By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Barry Q

Here is a list of all the postings Barry Q has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Impressive Engineering
12/03/2012 19:28:13

Richard,

It would help when posting this sort of thing for a resume of just what you are suggesting we watch. It could well have been a Spam message. If I was an over worked moderator it may well have been deleted without further investigation such is the problem of spams these days.

Having said that I did watch it and have to admit it was very interesting.

regards

Barry

Edited By Barry Q on 12/03/2012 19:28:36

Thread: Boxhill Terrier Build Notes
28/02/2012 20:37:02

Bob T.

You may be intertested in a thread called <Any "Beginners" building 5" gauge Boxhill?>

This was started back in Oct and has had many replies - the last one a week ago. It may be worth a search. I tried to be clever and give you a direct link but couldn't find out how to do it!

Barry Q

Thread: Boxford rebuild
07/01/2012 18:07:12
Hi,

Terryd is spot on. Your first contact ought to be Boxford. I've found them very helpful. Just give them the lathe type and importantly its serial number as they did change their colour scheme over the years. Their contact details can be found at: http://www.boxford.co.uk/boxford/docs/about/about.htm

I hope that works for you - don't do this very often. I did find out my colour number from Boxford but since lost it as l didn't think a colour refurbish would make it turn any better so have left it looking a bit rough! In other words I was keen to just get turning. When I bought it the headstock sounded like a bag of old nails so more important then cosmetic work was a total strip down and clean.

Adrian, somewhere I have the details on the headstock bearings so if you need to go down that road I could dig out the info. Just let me know if you need it, it'll take a bit of digging out - I'm not the world's best at filing information. prefer the other type of filing! The work on the headstock was worth every expletive and bruised fingers. The lathe runs very quietly now - a job well worth doing.

BarryQ

Thread: Lathe and mill or combination
01/10/2011 15:20:09
Jon,

I think the answer from the other posts is not to do it. I bought a couple of years ago a 2nd hand 5" Boxford (I think the make is immaterial) and soon fitted it with a vertical attachment to do the milling.

The combination machines that you have been looking at are (I expect) better than my set up but guess what? So far I've done mostly milling on a machine that is very limited and I'm now seriously looking out for a suitable milling machine.

I suspect you will find the same problem as described by the other contributors above. If you are serious about this hobby and wish to carry on for some considerable time I think biting the bullet financially is the cheapest in the long term.

Barry
Thread: Ryder Erricson in 4409
31/07/2011 08:00:18
David,

Sorry not to have answered before but been very busy doing work around the house.
Maybe Monday or Tuesday during office hours a less frivolous reply would be appreciated as to why I always seem to receive my ME and MEW as they appear in the shops and not before.

regards Barry

Edited By Barry Q on 31/07/2011 08:01:53

30/07/2011 19:26:52
David Clark,

I note that elsewhere it is stated that the latest issue of Model Engineer is now in the shops, that being issue 4409 (July 29 - 11 August).

I also note that JasonB made comments on issue 4409 on July 27rd - 3 days ago. Whilst others are moaning about not yet seeing the on-line version how about us who subscribe for a paper copy in the understanding that we will receive our copy before it hits the newsagents - here am I with nothing to read for the weekend as nothing has dropped through my letter box!

I'm not going to blame the Royal Mail as now I think about it I never get any copy until a Saturday yet from this and other forum entries it appears other get their copy mid week.
Is this correct?

regards whilst waiting for my ME

Barry

Edited By Barry Q on 30/07/2011 19:27:25

Thread: Sandown Model Engineer Exhibition 2009
17/12/2009 11:37:59
 New to this Model Engineering lark so have not visited this type of exhibition before. Was very impressed with the show and all the exhibitors. Will put into next year's diary. However I don't know where other exhibitions have been held in the past other than hearing both Sandown and Ascot being mentioned as used in the past. As I am a great believer in public transport I do wish to ask the question - why the SE?  Demographically is the SE the hub of the model engineers or do you have exhibitions in the north at other times of the year? I'm not complaining as I don't live in the north (or London) but I did find that Esher is not best served by public transport unless you live on the Waterloo – Salisbury line and even then it is only served by stopping services. Ally Pally next month will be a doddle in comparison. Was just wondering whether other places more towards the midlands well served by cross country services had ever been considered?

This is not a complaint just some thoughts as I’m not aware of how many exhibitions take place and their spread across the country. However I’m bracing myself for the replies!

Best wishes and glad so many enjoyed the exhibition as much as I did.

BarryQ
Thread: Change in the magazine edition descriptor ?
16/12/2009 10:52:58
A solution for all the pedantic people out there and to recognise that our Australian cousins revolve around the universe upside down, why not have the 1st 12 issues marked as their respective month and last one (13th) being the Christmas edition. That is the month when 2 editions will be issued in a lunar cycle.

Happy Xmas to all and a constructive New Year in all your workshops.

BarryQ 

PS just noticed after posting this that David beat me to a reply by a matter of a few minutes.

Edited By Barry Q on 16/12/2009 10:57:06

Thread: Information sought
27/10/2009 13:00:47
John,  as suggested before, try Pete at GLR.  He sells his kits with construction details. In my case (the Tina mill engine) they were photocopies of the relevent ME articles by Stan Bray.  If that is the case for the wall engine I cannot see why he would not tell you the ME mags that he may have used.

Best of luck.  BarryQ  

26/10/2009 17:10:01
Hi John,

this is only a guess but  GLR Distributors Ltd do a wall engine that may be the one that you are refering to.  My guess is because I have just bought from GLR his Tina mill engine and the instruction come with drawings that have recently been updated by a guy with either the same name or similar.  The reason for being a bit vague is that I am at present away from home and can't get to the information.
However Pete of GKL may be able to help here because if it is the same model then his instructions for Rachel may be copies of the original ME articles - they are for TINA.

I've noted on GLR Distributor's web site the following:-  "RACHEL" WALL ENGINE-Unusual wall mounted steam engine, based on drawings by Otto Lilienthal of Germany in 1882. Cylinder 2 mm bore x 40 mm stroke, Flywheel 170 mm dia. Drawn in metric, building instructions included.  Try

Hope this is of some help.
regards
BarryQ
Thread: Lathe Advice Needed
23/09/2009 16:34:30
I've recently bought a Boxford with a 5" swing - many are normally 4.5". Bought it on ebay. I saw it before bidding so knew what I was going to get - something that sounded like a bag of nails. However have since successfully rebuilt the head with new bearings, given it a GOOD clean and hey presto I have a good lathe that has amounted to about £650. The reason for telling you all this is that, subject to what you want to do, a reasonable 2nd hand lathe is good fun getting it right before you even start making your models. Of course you have to make sure that the worn parts are replacable.
My advice for what's it worth is to have a good look on the web (including ebay) and have a good look at many machines before parting with your money. A source of information about a whole range of lathes from Myfords upwards in size is:   http://www.lathes.co.uk/ 
This web site is a wealth of knowledge.
Best of luck in your search.

Barry Q
Thread: Lathe open gearing lubrication
30/08/2009 10:35:30
Thanks for that reply Dias. The grease sounds better than normal automobile wheel bearing type grease. Now I'll have to go and look for some. Sorry about the slow reply - not in touch with my computer for a day.
best wishes
Barry Q.
27/08/2009 11:56:48
Hi all.

I have almost finished re-building a Boxford lathe. According to their handbook oils suitable for bearing surfaces is listed along with greases for the head stock tapered bearings. Question is (as I'm new to this game) what type of lubrication do people use on open gear trains on lathes such as a Boxford or Myford etc. >>

Last time I used a lathe (over 45 years ago) we were only told how to operate and turn things - maintenance of the lathes where left to the plant team so can't even rely on my memory! My immediate thought would be use a thick oil sparingly such as an EP80 or similar that would not get thrown around - or even a light grease.>>

I'm open to suggestions from all those helpful MEs out there with far more knowledge than me - I've only just put my foot on the bottom of a very steep learning curve!>>

Also thanks to all those responsible for a very enjoyable day at the Bristol SMEE exhibition at Thornbury last weekend. You did yourselves proud.>>

Regards

Barry Q.>>
Thread: Hss or Carbide Tooling?
18/08/2009 15:34:53
Circlip,
I've not a scrap of Yorkshire blood in me but I'm going to look at H Hall's books. Thanks for directing me to Peter Gain's reply. Also thank you Peter for the initial info that I didn't notice first time round. This is what forums are about - helping each other and assisting beginners like me to learn fast.
Best regards
Barry Q.
Thread: Didcot
05/08/2009 12:16:02
Thanks John,

Will wait  a bit to see what  the new GWR 0-4-2T looks like. See David's originally reply above.
I was aware of Martin Even's 7.5" version. Bit big for me, especially the expected budget for such a large loco!

regards
Barry
05/08/2009 12:14:58
Thanks John,

Will wait  a bit to see what  the new GWR 0-4-2T looks like. See David's originally reply above.
I was aware of Martin Even's 7.5" version. Bit big for me, especially the expected budget for such a large loco!

regards
Barry
26/07/2009 18:37:58
Thanks David. The idea of another small tank may appeal to many, especially new starters (and that includes me). I look forward to seeing it in ME.
With regard to the existing Neville Evans design based on the 14xx GWR tank is there anyone out there who is aware of whether there was any write up either in a mag or even as a book/booklet?

Regards

Barry 

24/07/2009 11:57:50
Whilst looking at what drawing are available I came across a designed for 5" gauge version of the GWR 0-4-2T by Neville Evans. Reeves advertise this design but there doesn't seem to be any info on whether building articles ever existed in magazines. Does anyone have any ideas? Was wondering whether it was a more worthy design in place of the GWR Metro as it is of a later vintage. I do appreciate that is a very personal view of point and I don't want to start a discussion on the finer aesthetics of a design just the practicalities to build.
Thread: Building a GWR Bulldog locomotive
06/07/2009 12:56:29
Hi David,

Thanks for that. Looks like its to the drawing board to modify what has already been published. Also thanks for the tip that the curved frame version may have been included in the original write up.
Regards
Barry
05/07/2009 09:26:37
Hi David.
Thanks for such a quick reply. I'm not an outright GWR fan but living in the Westcountry  an admirer of both the GWR and their rival the SR. According to the info that I have the Dukedogs were a rebuild comprising old Duke boilers mounted on Bulldog frames. As the early Bulldogs had curved top frames and the later ones straight top frames it looks like the rebuilds (Dukedogs) utilised straight top frames from the later Bulldogs. I was hoping there is someone out there who has access to the drawings who may be able to give a definive answer. The alternative is to go ahead and hope that I can adapt the design to the earlier style.
Best regards, Barry
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest