By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul White 3

Here is a list of all the postings Paul White 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Has anybody come across one of these
01/12/2017 14:35:11

Thanks Alan, I have one of those!

Paul.

01/12/2017 14:09:08

Alan, thanks for the reply. The item is a horizontal mill for second operations, made up of a very solid base with a powered vertical slide and a 2 way table.

Do you know if the Erma you mentioned were at Wembley?

Paul.

01/12/2017 13:43:58

This verb age should have been with the photo above.

The name of this item describes the tool. its robustness indicates an industrial purpose. The photo shows my use of it to reduce the size of hexagon heads.

Any info would be most welcome.

Thanks. Paul.

01/12/2017 13:36:04

sec-op-mil 2.jpg

Thread: Division Master (Stepper Motor Dividing)
21/11/2017 11:37:05

I would like to say that the 2 postings you have made on this subject are, clear information and most helpful to anybody considering building this item.

Can you identify what the bells and whistles are to help a decision on their desirability.

Many thanks.

Paul

Thread: Uploading photos on forum album
26/10/2017 13:49:54

Jason, thanks for guidance . After locating 1 picture in the post I was then unable to continue the posting and sign off.

paul

Thread: 100 years on
26/10/2017 09:59:28

I will try once more here are the photo's the Dalton after refurb before fitting the ELS.

Dalton after refurb

Thread: Uploading photos on forum album
26/10/2017 09:46:20

Neil,. thank you for your reply. Therein lies the answer I think, I was trying to load a number of photo's into the posting and got nothing, but your response may have hit the problem in stating, select the image , I was trying for 5 images.

This same problem arose when trying to load images into the album, the screen offered 5 selections but in the end after many attempts I had to load the album 1 image at a time. My screen gave message along the lines- contact blocked due to pop ups whatever that meant.

paul

25/10/2017 17:23:11

Neil, sorry to say the loading of photo's into postings does not work for me either. You kindly did an edit on my posting yesterday, I have tried to complete the picture set but no go.

Thank you to Michael and Dave for their kind comments.

paul.

Thread: 100 years on
25/10/2017 17:13:06

This should be the set of photo's.

24/10/2017 16:37:40

here are the photo's that should have been with posting above.

Edited By Paul White 3 on 24/10/2017 16:39:00

sorry folks will not post please look in my albums.

Edited By Paul White 3 on 24/10/2017 16:40:36

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 24/10/2017 17:40:29

24/10/2017 16:16:44

Sorry folks my computer or the site will not allow me to make an album or post it, when its sorted I will repost.

paul

24/10/2017 15:34:37

There have recently been postings covering screwcutting and updating of ML4 lathes, that led me to post my experience on these 2 fronts although my ML4 .updating was 50 years ago.

All my machines, like me , are of the last century they look substantial and in many cases very pleasing to the eye. This is particularly the case with my Dalton lathe , picture enclosed after refurbishment. This item is over 100 years old but has many desirable dimensional relationships (bed width to centre ht. carriage support length to centre ht.) that would be sought after today.

After the refurb. practical aspects of the machines use became clear and its use in todays environment left room for improvement. The significant increase in Metric unit use, needs extra work on set up of the machine, and in my brain which still works in imperial units and needs a conversion for my understanding. All the foregoing bought to mind the single tooth mod done on the Myford. Then along came Joe, he being Joe Noci who described his refurb. of an Emco lathe and the fitting of an electronic leadscrew designed with his wife Gisela ( they are without doubt a formidable team).

This unit will allow the lathe to cut imperial or metric pitches , internal, external and left hand threads without resort to change wheels or thread dials and as an extra includes variable speed carriage feed. Joe describes it as an electronic version of the single tooth clutch approach I was sold on this as a must have.

Joe agreed to help me build and understand what I was doing, in building the unit. He did say it was not a plug and play project and was he ever right..

The photo's show the Dalton headstock with all the gearcutting and feed kit removed as they are now redundant, in their place is the encoder that reads the mandrel activity and the stepper motor that drives the leadscrew.

Also shown is the control panel, used when the feed function, left and right traverse, and the thread and return buttons. This is mounted in a convenient position for operation.

The further picture shows the unit used to set the pitch and unit for threading together with the start and finishing position of the thread to be cut. This unit also carries the feed speed control pot.

That then is the project that moved a100 year old machine from one century to the next in its function and scope. To my mind it looks as though it was meant to be, still beautiful .

paul

Thread: First threads on lathe
24/10/2017 14:17:03

single tooth clutch 2Hello, some 50 years ago I obtained my first lathe, a secondhand Myford ML4. This machine suffered all the well known failings of the marque.

Screwcutting at that time, was a buttock clenching experience with any thread not a multiple of the leadscrew thread count of 8TPI, and no leadscrew thread dial .

I became aware of the single tooth mandrel clutch, this promised a great easing of the screwcutting experience, so one was made and fitted. All imperial threadcutting became a breeze.

I attach a photo of the ML4 headstock for anyone interested.I will now start anew thread under the heading 100 years on, concerning screwcutting.

paul.single tooth clutch 1

Thread: Centec2 knee adjustment
04/09/2017 11:50:03

this should have been in above postingelevating screw2.jpg

04/09/2017 11:44:10

Sean. I think this is what you are looking for. I made this from bits that were to hand , a bevel gear and screw made 1/2" square thread. Connecting the top of the thread to the knee I found difficult and propose drilling through both webs and inserting a cross support.

I am sure you know but the stops in your photo are upside down.

regards Paul.

Thread: Stringer EW lathe
21/07/2017 12:43:43

Justin.

I have laboured the advantage of having a clutch in the drive line of the EW. (see my posts) , as you are working on the countershaft now would be a good time to consider such a fitment.

regards

Paul.

20/07/2017 10:48:04

Justin, Ian.

Thanks for the explanation. Ian's post says it all, the truth of the old saying about pictures and words comes to mind.

My guess was that the holes were for pin location on some sort of hinged guard over the pulley, embryo H&S.

The log in and password proceedure on this site is most unstable and very annoying...

Regards to both

Paul.

18/07/2017 16:05:11

Ian. thanks for your reply, at least I hav'nt been asleep for the past half century. Very interesting as you say I look foreward to more info.

regards

Paul.

18/07/2017 10:26:36

hello all.

Can anybody give a purpose for the lugs an the headstock castings, front. of Justin's lathe, in 65 years of EW interest this is a first for me.

Thanks.

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest