By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Theasby

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Theasby has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Exactly...
09/10/2019 21:56:31

I have it, although under its previous title, The Perfectionists. Don't be fooled into buying it twice.

Thread: What the he**
24/09/2019 06:15:08

I once had a coil spring break whilst I was parked! It was on a Bedford CF van. I also had continual trouble with the front shock absorber mounting becoming loose.

Thread: Rip-Off? Don't judge by web domains.
17/09/2019 23:21:48

Hi all,

My Practical Wireless article was July 2018. Sorry for the delay in replying, I was distracted, it is our 14th wedding anniversary.

I confirm that my clock keeps good time, close enough not to need resetting between power cuts etc., (roughly yearly) There is no backup battery. I don't use the alarm setting, but in another, more complex kit, the alarm time creeps backwards by 1 minute per day..

17/09/2019 05:21:58

Absolutely, XD. I wrote about these kits in Practical Wireless a year or so back. (Details when I wake up) I bought a handful of them for a quid or so, and use one as a workshop clock. just because the asking price is ludicrously high does not make it 'rip off', in that one is free not to buy it.

A book I was interested in is priced on ebay at about £52, another at £40+, I bought it brand new, from a routine bookseller, for £16,99, yes, it's still in print!

Thread: Mains power supply for 12v dc motor
31/08/2019 08:16:00

Brian, LED's draw miniscule currents, of the order of milliamps, individually, so a lighting controller would be far too weak. The idea of a 12 volt battery is a good one, as is a PWM controller. I have one costing about £10 which will handle 60 amps. **LINK**

Hang this off a suitable power supply, say 12 or 24 volts DC , like this: **LINK** and Robert's your aged relative.

Thread: How can this work?
22/08/2019 17:41:36

Neil,

dscf0808.jpgHow about an orange v-belt?

Thread: strange power socket
16/08/2019 10:33:32

S.O.D., I have one of those 'alternative' 13 amp plugs. I often wondered at its purpose, and only kept it as a curiosity.

Thread: Is there a type of Sellotape/"sticky-backed-plastic" that forms a PERMANENT bond
30/07/2019 20:25:52

I was going to suggest Kapton tape, too. What Andrew has is called self-amalgamating tape, much used for outdoor sealing purposes. Stretch it round the item to be sealed, and it bonds with itself, can only be removed by destructiion.

Thread: 3 phase - radio puzzle
30/07/2019 16:47:55

Look for IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) power line filters, about £10, they plug in, you don't need to open them up.

30/07/2019 11:14:49

Radio Devon is on six VHF channels in the area, two MW freq's, DAB Multiplex 10C (Between 174-240 MHz) Freeview Ch. 720, and iPlayer. Mix and match these for best reception on each radio.

30/07/2019 10:46:16

No one has mentioned or asked the frequencies or bands in use by these radios. Medium wave, VHF/FM, DAB? If they are set to different bands, it is quite likely that one will be interfered with but not the other, even if listening to the same station, Radio Devon in this case.

Thread: Acetone
28/07/2019 09:54:43

Acetone is readily available here in UK, in particular from the Ladysave chain, as nail varnish remover.

Thread: Guess the Chemical?
28/07/2019 09:50:58

Dave, small amounts of water added to red hot coke = Producer Gas? Some railway locos were designed to generate and use it.

Thread: water supply
16/06/2019 08:35:07

I recall that when Keilder Water was built there was much muttering about t being a white elephant. Now, water is being piped South as requested.

Thread: Basic questions about wax chucks
29/05/2019 09:53:20

My wife, Deborah, needed some wooden buttons for her knitting project, so I made some from a fir tree we had chopped down in the garden, and was seasoning in the garage. I made such a chuck from aluminium bar, about 50 mm across, and turning a recess of about 3mm in one face. Filling the recess with 'hot glue' I stuck on the button blank and let it cool. I found that I could carefully turn a presentable button in this way, which could be levered gently off, and reversed the process to face the other side, and several others followed.

Don't be afraid, experiment!

Thread: Blurred picture
23/05/2019 22:09:25

Sir,

I took that picture with a Panasonic Lumix DMC FS-35 compact camera, which is capable of taking great shots. The one in question, Photo 2, is 5.9 Mb in size, well above the minimum required by M.E.'s editors. The fault is mine, in that there is a little camera shake, or loss of focus, I can't tell which. I used the picture as I thought the subject matter interesting, even if the technicalities did not quite meet your exacting standards. May I point out that the slick and glossy photos to which you allude are taken with equipment very much more sophisticated and costing tens of thousands of pounds, then 'photoshopped' endlessly to get the best possible results.

Thread: A visit to Manchester Sci and Eng Museum
02/05/2019 13:35:47

Regarding the Merlin, I have just skimmed Stanley Hooker's chapter on Merlins, and found the Ford/tolerances section, but not another item I remember from somewhere. Ford or Packard suggested using head gaskets, instead of the metal to metal joints originally used. This meant cutting several operations and speeded up production considerably.

Thread: A Unique Word?
27/04/2019 06:51:59

At least one club publishes a 'newssheet'.

Thread: Wentworth woodhouse
22/04/2019 21:39:42

There's a Myford and many tools at Sheffield Auction Galleries this week, Viewing Thursday, auction Friday or Saturday.

Thread: miniature 3 pin sockets
28/03/2019 06:58:29

Basically, you need Molex connectors. If a panel plug/socket, do not use stereo jacks, as has been said, because the wrong contacts 'make' as they are connected. Microphone connectors, available in many 'ways' can be used, but not if there is danger of harmful, inappropriate connectors being mated, causing hazards.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest