By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KWIL

Here is a list of all the postings KWIL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Solution found to the World's biggest problem . . .
12/11/2018 14:57:54
Posted by Danny M2Z on 12/11/2018 09:46:50:

The world's biggest problem is overpopulation.

Between Trump, Putin and China they might alleviate this problem but the result may not please the survivors!

* Danny M *

Since the problem of lowering birth rate seems to be in the so called developed world, perhaps we will see a population "drift" from other less fortunate areas?

Oops, its started already!

Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
08/11/2018 16:26:33

You can always import it from overseas (USA?)

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
01/11/2018 12:16:03

Why is it with "modern" TV programme makers that they must have mood music that masks the real music of a Merlin engine (or 4)??

Thread: Brazing Mild Steel
31/10/2018 10:16:39

IanT.

Micheal's .0015" looks like 1and half thou to me. He just left off the 0 before the decimal.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Serial Number Missing
29/10/2018 14:37:55

A further point, measure the widths and thickness of the shears, that will give an indication of regrind.

29/10/2018 14:33:40

There is always the possibility that the bed was a Replacement (spare part) and so would not have a machine number allocated!

Thread: wood turning
24/10/2018 15:52:51

https://www.peradon.co.uk/cue-manufacture.aspx

Try this.

Thread: new vfd
23/10/2018 19:08:04

Seller is in China, much easier to deal with a UK based seller should any problem arise.

Thread: A New Golden Age of Model Engineering Exhibitions
23/10/2018 10:53:15

I think that the real point is being missed by Paul Kemp, with the exception of the Midland Show, the Exhibition promoter hires the venue, this is an up front cost that has to be recovered from the exhibitors,visitor ticket sales are an unknown at this stage as is the level of trader support.

Years of previous events gives guidance as to estimated costs and likely out come, however the tend does seem to be downwards. The dominant cause of the move from Harrogate to Doncaster was I believe, due to the hike in charges by the Yorkshire Showground venue following their upgrading of the site.

Perhaps we have too many events trying to cater for the market? I used to visit most of the annual events, but now rather less!

Thread: Hello and Bridgeport Mill advice needed
14/10/2018 18:44:04

Yes the Bpt Manual parts breakdown does show one Knee Lock adjacent to the crank handle, however my Bpt Knee is fitted with two locks acting directly through the gib area casting from the side on the vertical face.

14/10/2018 16:10:28

You have not answered Muzzer's question about knee gib locks (two), located on vertical face of knee (gib side, ie left hand)

Thread: Twin Tube HF fluorescent lighting for the workshop
12/10/2018 12:52:25

Interesting 2 jaw chuck does not fool me into thinking it is not rotating.wink

Thread: ME Shows in UK for private exhibitors
12/10/2018 10:25:41

Perhaps one of the ME clubs would invite you to be a tempory " Member" for the purposes of the exhibition?

Thread: Twin Tube HF fluorescent lighting for the workshop
12/10/2018 10:15:17

As an experiment I have in the past, wound up the spindle speed as set by the VFD from 0 to max and have not found this alleged strobe effect.

Thread: Multiple vee-belt lathe drive
11/10/2018 16:12:19

The Willson Slant Bed Gear Head lathe is noisy at the best of time, so a little belt noise should not intrude.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
11/10/2018 16:04:04
Posted by Alan Waddington 2 on 08/10/2018 23:49:27:
Posted by Bazyle on 08/10/2018 22:53:05:

Gosh, no posts for almost a week.
This ebay ad is interesting for the background. The passing of British manufacturing.

Haha, love the time and effort expended by the seller on the description cheeky.........What a beast, hope someone saves it !

The Willson lathe shown apears to be very similar to 7.5" centre x 5 ft V bed gap precision high speed lathe (477 rpm spindle speed), code word "Newel" selling for £232 in 1942. . Willson Lathes was of course founded in the late 1890s by George Willson, Edwin Barker and Fred Smith In Halifax and was later subsumed into the Elliot machine tools business in the 1960s. George Willson's wife Laura was a leading activist in respect of Women and later was awarded an MBE.

Thread: It's Only Taken Me 46 years!
05/10/2018 12:13:53

Welcome Guy, where is the Smithy?

Just give us a general location in your profile .

Thread: A tale of two suppliers
04/10/2018 16:45:49

Been a customer of Tracy Tools for over 50+ years, 'nuff said.

Thread: Traction Engine (Electric)
30/09/2018 11:28:50

Clean at the point of usedevil

Thread: Myford ml7 not facing off square
29/09/2018 15:40:27

The adjustment of the front carriage gib screws is critcal (more so on the narrow guide versions). It is all too easy to over tighten the right hand one, thus pulling the carriage out of square, which adds to the wear rate as well.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest