By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for IanT

Here is a list of all the postings IanT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What became of Don Gordon's "High Precision/Low Cost"
22/02/2013 10:10:57

I agree with you Lawrence.

I read all his articles in ME and even went to the extent of copying them and sticking them in a plastic folder (which I've just been looking for without too much success). There were lots of very good ideas contained within Don's writings but his underlying argument was that simple methods, executed with care could yeild excellent results for anyone engaged in small scale modelling.

I think Don was the first person I read to recommend the use of small section (1/8" ) tooling - a practice i adopted as my 'norm' then and still routinely use (unless i have a very good reason/need to use larger section tooling). As Don states - it is much easier and quicker to sharpen small tooling and to keep them in tip-top condition (than larger tooling) and that generally they are more than adequate for most jobs (and certainly for much of the work I do).

I'm not aware that his work was ever published per se but I do agree that it is a very useful read - not only for rhe examples Don gives but also as a simple approach to getting good results.

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 22/02/2013 10:11:21

Thread: Cross vice + grinder = Quorn?
17/02/2013 22:57:51

Thanks for the photos Les - very helpful.

John - I might have some rusty black angle iron somewhere down the shed but I'm fairly certain that I don't have any non-rusty stuff anywhere (just about everything in my shed is rusty!) - so please put a hold on that redesign.

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 17/02/2013 22:58:23

17/02/2013 10:30:24

Hi Les,

Any chance of a couple of more photos of your arrnagement please - one from the side and one a bit closer up of the table arrangement ?

Regards, IanT

Thread: Lathe Slitting Table
16/02/2013 09:44:04

It is Ian SC - look at PM July 1958 - Page 189

For those who don't know - you can find PM here;

**LINK**

Regards,

Ian T

Thread: Revised boiler test code
13/02/2013 17:22:14

Well I assume the "if practical" bit will be up to the Boiler Tester to interpret & decide.

If you have four or five engines to test of a morning, it's one thing to hydralic test them by whipping out the safety valves and screwing in your test rig (together with a quick visual) and another thing altogether to try and remove (and blank) off the superheater.

But as this matter seems to rely on the discretion of the Boiler Tester, I supect that in practice it will not therefore be an issue for most people. I hope not, as unscrewing mine is a pain at the best of times and there would not be too much room to fit a blanking plug (at least whilst the boiler is still in-situ).

So I don't think it will be "practical" in most caes....and I very much doubt many BT's will want to do it. I'm not going to worry too much about this (nor debate the neccessity of it) until I actually get asked to do it by my friendly local BT!

Regards,

IanT

Thread: MEW200
10/02/2013 10:37:13

To be honest - I received my copy yesterday and I thought it was just a little mundane for a 200th (and presumably therefore special) Edition.

I also really wish that they would not place advertisments (7 pages of them) inside the main body of the magazine section. I like to book-bind my copies and don't really want to include this material too.

So no cigars from me I'm afraid.

IanT

Thread: Is LBSC correct
04/02/2013 09:01:19

I have one of those hones Norman - but not used it just yet. I will certainly use your idea when I do.

Thank you.

Regards,

IanT

PS How are you holding the part? The jaws seem to be clamping the lid.

Edited By IanT on 04/02/2013 09:02:47

Thread: Stringer EW lathe
02/02/2013 10:31:28

Hallo Alan,

It looks promising but I think somephotos would help me understand it a little better. So I look forward to seeing how you progress this project. Always easier to follow where someone has gone before!

Once again - thank you for sharing this with us.

Regards,

Ian T

Thread: An announcement from the Editor of Model Engineer.
02/02/2013 10:22:29

I've been quite enjoying reading the LBSC articles David and as they were originally in English Mechanics - personally I've not seen them before.

Perhaps they also remind us that people had to make do with a lot less in the way of equipment in those days and that you can do a great deal on a lathe without needing the luxury of a milling machine. Some of the tecniques described by LBSC are still very useful but don't tend to get mentioned so much these days as most modern 'Authors' use a mill.

So I hope Diane will continue to publish some of LBSC's more obscure material (e.g. non-ME articles) from time to time as it is of interest to some of us.

Regards,

IanT

Thread: Stringer EW lathe
29/01/2013 12:38:26

Hi Michael,

Yes - I was forgetting the "Drummond" reference!

I'll see whether I have that one (2608) too - and report back.

Alan - I'll be in touch once resolved.

Regards,

IanT

29/01/2013 09:36:34

I think i've found the relevant issue thanks Michael - No 2528 "In the Workshop" No 49 - A Saddle Traversing Gear & Fine Feed.

The design basically uses an intermediate set of gears that are disengaded by means of a 'bobbin' activated by a lever. As some modification to the quadrant is required, Duplex suggested that it would probably be best to use a dedicated quadrant for the unit and swop between this and the standard one as required.

Alan - if you would like to examine this design (for the ML7) I will scan it and send you a copy by PM.

Regards,

IanT

28/01/2013 10:45:06

Michael,

A quick ME Index check suggests that the Duplex articles you refer to might be part of their "In the Workshop" series. Volume 101 - Issues 2528, 2530 & 2532 may be the ones to look at I think. I'll see if I've got them this evening.

Regards,

Ian T

26/01/2013 17:28:11

I've always wondered how Mr Stringer meant his customers to mount the Vertical Slide quite honestly Andy.

I am certain that the V/S is original EW equipment but with a single hole - I can only assume that it was meant to go on top of the cross slide - not the most stable mounting and mine won't quite fit (I think the toolpost pillar on mine is slightly bent).

It makes much more sense to mount it on the boring table (also EW O/E) but it clearly won't mount as made. So a simple adaptor plate was made and seems to work very well. As you will see the tailstock has been removed simply for ease - it would be possible to work without it but I perfer to get it out of the way.

I do quite like the idea of a geared leadscrew handle - but my work-rate it too low to add any more 'projects' to my list - life is too short (and getting shorter I'm afraid) and I would very much like to finish some of my other projects! The odd steam engine for instance!

Regards,

Ian T

25/01/2013 10:34:13

I wonder whether such precision is really neccessary in practice Andy.

A simple leadscrew dial with a diameter of 2" would provide a dial circumference of 6.28" - so I could divide it by 12.5 and still have 0.5"+ between major divisions (each division being 10 thou). The addittion of a saddle stop, possibly with the option to fit an adjustable micrometer head would probably be more than enough for most of my turning needs on the EW. Generally I think I'd prefer to have some idea of where I am - but leave the "precision" to something mechanical (especially when boring for instance).

(Co-incidentally - a well-known online supplier sells a very nice little micrometer head for about £10 - I've just purchased one but not used it in anger yet).

Is it so awkward to have 12 major 10' divisions and a 5' last division?

It occurs to me to mention that for many years I tended to measure smaller distances in mm as I found fractional inch measurements much harder to manage (although a friend can add a long list of 'fractionals in his head - apparently converts it all to 64ths and then goes back). Personally, I used to always converted any smaller imperial measures into 'mm' for CAD drawings etc.

However, I have now returned to Imperial and prefer to work in 'thous' (which is a decimal system). It is just as easy use as 'mm' and most of my equipment is quite old and they mostly have imperial dials. My tooling is a mix of metric & imperial tooling - but I have a simple printed list (courtesy Excel) of common metric & fractional sizes > thous that I use and I've quickly become used to working in this way. All my new CAD drawings will now be in decimal Imperial (Inches/Thous). May sound like a step back - but it seems to work well for me. I'm not trying to reignite this age old argumemnt by the way - just stating how my preferences have evolved.

Regards, Ian T

24/01/2013 23:13:28

I agree about the utility of being able to take the tailstock on and off easily Alan. Mine gets removed with great freequency and this is likely to happen even more as things progress.

I have 'considered' this problem (but not got much further I'm afraid) and had decided that a larger dial and handle would be very useful (2"+) but that I would need to make it quickly removable - so some form of quick engage/disengage.

I also find that I'm using the boring table more and more and I'm getting tired of changing between this and the normal topslide. So one of my high priority jobs will be to make a simple mounting to fit my economy QCTH to the boring table - as I don't often seem to need to taper turn. Of course this will require the larger leadscrew dial to enable putting on the cut (using the topslide at the moment generally) and will also bring forward a saddle stop I suspect.

Still working on various things and one of them (boiler test pump) is progressing well. Photo is of EW Vertical slide mounted (via a simple adaptor plate) on the boring table. I'd just milled flats top and bottom on the ram yoke and I was about to cut the slot in the middle. Everything went well I'm pleased to report. The pump body is sat on the side of the boring table for reference.

EW & Vertical Slide

Hope this finds everyone well.

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 24/01/2013 23:15:57

Thread: Sourcing small/light 1/3 HP Motors?
19/01/2013 12:15:54

Andy - I already have a Proxxon flexible drive and one of those (unfinished) projects I mentioned is to set it up with some form of centre height holder (in the tool-post or vertical slide) but with a means to 'peck' as I will only use it with smaller drills. I also have a much heavier drive but I'm not sure how it would hold up to this type of application.

Michael - I've pondered quite a few variations on 'overheads' & other ways to provide a 'non-attached' drive source. I must admit, I've not had much luck with the round plastic belting that you join with a hot knife. It seemed to whip a lot and dosen't seem to take too kindly to smaller pulleys. My Cowells drill needs a new belt currently but I'm thinking about changing it to a more conventional set-up (rear motor/small V-belt) because of this problem. Of course, the belting problems could just be my own ineptitude - certainly wouldn't be the first time!

However a "Dwarf" drive (a la BCA) could be an option as I have other potential uses for the Taig head (and other tooling) and not all them will easily allow an attached motor. On the EW for instance - to horizontally mill work in the chuck.

It's immdiate incarnation (and the reason for this post) however is for mounting on the rear of the EW bed - so that work can be milled vertcally on the EW boring table. I've used my existing "large" vertcal slide as the basis of the milling fixture and this will already mount on the cross slide of my Super7 - so it will also hopefully find some use there. So a self-contained unit is more attractive with respect to the vertical application of the head (and it's already built with this in mind).

Regards, IanT

Thread: Free Speech
19/01/2013 11:39:18

Given the history from last year (yes, I do read the Editorials), I'm really not suprised that a little caution was exercised here. In Davids place, I would have done exactly the same. This is not censorship or a 'freedom of spech' issue or anything else - it's simply commercial caution.

We live in an age of litigation, ambulance chasers and other blights that were unknown in this Country just 10-15 years ago. Fear of legal action is the reason many ME Society's have taken Limited Company status after all.

There are many ways to check weaher conditions (Web, TV, Radio) - so I don't see this as a real problem for the Gentleman - but I'm sure MHS don't want any more agrevation in this area - so let's be a bit more understanding and get this Forum back to Model Engineering please.

Regards, IanT

Thread: Sourcing small/light 1/3 HP Motors?
19/01/2013 11:04:43

I don't really know about the grinder Keith - but it's certainly an idea - I brought a small one a couple of years ago for about £20 (new) intended as the heart of a dedicated grinding set-up that hasn't quite been finished yet (I've a few of those I'm afraid!).

i've found the price list at Peatol now (thanks Andy) and that will remain an option if my other bodges fail. My wife now has a new mixer (truthfully the old one had a broken plastic switch that I couldn't easily repair - that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I've removed the motor from it but not done anything else with it so far. It look to be useful whether it ends up on the Taig or not (so good idea Ian SC).

My immediate job (a boiler test pump) needed a yoke machined but I managed that last night using the EW vertical slide and a simple adaptor plate I've made to fix it on the boring table. I do actually finish things occasionally, just not always in the order I originally planned. Bit by bit though you build up all those things that make life easier or figure out how to do things with what you have - and things start to move along more.

I already have a large mill in the Shed but I'm not going down there in this cold, partly because of my arthritis, I guess I'm very much a fair-weather machinist when it comes to cold Sheds.

Thank you again everyone for your advice.

Regards, Ian T

18/01/2013 11:32:18

Thanks Andy,

I did look at the Peatol site but couldn't find any motors/pricing. I'll have another look.

(I've still not gone beyond the point of 'no-return' with the wife's mixer - although its 180W)

Regards,

IanT

17/01/2013 15:34:11

Thank you Ian SC for your earlier comment about 'shaded pole' motors (I had to look it up on Wikipedia!) - and lack of starting torque was what made me think the motor was underpowered.

However, your most recent posting has brought on another evil thought!

I'm sure SWMBO has a food mixer with a broken switch. I may have to offer to fix it for her and (if it seems to fit the bill) perhaps find that it is "beyond economic repair". devil

Regards,

IanT

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest