By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gray

Here is a list of all the postings Gray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 19:04:46

Chester Cobra combi machine

Chester Model B - regretted from day 1

Myford ML7, never used bought, refurbished and sold to fund other projects

Warco WMT300/2 (the one without the mill head, good machine and often regretted selling on

Warco GH1330, 15 years old and still giving good service

Warco WM250V - 4 years old and still waiting for its CNC or ELS conversion (not decided which yet)

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 18:49:15

First on was a Chester cobra combi machine, the mill is similar to a seig x1, good enough machine but rapidly outgrew it. Next came a Chester Model B Combi machine, regretted right from the off as it was not rigid enough and the mill was virtually useless.

After that I bought a Hyundai badged X2 clone, and also acquired a Warco ZX15 round column mill. Both did their job well but when the opportunity arose to purchase a fully tooled Ajax AJT4 turret mill, for less money that the tooling alone was worth, the small mills went. The Ajax is a big machine but is more than capable of everything I will need.

Thread: TTFN
19/07/2019 08:44:28

I appreciate that we all need to let off a bit of steam now and again but there is no excuse for making derogatory comments aimed directly at any one individual in an open forum.

Anyone guilty of this should their account locked and spend a month 'in the cooler' to re consider their actions.

I also use large ex industrial machinery, I would never get the big bits of a 6" traction engine on a Seig X3 (although I recon 3 X3's would fit comfortably on the table of my milling machine . Why do people think that hobby machining is restricted to small scale stuff!

Andrew, it's a shame you feel you need to make the decision you have, your contributions will be greatly missed, always interesting, informative and well written. All the best and don't be a stranger for too long.

Gray

Edited By Gray on 19/07/2019 08:52:50

Thread: Mill DRO - How many axis?
23/06/2019 20:27:10

Not in the same ballpark as a benchtop mill like the SX2.7L but on my Ajax AJT4 turret mill, I originally had a 3 axis X, Y, Z DRO, which subsequently developed the 'jitters'. At Ally Pally this year I bought one of their 4 axis 750 series LCD head units (already have the 3 axis unit on my large lathe). This head allows combining of the Z and U axis or having them display separately. For the most part I use them separately but it is a simple matter of changing one setting to combine them when the need arises. Having DRO on the knee (or in your case the moving head) and also on the quill is a luxury I would now not be without.

Gray

Thread: Drip feed oiler plans
10/06/2019 19:19:23

Thank you to all who responded to this request, and a big thank you to Jason who has provided me with some details of various solutions.

The machine I am restoring is a Studer cylindrical grinder, this has been a long term project and nearing completion, since asking, I have been gifted two original looking oilers for the main grinding wheelhead spindle however, I still intend to make two more to replace the wick oilers on the workhead spindle.

I need to strip and refurb the original oilers and assess their condition so I may still have to remake those as well.

Gray

09/06/2019 07:38:11

Hi Jason,

I have various sizes of both glass and acrylic tube ranging from 15mm up to around 40mm dia.

Would appreciate any drawings.

Where did you get the acrylic bowl?

Gray

08/06/2019 21:23:40

Brian,

The glass I have and cutting it is not an issue.

I also have a good quantity of brass from which to make all of the parts.

All I need is a decent set of drawings .

Like I said, I know I can buy ready made but that takes all the fun out of it

Gray

08/06/2019 18:44:30

I need to make some drip feed oilers as part of a restoration of a vintage machine tool. Does anyone have or know of a decent design/drawing for an oiler similar in size to those fitted on Myford lathes.

I know I can buy ready made ones but that wouldn't be as satisfying

thanks

Gray

Thread: Hi from Hampshire
08/06/2019 15:14:42

Hi Rob, welcome to the nuthouse. Whereabouts in Hampshire are you? I am also in Hampshire, quite close to Liss/Petersfield.

I'm also an instrument maker as a hobby, mainly guitars but have made a couple of native American style flutes and do minor repairs on Saxophones.

Would love a pultra but not yet found one to my liking.

Gray

Thread: Harrison wiring
25/05/2019 07:47:14

Here's a wiring diagram for the M300.

That transformer is most likely the one that sits in the contactor coil/interlock circuit. But, there is also another transofrmer in the diagram for the machine lamp. You need to identify these and ensure they are correctly connected. as per the diagram below if you are running the machine from a 415 3 phase supply.

m300 schematic.jpg

Thread: Stand alone controller
21/05/2019 06:57:24

Mike,

thanks, always helps when one has the correct search terms

19/05/2019 08:59:55

Hi VC,

can you post details of the controller and where you obtained it from, looking for something like this for a project I have in mind.

ta

Gray

Thread: Warco lathe Users
05/05/2019 14:10:53

gh1330-threading.jpg

Hi Chris, I also own a GH1330, mine is imperial.

I presume you are referring to the arrow as in the above snapshot of the thread chart.

If you look to the right of the arrow, the numbers show which gear should be fitted in the lower position depending on which tpi you are cutting and the lever positions needed for that thread pitch.

Hope that makes sense,

if you need any further help, PM me. I can help you out with the manual if needed.

Gray

Thread: Gear cutting
10/04/2019 18:24:45

Give MJ Engineering a call, Alan can cut gears for most engines although the DNY is not on his list he may be able to help.

Thread: Sending of heavy items
08/04/2019 09:06:49

2.5 stone is not a useful weight to quote in a metricated world!

UPS will ship a 30kg parcel for around £15

look at uk.interparcel.com or www.parcel2go.com

Edited By Gray on 08/04/2019 09:10:47

Thread: Advice on Choosing A Mini Lathe
30/03/2019 16:55:39

Just to clarify, the declared voltage in the UK is now 230V AC +10% to -6%. Therefore it can be anywhere between 216V and 253V.

This will vary depending on where you are within the distribution network and the loading on the network. I often see voltages at the higher end when working on properties that are close to a pole transformer, sub station or line transformer. It is very rare to see voltages much below 220V

Thread: Fixed vertical metal bandsaw?
30/03/2019 07:53:36
Posted by choochoo_baloo on 29/03/2019 13:42:03:

[I'm not too keen on the generic 6 x 4 bandsaws form the usual suppliers.]

Any advice gratefully received.

I've had the 'generic' 6x4 saws in the past and would agree they are not the greatest, bought one of these from Axminster a couple of years ago and it has not let me down, cut accurately straight out of the box, can be used vertically (although you do need to make a decent table for that mode of use)

Thread: Inverter
12/03/2019 17:46:15
Posted by Paul Scholey on 12/03/2019 14:20:09:

Thanks for your replies, I have a Harrison 140 with a top speed of only 750 rpm and would like something as well as the Harrison with a higher speed, I have been looking at Warco but comments seem to vary on the satisfaction,

Hi Paul,

I currently have 2 Warco lathes (have had others and a mill from them in the past), a GH1330 which I've owned for about 14 years, fitted a 3 phase motor and and IMO inverter. Been very happy with the lathe, no problems with reliability or accuracy. I also have one of their newer WM250V lathes which come standard with 3 phase motor and Delta inverter. Again very happy with the machine.

I buy a lot from Warco as they are quite close to me and I have always been very satisfied with their service

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
15/02/2019 20:26:33
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 10/02/2019 18:37:16:
Posted by Gray on 10/02/2019 09:09:53:

So typical of a web R&D dept doing very little R and absolutely no D!

Gray,

This reader has been around for donkey's years, it's an off the shelf product, not an in-house one.

Neil

The implementation/integration of a replacement feature still needs to be carefully tested to ensure it is fit for purpose, that's the R&D to which I refer.

It so obviously needs its configuration 'fine tuning' something which should have been done long before it was 'inflicted' on an unsuspecting readership.

I echo the sentiments of others, put it back as it was or find a reader that is suitable for the task. I read many other publications online and none are as bad as this one.

I'm so glad I didn't give up on the print part of my subscription. Even the pocketmags reader is better than this and that frequently crashes!

Gray

10/02/2019 09:09:53

There's a lot more than print that needs working on.

Why oh why has this been thrust upon us without any thought for functionality or usability.

For instance, in the old viewer, once you had zoomed in to a readable size, you could turn pages and continue reading, the new viewer instantly returns to its default zoom level (100%) each time you turn a page, so you then have to zoom in again.

Another thing, clicking the full screen view does not do exactly that, it turns off browser toolbars etc but the magazine image remains the same size AND, if you then try to use zoom and move around the page, you are only viewing a window on the page, so the rest of the page disappears under the grey background.

So typical of a web R&D dept doing very little R and absolutely no D!

These changes should not be released until they have been fully developed and tested 'in house' to ensure all functionality of what is being replaced is fully replicated (or improved) in the replacement.

Why don't they just do what most of the other magazines I read online do and publish these as a PDF. You still have to be a subscriber to access them so what's the problem?

Gray

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest