By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Baker 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Baker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workshop time
26/12/2020 12:36:37

Greetings, I am lucky in that my workshop is connected into the bungalow central heating system, and access is via the conservatory, so I am always warm, nit walks to the bottom of the garden in the rain for me to visit my sanctuary.

That said, I tend to spend shorter periods at each session, finding that my concentration lapses after about an hour, so 1hr to coffee, another 1.5 to lunch, 1hr to afternoon tea, another to evening tea, and an hour after tea, and that works for me.

Since Covid, I have made good progress on my current project, looking forward to wrapping it up by Easter, so there is some good in this nasty virus.

regards

BB

Thread: Mery Christmas Everybody
25/12/2020 07:58:09

Greetings to you all, and wishing you a Great Christmas, and a Healthy, Prosperous New Year.

Regards,

Brian

Thread: 3 Cylinder Lubricator
16/12/2020 12:29:46

Hi John, drive is taken from an excentric on the RHS of the crankshaft, to an intermediate rocking lever on the front stretcher, which via another arm in the middle of the loco drives the lubricator arm, thus there is also plenty of adjustment available what with hole in three arms.

Drawing of the lubricator has been published on the is website.

Regards

Brian

16/12/2020 07:51:04

lubcrop.jpgimgp1647crop.jpgGreetings John, I never had much success using 2 pumps to feed my 3 cylinder A3, so replaced them with this which is 3 Ewins type pumps in 3 separate compartments in one tank using roller clutch motion feed. been fine for 6 years now and each cylinder enjoys oil.

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 16/12/2020 07:54:57

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 16/12/2020 07:58:09

Thread: 5 inch gauge wheel standards
05/12/2020 07:38:25

Greetings, I think you will find model engineering UK wheel standards listed on both the Southern federation of M E S or the Northern Association of M E S websites. Whilst the gauge is obviously important, to run cleanly through pointwork, the wheel back to back measurement must be correct.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Advice appreciated
27/11/2020 16:32:00

Hi Sharon, sorry about your sad loss, cancer is a dreadful ailment.

I live about 10 miles east of Norwich, and am a Norwich Club member, as well as several other groups, and am happy to help.

You can get in touch with me via the Norwich & District Society of Model Engineers, or via a private message on this site.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Bronze or gunmetal screws/bolts
08/11/2020 12:14:39

Greetings Nick, I have never found a source for these, so for all the boilers I built, I made them. You will not need many, and often a copper rivet can be threaded.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Lathe Tool Grinding
03/11/2020 07:53:01

Greetings, I used the end of a broken centre dill of the size required, ground at a suitable angle, in a home made holder to cut the radius formers you are looking to make. \Quick & easy, if you have any broken centre drills otherwise use round tool steel.

regards

Brian

Thread: "Invicta"- Photos wanted
20/10/2020 08:15:18

One like this?cl1.jpg

In Steamcl3.jpg

Regards

Brian

Thread: Dressing a diamond wheel
15/10/2020 16:41:49

Right, thank you for the information, I will stick it on and see what happens.

Regards

BB

15/10/2020 13:08:07

I have been given a diamond wheel, which I wish to mount on my quorn Cutter grinder. Having never used a wheel of this type before, how do I true the wheel and dress it?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Grumpy old men
12/10/2020 16:33:55

"Voted in" instead of "elected"

11/10/2020 16:19:00

"Boat" instead of "Ship"

Thread: Horizontal hit and miss engine
27/09/2020 07:54:53

Very good Andy, could that be written up, with drawings, for publication in Model Engineer?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Steam Raising Blower
24/09/2020 07:28:35

Thank you for that Peter, "well written" from someone who had to retake English 0 level.

23/09/2020 17:31:15

Greetings Peter, my article was published in ME in three parts, 11th Nov 2016, issue 4547, pg 706, 9th Dec 2016, issue 4549 Pg 852, and the last part 6th Jan 2017, issue 4551 pg 102. It was designed as a beginners project, and many of the parts were laser cut. As it stands, it will be fine for larger 5 in gauge or 71/4 gauge locos, and many parts can be laser cut. I never did get around to a smaller gauge version. I may have a set of parts somewhere for the published version.

I think it's worth reading the article, but I would say that wouldn't I!

Regards

Brian

22/09/2020 12:38:51

Greeting Peter, a while ago, ME published a design and writeup for a variable speed blower, which I wrote. It used flat straight blades, which worked well, I used it this Sunday on my A3, and it has had plenty of use, and is one of several at my club. The blades were bolted on, using nyloc nuts, no problems so far. The clearance between the bottom edge of the fan, and the casing makes a big difference to performance. Whilst curved blades are more efficient, the whole blower was designed as a beginners project, to perhaps encourage someone who has purchased a locomotive, to start to make things themselves.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Reminiscences
20/09/2020 08:08:26

Greetings, like you all I have so many memories of my childhood, not all good. I remember traveling on a tram from Camberwell where we lived, over Westminster Bridge, turn right onto the embankment, then into the tram tunnel under Aldwych and Kingsway, coming up into Southampton Row, turn right into theobalds road, getting off next to the Micromodels shop, then on to Grandmas, with perhaps a visit to look in Bassett Lowke's window on the way home. Walking to school, Oliver Goldsmiths Junior mixed, past the Samuel Jones Factory, the horse trough and the cornchandlers, sailing model boats, all home made on Peckham Rye pond, wacked for playing close the the Surrey Canal, the SunPat factory in Parkhurst street, visits to Bricklayers Arms shed, I could go on for ever.

Not sure I want to see those times again, but still vivid memories.

Brian

Thread: Quorn using E32 collets
30/07/2020 13:03:26

Many thanks for the informative answers to my question, which I had already tried to find an answer from the various indexes that I have, but I wondered if ME or MEW had covered it.

The current castings suppliers make mention of it, and produce within a full drawing pack, a drawing of, I think, a suitable holder.

Thank you again.

regards

Brian

30/07/2020 07:39:42

Greetings, can anyone advise me if ME or MEW have ever published information on using ER32 collets in a Quorn cutter grinder?

Regards

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest