By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Baker 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Baker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi from darkest Norfolk
09/12/2019 07:40:10

Same sentiments from NR13.

regards

Brian

Thread: Soldering a tender
07/12/2019 08:09:14

Greetings Phil, no, the epoxy is mostly used for repairs to wooden & GRP boats, and chandlers are the easiest places to find it. I have never tried Araldite for the job, but I am sure the normal stuff will work OK, except you will need a few tubes.

I have used it on several tanks, but you need to clean & rough up the surface first, I used medium emery paper, dead smooth makes it harder for the epoxy to stick. I think I have seen a grade of epoxy especially for metal, but the material I use comes straight from my boat repair stock.

If you fancy solder, then do it, and when it starts to leak, after a while, use the epoxy to seal it, that's how I started using it on an A3 tender.

regards

Brian

04/12/2019 17:00:22

Greetings Phil, would it not be worth using epoxy to make them water tight. I have done this several times & it works well. Just get the brass as clean as you can with say a small wire brush in a Dremel, and paint it on. the brass catalyses the reaction, and it needs to be kept warm. Avoid the rapid set epoxy, it's strength is lower than the long time set material

Boat chandlers sell a suitable product.

Regards

Brian Baker

Thread: LPG heater- fumes
28/11/2019 18:00:09

Greetings, on top of all that has been said above, LPG does contain sulphur, and other impurities, which when burnt, will produce toxic products, which will affect you.

regards

Brian

Thread: Changing chucks on Harrison L140
22/10/2019 08:23:59

Greetings David, I have the slightly earlier/later Harrison 11 inch, which is basically the same machine as you have, and more importantly, I may have a spare 4 jaw chuck, with LOO fitting.

I warn you they are heavy, and bigger than the 3 jaw.

I live in Norfolk, near Norwich, so is it worth the journey from where you live?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Pansy Inner Dome
01/09/2019 07:44:30

Loctite 572

Regards

Brian

Thread: Bandsaw blades
22/08/2019 16:50:16

Greetings Jack, re your question, I also have one of these saws, which has served me well over the years.

I use 6 tpi for wood, and bimetal 14 tpi 1/2 wide blades for metal.

i get my blades from Trucut in Ross on Wye, and their service is excellent.

Regards

(another) Brian

Thread: Guess the Chemical?
27/07/2019 17:19:24

Some alcholic beverage?

BB

Thread: 3 in 1 shear brake roller mod
09/07/2019 08:12:32

Two simple ideas that improve an already useful machine.

Well done

Brian

Thread: What do YOU call it?
23/05/2019 13:10:15

"Latheing" as it is known by the rest of the family.

Thread: Injector Testing
23/05/2019 07:45:37

Greetings, I built & used one of these test valves,and always got higher readings than you suggest.

Can it be that the pressure tapping (pathway) to the gauge is restricted, or in the wrong place?

Regards

Brian

Thread: AutoCAD substitute
29/04/2019 12:58:43

Plus 1 for QCad.

Regards

Brian

Thread: 4QD controller for field wound motors
29/04/2019 12:41:17

Hi Duncan,

I will give them a call.

I will try to try to get a look at the motors next Sunday, but they and the controller are buried inside the body with no obvious access.

many thanks

regards

Brian

29/04/2019 10:57:07

Greetings,

Hope someone can help with my problem.

I am involved in the modernisation of a 1980's of a large 71/4 electric loco. It has two high quality, barely used 24v DC motors each one about 1 KW, and each driving one bogie. It is controlled by a sealed box built into the body that cannot be opened without major dismantling, which we will have to do because the "Box" which used to click , now is getting hot & not working. It only gave two speed control forwards & reverse. The motors are unreachable, but have 4 wires to each, and I take this to be that they are field wound motors, 2 wires to field coils, and 2 to the rotor coils.

Another loco in the fleet has 2 wire motors and we easily converted this with a suitable 4QD controller, and it works well, and we would like to do the same to the poorly one. $QD have little information, but say "it can be done".

Any ideas how this might be done?

Could I rig an uncontrolled, supply to the field coils, and use the 4QD to feed the rotor coils, and do I need to limit the current in the field coils?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Small head metric hexagon bolts and nuts
24/04/2019 18:15:27

Greetings Mark,

I know Polly Models supplies them, I have used them & they are fine.

I have also heard of a possible supplier from Germany, but have no details.

Regards

Brian

Thread: AutoCAD substitute
05/03/2019 08:10:55

Plus one for QCad.

Worth buying the book as well.

regards

Brian

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
08/02/2019 12:34:32

Greetings Bazyle,

I think you are talking about the formula for caffeine.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Sealing water tanks
23/01/2019 08:19:43

Greetings,

I have used marine grade epoxy with great success, but the tank needs to be clean, I use a rotary wire brush.

I have used it on 71/4 gauge ride on tenders, with no problems.

Marine epoxy is a bit more runny than araldite, but needs 20 to 25 degrees to set properly.

It can be stiffened with various additives, if you need a paste, and from your local yacht chandlers you should be able to get the "West system", which is the most well known supplier.

It will seal over the solder, and during its working life remains a little flexible.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Cleaning with Parafin?
14/10/2018 17:24:18

Greetings Neil,

Turps substitute was the early name for white spirit, which came about because the supplies of turpentine, mainly produced from the Baltic area, stopped during WW2.

Regards

Brian

14/10/2018 07:39:54

Greetings,

The main problem with using Kerosene/paraffin is the sulphur content, which causes corrosion, white spirit has a much lower sulphur content. Water is extremely insoluble in it, and would in any case tend to make it cloudy, as well as being visible as droplets at the bottom of the container.

I use white spirit for cleaning with about 10% lubricating oil added (most grades seem to work OK).

Like Paul Kemp, I reuse the white spirit for soaking charcoal for loco lighting up, and get two for the price of one.

Regards

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest