By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gray

Here is a list of all the postings Gray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vertical Spindle Surface Grinder
09/11/2019 21:37:45

George, rather than printing to your printer, in the print dialog, select the print destination as print to pdf, I haven't used MS windows for several years now but there used to be a program that allowed printing several pages to a single pdf, I now use a MAC and achieve the same result using the 'open in preview' function.

Details of your operating system, version, Browser type and version and printer details will assist in finding a solution to your problem. I've never had any problems printing pages from the older digital archives, cannot say the same for the more recent ones using the current abomination of a magazine reader!

Gray

Thread: John Bogstandard's projects.
06/11/2019 16:26:26

Ron, If you follow Jasons link to Johns photobucket, then go to later pics, page 16 you will find the tramming tool

Thread: Interface PCB for the ELS project
05/11/2019 17:37:48

Hi Phil, I would take a component set, already have one of your excellent quality boards.

cheers

Gray

Thread: New lathe next week
02/11/2019 08:18:39

I put a DRO on both my lathes several years ago and wouldn't be without, although I do have a problem reading the handwheel dials due a vision problem so the big numbers on a DRO head are an absolute necessity for accurate work. If they are within budget and justifiable, then get one.

Gray

Thread: Interface PCB for the ELS project
28/10/2019 17:42:14

Hi Phil, I'm sure I posted this at the weekend but it seems to have disappeared.

Many thanks, received the board on Friday, it looks to be excellent quality. Your documentation downloaded fine.

You may have mentioned this in the other thread but I couldn't find it, Where did you get the boards from?

Kind regards

Gray

22/10/2019 19:45:28

Hi Phil,

I'll take a board from you

regards

Gray

Thread: Stepper power for autofeed on lathe
21/10/2019 15:55:26
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 20/10/2019 12:21:57:

All works as intended, fully capable running both metric & imperial feeds/threads on my metric lathe at the touch of a button, only problem is that the Nema24 stepper rated at 4 Nm is only giving 2.3 Nm so slightly underpowered, the supplier refunded the money & let me keep the motor.

Tony, how are you measuring the power of your steppers, I have some I would like to verify before I put them to work.

thanks

Gray

Thread: DRO magnetic encoders - generic?
16/10/2019 22:36:02

Have a look at EMS-I, I have their consoles on both lathe and mill (4 axis on the mill which allows combining quill and knee read heads) The scales are a mix of EMS-I, Machine-DRO and an old glass scale that was on the mill when I bought it. All work without problem.

Thread: What are members thoughts on Gap Bed lathes ?
07/10/2019 20:32:04

Having owned both Chester and Warco machines (both current lathes are from Warco) and having experienced after sales from both, my money would always go to Warco.

I've owned a GH1330 for 14 years, the gap piece comes out frequently and goes back without issue, never had any alignment issues and the lathe turns parallel (within acceptable tolerances for the work I do)

Gray

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
07/10/2019 20:26:56

'The point of PME (parallel multiple earth)'

The correct terminology for PME is Protective Multiple Earth, and is also known as Tn-C-S. (For those interested, Further detail can be found here.

Thread: 3 Phase
29/09/2019 08:27:54

Without going into too much motor theory, hope this helps to explain:

Reversing a 3 phase motor involves changing the phase rotation, there are only 2 possible phase sequences for a 3 phase system 1-2-3 or 3-2-1, reverse any 2 phases and the motor changes direction.

However, reversing 1 winding will not reverse the motor. Each winding is electrically oriented to produce the required N-S magnetic field, as the phase rotate around the connections, so the N-S field in each coil progresses round the stator, effectively ‘pulling’ the rotor with it. Each coil in the stator is not a single winding but several that are interleaved so the stator is magnetically connected at multiple points around its axis. Swapping the orientation of one of these field winding groups essentially puts part of the rotating field into a S-N magnetic orientation in relation to the other windings and will therefore ‘buck’ against the rotation. Invariably this will prevent the rotor spinning and cause excessive heat in the stator windings eventually burning out the stator.

Thread: Chuck
26/09/2019 07:12:47

For your ML7 rather than a MT2 chuck, (for which you would also require a drawbar), why not buy a ER25 backplate mounting chuck and suitable backplate, That way, if you are holding long stock you can pass it through and into the bore of the spindle, with MT2 you will be very restricted in what length of stock you can accommodate.

Gray

Thread: Syil X3 CNC Spindle Failed
12/09/2019 19:39:56

Michael, I just tried on my iPad Pro and pressing on the image for a few seconds brings up a context menu which gives the option to open the image in a new tab, which then reveals the image url. I use chrome as my browser. Using Safari, it only offers to save or copy. Install chrome it gives a lot more functionality than Safari.

12/09/2019 15:58:00

If that is the same motor on your Syil machine, then why not buy the controller that Arc sell.

Thread: Warco lathe mill attachment
09/09/2019 19:59:44
Posted by old mart on 09/09/2019 19:52:20:

Check that your lathe has the mill attachment on the back of the bed. I remember adverts for that type of lathe which came with or without the mill attachment, and there was a warning that the plain lathe could not be retrofitted with the mill.

If space is at an absolute premium, then there is no point in trying to point you in the direction of a separate mill.

Edited By old mart on 09/09/2019 19:54:51

All of the WM250V lathes have the attachment points for the mill head, they also have the deeper backsplash to allow fitting without it fouling as it would on the older WM250 machines. One thing to note is that if you have fitted a glass DRO scale on the Z axis, the mill attachment will not fit.

I had a mill head for my 250V but got rid as it was of limited use and the lathe is destined for a CNC conversion.

Personally I would not go down this route and would make/find space for a separate milling machine.

Gray

Thread: Calculating DRO For Mill Z Axis
09/09/2019 19:52:09

For the additional cost of the M-DRO summing box on top of a 3 axis display, you can buy a 4 axis display head from EMS-I that allows each axis to be displayed separately as well as allowing selected axis to be summed. I have one on my Ajax Turret mill, no complaints so far, I also have their 3 axis on one of the lathes, no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

Gray

Thread: How to upset the neighbours!
09/09/2019 09:45:38

Replica of a Sebring race car. Looks like the present owner has changed a few bits, can't see the roll cage or bucket seats (that's if it is the same car as I'm remembering from some while back)

Thread: Warco GH600
10/08/2019 18:27:56
Posted by Ian Thomson 2 on 04/08/2019 10:26:38:

I am planning to use these machine casters:

20190804_095911.jpg

20190804_095924.jpg

20190804_095929.jpg

103mm high and rated at 500kg each / 1000kg per 4.

They have a large central rubber foot that screws down.

Probably overkill, but I am going to use 4 on each pedestal to allow for fine tuning the leveling.

They will allow the lathe to be easily moved should the need ever arise.

Ian, where did you get those castors from? could do with some like that for one of my grinding machines.

Gray

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 19:04:46

Chester Cobra combi machine

Chester Model B - regretted from day 1

Myford ML7, never used bought, refurbished and sold to fund other projects

Warco WMT300/2 (the one without the mill head, good machine and often regretted selling on

Warco GH1330, 15 years old and still giving good service

Warco WM250V - 4 years old and still waiting for its CNC or ELS conversion (not decided which yet)

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 18:49:15

First on was a Chester cobra combi machine, the mill is similar to a seig x1, good enough machine but rapidly outgrew it. Next came a Chester Model B Combi machine, regretted right from the off as it was not rigid enough and the mill was virtually useless.

After that I bought a Hyundai badged X2 clone, and also acquired a Warco ZX15 round column mill. Both did their job well but when the opportunity arose to purchase a fully tooled Ajax AJT4 turret mill, for less money that the tooling alone was worth, the small mills went. The Ajax is a big machine but is more than capable of everything I will need.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne; London MES
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest