By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Baker 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Baker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dodgy eyes and extra workshop lighting
09/09/2021 13:38:44

Greetings, I recently had all the fluorescent fittings replace with LED tubes, which is a big improvement, with much reduced running costs.

Well worth doing.

Regards

BrianB

Thread: Read the small print
06/09/2021 12:40:49

Hi Brian, I also found the RAC unhelpful, and moved away to a LV insurance based scheme, which was very good.

Regards

Another Brian

Thread: Mill vise and rotary table
25/08/2021 12:57:29

Greetings, I to have a small dividing head mounted on the right hand end of the Myford VM-F mill, very useful.

Quick to remove, and a fixed tongue tenon makes it easy to replace.

Used exactly as Martin describes above, very useful.

Regards Brian

Thread: Bridget Drawings
21/07/2021 06:14:08

Careful br, I think that ebay ad is for the GA only, not the full set.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: Fusible plug in a 5" gauge copper boiler?
29/06/2021 17:11:35

With respect Peter, it is not about melting copper, but melting the silver soldered joints the boiler is made with, around 700C should do the trick if held for a little time.

That said, I prefer not to have a fusible plug fitted, preferring to blank off the bush, since I have in the past had several plugs fail for no good reason.

Also in larger locos with fitted ashpans, the boiler has to be removed to replace the plug, bit annoying if the plug fails for no good reason.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: New member from Brussels
26/06/2021 07:46:51

You are right, I have met many good Belgian Model Engineers, both at Antwerp and Brussels, where the 71/4 has been held before, and is due to be held again. (I have fond memories of the chocolate factory visit!). Also should not you chosen design use Walsharts valve Gear?

Regards

Brian B

Thread: 0-4-0 Gemma 7.25"
26/06/2021 07:38:06

Greetings Jeremie, yes you can scale up this fine 5 inch gauge locomotive design to 71/4 in, but it is a lot of extra work, and I am not sure what, if any, castings would be available.

If you want to start as a beginner in model engineering, why not build an existing 0-4-0 design in that gauge, there are several good ones, Hercules from Reeves, Jessie, a well loved Ken Swan design, and Don Young also produced a couple of offerings, finally Martin Evan's Singapore is also well spoken of.

Choosing one of these designs would mean drawings and castings available, and you could always alter the cab and tank shape if you wanted something different.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: New EBay payment regime
28/05/2021 07:39:49

Greetings Mark, thank you for your comments re cash payments.

Since most of the items I infrequently sell are heavy, or too large to post, people usually collect from me, so cash is fine, and for smaller items, they can make a Paypal payment to my account.

works OK for me.

ebay have been hacked before, I think.

regards

Brian B

27/05/2021 16:22:28

Greetings, I am not happy with the idea of Ebay having my bank account details, given that they have been hacked before, and will now be an even bigger target for hackers, one of whom will eventually through.

I have decided to sell the bits that I have on other websites.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: End of the road for me
14/05/2021 16:38:39

Sad to hear that Bill, good luck toyou in the future.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: Harrison L5A tool post mod
06/05/2021 12:42:16

Greetings Francis, I think you will have to match the taper yourself, I have never seen any tapered tool posts like the one you show.

On my Harrison 1100, I fitted the usual quick change tool post onto of the flat platform when the 4 way was removed, and which I have never used since.

As a bonus, I made a disc which when fitted on the toolpost spindle, took a spare Myford sized quick change tool post, so that I could use all my Myford sized tools in their holders as well.

You can never have enough QC toolholders!

Regards

Brian B

Thread: Four facet drill grinding.
27/04/2021 16:45:27

I have made Bernard Towers modified 4 facet drill grinding jig, from a pre published set of drawings and it works well. It is designed to fit onto the Stent, and makes the job straight forward and quick.

I think it should be published Bernard, and it is a useful addition to the Stent.

However, I have purchased a Quorn, which I like, and the Stent, including Bernard's jigs have been sold.

Publish it Bernard!

Regards

Brian B

Thread: End Mills and coatings
20/04/2021 17:26:13

Greetings Matt, have you not considered some method of resharpening the ones you have?

Although I have never tried it, I am told the Harold Hall tool holder modified, works well, and is straight forward to make.

Just a suggestion.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Hello everyone; Engineering equipment for sale
30/03/2021 16:55:26

Greetings Jonathon, and I am sorry for you & your family at this difficult time.

If you father was a member of, or known to a member of a local Model engineering Club, I suggest that this is you best first contact. Even if he was not a member, then contact with them can do no harm. Perhaps your Mother would know of any contact.

At any cost, I would strongly advise against using a dealer or workshop clearance company, they have a poor reputation for value for money.

Perhaps if you let us have a idea of your late Fathers workshop location, we could suggest a suitable club.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: Rob Roy Build/ Rally
29/03/2021 18:02:02

Greetings, would it not be possible to wrap your emery paper round the actual smokebox tube & save making the wooden former?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Stuart Victoria
29/03/2021 12:17:57

Very nice, well done.

Regards

Brian B

Thread: My easy solution to No More Clogged Spray Paint Rattle Cans
29/03/2021 09:02:40

Greetings, I find that the ball in the valve at the top of the can gets clogged.

Regards

BB

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
21/03/2021 12:22:41

I thought the Bingley Halls were in Leicester and the first Midlands Model Engineering was there for a few years, until it moved to the University of Birmingham?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Condenser Cooling water flow
24/02/2021 07:44:09

Greetings, condensers need to operate with the cooling side flooded. With coolant fed in at the top, it might run straight through, "without touching the sides" with limited cooling effect.

The tube bundles often had supports that acted as baffles, causing swirling of the coolant increasing cooling efficiency.

The two flows was always always contra to each other.

Regards

Brian

Thread: A Marine Condensing Engine
19/02/2021 16:26:14

Greetings Tug, very nice engine, good choice.

keep up the good work

Regards

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest