By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for WorkshopPete

Here is a list of all the postings WorkshopPete has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Smokebox Black Paint
23/06/2020 21:42:49

Good Evening All

I have a part used pot of Phoenix Precision Paint smokebox back but no thinners left. I checked the phoenix web page and could not see smokebox black listed. I emailed them three weeks ago asking what thinners to use but have not received a reply. Does anybody know what to use?

Workshop Pete

Thread: Sharpening Fine tooth slitting Saws
18/05/2020 22:19:44

Thanks everyone it looks like I need an 11V9 which gives a 70Deg included angle of the tooth unfortunately I checked the german supplier on eBay but they are currently out of stock I am waiting a reply as to when and if they are getting tham back.

Once again thank you everyone

Keep Safe

Peter

18/05/2020 09:21:33

Thanks Jason

Yes but it would work well although a bit expensive since most of the coated surface would not be used only small angled portion.

Peter

18/05/2020 09:11:18

Thanks John

That is very interesting I have always thought Diamond for carbide and CBN for HSS. The one problem I have found with diamond dish wheels is the only one surface is coated normally the flat face where for my application I would like the angled face also to be coated.

Peter

18/05/2020 08:19:40

Thanks ega

The problem with Diamond is its not good for grinding HSS where as CBN is ideal and unlike conventional grinding wheels maintains its shape. Someone must do it the professional cutter sharpening companies can do it so there must be something out there but where. I must have at least a dozen cutters that are all in need of treatment accumulated over years in our hobby.

Another thing does anyone know why the hole on a slitting saw is slightly eccentric? they all seem to be this way and its not the arbor.

Peter

17/05/2020 18:09:36

Does anyone know where you can but a CBN grinding wheel to sharpen fine tooth slitting saws ideally 5 or 6 inches dia. I am thinking of a saucer/dish wheel with material on both the face and angled back side so a plunge grind would shape both the tooth face and the back of the next tooth.

thanks

Peter

Thread: LBSC Britannia Design
06/07/2019 12:32:31

Thanks Brian

I have looked through a number sites and none seem to mention my problem which leads me to believe its a building rather than a design error. The boiler is a challenging build I have had a number of discussions with our boiler inspectors and have sorted to their satisfaction the barrel outer wrapper joint which is now complete.. I tried the boiler onto the chassis and when hard up against the smoke box the throught plate touches the rear coupled wheels my chassis came fitted with a spacer piece/ring between smoke box and the boiler barrel about 1/2" wide to correct this so no problem. It looks like this build is going to be a test.

Thanks again

Peter

06/07/2019 11:08:20

Thanks Brian

Have just posted on that site they seem to have a 3 1/2" Britannia specific Board excellent - wait and see.

Peter

06/07/2019 08:57:56

Hi All

Several year ago I purchased a finished 3 1/2" LBSC Britannia chassis the craftsmanship is good but the painting and general state is poor requiring a full strip down cleaning and painting. The one thing I have noticed is that the leading end (The part with the short drop link attaching to the valve rod) fowls the top forward corner of the expansion links. My question, is this a known fault or is there something wrong with this build. Since I am going to totally strip the chassis down once i have built the boiler (which is now 50% finished) any modification should not be a problem. Thanks

Peter

Thread: homemade slip roll
06/10/2018 11:48:39

Yes Vntagengineer and Mick both good solutions I have used the pre bending over a round bar, its a good dodge but if you are going to make a set of rolls its nice to know their short comings. I built a set of the George Thomas slip rolls shortly after the design was published and they have been an excellent piece of kit I also built a set of chain driven pyramid rolls to roll mild steel bar 10 x 25 for our club track (Tynside Model Engineers - Newcastle) and they have worked well rolling 14 mtr. curves. It "horses for courses"

Peter

06/10/2018 08:27:47

An Excellent demonstration of the short comings of pyramid slip rolls you always finish with a flat section at the start and finish of the job. With the rear nip format only one end has a flat which can be corrected by flipping the job around and running it through again. George Thomas gave a very detailed explanation of this in his article on construction of the bending rolls. The pyramid rolls are excellent for just forming a curve but not a closed hoop.

Peter

Thread: Automatic Model Colliery
19/08/2017 09:55:01

Hi I have been asked by a friend if I can find the where abouts of a model last seen in the late 1950's. It was a steam operated model of Seaton Burn Colliery. being first displayed at the 1929 North East Coast Exhibition held in Exhibition Park Newcastle upon Tyne after this it when to an exhibition in Copenhagen. It was kept at the builders home after this eventually been sold the two showmen from South Wales after this the trail goes cold. The model was called the Automated Model Colliery and entry to the exhbit cost 3 old pence.Any information would be welcome and will past to my friend who is a local historian.

Thread: Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock Drawings
16/06/2017 10:37:19

Apart from the Ross Harrison Slate Waggon described in Engineering In Minature are there any drawings in 5" gauge that I could use for a driving truck behind my Sweet Pea. I am thinking of something Like the MOD "D" waggon that would make up into an excellent driving truck but apart from a 4mm drawing there seems to be nothing available.

Peter

Thread: 3phase elec's
08/05/2017 18:13:57

I worked in Saudi for a number years for a large American oil company which of course used 110 volt the secondary star winding was even more complex in that each leg had a centre point so you could get 110volt as well as 220.

On another point due to the high dust content in the air the pylon insulators use to track across when the humidity rose, quite a sight. They had a helicopter equipped with a washing unit and would wash the insulators with lines hot, i believe the liquid was a silicon based material.

Peter

Thread: Boring copper tube problems
19/04/2017 23:07:40

Mini Rotabroach I have them up 1 1/2" and the hole is dead size with very little power can be used in a battery drill no need for a mill.

Thread: Small Milling machine
24/03/2017 16:29:42

I second Nicks suggestion I have had an FB2 for over 30 Years and can vouch for the quality a very much underrated piece of equipment. Along with the Maximat Super 11 lathe they were often seen in the track side workshops of F1 racing teams.

Peter

Thread: Mystery tool
02/01/2017 23:23:32

Ok I have a pair of Starrett vice hold downs as above but how do you use them?

Peter

Thread: Chuck backplates, buy or make?
21/12/2016 23:09:58

Just a note I had to make several chuck backplates for my Maximat Super 11 and found the training weights sold in Tesco provided a cheap ready source of cast iron. They were available in several sizes mind this was several years ago i do not know if it is still relevant. The only thing to watch is the that the hole through the centre is not to large.

Peter

Thread: Harrison L5 Starter
02/12/2016 11:25:51

Hi Scrumpy a thing to remember is that the control circuit of your L5 must be powered from the two phases that have the original supply to. The generated phase can have a wildly varying voltage that can burn out the coils in the starter. I was caught out by this on a 5hp Transwave rotary converter and had to replace the starters FOC for a customer.

Thread: Doncaster Model Engineering Show
22/05/2016 18:37:02

Thanks John for the excellent service and banter in sharpening my milling cutters I do not know how you have the patience to site there hour after hour. Once again thank you very much.

Peter Newby

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest