By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KWIL

Here is a list of all the postings KWIL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The cultural status of engineers in the UK
11/01/2020 14:35:21
Posted by Cornish Jack on 11/01/2020 12:54:01:

As a total 'outsider' in this debate, (my 'real-world' hands-on experience limited to a supervised engine change on a Whirlwind helo!) I view anyone with the sort of expertise demonstrated daily on this forum with total awe (and jealousy!).School grudgingly allowed an occasional foray into badly equipped and 'taught' woodwork and my route here was via a middle-aged addiction to R/C model aircraft, thence evening classes at Witney tech. This is NOT good grounding for being in present company.

To make any sort of generalisation as to relative merits of engineering skills or disciplines, seems to me to be quite pointless. For example, how would one differentiate between, for example, the late, much lamented, John S and Joseph Noci 2? Quite different skill level applications but a commonality of confidence in applying those skills ... and that is where I see the difference between we mere 'dabblers' and those with engineering abilities ... confidence - knowing (from experience) that what they are about to undertake is possible and within their 'skill set', whether that be based on intellectual or practical considerations.

Real engineers are important ... repeat ad infinitum!

rgds

Bill

Well said Bill,

Having spent my most of my working life involving participation in the design, project management and realisation of many "engineering" projects ranging from airborne surveillance, nuclear engineering, computers, broadcast equipment and a whole host of other items, I am considered to be an Engineer not just an engineering technician.( I do also like getting my hands dirty, if that helps.)

In addition I do have those relevant Post Nomials which state what I am.

That said, I am happy to be called a Model Engineer in this hobby field.

Thread: Bottled Gas Suppliers
10/01/2020 16:08:13

As I have always understood it, if an acetylene bottle has been lying down in transport it MUST be stood upright for a minimum of 4 hours to allow mixture to stablise. Works for me.

Thread: Magnetic chucks
10/01/2020 15:56:20

! I think I will pass on that one, thanks for the offer to haggle.

K

10/01/2020 12:24:51

Mark,

What price? I might like to experiment.

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
06/01/2020 12:56:54

I too have watched with horror the plight of Australia in the present times. I have only just found out that the flame front can be 60m or more high, a truly awesome sight.

Thread: Emergencies / Braking
30/12/2019 16:27:56

What kind or emergency did you have in mind?

Thread: One-shot Myford lubrication system
23/12/2019 14:42:20

I have fitted Hydraulic type grease nipples (used strictly for oil) to the carriage rear and front apron. Sealed carriage front (on top) point and drilled horizontally to match and fitted same for front shear lub. Base of tailstock modified for single point lub and fitted same. Oil cups retained where fitted and later Myford oilgun is quite suited to other points.

Thread: Myford bed twist
23/12/2019 11:35:07

Could be a number of causes.

Is the tailstock centre in good condition?

Is it cleanly mounted in taper?

Last and by no means least, how did you drill the centre for in the aluminium material?

Thread: Metric screw cutting clutch for Myford ML7B as Graham Meek clutch
12/12/2019 09:34:40

Problem Number Two.

It is possible to fit a needle roller thrust bearing arrangement to the leadscrew bracket without incurring the leadscrew positional shift, both my Super 7s are so fitted, one a PXF and the other standard, both with gearboxes.

11/12/2019 15:13:33

David,

I am easy to find on here! Look in my Album and you can see some of the photos I posted of my modification to Gray's clutch.

As Gray acknowledges, I and Tony Pratt were also involved in the final development of his clutch including me deriving the precise Myford dimensions of the Headstock, hence my insight into "how to change it"

PM me if you want further help, drawings were not produced at the time as the R&D was done on a completed unit 2011-2012! Loads of photos still on file. To my knowledge there are 2 units in addition to my own.

Ken

Thread: myford grey paint
06/12/2019 20:14:14

I could be wrong but I do not think it was a RAL or BS standard colour.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
04/12/2019 15:08:13

More expensive to buy, more expensive to repair, more expensive on fuel. Is there another reason?

Thread: M24 x 2 arbour
28/11/2019 09:04:26

**LINK**

Allendale Group, in stock for M20 but not M24

Edited By KWIL on 28/11/2019 09:07:04

Thread: Just bought an ML7, what should i do first?
15/11/2019 11:45:11

Shaun,

To reduce/eliminate the oil fling, apart from reducing drip rate, place a suitable sized O ring on the mandrel end and touching the headstock, oil then only exits on the inside of the bearing.

K

15/11/2019 11:23:01

ml7dial.jpg

Shaun,

From my photo album (last entry) my design to modify the standard ML7 fixed dial to be able to reset them.

(60 year old design but works!)

K

Thread: ‘Go- No Go’ or something more?
06/11/2019 14:24:12

The name "Unifeel" surely answers the question? One action checks the "feeling" ie "fit"

Thread: Bigger table for a small mill
01/11/2019 12:35:35

The real problem with using Coach Bolts rather than proper T nuts is that the underside of the slots can so easily damaged owing to the reduced area of contact of the coach bolt head conpared to that of a properly sized T nut.

Thread: AVO 8 Mk2 meter wire size
30/10/2019 18:02:06

Meth spirit flame temperature is quite low, thats what we used to use.

Thread: Brass, Steel and Fire
30/10/2019 16:25:57

Visiting York last week, I took the opportunity to visit the NRM once again and to see the new exhibition celebrating Rocket's return (albeit until Apr 2020).

Whilst interesting, I found myself somewhat under whelmed by the whole event.

If this was meant to generate real interest from members of the public then I think that NRM Senior Curator Anthony Coulls should have sought additional outside help in scoping the displays. Perhaps our own Model Engineer magazine participants and Editor could have enlivened the whole event with perhaps replicas of some of the other exhibits available in the Main Hall in our larger guages?

In passing, the arrangements whereby the entrance opposite the Leman Road carpark is closed and one must walk some way down the road (in the rain) to the lower entrance is to be deplored.

Edited By KWIL on 30/10/2019 16:27:50

Thread: Slideways oil
21/10/2019 11:28:52

I use Rocol X5 slideway oil, but you can buy Millers, Millway 68 for £60 for 20 litres from Cutwel, just need a few friends if the £60 is too much to bear!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Ausee.com.au
cowells
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest