By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KWIL

Here is a list of all the postings KWIL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Advice for a newbie on tools and tool post for a Myford super 7
23/01/2021 11:07:32

Cutwel will supply you and although the Myford does have slower speeds they are more than adequate for our use of insert tooling.

Don't be put off by the doom sayers, learn how to use them and they are fine.

Thread: Shipping delays and costs
22/01/2021 14:50:48

Border Referendum? .

No hard border? I see the Guarda have road blocks checking car registration and red/green diesel use.

Thread: Myford ML7 Chucks - Which one?
22/01/2021 14:15:24

I have found that TOS brand (Czech) chucks have been reasonable in price and within their stated specifications.

Thread: Myyford gearbox strip down
17/01/2021 10:38:39

OP's gearbox is a Mk2 but same principles apply.

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
11/01/2021 14:10:37

The "repairers" are really "conservators", it is possible to go to West Dean College (not far from the Repair Shop Barn on the same estate) to learn the skills displayed in the programme.

The programme is a popular interest TV item, not an instructional course for experts, many of whom apparently exist on this Forum.

As said above, you do not have to watch it.

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
07/01/2021 16:49:15

Mine arrived today, good "anniversary" edition. I have a post delivery every day, at least I see the Postie even if none for me that day. Guess I am lucky.

Thread: ME magazine late again
04/01/2021 11:55:43

My copy arived (NE Hants) Saturday.

Thread: Super 7 Lathe Clutch, Countershaft or Pulley Wobble
02/01/2021 12:54:08

I am with those who consider it is a clutch problem. There is no doubt from the video that the outer part of the cluch runs true under power but the inner cone (clutch plate)is wobbling. I doubt that the Countershaft is bent but it could be or there is something trapped between the prongs of the Drive plate. Pity about the Tier 4 as I am not that far from Farnham.

Thread: PAT - Portable Appliance Test
31/12/2020 21:51:59

I would consider a Megger 1720 would be used for IEE 18th Edition Regs testing and NOT as a PAT tester. Megger make a PAT specific tester.

Thread: Which Slideway Oil 68 or 32
31/12/2020 21:38:06

ISO 68 Slideway oil for slideways. ISO 32 Hydraulic oil for lubrication. It's not just the viscosity that matters, slideway oil has a cling factor to keep it on the slideways, even the vertical ones.

Thread: A Certain Age
11/12/2020 12:41:56

Regarding Larry's point, have you noticed the signs on the hospital wards list?

Older persons when you get there it is still numbered G, ie Geriatric

Edited By KWIL on 11/12/2020 12:42:22

Thread: HELP in constructing 5 inch gauge points
09/12/2020 14:50:31

Try these people, they sell rail and chairs so may well advise on points

**LINK**

Thread: Workshop insurance
05/12/2020 12:41:50

Some years ago a number of MEs suffered losses from fires which were not properly insured. In MEW299 the subject arises again and here are my thoughts and actions.

At that time I was insured with More Than (Royal and Sun Alliance) . They would not insure me for workshop but Walter Midgely would. Strange to recall that the insurer standing behind WM was/is RSA!

That annoyed me so I looked around and found a mainstream insurer who would cover home and workshop for a premium similar to the combined RSA sums, I went with them getting a discount related to my Professional Institution.

Following year has seen Premium creep as I would call it, last year they tried and this year succeeded in going too far, so lost the business on the Renewal basis..

Looking around I have found LV= Home Plus will insure me for Building and Contents including machinery, tools and models (additonal letter confirms the latter. N.B. Hobby/craft use, no commercail work).

Buildings - Unlimited rebuild costs, Contents - £150K, contents not required to be itemised. In all, similar cover to the that offered upon Renewal from my current insurer BUT I have saved over £600.

Thread: Next issue late?
05/12/2020 12:21:55

ME4653 arived today and MEW 299 yesterday in Hampshire.

Thread: New Lathe at Lidl
01/12/2020 11:46:22

You had better bandsaw that blank round, otherwise it will be a flyer!

Thread: Calling all Startrite Mercury drill owners - opinion on noise
25/11/2020 22:05:06

Bumps at a join, well where the wrap ends is never a good thing.

25/11/2020 20:06:56

Graeme,

Just popped into the w0rkshop for you, mine is a Fenner SPZ 1010, just fills the pulley and is original belt.

Edited By KWIL on 25/11/2020 20:07:16

Thread: What am I?
25/11/2020 15:41:58

I am with Nigel Bennett, we had a Grdauate who spent most of his time telling us how hard he had worked for his Degree and that he did not intend to work that hard again, he did not last long, staff members and management saw to that.

On another occasion whilst visiting a well known national establishment, I was told that they had many engineers who started with them, who could design many things but none of them capable of being made!

Thread: Calling all Startrite Mercury drill owners - opinion on noise
25/11/2020 15:27:46

I bought my Startrite Mercury Floor model new some 30 years ago and it is still as good as new.

Over the years I too have changed bearings and Item 45 on the parts list, an O ring No 114.

As I recall this O ring did appear to quieten the spline chatter when unloaded, but does need to be done again! The O ring is located below the top bearing pair (6005 2RS) and sits around the splines.

The 5 speed belt is noted as V-belt A400 (Startrite part no.)

Thread: What am I?
25/11/2020 10:46:50

As I told one of my Managing Directors, I am probably the only person in the company who holds both a Management qualification and also an Engineering one as well, he left me alone after that!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest