By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KWIL

Here is a list of all the postings KWIL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Just bought an ML7, what should i do first?
15/11/2019 11:45:11

Shaun,

To reduce/eliminate the oil fling, apart from reducing drip rate, place a suitable sized O ring on the mandrel end and touching the headstock, oil then only exits on the inside of the bearing.

K

15/11/2019 11:23:01

ml7dial.jpg

Shaun,

From my photo album (last entry) my design to modify the standard ML7 fixed dial to be able to reset them.

(60 year old design but works!)

K

Thread: ‘Go- No Go’ or something more?
06/11/2019 14:24:12

The name "Unifeel" surely answers the question? One action checks the "feeling" ie "fit"

Thread: Bigger table for a small mill
01/11/2019 12:35:35

The real problem with using Coach Bolts rather than proper T nuts is that the underside of the slots can so easily damaged owing to the reduced area of contact of the coach bolt head conpared to that of a properly sized T nut.

Thread: AVO 8 Mk2 meter wire size
30/10/2019 18:02:06

Meth spirit flame temperature is quite low, thats what we used to use.

Thread: Brass, Steel and Fire
30/10/2019 16:25:57

Visiting York last week, I took the opportunity to visit the NRM once again and to see the new exhibition celebrating Rocket's return (albeit until Apr 2020).

Whilst interesting, I found myself somewhat under whelmed by the whole event.

If this was meant to generate real interest from members of the public then I think that NRM Senior Curator Anthony Coulls should have sought additional outside help in scoping the displays. Perhaps our own Model Engineer magazine participants and Editor could have enlivened the whole event with perhaps replicas of some of the other exhibits available in the Main Hall in our larger guages?

In passing, the arrangements whereby the entrance opposite the Leman Road carpark is closed and one must walk some way down the road (in the rain) to the lower entrance is to be deplored.

Edited By KWIL on 30/10/2019 16:27:50

Thread: Slideways oil
21/10/2019 11:28:52

I use Rocol X5 slideway oil, but you can buy Millers, Millway 68 for £60 for 20 litres from Cutwel, just need a few friends if the £60 is too much to bear!

Thread: Pratt Burnerd 4 jaw Chuck jaw alignment
21/10/2019 11:15:23

If as you say the chuck is otherwise pristine, although they have no obligation, my next port of call would be Pratt B for some friendly "help".

Thread: Bending stainless rod
19/10/2019 17:02:22

Assuming that the large pin in the vice is where you want the 45 degere bend and that in fact its a radiused bend (large pin ) then a second pin snugly against the radius of your 25mm collar should hold it all.

Needs to be firmly mounted in your new jig. Lots of heat away from jig, quickly inserted and pulled around with some form of lever pivoting on your large dia pin? (Just like a copper plumbing pipe bender with shaped pressure plate to protect the part being bent)

Thread: slidway lapping
17/10/2019 14:33:12

You do not really need the detail.

Measure the tailstock end of the bed as accurately as you can. Overall front to back, each of the slideway widths and depths. You now have all the dimensions you need for the original factory dimensions. The rear vertical face will not have been worn at all (narrow guide carriage). Wear on the carriage will be predominately on the short narrow guide and it will probably be tapered from side to side.You can check this by reference to the other vertical faces under the carriage.

Thread: Newall DRO
16/10/2019 10:08:15

John,

Yes microsyn on many scales but spherosyn on the Bpt (except the quill). Bpt has a summer on the vertical so sums the table and quill positions, so has to add microsyn and spherosyn together

Wiring fed through cable chains for neatness. Search KABELSCHLEPP Metool

Edited By KWIL on 16/10/2019 10:11:28

15/10/2019 11:28:32

Newall scales on my Myford S7s amd Harrison M300 all overhang partly to the rear. All single end mounted with own home made mounts. Single ended mount used for Bridgeport Quill DRO

Pics in Album

Edited By KWIL on 15/10/2019 11:38:06

Thread: Issue 286 - Bridgeport Article
15/10/2019 11:20:25

Like Andrew, I have a Bridgeport but I also read his article!

My Bpt sits on its own additional frame with screw down mounts which allows me to move or reposition it if I should need to (helpful when originally installed!).

As a consequence the machine is even taller and I have fitted my own air driven drawbar which removes the necessity for a step ladder.

Thread: Reilang oil cans
12/10/2019 09:48:07

I use more than one spec of oil so have many Reilang oilers including lock on fitting for hydraulic type nipple. Best kit around.

Edited By KWIL on 12/10/2019 09:48:39

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
11/10/2019 11:10:57

Post WW2 it was common to find 2 pin systems in use and they remained so until at least the the mid 50s. Those were the days of rubber and cotton insulated wires some encased in a lead sheath, but many draped wherever it was convenient. Even had 2 pin adaptors to plug into lamp sockets.

Thread: Has to be seen to be believed
05/10/2019 12:58:24

Suitable as a doorstop or for weighing in?

Thread: Spiral Flute Tap?
14/09/2019 12:10:14

As you do not need to back them off to break the swarf you do not have the problem of swarf jamming the flutes and helping to break you normal hand taps, particularly taper taps! I rarely use hand taps now.

Thread: Anyone know where I can get hold of 'Gauge Rods'
05/09/2019 15:11:14

Never seen a 0.001" guage block, not able to handle something that thinno

Thread: Repair required for Milling Knee
05/09/2019 14:52:03

I think I would have left it where it lay, in pieces and still having the £50.

Thread: Die filers for beginners?
30/08/2019 22:15:02

Hemingway used to allow purchase of drawings ahead of main order and would allow credit of cost of drawings if kit ordered later. You could ask them.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest