Greetings, looking at the video, it would appear that the loco shown "Woto" has Walsharts valve gear rather than the Hackworth of sweet pea, or are my eyes needing testing again?

Brian B

Thread: Sulphuric Acid for anodising
13/06/2016 12:51:32

Most likely source is a small independent battery maker, who may be persuaded to sell you some.

They use it at 24% concentration I think.

regards

Brian

Thread: Harrison L5 new to me
12/06/2016 17:38:02

Hi, I have a well used L5A, and as John as said, it is a brilliant lathe.

Are you sure the chuck is screwed on

some of these were fitted with a different chuck mounting system, known as L00, which used a C spanner to remove it. A photo of the back of the chuch would soon confirm if it is screwed or L00.

You could try running the lathe in slowest backgear BACKWARDS, with a substantial piece of wood gripped in the chuck jaws, projecting sideways which would be stopped from rotating by hitting the lathe bed, suitably protected.

This worked for me on a friends machine.

Brian

Thread: Boiler Marking/serial number
08/06/2016 07:41:50

Greetings, Pressure vessels for ships, and steam launches are deemed to be ships, are exempt from PVR "CE" marking requirements.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Caulking a saddle tank.
28/04/2016 07:51:33

Greetings, you have two choices, either take it apart & resolder, or try any epoxy liquid.

This is expensive, obtainable from yacht chandlers, like the "West" system, and works best on clean brass.

Bostick also make a rapid set metal epoxy, but in small tubes.

Keep it warm when it is curing, clean it as best you can, be generous with the quantity, and it usually works for the life of the tank.

regards

Brian

Thread: Are dogs clever or stupid?
21/04/2016 08:04:21

Greetings to you all, I have had 4 dogs, all smart, the last two rescue "Westies" from the charity "Westie Rescue", and both loved riding 71/4 trains.

here is Rosie inspecting a new loco on our garden railway, however she hated electric locos, perhaps because of the noise, and tipped them off the track.

imgp0140.jpg

regards

Brian

Thread: coal sizes
31/01/2016 14:37:59

Greetings Gavin, although beans will fit through your firehole door, I suggest that you would get better results with grains, with a more even fire.

regards

Brian

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
20/12/2015 17:27:40

Neil, is you mystery photo a clock?

The scales are for 60 units on the Right Hand side & 12 on the Left Hand side.

Regards

Brian

Thread: How concentrated should I make a citric acid pickle ?
20/12/2015 08:22:08

Forgot to say that the residues are easy to dispose of.

Brian B

20/12/2015 08:21:19

Greetings Brian, citric acid is a very safe way of pickling you valuable boiler.

You definately do not need a strong solution, as already explained, it chemistry becomes counter productive when you have a strong solution. Try about 1 heaped table spoonful of acid crystals to a gallon of water, and see how well this works, you can always add a little more if needed.

Like all chemical process, the cleaning operation is much more effective when warm, and if you allow your boiler to cool so that it only just steams when you put it in the solution, this will warm it nicely.

Beware of thermal shock damage to silversoldered joints when quenching them, and allowing a short cooling period for the heated boiler to come down to somewhere below 200 degrees is a very good idea.

I dislike "vinegar" products, because some of them contain complex sugars & starches which can be difficult to remove easily, and can affect subsequent soldering operations. Citric acid salts are all easily water soluble.

It can be purchased in bulk from home brew suppliers, or from a well known auction site.

Good luck with your boiler making, not enough of this happening in the M E fraternity in my opinion.

Regards

Another Brian

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
05/07/2015 18:02:44

Thank you Neil. 8 long years.

I still have a problem with the ash pan & the bogie, which I will start sorting tomorrow.

the loco started as a Winson kit, was abandoned after 2 attempts, and I took it over, reboilering it on the way.

there are so many mods made that I have lost count, and lots of traps set by winson for the unwary (like me).

it took a lot of effort to make it look something as it should.

now to clean the workshop.

regards

BB

05/07/2015 17:39:16

Thank you Norman, there were times when I thought it would never be finished.

regards

BB

05/07/2015 16:51:27

At long last, after obtaining "Iron Duke's" steam Certificate, I took him out for one lap of the Parklands track in heavy rain, not that I noticed.

Brian B

istrunlres.jpg

25/04/2015 19:45:04

Went to Spalding ME show & had a super day.

BB

Thread: Winson Britannia Autocad files
22/01/2015 17:04:39

Greetings David,

You will find it a long struggle to complete this locomotive, but when properly finished, it runs & pulls well, There is a good finished one at Kingsbury, on the Echills wood Railway.

Mine is nearly finished after a 4 year struggle.

Regards

Brian B

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 22/01/2015 17:16:35

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
06/11/2014 08:21:24

Greetings, Its been my experience at the N & N that there is an excellent bus service right to the door, and with a "Twirly" pass, its free.

BB

Thread: DRO using a wire
30/08/2014 08:00:42

Greetings, I fitted mine to my new (then) Warco A1F milling machine in 1992, and the system, & the mill, are still going strong.

Regards

BB

Thread: have just bought a model train and no nothing about them
30/08/2014 07:57:48

Greetings Ben,

now that you have purchased your locomotive, I suggest that you look to see what model engineering clubs are near you, visit them, and join the one that suits you best.

That way you will have a knowledge pool of the subject available to you, and stacks of advice, you just have to pick the best. Your new clubs boiler inspector will also guide you through the boiler regulations, and finally, you will have a track to run your pride & joy on.

regards

BB

Thread: 1952 Model Engineer Exhibition
06/05/2014 18:12:45

Very interesting, think that I went that year.

note the Buck & Hickman stand at the start.

If my memory serves me correctly, HMS Magpie was commanded by the Duke, and the model was later placed on display on board HMS Britannia, wonder if it is still there in Leith?

After this visit, the "Duke of Edinburgh" trophy was awarded, but I think it was a few years later.

The visit was reported in ME, and the then editor J N Maskelyn is to be seen showing the Duke the railway & Traction Engine Models.

regards

BB

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest