By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Baker 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Baker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Four facet drill grinding.
27/04/2021 16:45:27

I have made Bernard Towers modified 4 facet drill grinding jig, from a pre published set of drawings and it works well. It is designed to fit onto the Stent, and makes the job straight forward and quick.

I think it should be published Bernard, and it is a useful addition to the Stent.

However, I have purchased a Quorn, which I like, and the Stent, including Bernard's jigs have been sold.

Publish it Bernard!

Regards

Brian B

Thread: End Mills and coatings
20/04/2021 17:26:13

Greetings Matt, have you not considered some method of resharpening the ones you have?

Although I have never tried it, I am told the Harold Hall tool holder modified, works well, and is straight forward to make.

Just a suggestion.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Hello everyone; Engineering equipment for sale
30/03/2021 16:55:26

Greetings Jonathon, and I am sorry for you & your family at this difficult time.

If you father was a member of, or known to a member of a local Model engineering Club, I suggest that this is you best first contact. Even if he was not a member, then contact with them can do no harm. Perhaps your Mother would know of any contact.

At any cost, I would strongly advise against using a dealer or workshop clearance company, they have a poor reputation for value for money.

Perhaps if you let us have a idea of your late Fathers workshop location, we could suggest a suitable club.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: Rob Roy Build/ Rally
29/03/2021 18:02:02

Greetings, would it not be possible to wrap your emery paper round the actual smokebox tube & save making the wooden former?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Stuart Victoria
29/03/2021 12:17:57

Very nice, well done.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: My easy solution to No More Clogged Spray Paint Rattle Cans
29/03/2021 09:02:40

Greetings, I find that the ball in the valve at the top of the can gets clogged.

Regards

BB

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
21/03/2021 12:22:41

I thought the Bingley Halls were in Leicester and the first Midlands Model Engineering was there for a few years, until it moved to the University of Birmingham?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Condenser Cooling water flow
24/02/2021 07:44:09

Greetings, condensers need to operate with the cooling side flooded. With coolant fed in at the top, it might run straight through, "without touching the sides" with limited cooling effect.

The tube bundles often had supports that acted as baffles, causing swirling of the coolant increasing cooling efficiency.

The two flows was always always contra to each other.

Regards

Brian

Thread: A Marine Condensing Engine
19/02/2021 16:26:14

Greetings Tug, very nice engine, good choice.

keep up the good work

Regards

Brian

Thread: air/boiler
18/02/2021 16:41:03

David, if it was OK as a chassis and is now not so good, dare I suggest that somewhere in the main steam circuit there is a restriction, impeding steam/air flow.

Assuming you are on top of the small leaks, first place I would suspect is the regulator not opening enough., or perhaps some jointing material, if you used it, blocking the steam pipes.

Perhaps you could check the regulator by opening up the wet header, and checking for a good air flow down the system, progressing onwards section by section to the steam chests.

Good luck.

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 18/02/2021 16:41:57

Thread: Steam regulator
06/02/2021 08:27:01

Greetings, I would be a little nervous about using the valve specified by Jason, because it lacks a gland on the operating spindle, and whilst rated for 150 psi, at the elevated temperatures found inside a boiler or smokebox, i have found the, I think, PTFE, seals soften and start to leak. ball valves are sold for higher pressure & temperature operation, and they do have a spindle gland. They cost abut 3 times the low pressure ones.

I fitted a cheaper one to a 71/4 Britannia, and it blew after a couple of steaming, replaced with the higher pressure version, it now has 6 years concentrated running, no problems.

The use of a ball valve in this application transforms the controllability of a large locomotive, with finger tip response. Some regulator designs can be all or nothing.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Benchtop lathe with power cross feed, looking to buy
23/01/2021 13:07:51

Well done. and good luck with you delivery, things seem a bit difficult world wide at the moment.

Warco are a smashing company, have bought stuff of them for years and always pleased.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Workshop time
26/12/2020 12:36:37

Greetings, I am lucky in that my workshop is connected into the bungalow central heating system, and access is via the conservatory, so I am always warm, nit walks to the bottom of the garden in the rain for me to visit my sanctuary.

That said, I tend to spend shorter periods at each session, finding that my concentration lapses after about an hour, so 1hr to coffee, another 1.5 to lunch, 1hr to afternoon tea, another to evening tea, and an hour after tea, and that works for me.

Since Covid, I have made good progress on my current project, looking forward to wrapping it up by Easter, so there is some good in this nasty virus.

regards

BB

Thread: Mery Christmas Everybody
25/12/2020 07:58:09

Greetings to you all, and wishing you a Great Christmas, and a Healthy, Prosperous New Year.

Regards,

Brian

Thread: 3 Cylinder Lubricator
16/12/2020 12:29:46

Hi John, drive is taken from an excentric on the RHS of the crankshaft, to an intermediate rocking lever on the front stretcher, which via another arm in the middle of the loco drives the lubricator arm, thus there is also plenty of adjustment available what with hole in three arms.

Drawing of the lubricator has been published on the is website.

Regards

Brian

16/12/2020 07:51:04

lubcrop.jpgimgp1647crop.jpgGreetings John, I never had much success using 2 pumps to feed my 3 cylinder A3, so replaced them with this which is 3 Ewins type pumps in 3 separate compartments in one tank using roller clutch motion feed. been fine for 6 years now and each cylinder enjoys oil.

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 16/12/2020 07:54:57

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 16/12/2020 07:58:09

Thread: 5 inch gauge wheel standards
05/12/2020 07:38:25

Greetings, I think you will find model engineering UK wheel standards listed on both the Southern federation of M E S or the Northern Association of M E S websites. Whilst the gauge is obviously important, to run cleanly through pointwork, the wheel back to back measurement must be correct.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Advice appreciated
27/11/2020 16:32:00

Hi Sharon, sorry about your sad loss, cancer is a dreadful ailment.

I live about 10 miles east of Norwich, and am a Norwich Club member, as well as several other groups, and am happy to help.

You can get in touch with me via the Norwich & District Society of Model Engineers, or via a private message on this site.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Bronze or gunmetal screws/bolts
08/11/2020 12:14:39

Greetings Nick, I have never found a source for these, so for all the boilers I built, I made them. You will not need many, and often a copper rivet can be threaded.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Lathe Tool Grinding
03/11/2020 07:53:01

Greetings, I used the end of a broken centre dill of the size required, ground at a suitable angle, in a home made holder to cut the radius formers you are looking to make. \Quick & easy, if you have any broken centre drills otherwise use round tool steel.

regards

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest