By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Barry Q

Here is a list of all the postings Barry Q has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Delay in dispatch and delivery
21/04/2020 11:27:00

Ketan. Thanks for apologising but in the circumstances no apologies are needed from you and shouldn't be expected. These are trying times for everyone and hopefully many aren't losing their sense of humour.

I feel like ordering something that I don't need yet just to give you some business. You deserve it.

Best wishes and well done.

Thread: Januarys MEW?
05/01/2018 11:55:20

David.

Thanks very much and yes I still think I do need to go to Spec Savers!! Thinking I had missed it, which I had, I resorted to the index in the Dec issue and not seeing it there did wonder whether part 2 was a misprint and I was looking for something that did not exist.

As ever many on the Forum are a fount of knowledge. Once again thank you.

Barry

05/01/2018 11:19:07

Not sure this is right place for this question but in January's issue of MEW the cover states "Milling for Beginners - part 2". Nothing wrong with that other than were was Part 1? Looked through the index in Dec issue. No mention of part 1. Do I need to go to Spec Savers?

Barry

Thread: Class 2 Standard 2-6-0 by Don Young
01/01/2018 09:59:53

Hello Miles and a happy New year to you in your workshop.

Alas though I am not building a N2 so wondering whether you meant this comment for someone else.

Barry

Thread: My Best Astro shot of 2015
03/01/2016 22:54:21

I'm very surprised and delighted at your results bearing in mind there is still a certain amount of moon light. Can I assume that you are lucky enough to live in an area with very little light pollution. Bearing in mind one of our biggest problems these days is light pollution.

Cheers

Barry

Thread: The Iron Duke speaks on our behalf, Long live the Duke !
03/01/2016 13:37:30

No I don't think it is you Speedy so don't get too upset, even journalists these days don't seem to care what they write and certainly never seem to double check their facts before putting pen to paper.

I expect the Grammar brigade to make comment to this posting as well. Trouble is not everyone had the opportunity to a good education thanks to the 11+.

Back to the thread - well said by the Duke. Pity the media doesn't follow his sensible comments. All they want to do is criticise his sense of humour.

BQ

Thread: Hacksaw blades
19/12/2015 22:59:35

Although have used Eclipse blue blades in the past they seem to wear out quickly these days so now use Bahco Sandflex with no problems to date. Get mine from Axminster Tools but sure other outlets exist.

Barry

Thread: What port
02/12/2015 10:11:13

and without appearing to be too critical the sliding faces of both the slide valve and the valve chest need to be flat and smooth to get the seal you need. In the 1st and 2nd picture it looks as if the valve chest seat need some attention - it doesn't look very smooth in the photograph.

Also ensure when the slide valve is in the correct position as suggested by Martin, that the steel slide valve rod isn't stopping the slide valve from making contact with the valve chest surface. This could happen if the steel rod and the gland it runs through are not aligned correctly. 

Barry

Edited By Barry Q on 02/12/2015 10:12:38

02/12/2015 08:46:52

Mike,

One way around your problem would be to have some practical help from a forum member who may happen to live nearby and is willing to help. I looked at your details to find you don't have a public profile so anyone clicking on your name has no idea where you live. Just an idea of your geographic position may help.

There are many reasons why members don't give private details. Maybe you could give more details to (say) Neil who could then put interested members in touch with you.

Regards

Barry

who lives near Plymouth if this is a help.

Thread: Class 2 Standard 2-6-0 by Don Young
25/11/2015 12:56:29

Hi Julian,

Have sent you a PM as requested, have you seen it or should I send it again. Please advise.

Barry

25/11/2015 00:20:21

Dave,

Thanks for the offer of your Reeves copies of the LLAS mags covering this model. I won't take you up on your kind offer as I now have been offered similar material from another kind modeller.

Bob,

Thanks for the info on the new 84xxx project. Actually my intention is to finish her as a LMS Ivatt so will be visiting a couple of heritage lines in the south for that very reason although I may give the Isle of Wight a miss, my swimming ability is somewhat limited!

kind regards

Barry

24/11/2015 19:40:19

Thanks for all the info regarding the availability of back copies of these mags. Much appreciated.

Barry

24/11/2015 14:21:23

Hello John. Fantastic, just the info I've been searching for. Will do another internet search but you're possibly right, very few available on the net although I now know which copies to search for. Also thanks for your kind offer and I may need to get back to you. Thanks once again - the power of these forums!

Barry

24/11/2015 14:15:11

Hi Les,

Thanks for searching that link, I appreciate your input. I'd been there before and it wasn't possible to identify the actual issues that I may need.

Barry

Edited By Barry Q on 24/11/2015 14:15:38

Edited By Barry Q on 24/11/2015 14:20:34

24/11/2015 10:37:58

Hi, I'm about to embark on Don Young's BR std class 2 as the 2-6-2T variant. Have bought the drawings and know about the series being published by Don Young in a mag called Locomotives large and small - I think. I understand that it was covered in about 8 separate issues but wondered whether anyone out there knows which ones. I've searched for an index to these mags but have not found anything helpful.

Can anyone help in this area? I'm aware that Reeves sell photocopies BUT no idea of the quality so a bit reluctant to spend out in excess of £16 for photo copies when buying second hand mags will give me other interesting thing to read as well!!

Have already found a few anomalies in the drawings but can probably work round those. Any general feed back from others who have embarked on this design welcome - this is the first for me.

Thread: Drawings
09/05/2012 20:55:11

David,

Sorry for my "silly" question. It obviously hit a raw nerve. That was not my intention but if you think it was "silly" then so be it.

By saying that:-
"In most cases the prototype model would have been built from the plan and any corrections found would have been added. Then they are not updated again"
you have implied that they are fit for purpose. So what's your problem?

It is good news that "any corrections found would have been added". Unfortunately in my very limited experience I suspect that is not the case. I will not say any more - that may be silly. cheeky

Barry

09/05/2012 17:06:19

David,

what does this "thread" (if that is the correct terminology) refer to? It doesn't appear as an answer to another topic/question.

And whilst we are talking about Drawings. You are advertising MyHobbyStore as a supplier, and you being the editor I have no problem with that. However can you guarantee that these are fit for purpose.

That being drawings that have been updated with all known mistakes corrected and the drawings having the issue letter/number updated accordingly as per correct drawing office practise. We are after all purchasing a product that involves a profit for someone (I have no problem with that either) so it should be as correct as possible.

Barry.

Thread: Just read this "beginners guide" and laughed a lot!
14/04/2012 10:56:21

Hi Clive,

Yes I've had a long wait. In my earlier post on this subject I wrote:- "......had to obtain a bevelled edged chalk line". What I didn't say was the fitter also said "and whilst you're there ask for a long weight" (this is not a spelling error).

This ended up as a 'long wait' at the stores window whilst the store man was actually having a cup of tea with the fitter who first sent me to get these items, no doubt laughing at my expense!

Those were the days!

Barry

Edited By Barry Q on 14/04/2012 10:57:04

Thread: Bulldog/Dukedog
26/03/2012 21:00:19

Hi,

Keith Wilson's articles started in the ME issue 3579, Vol 144. This was in Feb 1978 and ran through to issue 3683 Vol 148 - June 1982.

I'm also aware of alleged errors but don't have a definite list. 2 that I am aware of is the valve travel is not sufficient but have not got that far yet. When I do I'll draw out the valve gear to scale and amend where necessary to get the correct valve travel.

On the bogie, once constructed, there is no clearance for the wheel flanges. Two ways around this - either file away at the frame's corner castings or turn the wheels down below their stated size. I intend to do the latter, after all if you follow the drawing you are putting in "NEW" wheel sets. In practice after many years in service these locos would have had their wheels turned down several times so there is nothing wrong in putting undersize wheels on.

Also with regards to errors it seems an acceptable practice to issue drawings with no updates. I'm appalled by this attitude and believe MyHobbyStore and others of selling drawings not fit for purpose according to the Sale of Goods Act. This doesn't seem to worry them!!

Best of luck with this loco. I hope it is not your first one - it is not for beginners!

By the way if you are keen to follow prototypical practice Keith Wilson has drawn a 4000 gallon tender which according to the GWR enthusiasts is not correct as most Bulldogs pulled along 3000 gall ones and some had 3500 gall tenders. I therefore am building a smaller tender using Peter Rich's design sold by Polly Engineering. I'm not sure what a Dukedog dragged along but there is a lot of photos on the internet to look at.

Regards

Barry

Edited By Barry Q on 26/03/2012 21:01:01

Edited By Barry Q on 26/03/2012 21:01:57

Thread: Just read this "beginners guide" and laughed a lot!
13/03/2012 21:53:26

a lot of reminiscence going on here. Did anyone have to obtain a bevelled edged chalk line? I had a 'long weight' (at the stores window) whilst the store man was looking for it not realising he was actually having a cup of tea with the fitter who first sent me to get it!! Apprenticeships I suspect are different these days.

B

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate