By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul White 3

Here is a list of all the postings Paul White 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machinery Directive and CE marking
06/04/2019 13:30:12

+1, well said Joe.

Thread: Centec raising block
04/04/2019 09:09:22

Dave Halford.

Your proposed - push back and clamp is the process I use, but had not been told that I couldn't!

04/04/2019 08:53:07

Gary,

I must disagree with your "only purpose for the block" statement . My reason for making one was to change from vertical to horizontal configuration without taking off the very heavy head. This is perhaps what the OP was thinking.

03/04/2019 10:57:07

Hello Frank,

Having the same problem with regard to the weight of the vertical head, I made a lifting block from a piece of 3" sq.

18" long mild steel. Having machined the dove tails I also drilled some lightening holes in the support.

I also fitted a separate motor for the vertical head driven thro a VFD . This set up removes the need to reset the drive belt.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
02/01/2019 16:11:22

Joe,

I should have guessed, did not consider stroke variation, making an even more impressive build.

Looks like a busy year, 2 days into it and 2 projects finished

.Paul

02/01/2019 15:37:37

Joe,

Did you really mean 2 and 130 strokes/sec. I know you build fast but HSS blades must be essential!

A very neat product at any speed.

Thread: What Wonderful machinery was made back then!
02/01/2019 11:44:40

Joe, Many thanks for the very interesting link.

Emgee, I had a screen appear that suggested itself to be a windows security alert, warning me of a virus attack(3of them) and listing them, with the information that my operating system was in melt down. Action was advised to immediately use a scan (free of charge) by downloading from the page.

Ran windows security scan and Malwarebytes both gave clear result. The initial screen was quite convincing, take care.

Paul..

Thread: This weeks offer at Lidl
29/11/2018 12:31:07

Hello all,

If anybody intends to buy one of the die grinders on offer today, be sure to open and check the contents before leaving the shop, I travelled and returned home then found on opening the carton that one of the collets was missing.

Spares are not held so a return journey is needed for exchange putting another £5 ONTHE PRICE.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
19/11/2018 13:46:17

Joe,

A very interesting thread. The link you gave was also informative. I am not clear if the damper increased available torque or allowed the stepper to operate faster. This raises the question of what would be the result of such a unit on the normal AC motor?

08/11/2018 11:43:33

Joseph Noci post earlier today.

This is a most interesting post, in my opinion, which for me, raises a number of questions Joe.

1.Was there any science behind the dia. of flywheel choice, the material used or any weight target?

2. Was the choice of slug material and radius of location following any calculation ?

3. would a smaller steel flywheel with lead slugs be as effective (or better) ?

paul.

Thread: Gear Hobber : Design ideas please ...
07/08/2018 16:57:52

Joe having put my activity on the board I must now comment- I had built a Jacobs machine some 20 years ago but found the changing of gears for each wanted gear a bit of a fag, just the same as setting up for screw cutting on the lathe. The lathe problem was solved by Joe giving me the detail and lots of encouragement for an ELS (electronic leadscrew).

This was such a success that I asked Joe for an opinion on removing all the gears from the hobber and doing the same electronically, almost by return he had produced a program and circuit.

It was then down to me to make a new gear blank head and set up an encoder on the hob spindle. This is still work in progress (work being impossible for the last 2 months, too hot). Without doubt if I were starting on a hobber today it would be a stripped down Jacobs with Joes electronics.

It is a fun project in my opinion.

paul.

Thread: Variable transformer
20/06/2018 17:31:02

Thank you all for your helpful input, subject to the original hope for a spec sheet I think we can put this one to bed.

Paul.

20/06/2018 15:41:13

John, All the information that I have is covered in the first posting and the response to John Haine. the only additional info I can give is the wire gauge of the winding, this is 23SWG ( to the best of my measurement ).

How do I ensure its meant to run on 240 volt.

Thanks for your response.

Paul

20/06/2018 14:32:51

Michael, another supercharged response, thanks. A quick look through the RS listing has specs that I find just produces more questions. Your last comment - load it and see if it gets hot, is a probable course of action.

I hoped in my ignorance that someone may have a spec.

Kwil, thanks for the warning. I am not new to the auto transformer I have a large unit that I have used over the years on all sorts of applications but it is a HEAVY unit , this one that is subject of the posting is much lighter .

Paul.

Edited By Paul White 3 on 20/06/2018 14:42:02

20/06/2018 14:14:03

John, that's what I call a response, the winding is 4 inches dia and 1.5 inches deep.

Thanks

Paul

20/06/2018 14:04:34

Some 30 + years ago I acquired what I called a variac which has been kept on the "it'll come in" basis, and sure enough it can now be put into use.

The problem is that I have no idea as to its current capacity, it is marked as follows- cressall, England, drovolt. code2799 (the second 9 in this number is a guess it could be s or even 8).

I have tried searching the internet with no result.

Can anybody help me determining the capacity.

Thanks .

Paul.

Edited By Paul White 3 on 20/06/2018 14:07:51

Thread: Multi page threads.
25/05/2018 10:14:25

Hello all.

I would just like to say what a joy it is to get what you ask for (well almost). The page is entitled " LATEST POSTS"

not- thread containing latest post. Having to scroll down the page is the justification for the "almost" above.

24/05/2018 14:39:17

NDIY,

Fully agree, perhaps someone in authority will take note and save all our keypads some wear and our time wasting.

24/05/2018 13:17:11

Bazyle & Dave (SOD),

Thanks for your input, problem now solved, I'll take my grumpy hat off.

Dave, the fact that you can't win is well established in my experience.

Edited By Paul White 3 on 24/05/2018 13:18:27

24/05/2018 12:22:17

Ady,

Many thanks for your short precise response.

I cant make your link work, can you please expand on the action required of me?

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest