By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul White 3

Here is a list of all the postings Paul White 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuck chuck
05/11/2010 15:06:46
hello Howard,
           I've been there, after a good time thinking I realised that the backplate is held to the front section by the adjusting screws (3off).They must be removed before attempting a separation  of the chuck halves.

Good luck  regards.
Thread: Goodwin Castings
12/10/2010 17:53:25
Stirling Single, GWRdriver
   Regading your coments on cylinder castings for the stirling single in 31/2 gauge. I have built the Clarkson version of sterling and Conway. Having just had a look, the conway castings are considerably longer. This is bad news because the pony truck splashers on the sterling  interfere with front of the cylinder with the shorter correct castings. On my loco anyway.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Thread: powerfile bands
27/06/2010 11:09:46
Alan , thanks for your further comments.

Your suggestion of using EVOSTIK chimes with Keith Longs, this I will try.
I'll post result in a number of days (procure and mature time).

Regards Paul.
26/06/2010 17:38:43
Chris,Alan,  
                     Thanks for your comments.
 Chris-, I  am also a cheapskate having   performed most of the actions you describe, and under similar  circumstances.
I have not tried superglue,my attempts were with Araldite but all on lap joints.

Alan- I have a Makita belt file and also have had no problem with belt failures, having just checked all the belts are lap jointed. The B&D belts are both lap jointed and taped. All the failed belts are taped joints also the grit is coarse (40).  The lesson I think is that coarse grit should be lap jointed. 
A final thought , I would like to have caused the failure by overloading a worn belt!

The remaining question is; any thoughts out there for an adhesive to repair the failed belts or a source of the tape.

regards Paul
26/06/2010 14:26:10
Keith,  Many thanks for your response.  I should have stated in my original post that the belts are joined by an adhesive strip across the back of the splice. This form of construction does not seem to define a direction of run. The join appears to be held by some form of heat activated adhesive.

I will try the suggested internet  search and if I find a solution (ha-ha) i will post it, I can't believe that I am the only person suffering this problem.

Again thanks Paul.
26/06/2010 10:39:36
Hello all,   I use and have found the  Black & Decker  powerfile to be a most usefull tool. However a major problem exists with the use of this item,( for me anyway) ,  the failure of the abrasive band joints. As yet I have failed to wear one out ,they are failing at the joint in very short time . Has any body a satisfactory repair that can be shared?  Or any other comment.

Many thanks.  Paul.
Thread: Cutting Bevel Gears
25/04/2010 10:42:24
The other matter I meant to mention is the article on cutting constant depth bevel gears that apeared in model engineer  15Nov 64 , this should help.

Paul.
25/04/2010 10:05:33
Hi, it is in the climax book. Have the book, cut the gears, very satisfying. 

Can I help?

Paul.
Thread: Very early locomotive boiler feeds
13/04/2010 09:59:05
sorry about the above posting ,I didn't type it like that !

Paul
13/04/2010 09:56:53
Jonathan,
                Sorry no.  I thought that the impression came from information in "Ahrons" but
                having spent considerable time looking I can't find the reference.

I still feel that a device with one input and one output with set piston operation
                can only be controlled by:-  1,  restriction of supply
                                                                  2, ability to hold open the feed- in valve
                                                             or 3, open outlet from cylinder to atmosphere to
                                                                      prevent a vacuum being formed.

Paul.
12/04/2010 10:19:21
Jonathan,  If the valve" S "is for boiler feed, this would be a design for failure in the absence of  some form of bye pass or restiction in the feed water by producing the  hydraulic lock you mentioned in your earlier post !  Or am I missing something.  You may have found the earliest use of feed water control.  Pumps of this time had what looks like a valve lift control.

Paul.
11/04/2010 15:29:51
hi, a very interesting project .  Could the answer to your question be  a simple valve in the supply line that  controls water into the pump?
Thread: How many boiler tubes?
09/12/2009 10:42:52
Weary, many thanks for your input responding to my post.
Apart from Kozo's comments, an interesting set of results on the matter of boiler heat transfer, as I am sure you know, were produced by Jim Ewins and are published in the back of Evans boiler construction book.  It was the reading of these findings that got me started on seeking a" better mousetrap" Kozo's designs and the article on "Peverill" in 5" gauge with the single tube boiler, both fed my search for something new.

I think that 50 plus years  of no real movement in model boiler design is plenty, not just for efficiency  reasons but also ease of construction. " Model engineers" used to be regarded with " experimental" engineers.!
08/12/2009 10:45:25
If I may add a slightly divergent comment to this interesting thread (interesting to me anyway).  Over the last few years there have been some very good articles in Model Engineer of an  experimental  nature using the modern stress analysis systems.
Aspects of the work relating to model boilers include the fact that some 80% of heat transfer that takes place, does so in the firebox (this has been claimed in past but confirmed latterly), another significant finding is the concentration of stress around and between stays.  To apply these two "findings" to model boilers is what has been done by Kozo in his design  of boilers on the,  Switcher, and Shay.
This development in design is, I believe, to be embraced, particularly as it reduces copper and silver solder cost, and eases manufacture.  Improved superheater possabilities also come with the different approach (see the article on a single flue boiler fitted to an Isle of Man loco used for passenger hauling).
Use of these latter findings must  move our modelling foreward, won't  it?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest