By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KWIL

Here is a list of all the postings KWIL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quality of Engineer's squares
03/03/2019 14:37:05

Cutwel sell hardened stainless steel squares up to 300mm x 200mm (usual disclaimer)

Thread: Welding helmet
24/02/2019 15:46:21

Yes you definately need a hat, to protect your head and keep the light out.

Thread: My wife thinks I'm loosing it
23/02/2019 20:30:47

Martin, is this based solely on fuel costs (since you mentionmpg) or is it all in with the true mileage costs considered?

Edited By KWIL on 23/02/2019 20:31:14

Thread: Myford Quick Change Gearbox Disassembly
23/02/2019 12:10:06

A good clean and general flatting of the existing paint, followed by a primer followed by selective filling, followed by repaint if you must. This will give a good overall finish, removing the chips which started you out in the repaint trip.

Thread: Tube Seam
19/02/2019 14:30:37

You could also have it TIG welded to avoid the strap, inside or out.

Thread: Single to 3 phase invertor and smart meters
09/02/2019 19:15:43

John,

I thought that once you have gone"smart" there is no going back?

For me, not having a smart meter if I can help it.

Thread: super 7 headstock bearings
05/02/2019 22:12:14

Andy,
It is a pity your profile does not give a clue as to your location. If we knew, one of the forum members might have been able to assist locally.

K

05/02/2019 16:30:39

Preloading the angular contact bearings as per instructions, the preloading is determined by how tight you move the left hand end of mandrel adjuster. Clearance on the front taper bearing is determined by moving the pair of clamping rings form the point where rotation is just not possible to the specified position which gives the required running clearance. So it is prelaoding first, followed by the front bearing clearance, all by following the Myford written text.

Thread: In search of Peter Rawlinson
31/01/2019 14:04:15

If of interest, I have just added one of Peter's devices to my photo album. Last one of album, a Co-Axial centring device which I exhibited at MEX 2010.

Thread: Myford 33t and 34t gears for metric threads
29/01/2019 11:16:05

I note all of the above chatter, if you have a need for a BA threaded item and have a rack full of suitable items, fine.

If not, cut out the fuss and just make what you need, screwcut if necessary, its not difficult.

Thread: 0-1 M&W micrometer
27/01/2019 13:50:38

Make one?

Thread: The UK Space Program (Its not NASA, its NONO)
22/01/2019 16:39:23

Just the same as the US climbed in with M-D F4 Phantom and the 111 swing wing when the then UK "government" cancelled TSR2.

Thread: VAT on eBooks
17/01/2019 19:35:04

If the tax yield from VAT is reduced, something else will be raised to make up the difference, They will get you either way!

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
11/01/2019 15:12:10

What am I doing correctly?, I rarely get scam emails or phone calls as described in this thread!!

Thread: Conversion bracket
10/01/2019 16:57:56

Sorry,

I should have added that the remaining 2 holes are for fixed studs to assist fitting the bracket.

Bracket fitted, thumb screws (on bracket) are tightened which hold bracket in place whilst placing the 4 holding screws on the rear face of the bed. Necessary if you are working from the lathe front at a later date to fit/replace the bracket. In the first instance you will already be working from the rear in order to drill and tap the holes.

10/01/2019 16:50:50

See **LINK**for an excellent set of photos.

OP appears to already have the lathe on raising blocks since he says "Lathe is on a Myford cabinet raised on bed raisers.". These are necessary to ensure bottom of mill column clears the tray.

The existing holes on the rear of the bed are for the taper turning attachment, having determined where along the bed the column needs to be so as to end up wih the mill column midway between chuck and tailstock, make a drilling jig plate whch incorporates the horizontal pitch of the existing holes and align the four holes of the mill bracket as required using thread taping size drill.

Bolt dril plate to bed and pilot the four holes, tap as required.

Just a suggestion.

Thread: A question about lock (jam) nuts
13/12/2018 12:20:29

LN of course claim Heirloom Quality is their status, when you only had a horse and cart, those double nuts would look OKdevil

Thread: headstock oil
11/12/2018 12:45:14

Duncan,

I am interested to know "where" Myford state Febis K68 is for the lubrication other than slideways?

Thank you in advance.

K

Thread: “Every Boy His Own Manufacturer"
17/11/2018 14:05:35

In the old days we used to apply a form of dragon's blood to each soldered circuit joint to show it had been inspected!

Thread: Copper Solid Rivets
14/11/2018 11:06:01

At least when the corrosion does start, observers will be able to note that the restoration was entirely authentic, complete with the dreaded corrosion of old!!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest