By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Baker 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Baker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Epoxy & Steel
03/07/2020 12:46:42

Greetings, most metals act as a catalyst for the curing reaction.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Ultrasonics and citric acid
30/06/2020 08:25:49

Greetings, just remember that hot Citric Acid solution in the eye is not nice.

regards

Brian

Thread: Boiler test
19/06/2020 07:45:03

Greetings, depending on where you are, you have the Chelmsford Club, the Romford Club, or Canvey Railway & Model Engineering Club , all of which can be contacted via their websites.

Regards

Brian

Thread: 7 1/4 BR Brake Van Drawings Wanted
19/06/2020 07:41:07

Greetings, I think Doug Hewson did detailed drawings for a 5 inch gauge brake van, which were published a while ago.

regards

Brian

Thread: vacuum (steam or compressed air)
05/06/2020 16:46:18

Greetings, yes just connect the air to the steam line of the ejector, and you will get a useable vacuum.

I have applied the air through the safety valve bush, with a suitable connector.

regards

Brian

Thread: Plastic and Paper Models
04/06/2020 17:02:04

Great effort, Dr GMJN, good to see paper modeling still going on.

When I was a little boy, on the way to my weekly visit to my Gran, I had to pass the micromodels shop in Theoabalds Road Holborn, which had a very high window, and marvelling at the tiny paper models there.

I still have a big collection.

Good luck with the 10V.

Regards

Brian

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
04/06/2020 16:55:54

Well done Anthony, you have made a nice job and given yourself a very useful tool that is much easier to use than the plunge type knurler.

i don't know anything about computer card formatting however.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Assembling laser cut cabs
04/06/2020 12:23:59

Greetings, some pre cut cabs can be MIG welded, and as I understand it the one from Model engineer laser are made to be TIG welded, with just enough metal protruding from the take to avoid the use of a filler rod.

If you are nervous of welding, they can be soft soldered, but might need a few angle brackets for strength.

This cab was MIG welded, starting life as a Winson kit.

Regards

BB

istrunlres.jpg

Thread: Which Digital Compact Camera?
22/05/2020 12:53:05

Hi Harry, thanks for your interest, the second picture is indeed Echills Wood, taken by the loco owner on my camera, which I thrust into his hand, must be easy to use, the first was grabbed as I pounded across the bridge at Weybourne Station on the North Norfolk Railway, I was sailing on the river Bure, Norfolk Broads at the end of November 2019, dropped a crew member off on the bank, and the last picture was taken at Parkands Railway, Hemsby Norfolk.

By now you might guess that I live in Norfolk!

Regards

Brian

Thread: The sneering detractors
21/05/2020 18:19:50

Greetings, I think Sam Spoons has it right, "if you cann't say any thing nice about someone, donn't say any thing at all".

Brian

University of Youtube

Thread: Which Digital Compact Camera?
21/05/2020 17:59:06

Greetings, for a long time, and thousands of pictures, including 3 Model Engineer covers, I used a Panasonic Lumix DMC Fs 16, which I purchased from the Tesco "Chuck out bin" for £50. It was quick & easy to use, and fitted easily into my shirt top pocket. I use it for all ME articles that I have written over the years.

24.jpg

p1020465.jpgFor sailing, I purchased the waterproof version I purchased a Lumix DMC-FT30, and that is just as good.

p1000209 (2).jpg

Finally for "posh" pictures, about 2 years ago, I purchased DMC FS18, which is good, fits in my top pocket, and takes super photos as they happen, "point & click".14.jpg

I know nothing about Photography, but enjoy taking photographs as they happen.

You pays your money, and takes your choice.

regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 21/05/2020 18:13:12

Thread: Beginner's engine build. Simplex 5"g.
16/05/2020 14:08:11

Greetings, I have seen and driven many Simplexs, and they have all been good performers, which left their owners with big grins.

Yes, there are a few errors and this is to be expected on any design.

I not sure if you know, but you can order many parts, laser cut, for this locomotive from Model Engineers Laser, and they will give reliably cut parts and show a considerable reduction in build time.

Good luck

regards

Brian Baker

Thread: Lathe 3-jaw chuck
04/05/2020 12:40:28

Greetings, buy a set of soft jaws to suit your chuck, and use those.

regards

BB

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 04/05/2020 12:41:16

Thread: Lathe Refurbishment
29/04/2020 08:33:19

Greetings, I have the identical Harrison model, and a very useful machine it is too.

Only modification I did was to convert it to single phase inverter drive, which gave me speed control, and I removed the reverser handle, using the supplied reverse switch instead.

I also have put a DRO on the cross slide, thinking about installing it on the other axis.

Do you have a handbook?

Regards

Brian

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
21/04/2020 13:03:17

In view of the pay freeze that they all had perhaps a bonus of £1000 each might be more appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Thread: ME in deepest Norfolk
19/03/2020 07:53:53

Greetings Shaun, nowhere is a place in NR29, so that's why I live in NR13.

Looking forward to a few good sessions in the workshop.

Regards

Brian

Thread: History of model engineers
13/03/2020 16:57:53

Greetings, there are two ( or were) separate ME exhibitions, one the London ME exhibition, started at Pickets Lock, moved to Wembley Exhibition centre, then to Ally Pally, where it still takes place in Jan every year. Organised by Meridien Exhibitions, the same organisation that started & still runs the Midlands ME Show.

The International ME Exhibition was first held at the Horticultural Halls, in Westminster, then moved to the Wembley Conference centre, before trying Olympia, Sandown Park Race Course, Ascot Race course, then Brooklands Museum, before all the trophies were passed on to the National ME show, which used to be at Harrogate, before it transfered to Doncaster race course.

I think that's correct, but there might be a few other odd venues.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Wood or Charcoal
06/03/2020 17:13:24

Greetings, problem with using wood that it produces tarry deposits, which can condense on the boiler tubes, and reduce heat transfer as well as reducing the diameter of the tube. Heat from the fire tends to bake them and they become very hard.

I think charcoal, soaked in white spirit a good lighting method.

regards

Brian

Thread: A4
12/02/2020 16:57:14

Greetings, I am part way through a much modified Modelworks kit in 71/4.

regards

Brian

Thread: Question about Harrison lathe
30/01/2020 17:32:45

Greetings Marcus, If you can find a copy of Model Engineer no 4408, 15th July 2011, vol 207, you will find a description of how a Harrison 1100 (earlier version of the 140) was converted to 240 volt 3 phase operation, using an inverter. This is in the second part of an article "How will you ever move that", the first part being in the previous issue.

It might be of use.

regards

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest