By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gray

Here is a list of all the postings Gray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Jobs
31/07/2020 16:29:27

Posted by Bazyle:

"Army - this was invented to supress the people and protect the monarch with defence of the realm only brought in when said morarch wanted more subjects to supress.

airforce is only needed to support the navy which is only needed for border patrols so both can be reduced in size, privitised and paid on results."

HOW DARE YOU! What an arrogant, misinformed,Ill considered and insulting statement, obviously you have never taken the Queens shilling and served your country!

You seem to forget the role all three armed forces take in support and relief during natural disasters, famine, and other situations other than conflict and war.

Having spent the best part of my adult life in The Royal Air Force and having worked alongside all three services as a civilian support engineer for a number of years I find narrow minded individuals like yourself absolutely detestable.

Thread: Dodgy Lathe on Ebay
22/07/2020 17:42:27

I would agree with the OP that the lathe shown on ebay is the same lathe shown on lathes.co.uk, looking carefully at the pictures, it would appear that the images on lathes.co.uk have been cropped from the originals which leads me to the assumption that the ebay seller provided Tony with the images and not that they have been 'lifted' from his site for the purposes of deception.

As Jason quite rightly says, contacting the seller for clarification would be the best way to go rather than raising suspicion needlessly. It one thing to be cautious and there have been too many ebay scams to warrant taking things at face value however, one should not cast aspersions without first validating ones suspicion.

Gray

Thread: Milling power feed
14/06/2020 20:09:54

For a fairly decent Rotary table controller, have a look at Steve Ward's controller, can be bought as a kit of parts or ready made modules just requiring a box and stepper driver + psu to complete.

I have built a couple of these and prefer them to my DivisionMaster, which is an alternative although a lot more expensive option.

Gray

Thread: Femi Hem Saw 782XL
07/06/2020 07:55:39

Axminster sell a 13A grounded Schuko converter similar to the one shown in Jasons post

Thread: Workshop Gloves
30/05/2020 08:44:37

It is highly inadvisable to wear gloves of any sort when working on or near rotating machinery, this includes but not limited to lathes, milling machines, drill press etc. Wearing gloves while working on these types of machine increases the risk of being caught and pulled into the machine, the consequences can be grave.

On a lighter note, if you are cleaning down a stationary, power isolated machine or fitting/removing chucks etc, then gloves can be worn to advantage, have a look at the site range of gloves from screwfix, reasonably prices and as good as you will get.

Thread: Hardness Tester
20/05/2020 11:56:20

I have a hankering to build a hardness tester, I recall seeing one described in Model engineer back in the late 80's by Dave Lammas, unfortunately I no longer have access to those and was wondering if anyone had a copy of the articles that they could share.

Thread: Zinc based alloy?
30/04/2020 22:13:34
Posted by Samsaranda on 30/04/2020 20:56:40:

To sidetrack the subject, Dave’s (SOD) mention of using an angle grinder indoors brings back memories of when I used one to cut a doorway indoors, it was many years ago but I still have to tread carefully when mentioning angle grinders within earshot of my long suffering wife.
Dave W

Glad I'm not the only one, despite having 'sealed' myself in whilst cutting out a section of block wall in the living room, wife came home to find the living room (and the basket of clean washing) awash with grey dust, to top it all, it was a few days before Christmas, just a shame the video of me on the patio vacuuming the Christmas tree did not win me £250

Thread: Clarkson autolock help
30/04/2020 21:38:52

Used one of my large Clarkson autolocks today, 24mm slot drill. Procedure: fit collet, screw in nose piece hand tight, screw cutter up tight by hand, job done. cut 4 recesses to fit some thrust bearings, fairly low speed job, only cutting 4mm deep each time. Needed the spanner to loosen the nose piece but, the cutter height had not changed, which I think goes to prove that once seated correctly the cutter will not move but the collet does move and tighten as the cutter meets the work.

During my apprenticeship, I was also informed by my mentor to back off the nose before fitting the cutter then tighten up with the spanner. Being a headstrong northerner (and coming from a long line of marine engineers who taught me well as a youngster and owning a Centec mill fitted with an autolock chuck), I duly informed said mentor that his method was incorrect and that I would fit the cutters in the correct manner, not his way, as may be expected this did not go down too well and was given a b*ll***** for being a smart arse.

So first job required a 1/4" cutter, mentor set up 'his way' half way through and bang, removed cutter to find it split in the back and snapped just below the threads. So smart arse fits a new cutter 'the correct way', finishes job and two more and returns undamaged cutter to the box. "I told you so' saw me running out of the workshop to avoid a clout with a big tap wrench

Moral, just 'cos thats the way you've always done it don't make it rite!

Thread: Covid 19 how much kit do you need
22/04/2020 09:22:18
Posted by Steviegtr on 22/04/2020 02:40:01:

This guy is locked down, so how much tooling does he need.

Tooling for the workshop

Steve.

For clarity, what exactly is the point you are trying to make, he had all this kit BEFORE he was in lockdown, what has this post got to do with the current situation?

Thread: Need measurements of Derek's tube bender
17/04/2020 16:37:23

Hi Andy,

I have a pdf of the article which zooms quite well and the dimensions are readable, PM me your email address and I'll send it along.

Gray

Thread: New member with new (to me) Myford ML7
15/04/2020 17:01:13

The Amateur's lathe by L.H Sparey is well worth a read

Gray

Thread: Steam valves
13/04/2020 09:26:17

Bri,

you have a PM

Gray

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
22/02/2020 18:37:36

Got a bit more work done on the 4 facet drill grinding attachment for my wetstone sharpener today, machined up the drill clamp and did a trial assembly before finessing it.

drill_holder1.jpgdrill_holder2.jpgdrill_holder3.jpg

Not too happy with the guide bar bridge, it slipped in the vice because I was too lazy to swap the jaws so there are a couple of marks on it, will probably remake that at some point but other than that everything fits together nicely and operates smoothly.

Thread: Miller Machine -
18/02/2020 14:29:28

Has many similarities to an Emco FB2 however there are also many clones around have a look here

Thread: Non tilting; tilting head.....tilt
17/12/2019 19:36:42

How 'loose are the bolts that you have undone? It is possible if they are too loose that one of them has dropped back into the recess that allows them to be fed into the circular tee slot that they run in. Try nipping up the bolts and then just loosen enough to permit movement and see if that allows the head to be rotated.

Can you post a picture of the head showing the bolts you have loosened.

Thread: TEST THREAD
15/12/2019 22:28:25
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/12/2019 21:26:12:
Posted by peak4 on 15/12/2019 21:08:51:

A test from another thread

5130-12-145-6396 to see if it changes to skype

nsn 5130-12-145-6396

Well that seemed to work OK, using Opera on W10, but I don't have Skype as a browser plugin

Now see if you can edit it back to plain text, Bill

MichaelG.

5130-12-145-6396

I just copied then pasted as plain text, using Chrome on a Mac, OS Mojave. I use Skype all the time, never come across this type of issue before, odd behaviour.

Gray

Edited By Gray on 15/12/2019 22:31:11

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
15/12/2019 17:36:37

I have wanted a four facet grinding jig for my Scheppach Wetstone grinder but couldn't justify nearly 200 beer tokens for a genuine Tormek jig.

Raided the scrap box and found some 10mm ally plate left over from a commission job with these hiding inside.

4 facet jig-1.jpg

and assembled they look like this

4 facet-2.jpg

These form the fixed base and cross slide of the jig. I need to find some slippery material in a square bar form to make bearing surfaces so I don't have metal to metal contact which will wear over time. Now have to make the top plate which rotates to set the grind point angle and adjust depth of cut and a drill holder, haven't yet decided on the format for that but an ER collet block or 5C are options as I have a good set of both imperial and metric of both types.

Thread: Plumbers Jointing Paste ???
12/12/2019 07:24:57

Boss white and most of the similar products are only rated for low pressure steam (up to 7 bar or 100psi) and temps around the 200 deg c mark.

I've been using Rocol steam seal for many years in higher temp/pressure applications, this is rated at 193 bar (2800psi) and has a temp range up to 600 deg c

Thread: Hello from the North East
05/12/2019 17:29:55

welcome to the madhouse, as a raw beginner don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no daft questions (although you may get some daft answers )

You haven't said what your budget is for a drilling machine but, if space is limited and with your aspirations of building a loco and clocks, you may want to look at a suitably sized bench top milling machine. You can drill with a milling machine but you can't effectively mill with a drilling machine. Some have tried and had varying success but a drilling machine is not designed for the loads presented when milling. Just some food for thought.

Whereabouts in the North East do you hail from,I was born in Hartlepool and grew up in the Middlesbrough area but flew south many years ago with work and have settled in Hampshire.

Gray

Thread: Interface PCB for the ELS project
24/11/2019 08:34:20

Hi Phil, component kit arrived safely,

many thanks

Gray

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest