By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for the artfull-codger

Here is a list of all the postings the artfull-codger has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Old School Projects
09/08/2020 18:49:14

Hi Bosun, we had an alloy flamefast crucible furnace which I helped 6th formers to produce castings for their major projects & then they machined them on the lathe & milling machine,[they loved it], the steam engines were made in our lunch hour [not part of the curriculum] unfortunately when I eventually retired I offered to leave my jigs etc for the steam engines but alas not wanted, ps I'm the technician not a teacher & as a model engineer it was like getting paid for doing your hobby, I loved the job,

Graham.

08/08/2020 19:41:37
Posted by Bo'sun on 08/08/2020 14:23:30:

Hello Graham,

My apologies, yes I did get your pm, but didn't realise it was there. Many thanks for your kind offer, but another of this excellent forums members has furnished me with the book.

That's ok Bosun as long as you got fixed up, they're good robust egines,I bought my copper tube from a local plumbers merchants as it's a commercial size,cast base cost nothing as we used the schools foundry,when you have your own foundry people get to know & all sorts of brass/alloy bronze & iron turn up free or for the odd favour,brass cast at home & sheet steel from autojumbles,I got the price down to £18.00 good luck with the build.

Graham.

08/08/2020 13:42:58
Posted by Bo'sun on 02/07/2020 16:02:31:

Good afternoon,

I'm nearing completion of the T.E.Haynes "Hot Air Engine" project, aimed at school students. It was a project I completed too many moons ago to mention. I thought I might try his "Steam Engine" project in the same series.

Does anyone know where I might find a copy of said publication? I've tried the usual sources without success.

Hi Bosun,did you get my pm about the te haynes book? I've built 4 of these & taught 12 lads to build them at the school I worked at,I made a pattern to cast the bases in alloy instead of the pressed metal ones,& had an article published in me a few yrs ago about the lads building them,I have a [bit tatty well used!] photocopy of the book your welcome to if you haven't got fixed up with one

Graham.

Graham.

Thread: Unknown object
24/04/2020 18:49:57

Your welcome Paul,thats the beauty of "our forum" there's always someone to help when you need it.

Graham.

23/04/2020 17:40:18

It's a saw set, I have ther identical one & use it regularly as I cut lots of wood for out rayburn cooker I like it better than my eclipse for circular saw blades

Graham.

Thread: cylinder boring
19/02/2020 19:47:44

Looks like a genuine Keats Philip, made by exe engineering,I have the same model.they did a smaller one as well,I have a smaller one but not a Keats, it does the job but genuine keats are real quality.

Graham.

Thread: Tapping drill sizes?
19/02/2020 19:43:14

Haha yes it is Mick,as my old one gets more worn I keep my eyes open at autojumbnles for older ones in good condition.

Graham.

19/02/2020 18:05:08

Thanks Russell I'll put that on the workshop wall along with 640

Graham.

19/02/2020 15:40:39

Some of the more modern zeus books don't give the diameter of ba threads just the tapping drill sizes, if your threading whit/bsf & bsp threads in the lathe use the constant 640, ie divide your tpi into 640 & you get the thread depth within a thou but on ba it's within a few thou.

Graham.

Thread: Stewart Hart
06/01/2020 22:49:19

Hi Stewart,thank you very much for your kind offer,I've messaged you with my email address,

Graham.

Thread: lathe cutting fluid.
05/01/2020 18:06:22

I usually use castrol hysol "white water" for turning & only mix small amounts & apply with an oil can so doesn't get time to smell[like it used to when I had it in the sump & pumped it] & about 20 yrs ago I bought 5 gallons of rocol rtd for a few quid [shared it with all my mates] downside was it was the heavy type so I just mix it with a little white spirit to make it runny for the oil can,

Graham.

Thread: Stewart Hart
05/01/2020 10:04:34

Thanks Bill,yes it is, & thank you Jason,for replying [I knew I wouldn't be let down] got called away so couldn't reply earlier.

04/01/2020 17:40:42

Quick question,anyone know the date of the model engineer that Stewart first published his start of the horizontal steam engine please.

Thread: Bandsaw blades
26/08/2019 20:32:52
Posted by Gary Wooding on 23/08/2019 10:52:35:

I wrote ***THIS*** article for MEW about soldering bandsaw blades a few years ago.

Hi Gary, thanks for the details of your jig, as I said I made one years ago,I like yours better as you can awivel the clamps to apply a little tension to keep the blades tight together,also like the" angle grinding attatchment," even though I have the wadkin I'm going to make one like yours.

22/08/2019 21:19:57
Posted by john fletcher 1 on 22/08/2019 09:25:55:

Yes Wadkin did make or just supply a band saw blade brazer, for their large band saws, we had one at work. If a centre needed to be cut out in a large piece of wood, the machinists cut the blade, poked the blade through the hole, which had already been bored in the wood, then brazed the blade up again and carried on working. I silver solder blades as outful doger does above. Not always successful, but one can use up odd parts of blades that way.

Interesting John,your the only person that I've spoken to thats heard about the wadkin brazer,I picked mine up from rufforth autojumble near york years ago.

21/08/2019 18:51:59

I've a home made jig & silver solder the scarfed joint first flattening a piece of silver solder on the anvil then placing it in between the ends with wet flux & using a sievert torch with a small burner, never found the need to anneal or line up the teeth,works every time,I was at an autujumble & picked up a genuine wadkin bursgreen brazer, electric, with clamps etc quite a heavy cast device, nice to use but no better than my home made one,just a bit more nice & convenient to use, never ever seen one before or since but if wadkin made a brazing machine it must be ok to braze blades.

Thread: Blued metal cleading
18/06/2019 19:24:10

Just a quick one, there's a place not far from me called Ingleby Barwick which the newcomers insist it's pronounced like that [makes the place sound better] but all the kids from there I went to school with in yarm called it ingleby barrick after all you wouldn't say berwick on tweed you'd say berrick on tweed,& the wynds in yarm are pronounced weend if your from yarm of course the newcomers who say wynd tell you your wrong [I'm 4th generation & all said weend, it's wynd in darlington, & chop gate which is local & farmers from there I know call it that but they say it's the townies that call it chop yat!!

Graham.

18/06/2019 19:09:56

I've always known it to be pronounced cladding even for the large company I worked for always said cladding, another one is Gib or is it jib? & we always say thrasher where I live [the missus comes from a long line of farming stock! ]some may say thresher,suppose it all depends on where you come from.

Graham [foreigners on the phone just cannot pronounce my name!!]

Thread: water supply
18/06/2019 18:56:11

Where I live in north yorkshire we get our water from keilder & we've never had a hosepipe ban,I have a large veg garden & have storage tanks on the house,workshop,barn & garage,about 800 gallons & we're on a meter as only the 2 of us,the last thing I want to do is pay for water for the garden,when you pay your water bill the sewerage rate is based on water used so I suppose "technicnally" if you use rainwater to flush the toilet your actually fiddling them.

Thread: Smart & Brown model A drawings
07/06/2019 17:48:10

Thanks for that info "O M" good of you to reply, I'll look at the yahoo group

Regards Graham.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest