By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KWIL

Here is a list of all the postings KWIL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Brass Founder vs Brass Caster
15/10/2020 14:58:56

Micheal,

If you have not already done this, you may find interesting to look within the Census data at occupiers of near premises. I have often found residents worked for the same employer/industry. For example sometime a large number of railway staff in close proximity.

Thread: Big Bang : Tallboy bomb
14/10/2020 10:46:15

I had the pleasure of meeting Barnes Wallis in a village hall in Surrey, where he gave a talk on the Dambusters and his boucing bomb. A very interesting man who then still felt the burden of the aircrew lost during that mission.

On the subject of A bombs, modern ones are considerably lighter than the originals.

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 15:12:02

Yes I think it amounts to about £200 per customer all paid via your present bills.

Thread: ML7 tooling
13/10/2020 14:11:53

If you look at the Myford supplied tools at that period you will find that the Myford range included a boat with a curved upper face which allowed height setting without shims, albeit with changing clearance angles.

Edited By KWIL on 13/10/2020 14:12:15

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 10:38:58

My daughter lives in Ontario, Canada, the price charged varies according to the time of the day, so to pay less you can choose to run your appliances at the cheaper time.

If the supplier wish to monitor usage they could fit metering to the substations. It is a not so smart meter, it has nothing to do with where the power comes from. Fortunately so far, not all suppliers force you to have one. Just one more thing to go wrong. From my address they would have difficulty remote reading it because the phone signals around here are appalling, I live in a hollow.

Thread: Grumpy old men
12/10/2020 10:29:27

I like Frances IoM's "come over", reminds me of the Orcadian "ferry leaper" meaning not an islander, whilst describing the island as Mainland Orkney.

11/10/2020 11:11:01

"At this moment in time" when they mean NOW.

Thread: Query - Derek Brown's Pipe Bender - MEW 297
09/10/2020 12:14:17

"This article is starting to feed off itself methinks !

• I bought the original
  • I bought the ‘re-work’
  • I will be buying the corrections

Hopefully there will be also room for some new content in MEW 298"

+1

Thread: Whitening
07/10/2020 16:21:03

Putty for glazing is whitening + boiled linseed oil.

Edited By KWIL on 07/10/2020 16:28:46

Thread: Corner Rounding
07/10/2020 16:17:48

Nothing new there then, collected a collection of those cutters over the years.

Thread: New Energy Supplier Companies
04/10/2020 16:53:20

After changing suppliers over the years I am now with GOTO energy, very satisfied, the lowest price per kwh (gas and elec) I have had for years.

Not required to have a smart meter and I do not want one either, not in my interest to have one. Opens the door to time variable charging.

Thread: Where's this rust come from ?
01/10/2020 09:45:10

"Felt-lined drawers keep tools from sliding during transport and help prevent moisture damage to contents " or so the Machine Mart sellers blurb says,

Thread: Why are BA taps so blooming expensive??
29/09/2020 11:12:30

Anyone watch the Spitfire Factory last night?

Required a 2BA socket to drive bolts holding the tail plane assembly onto the fuselagesmileysmiley

Edited By KWIL on 29/09/2020 11:14:02

Thread: Copper Plaque Identification
29/09/2020 11:07:16

If you do a birth search for the Chadwicks you will find that they could share a mothers name of Smith. If you then search birth location then that narrows it down the cheshire/staffordshire.

Assumptions are that they were born after 1911 if you use Mother's name appoach.

Just another idea for approaching your problem.

Thread: Restoring a wooden tool box, help needed
27/09/2020 11:19:45

Veritas is a trade name of Lee Valley Tools, Ottawa. A family owned firm. Google it to view some treasures.

25/09/2020 10:26:44

Aerolite 306 is waterproof, it is a adhesive for marine ply and used in the boat building industry.

There was special hardener for use with Formica which softened the formica backing to allow a better bond. Yes I found Cascamite brittle, its all to do with the mixing, all too easy to get a "powdery" mix.

Edited By KWIL on 25/09/2020 10:27:01

Thread: Warco Rotary Table - Can anybody give feedback please?
25/09/2020 09:56:05

Explain what you mean by utter rubbish!

Thread: Restoring a wooden tool box, help needed
25/09/2020 09:51:13

If working with Oak, beware, keep ferrous material away (ie metal bound brushes etc) as severe staining will take place.

25/09/2020 09:47:40

Personally I prefer Aerolite 306, with its separate hardener, useful if you have a large job with much glue to apply as the hardener is applied to one face and the glue to the other. In this way the set time commences only when the two are in contact. Set commences around 25 minutes. You can cheat and sometime allow hardener to be applied externally to set a joint, not  the best way but it does work.

Cascamite has open time of around 3 hours allowing lots of assembly time.

Aerolite invented in UK in 1934 and was used to build DH Mosquitoe aircraft for WWII

Edited By KWIL on 25/09/2020 09:49:10

Thread: Evaluating & Correcting Wear in an ML7
23/09/2020 16:51:41

Hopper,

Roller bearings, Myford Super 7 NOT ML7.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest